Thread: California Looks to Ban Filtered Cigarettes

California Looks to Ban Filtered Cigarettes

@Anti Federalist

https://www.independent.com/2019/05/...-ban-proposed/

Bill Proposed to Cut Toxic Cigarette Waste

Senate Bill 424 Would Ban Filtered Cigarettes

Cigarette butts are the most littered item in the world — about 4.5 trillion are dropped on the ground each year. A new bill introduced by State Senator Hannah-Beth Jackson, Senate Bill 424, is making its way through the state Legislature, seeking to reduce the toxins released to the environment by tobacco waste such as cigarette butts and single-use e-cigarettes. It would also effectively ban traditional cigarettes through its prohibition on the sale of tobacco products that have single-use filters. In other words, anything but a hand-rolled or filterless cigarette would be prohibited from “sale, gift, or other furnishing” in California.

For multi-use tobacco products like e-cigarettes, the bill would implement a take-back program for nonrecyclable components, including cartridges, batteries, and filters. These can contain toxins such as arsenic, lead, and nicotine. Under the bill, tobacco manufacturers would be required to collect these nonrecyclable components and properly dispose of them at a hazardous waste facility.

Cigarette butts constitute about a third of all the trash found on California’s beaches, and Santa Barbara County is no exception. In Isla Vista, the Surfrider Foundation collected 27,187 cigarette butts during the fall and winter quarters of the 2018-2019 school year.

When not properly disposed of, cigarette filters make their way through storm drains into streams, rivers, and the ocean. The toxic chemicals they leach can poison sensitive marine life. In a San Diego State University study, a single cigarette butt in a liter of water killed half of the fish swimming in the solution. Cigarette filters made of plastic not only pollute water sources but also pose a threat to wildlife when mistakenly ingested as food. Plastic filters have been found in the stomachs of fish, birds, and whales, among other marine life.Last week, SB 424 passed the Appropriations Committee by a 4-2 vote and goes next to the Senate floor for a hearing, which should take place within the next two weeks, according to Senator Jackson’s office. If the Senate passes the bill before the end of this month, it will be sent to the Assembly.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes ban everything. That will solve all our problems.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Ya whatever . I think California has bigger problems .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Ya whatever . I think California has bigger problems .
    Legislation is profitable....

Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Yes ban everything. That will solve all our problems.
    Not a good day in AmeriKa if you're not banning something.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

California should also ban video games to then. Going with their logic.

This is just the beginning of a huge thing to come from the left.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ''There were four million people in the American Colonies and we had Jefferson and Franklin. Now we have over 300 million and the two top guys are Trump and Biden. What can you draw from this? Darwin was wrong.'' ~ Mort Sahl

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Legislation is profitable....
    Yes indeed.

''Cigarette butts constitute about a third of all the trash found on California’s beaches, and Santa Barbara County is no exception. In Isla Vista, the Surfrider Foundation collected 27,187 cigarette butts during the fall and winter quarters of the 2018-2019 school year.''

You don't have to be a gradiate' to know this is complete blsht.

The real story would be that the paper cups , condoms, chicken strip plates, blew off the beach and into
    someone's yard, they've also got the cleanest beaches in the world if any of this story were true, and
    what damage does a cigarette butt do to a billion pounds of sand, none of course, and it doesn't leak into the
    water table either.

: ) liberal idgits

Waiting for the Power company to burn it down.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    California should also ban video games to then. Going with their logic.
    There are plans to eventually ban the combustion engine in California.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    ''Cigarette butts constitute about a third of all the trash found on California’s beaches, and Santa Barbara County is no exception. In Isla Vista, the Surfrider Foundation collected 27,187 cigarette butts during the fall and winter quarters of the 2018-2019 school year.''

You don't have to be a gradiate' to know this is complete blsht.

The real story would be that the paper cups , condoms, chicken strip plates, blew off the beach and into
    someone's yard, they've also got the cleanest beaches in the world if any of this story were true, and
    what damage does a cigarette butt do to a billion pounds of sand, none of course, and it doesn't leak into the
    water table either.

: ) liberal idgits
    Solo cups

I'd say in general the beaches are super clean, what you gotta worry about is all the natural tar seapage that can get on your feet if you don't avoid the water lines on the sand.
    Last edited by dannno; 05-22-2019 at 12:06 AM.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I feel that California has been living too easy and convenient at the peril of unicorn rainbow sea turtles etc . I will contact that lady about banning paper plates , plastic cups , plastic ware forks , spoons and knives , paper towels , plastic two liter bottles and plastic water bottles . They have no shame .
    Do something Danke

Taking personal responsibility I always field dress my butts. A few others around me started doing the same.

I can not stand paper straws, I need 3 of them just to finish a drink.

But here again, instead of taking personal responsibility, idiots look to government to lead their lives.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Solo cups

I'd say in general the beaches are super clean, what you gotta worry about is all the natural tar seapage that can get on your feet if you don't avoid the water lines on the sand.
    Solo cups, I'll bet Toby Keith has a few pallets of those. : )

Yea, I'd forgotten the tar, I grew up on the beaches.
    I had always assumed (back in the day, 40 some years ago) that the tar came from the oil wells across the street
    as well as the wells on the beaches themselves.

Ca no doubt is looking into banning naturally occurring Beach Tar.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    Yea, I'd forgotten the tar, I grew up on the beaches.
    I had always assumed (back in the day, 40 some years ago) that the tar came from the oil wells across the street
    as well as the wells on the beaches themselves.

Ca no doubt is looking into banning naturally occurring Beach Tar.
    No more beach wells, they got rid of all the oil piers on the gold coast as well - except for one.

The native Chumash claim that the oil seepage existed on the beach long before the wells were there.
    Last edited by dannno; 05-22-2019 at 02:40 PM.