Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you work for $25/hour?

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    Please, tell us more about these immigration restrictions that preceded the Page Act (1875). I do so enjoy when somebody reveals a previously undiscovered page in American history.
    You're confused. He said his "funding" fathers... Not "Founding Fathers". He was referring to those that bankroll his internet trolling.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Home Depot parking lots in L.A. and such. Day laybor.

You roll up to a group of workers and start negotiations.

Of course they're going to try to hit you high at first, who wouldn't?

If a guy has his own truck he'll charge more to be the boss, I've also heard they've become pricey and picky lately...

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Wait, what?
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post6424550
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Well, which area are you talking about and what skills in particular are we talking about? do you means skills to lift, push or pull objects or are you talking about trade skills. If its the latter, then it depends on my skill. Carpenters, brick layers, roofers make about $20/hr in my very middle class city and so if I was any of those, I probably would not take it even with under the table pay.

On first reading, I actually thought you were talking about unskilled labourers. I mean, why else would you ask a group of random people if they would take the job if a specific trade skill was part of the requirement?
    Landscaping, but that can include more than digging and lifting.

And if I understand the process correctly, the people looking for workers will ask around for workers with particular skills. Doesn't everyone who is hiring ask a couple of questions before hiring? Resumes aren't required, but it isn't all "jump in the back, I have random work for you". It's an underground economy, but that doesn't mean there isn't some interrogation and negotiation.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Just a real world economic data point. Heard today that the Hispanic day labor workers are charging $25/hour, nothing less. General labor kinds of tasks. Most likely under the table dollars.

How much would an unemployed US citizen charge? If it were above-board, that $25 gross would probably net less minus assorted payroll taxes.
    If they were real employees the employer would have to have Obamacare for them. As long as insurance prices keep going up,wages for us are going to stay flat.

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    Home Depot parking lots in L.A. and such. Day laybor.

You roll up to a group of workers and start negotiations.

Of course they're going to try to hit you high at first, who wouldn't?

If a guy has his own truck he'll charge more to be the boss, I've also heard they've become pricey and picky lately...
    Do you have studies from a beltway think-tank, official government sources, Forbes and the WSJ to back that up?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Wait, what?
    In the Merry Christmas thread.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Just a real world economic data point. Heard today that the Hispanic day labor workers are charging $25/hour, nothing less. General labor kinds of tasks. Most likely under the table dollars.

How much would an unemployed US citizen charge? If it were above-board, that $25 gross would probably net less minus assorted payroll taxes.
    $25 an hour! What the hell are they doing, structural engineering? I've got a degree in computer science and 20 years experience and I only make $35 an hour. That doesn't sound right.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    $25 an hour! What the hell are they doing, structural engineering? I've got a degree in computer science and 20 years experience and I only make $35 an hour. That doesn't sound right.
    Are you the $#@! who drives everybody's wages down?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Are you the $#@! who drives everybody's wages down?
    It's all my fault!

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's all my fault!
    I work for so little that when they tried to replace me with an H1B it turned out to be more expensive. I guess my job is safe.

Is that $35 after taxes? Cos the guys in the story are getting $25 under the table pay. If u can believe that.

Holy cow, $35 an hour¿?

I bet you live in a mansion
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

$25 an hour is the US median income (assuming working 2000 hours a year- that is, 40 hours a week 50 weeks a year.)

I get 20 an hour loafing and drinking coffee .Hard to say how much I would need to work .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I live in logging, farming, and stone cutting country.
    There's probably less than 1% of "employees with on book jobs" making more than $17.50/hr within 30 miles of here.
    Factor in the cost of their employer paid taxes and benefits and you're probably in the ballpark. Difference being that they get to spend their money how they choose, while 25% or more of our compensation is dictated by government.

I could see some getting that much in up-scale neighborhoods. I payed my Mexican worker $15/hr. cash and live in a smallish town.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    while 25% or more of our compensation is dictated by government.
    Unless you choose to work for cash under the table, which you could just as easily (more easily really) as any unlawful resident.

People talk about unlawful residents doing that as if it gives them an unfair advantage over everyone else, which is ridiculous. The truth is, most people prefer not to do it that way, including those unlawful residents who resort to it out of necessity.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I could see some getting that much in up-scale neighborhoods. I payed my Mexican worker $15/hr. cash and live in a smallish town.
    Yeah I know construction , carpenter and landscape guys who get 15 - 20 and I am in a low cost of living area .
    Do something Danke

Factor in the cost of their employer paid taxes and benefits and you're probably in the ballpark. Difference being that they get to spend their money how they choose, while 25% or more of our compensation is dictated by government.
    I imagine 17.50 an hour , some OT , couple weeks of pd vacation , health ins , ten pd holidays , 401k match would probably be like making 25 or more .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Unless you choose to work for cash under the table, which you could just as easily (more easily really) as any unlawful resident.

People talk about unlawful residents doing that as if it gives them an unfair advantage over everyone else, which is ridiculous. The truth is, most people prefer not to do it that way, including those unlawful residents who resort to it out of necessity.
    My guess is you've never done payroll, prepared taxes or run a business, because you are pretty much 100% just wrong.

Interesting topic, I find in my state which is not California, is a mecca for illegals , they nearly have taken over all field work, landscaping, framing, flooring, siding, roofing, cabinetry, as well as way to much to list, In my state 20 dollars an hour is a wage you will become homeless as you cannot rent a small 2bdrm 1 car garage on those wages as it will be 50% + of your take home pay , yes you can find something so far from anything and you will not find any jobs . Its not about minimum wage as I see it , its housing cost as a percentage of normal take home pay for a man with say 5-10 years experience is making . but some reason wages are stagnate and cost to survive keeps going up ,I see it everyday , so day workers are coming on more ,,hmmm we have maybe a good guess in my state 100 thousand easy illegals with family members also...wow that's a lot of jobs and a lot of housing ,,go figure,,,

My guess is you've never done payroll, prepared taxes or run a business, because you are pretty much 100% just wrong.
    Oh ya.
    "The Patriarch"

How is that?

People who do payroll somehow have a way to pay unlawful residents under the table, but that same method magically doesn't work if they're here legally?

So if I went and stood in a crowd at Home Depot and did exactly what the undocumented immigrant workers do, it somehow wouldn't work for me?

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I imagine 17.50 an hour , some OT , couple weeks of pd vacation , health ins , ten pd holidays , 401k match would probably be like making 25 or more .
    17.50 an hour.
    (1.34) FICA (You pay)
    (2.75) Health Insurance (you pay
    1.05 FUTA (employer pays)
    1.34 FICA (Employer pays)
    6.70 (Employer-paid premium)

So, 17.50 an hour minus $4.09 that you are forced to pay is $13.41 / hr. Add the $1.05, $1.34, and $6.70 that the employer is paying on your behalf, and you're at $22.50. Less if your state also has an income tax.

Meanwhile, the illegals are allegedly at $25.00, with no obligation to buy or report or claim anything.

If you're an American, and you hire under the table, the government can and will take everything you own . If you work under the table and get caught, they will prosecute you.

If you're an illegal, they deport you, but you can just come back the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Holy cow, $35 an hour¿?

I bet you live in a mansion
    I could get a mansion here on 30 . I was making 7 when I bought my first estate .
    Do something Danke

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
    Interesting topic, I find in my state which is not California, is a mecca for illegals , they nearly have taken over all field work, landscaping, framing, flooring, siding, roofing, cabinetry, as well as way to much to list, In my state 20 dollars an hour is a wage you will become homeless as you cannot rent a small 2bdrm 1 car garage on those wages as it will be 50% + of your take home pay , yes you can find something so far from anything and you will not find any jobs . Its not about minimum wage as I see it , its housing cost as a percentage of normal take home pay for a man with say 5-10 years experience is making . but some reason wages are stagnate and cost to survive keeps going up ,I see it everyday , so day workers are coming on more ,,hmmm we have maybe a good guess in my state 100 thousand easy illegals with family members also...wow that's a lot of jobs and a lot of housing ,,go figure,,,
    More people = lower wages and higher housing costs.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Koreans tighter than Indians ? Shameful . I will see what I can do to fix that .
    Wrong type of Injun there, chief.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    How is that?

People who do payroll somehow have a way to pay unlawful residents under the table, but that same method magically doesn't work if they're here legally?

So if I went and stood in a crowd at Home Depot and did exactly what the undocumented immigrant workers do, it somehow wouldn't work for me?
    If you're an American, and you hire under the table, the government can and will take everything you own . If you work under the table and get caught, they will prosecute you. A local dentist here just went to prison for 25 years for this.

If you're an American, and you hire under the table, the government can and will take everything you own . If you work under the table and get caught, they will prosecute you. A local dentist here just went to prison for 25 years for this.

May deport you.

Even with all the Trump ruckus, still highly unlikely.

Less likely than going to jail as a "citizen".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast