Thread: Clint Eastwood to Film New Movie in Georgia Despite Hollywood Boycott Over 'Heartbeat Bill'

Clint Eastwood to Film New Movie in Georgia Despite Hollywood Boycott Over 'Heartbeat Bill'

Clint Eastwood to Film New Movie in Georgia Despite Hollywood Boycott Over 'Heartbeat Bill'

By Michael W. Chapman | June 25, 2019

Despite the boycott of filming in Georgia launched by Hollywood liberals angry over the state's new pro-life "Heartbeat" law, legendary actor/director Clint Eastwood will be making his latest movie, "The Battle of Richard Jewell," in Atlanta this summer, reported NBC Charlotte and other media.

"Clint Eastwood will perform new film in Georgia despite abortion bill boycott," tweeted NBC Charlotte on June 25. The movie is about Richard Jewell, a police officer and security guard who discovered a bomb at the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, Ga., and saved countless lives. Jewell was initially hailed as a hero and then was viewed as a suspect.

The liberal media criticized Jewell relentlessly and essentially practiced "trial by media." Eventually, however, Jewell was completely exonerated and the real bomber, Eric Rudolph, was captured. Jewell sued NBC, CNN, and the New York Post for libel and won large settlements. His lawyer, L. Lin Wood, is the same lawyer now representing the Covington Catholic kid Nicholas Sandmann in defamation lawsuits against CNN and the Washington Post.

The heartbeat bill in Georgia prohibits abortion once a baby's heartbeat starts, which is usually six weeks into pregnancy. The bill, signed into law in May, allows exceptions in the cases of rape, incest, or if the mother's life is at serious risk.

One of the lead Hollywood activists to protest the new law is Alyssa Milano, and she helped organize the boycott of the Peach State.

In a letter to Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, Milano -- joined by 40-plus other actors and Hollywood activists -- wrote, "As actors, our work often brings us to Georgia. We've always found your state to be populated with friendly and caring people. We've found the hotels in which we stay and restaurants in which we dine while filming there to be comfortable and of a high quality. We've been glad to bring billions of dollars in revenue to support Georgia's schools, parks, and communities.

"But we cannot in good conscience continue to recommend our industry remain in Georgia if H.B. 481 [heartbeat bill] becomes law.... [W]e will do everything in our power to move our industry to a safer state for women if H.B. 481 becomes law. You have a choice, gentlemen. We pray you make the right one."

The letter was signed by many Hollywood personalities including Alec Baldwin, Billy Baldwin, David Arquette, Don Cheadle, Jon Cryer, Laura Dern, Lena Dunham, Mia Farrow, Ashley Judd, Zoe Kravitz, Brie Larson, Eva Longoria, Many Moore, Rosie O'Donnell, Patton Oswalt, Sean Penn, Natalie Portman, Emma Roberts, Mark Ruffalo, Amy Schumer, Ben Stiller, and Naomi Watts.

Some of the actors slated to work on the Eastwood film include Kathy Bates, Olivia Wilde, Jon Hamm and Sam Rockwell.

Clint Eastwood, 89, has worked in television and movies since the mid-1950s. He has won 13 Academy Awards (nominated 40 times) and won 8 Golden Globe awards (nominated 32 times).

Some of his more famous films include The Outlaw Josey Wales, High Plains Drifter, The Eiger Sanction, Dirty Harry, Escape from Alcatraz, Heartbreak Ridge, Unforgiven, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, Letters from Iwo Jima, Sully, American Sniper, Gran Tourino, True Crime, and The Mule.

Clint Eastwood describes himself as libertarian. He endorsed Republican Mitt Romney in the 2012 presidential election. He also gave a speech at the 2012 Republican National Convention where he mocked an empty chair that represented President Barack Obama.
    https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael...d-boycott-over

They forgot my all time favorite: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Clint Eastwood describes himself as libertarian. He endorsed Republican Mitt Romney in the 2012 presidential election.
    I dig most if not all of Clint's movies so I look forward to this.

Clint is a very good republican. But he is not a libertarian, certainly when he did not recognize Ron Paul in that election. Perhaps the wool was pulled over his eyes when he saw the "R" after that Massachusetts Democrat's name.

Clint should know how TV works, I wonder why he never looked at romney's pathetic leftist record.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Thats Clint Eastwood for ya. Doing that despite all the controversy surrounding Georgia.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

And somehow I knew these people; Kathy Bates, Jon Hamm and Sam Rockwell, were good people in Hollywood
    Last edited by donnay; 06-26-2019 at 08:11 AM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    And somehow I knew these people; Kathy Bates, Jon Hamm and Sam Rockwell, were good people in Hollywood
    Bates was on a late night show last night talking about her "medical" maryJ use, she is quite entertaining lol

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Bates was on a late night show last night talking about her "medical" maryJ use, she is quite entertaining lol
    She is a funny. I really like her.

Go Clint!

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

I'll be seeing this at the theater. I don't much go, but for this I want him to do well at the box office.

One day after the Atlanta Constitution-Journal and editor Kevin Riley threatened the producers and filmmakers of Clint Eastwood’s “Richard Jewell” over its accusations of “malicious fabrications” in the film, calls to boycott the movie are mounting.

The AJC says the movie version of reporter Kathy Scruggs, a real woman who died in 2001, is written as someone who gets story tips in exchange for sexual favors w
    ith an FBI agent and behaved unethically and recklessly, and other people — including members of the media — agree.
    (of course the liberal press does -P4P)

Stern continued, “It’s 2019. Smart, thoughtful people have condemned this offensive trope loudly and consistently for years. They have persuasively explained why it is abhorrent. Please do not reward Clint Eastwood for deploying it. Do not pay money for RICHARD JEWELL.”
    https://www.thewrap.com/calls-to-boy...vie-intensify/

At one time liberals would have championed this film about a miscarriage of justice, Federal agencies that abused their power, a corrupt bureaucracy that tried to rail road an innocent man.

Not anymore.

I might go see it twice.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    At one time liberals would have championed this film about a miscarriage of justice, Federal agencies that abused their power, a corrupt bureaucracy that tried to rail road an innocent man.

Not anymore.
    “The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Fox News host Jesse Watters claimed Wednesday that women journalists have sex with their sources “all the time” in order to get scoops.
    Discussing the backlash over Clint Eastwood’s new movie Richard Jewell, which depicts the late journalist Kathy Scruggs as trading sex for stories, Watters waved off the controversy over the film’s potentially malicious claims.
    “Just as an example, this happens all the time,” the Fox News host declared. “Ali Watkins was a reporter for many, many years at many distinguished publications. She slept with one of her sources, allegedly, for four years and broke a lot of scoops according to this Politico report here.”
    After citing one real-life example of a female journalist having an affair with a Washington insider, Watters reiterated that this “happens a lot” before wondering why Eastwood is getting grief over it.
    “It happens a lot in movies and TV shows,” he exclaimed. “Just a list right here. Fletch!”
    As co-host Greg Gutfeld busted out laughing, Watters continued to list off other films while claiming this is “all over Hollywood,” grousing that liberals are bellyaching over a film made by a right-leaning director.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/fox-jesse...004404797.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

It sounds like the Hollywood liberals were committing quid pro quo by threatening to boycott Georgia and hurt them financially if Georgia enacted certain legislation.

Cool! Another Movie Where a Female Journalist Attempts to Bang a Source
    Clint Eastwood's new movie, "Richard Jewell," implies that the late reporter Kathy Scruggs traded sex for tips.
    By Hannah Smothers
    Dec 10 2019, 4:43pmShareTweetSnap

WARNER BROS. PICTURES VIA YOUTUBE

Days ahead of its release, Richard Jewell, a new, Clint Eastwood–directed movie about the Centennial Olympic Park bombing in Atlanta in 1996, is the subject of hordes of criticism, all laser-focused on a brief scene that doesn’t even involve the film’s title character. In the scene, Kathy Scruggs (Olivia Wilde), the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reporter who covered the FBI’s suspicion that Jewell was the bomber, attempts to sleep with FBI agent Tom Shaw (Jon Hamm) in exchange for information about the investigation. Shaw, a serious gentleman dedicated to his job, declines, saying: “Kathy, you couldn’t f— it out of them. What makes you think you could f— it out of me?”

ADVERTISEMENT

Creatively speaking, this is boring as hell; if you’ve seen one movie in which a lady reporter tries to use her feminine wiles to get The Scoop, you’ve seen them all. And, factually speaking, it’s not true. It never happened. Scruggs died in 2001 and can’t debunk this herself, but her former employer, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, is defending her reputation in absentia. In multiple statements and reports, the newspaper maintains that Scruggs never tried to barter sex for information, and certainly never did this while covering the Jewell investigation. The newspaper even sent a letter to this effect to the film’s creators and to Warner Bros., asking that they acknowledge the fictionalization of certain events, and add a disclaimer.

I don’t know how “movies get made,” but adding a disclaimer seems easy enough to do, since the movie isn’t even out yet. But Warner Bros. appears to have no intention of changing anything, and is instead doubling-down, saying that it’s ironic that a newspaper that once ran incorrect reports about Jewell (this is true, but Jewell’s lawsuit against the paper was resolved years ago) is so intent on clearing its own reporter’s name. “‘Richard Jewell’ focuses on the real victim, seeks to tell his story, confirm his innocence and restore his name,” the Warner Bros. statement reads. “The AJC’s claims are baseless and we will vigorously defend against them.”

ADVERTISEMENT

So, OK, sure; Warner Bros., a big studio, won’t buckle. Quelle surprise! What’s odder, though, is that Wilde, who recently directed the acclaimed “feminist high school movie” Booksmart, is doubling-down, too. In a red carpet comment to a Variety reporter, Wilde asserted that the people who are mad about the implication that a respected female journalist tried to $#@! a source are the real problem, because they’re reducing a complex woman to her sexuality. “I think it’s a shame that [Scruggs] has been reduced to one inferred moment in the film,” Widle said. “It’s a basic misunderstanding of feminism as pious, sexlessness. It happens a lot to women; we’re expected to be one-dimensional if we are to be considered feminists.”

*Spits water on computer screen, pauses, drinks more water, spits again* What?!? Wilde went on to say she did lots of research and respects Scruggs’ hustle (however unethical and fake it was, I guess?). “She was incredibly dogged and intrepid,” Wilde said. “She was famous for getting to crime scenes before the police. She was very successful as a reporter. She was also a woman working in the news in 1996; yeah, she had relationships with people she worked with.”

There is a difference between “had relationships with people she worked with” and “tried to hump people she worked with.” I know celebrities live coddled lives, but it seems like Wilde would know about this distinction, and care about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

It’s irresponsible to incorrectly assert that a journalist who was ultimately very good at her job (even the Georgia Court of Appeals agrees with this) was so horny (or just horny for a scoop) that she crossed one of the most basic ethical lines in her industry. Sure, a small percentage of Richard Jewell’s audience will be people who have read articles like this one and are now aware of what the movie got wrong about Scruggs. But a much larger percentage will be people who don’t follow a bunch of pissed-off journalists on Twitter, and who will accept the attempt at sexual quid pro quo as fact. That’s a huge bummer; the idea that female reporters are willing to trade sex for tips makes already tenuous interactions even more difficult, and only impedes the reporting process.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5...s-tom-shaw-sex

Maybe Clint is taking a page out of the Trump playbook by utilizing controversy.