Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Senate Bails Out Dairy Industry With $1 Billion of Taxpayer Money

U.S. Senate Bails Out Dairy Industry With $1 Billion of Taxpayer Money

Earlier this week, the United States Senate signed a budget agreement to hand over $1 billion of taxpayer money to the dying dairy industry.

Supporters of the agreement say the money will be used for programs to help the industry recover from falling dairy prices. A major cause of this slump is the consumer shift away from dairy and toward healthier, more responsible alternatives.

According to a 2013 USDA report, dairy consumption has been on the decline for decades, with each generation consuming less milk than the one before. In fact, dairy consumption has fallen a whopping 40 percent since 1970.

Sadly, the budget agreement isn’t the first time U.S. taxpayers have been forced to bail out the dairy industry. In 2016, after a group of legislators urged the USDA to help dairy farmers, the department bought 11 million pounds of cheese—20 million dollars’ worth—to reduce surplus inventories.

Why does the U.S. government keep bailing out the dairy industry? The answer is simple: It has a vested interest. You’ve probably never heard of Dairy Management Incorporated, but this devious government-sponsored marketing group’s sole mission is to push consumption of dairy products in the U.S. and elsewhere.
    Read more... http://www.mercyforanimals.org/us-se...ndustry-with-1
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I guess a crack addict could also be helped by being provided more crack.

With such gradual and steady decline, the dairy industry should be making adjustments and not making too much cheese...
    No - No - No - No

Cotton and Dairy Ride on Senate Budget Package

2/8/2018

The budget agreement written by Senate leaders includes more than $1 billion for dairy supports as well as larger subsidies for cotton growers, who have pursued aid that could cost as much as the dairy enhancements. Besides providing immediate assistance to producers, the provisions would mean, under arcane score-keeping rules, that farm-state lawmakers can spend more money on cotton and dairy in the 2018 farm bill than is available now.

Michigan Senator Debbie Stabenow, the senior Democrat on the Senate Agriculture Committee, announced that the budget package “contains significant improvements for both commodities — including more than $1 billion for our struggling dairy farmers.” Cotton and dairy producers say the insurance-like supports created in the 2014 farm law have been woefully inadequate.

When the USDA gave dairy farmers the chance last fall to drop out of the so-called Margin Protection Program (MPP), enrollment dropped by 75%. The cotton subsidy, called STAX, has attracted relatively few growers and “due to lower cotton prices, it has provided lower revenue than producers expected at the time of the bill’s passage,” said Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue this week.

Senate Democratic Leader Charles Schumer said the dairy provision in the budget agreement will “fix problems with the old MPP and provide a pathway to new, customizable insurance tools in the future.”

In a release, Schumer said the dairy proposal would “invest over $1 billion into the dairy safety net for family dairy farmers” with steps that reduce premiums by up to 80% for small- and medium-size operators; waive fees for beginning, veteran, and underserved farmers; “make the program more responsive to drops in prices and increases in feed costs, and trigger payments more quickly; and allow farmers to enroll for 2018 coverage or change their coverage level.” The provision would also remove a $20 million limit on USDA spending on livestock insurance policies, “allowing for the creation of customizable dairy risk-management tools.”

The 2014 law created STAX, a revenue insurance program with a guaranteed minimum price for the fiber, to resolve a World Trade Organization ruling against the longtime U.S. cotton program. Growers have suggested various ways to make their crop eligible for the same subsidies available to grain and soybean farmers, such as declaring that cottonseed is a vegetable oil crop or creating a support for “seed cotton” — unginned cotton with lint still attached to the seed. The American Enterprise Institute, a free-market think tank, says the plans could cost from $630 million to as much as $1.5 billion a year.

The budget accord would allow hundreds of billions of dollars in military and domestic spending over the next two years, said the New York Times. The package “would effectively negate” President Trump’s proposals for major increases in military spending on one hand and sweeping cuts to domestic programs on the other. The White House is scheduled to release its fiscal 2019 budget proposal on Monday, “but the deal — championed by the top congressional leaders from his own party — amounts to an unequivocal rebuke of many of the budgetary demands he has put forth,” said the Times. The Senate was to vote on the bill on Thursday, with the House to follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Supporters of the agreement say the money will be used for programs to help the industry recover from falling dairy prices. A major cause of this slump is the consumer shift away from dairy and toward healthier, more responsible alternatives.

According to a 2013 USDA report, dairy consumption has been on the decline for decades, with each generation consuming less milk than the one before. In fact, dairy consumption has fallen a whopping 40 percent since 1970.
    LOL...they stopped drinking milk and started drinking HFCS laden sodas, juices and sweetened water.

The results?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of a billion in subsidies, nor am I in favor of telling anybody what they can and can not eat or drink.

But please don't wrap animal "rights" propaganda up in a nice neat "anti tax anti spending" wrapper and expect me to smoke it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    LOL...they stopped drinking milk and started drinking HFCS laden sodas, juices and sweetened water.

The results?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of a billion in subsidies, nor am I in favor of telling anybody what they can and can not eat or drink.

But please don't wrap animal "rights" propaganda up in a nice neat "anti tax anti spending" wrapper and expect me to smoke it.
    Milk, butter and cheese. Yum. Take away the subsidies please, I'll still buy it.
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Milk, butter and cheese. Yum. Take away the subsidies please, I'll still buy it.
    Isaiah 7:15

Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.”

King James Version (KJV)

Isaiah 7:22

“And it shall come to pass, for the abundance of milk that they shall give he shall eat butter: for butter and honey shall every one eat that is left in the land.”

King James Version (KJV)

Jeremiah 11:5

“That I may perform the oath which I have sworn unto your fathers, to give them a land flowing with milk and honey, as it is this day. Then answered I, and said, So be it, O LORD.”

King James Version (KJV)
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Isaiah 7:15

Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.”

King James Version (KJV)

Isaiah 7:22

“And it shall come to pass, for the abundance of milk that they shall give he shall eat butter: for butter and honey shall every one eat that is left in the land.”

King James Version (KJV)

Jeremiah 11:5

“That I may perform the oath which I have sworn unto your fathers, to give them a land flowing with milk and honey, as it is this day. Then answered I, and said, So be it, O LORD.”

King James Version (KJV)
    Honey is pretty darn good too, too bad we have to subjugate the poor bees to get it.
    "The Patriarch"

The results?

Actually, typically people who stop drinking cow's milk replace it with a nondairy milk… such as almond milk or numerous other non-dairy plant-based milks. They taste good, they're nutritious, you don't have to worry about lactose intolerance, and best of all, you no longer have to participate in tearing a baby away from his mother, which causes distress to both the mother and the baby, in order to steal his milk.

If you think there is something in this article that is false, then point it out and refute it. I'm just exposing that this industry is in bed with the government, the same government who created the now debunked food pyramid.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    Actually, typically people who stop drinking cow's milk replace it with a nondairy milk… such as almond milk or numerous other non-dairy plant-based milks. They taste good, they're nutritious, you don't have to worry about lactose intolerance, and best of all, you no longer have to participate in tearing a baby away from his mother, which causes distress to both the mother and the baby, in order to steal his milk.

If you think there is something in this article that is false, then point it out and refute it. I'm just exposing that this industry is in bed with the government, the same government who created the now debunked food pyramid.
    Too often they replace it with Soy "milk" which is terribly unhealthy.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

you no longer have to participate in tearing a baby away from his mother, which causes distress to both the mother and the baby, in order to steal his milk.
    I don't think you understand quite how this works...

jk
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Natural milk is good for you & farmer/ranchers usually take good care of their animals.

The problem is gov running the food market and making things like raw milk illegal. Get the gov out of everything and watch the industry, as well as consumers, get healthy
    There is no spoon.

U.S. Government shouldn't be bailing out any industry. Get government out of the dairy industry, and let people drink raw, pasteurized, homogenized or Organic.

These bailouts are nothing more than graft.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Honey is pretty darn good too, too bad we have to subjugate the poor bees to get it.
    Bees are the best. If there was one north american animal I would protect, it would be the honey bees.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hope that the commerce department will be recommending export tariffs on American dairy products in order to prevent their export at unfair prices.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Bees are the best. If there was one north american animal I would protect, it would be the honey bees.
    Why don't you put your honey where your mouth is and start faming honey?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    I hope that the commerce department will be recommending export tariffs on American dairy products in order to prevent their export at unfair prices.
    Pretty soon foreign governments will stop taking our government cheese if we keep subsidizing it.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Because nothing ruins a thing's worth and good character like fame.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Pretty soon foreign governments will stop taking our government cheese if we keep subsidizing it.
    Don't worry, our economy will be way better after there's no trade.

That's how things work, right?
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I don't think you understand quite how this works...

jk
    Ha ha… I was talking about the baby. Did you think I was talking about the mama?

― Henry David Thoreau

from dairy and toward healthier, more responsible alternatives.
    All food products carry some risk.

That said, I do not think dairy products are unhealthy, I find that to be a false statement.

I think the "alternatives" may have greater health risks, which I backed up with charts showing declining life spans and increased obesity and diabetes as simple, wholesome dairy, meats and cheeses are replaced by frankenfoods, "macroorganics" and other heavily processed "alternatives" to these simple, safe and tasty food choices that have been feeding mankind for 50,000 years.

And what, exactly does "responsible" mean?

If not outright false, it is very ambiguous and shadowy in meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Natural milk is good for you & farmer/ranchers usually take good care of their animals.

The problem is gov running the food market and making things like raw milk illegal. Get the gov out of everything and watch the industry, as well as consumers, get healthy
    That's what we've always been told, but studies have shown that dairy is linked to an increased risk of certain type of cancer. Plus you've got pus cells in milk, and in some cases, parasites.

Also, even on the small, so called "humane" farms, the baby cows are still torn away from their mother… Usually at one day old. That is standard practice. And it's a cruel practice. Why be a part of causing suffering when you don't have to?

(This next one is not a dairy farm, but it still shows how protective mothers are of their babies)
    Last edited by lilymc; 02-18-2018 at 04:29 PM.

― Henry David Thoreau

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Again, I am not in favor of these subsidies.

But if you want to attack a worthless government agriculture subsidy, attack the energy sinkhole that is ethanol and corn.

Because of corn and ethanol subsidies, we now have gasoline that is less efficient, billions in increased food costs, millions in damages to engines and fuel systems, and, under NAFTA, the utter destruction of the small shareholder Mexican corn farmer, which has led to the collapse of the Mexican state and a narco-state in it's place, and the immigration crisis that turned our nation upside down, just to name a few things.

All to create ethanol to put in gasoline that is a net energy loss.

Yes, it takes more energy to grow, transport, distill, blend, and transport again, a gallon of ethanol, that what that unit of fuel produces when burned in an internal combustion engine..

I will when I retire. My grandpa kept bees.

All food products carry some risk.

That said, I do not think dairy products are unhealthy, I find that to be a false statement.

I think the "alternatives" may have greater health risks, which I backed up with charts showing declining life spans and increased obesity and diabetes as simple, wholesome dairy, meats and cheeses are replaced by frankenfoods, "macroorganics" and other heavily processed "alternatives" to these simple, safe and tasty food choices that have been feeding mankind for 50,000 years.

And what, exactly does "responsible" mean?

If not outright false, it is very ambiguous and shadowy in meaning.
    You were comparing milk to soda or sweet drinks… My point was that that's a terrible comparison, because people who ditch dairy typically go to almond milk, cashew milk, rice milk, soy milk, oat milk or other non-dairy plant-based milks… Not soda or juice.

As for their use of the word responsible, I'd have to go check out the article to see the context. But most likely they were talking about how the animal industries are horrible in numerous ways, for example the tons of water and food it takes to feed livestock, the astronomical amount of waste (yes, actual $#@!) that ends up polluting lakes and causing all sorts of other problems, the disease, the chemicals used to treat the diseases, etc. etc.

― Henry David Thoreau

Who needs dairy when there's soy?

Quote Originally Posted by milgram View Post
    Who needs dairy when there's soy?

That is frikkin awesome.
    "The Patriarch"

That's what we've always been told, but studies have shown that dairy is linked to an increased risk of certain type of cancer. Plus you've got pus cells in milk, and in some cases, parasites.

Also, even on the small, so called "humane" farms, the baby cows are still torn away from their mother… Usually at one day old. That is standard practice. And it's a cruel practice. Why be a part of causing suffering when you don't have to?

(This next one is not a dairy farm, but it still shows how protective mothers are of their babies)
    "Studies have shown"
    "The Patriarch"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast