Thread: Education Department Investigates Princeton After University Admits to Systemic Racism

Education Department Investigates Princeton After University Admits to Systemic Racism

Education Department Investigates Princeton After University Admits to Systemic Racism
    The federal investigation comes in response to a letter in which the university president acknowledged that the institution has and continues to be shaped by systemic racism.

https://www.usnews.com/news/educatio...ystemic-racism

THE WHITE HOUSE HAS opened an investigation into Princeton University, accusing it of civil rights violations after its president admitted racism exists at the school.

Earlier this month, Princeton President Christopher Eisgruber published a letter to the university community in which he acknowledged that the university has and continues to be shaped by systemic racism.

"Racism and the damage it does to people of color nevertheless persist at Princeton as in our society, sometimes by conscious intention but more often through unexamined assumptions and stereotypes, ignorance or insensitivity, and the systemic legacy of past decisions and policies," he wrote, underscoring also that for most of Princeton's history, the university "intentionally and systematically excluded people of color, women, Jews, and other minorities."

"Racist assumptions from the past also remain embedded in structures of the University itself," he added, noting that, for example, Princeton has at least nine departments and programs organized around European languages and culture, but only a single, relatively small program in African studies.

The White House used that admission to justify an investigation.

"You admitted Princeton's educational program is and for decades has been racist," Robert King, assistant secretary of the Education Department's Office of Postsecondary Education, wrote in a letter to university officials earlier this week. "The serious, even shocking nature of Princeton's admissions compel the Department to move with all appropriate speed."

The letter wasn't the first time Eisgruber addressed systemic racism in the wake of nationwide protests over racial justice. In June, for example, the Board of Trustees voted to remove Woodrow Wilson's name from the School of Public and International Affairs, which Eisgruber described as a "landmark moment in Princeton's history."

The letter instead served to update students on the steps Eisgruber had tasked the university administration to take to address systemic racism, including new funding for teaching, research and service projects related to racial justice, exploring the possibility of a new degree program for students from disadvantaged communities that are disproportionately impacted by systematic racism, diversifying the faculty, including by increasing by 50% the number of tenured faculty from underrepresented groups, and reviewing university benefits and policies with an eye for enhancing equity for employees in lower-paid positions, among many other things.

"It is unfortunate that the department appears to believe that grappling honestly with the nation's history and the current effects of systemic racism runs afoul of existing law," the university said.

The investigation into Princeton is just the latest pursuit of an elite, Ivy League school by the Trump administration, which has also pursued Harvard and Yale over issues of race.

Earlier this summer, the Justice Department determined that Yale University's admissions process discriminates against white and Asian applicants by admitting at higher rates Black and Hispanic applicants with the same academic credentials – a conclusion that rang anathema to higher education policy experts, academics and college and university administrators who have been trying to find ways to make campuses even more accessible to Black and Hispanic students, along with low-income and other marginalized students, amid a national reckoning over the compounding inequity of the country's education system.

cont..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What results do you expect?

This should be pretty easy for Secretary DeVos given that racism is hardwire into the brain. As a university administration, I'm confident that they will follow the science.

Racism is 'hardwired' into the human brain - and people can be prejudiced without knowing it
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...nowing-it.html
    And the findings published in Nature Neuroscience could lead to fresh ways of thinking about unintended race-based attitudes and decisions.

Dr Elizabeth Phelps, of New York University, and colleagues reviewed previous brain scanning studies showing how social categories of race are processed, evaluated and incorporated in decision-making.

They showed a network of brain regions called the the amygdala, dorsolateral prefrontal cortex and the anterior cingulate cortex are important in the unintentional, implicit expression of racial attitudes.
    XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Exclamation Rainbow PUSH coalition

Black Lives Matter to President Donnell.

Rainbow PUSH coalition
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

They should Investigate racism against White Christian males!

Quote Originally Posted by DiverseSegregation View Post
    What results do you expect?
    A finding of racism against whites and asians and an end to federal funds for them.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    This should be pretty easy for Secretary DeVos given that racism is hardwire into the brain. As a university administration, I'm confident that they will follow the science.

Racism is 'hardwired' into the human brain - and people can be prejudiced without knowing it
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...nowing-it.html

XNN
    It's almost like nature is telling us there are differences.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Doubt Princeton will be punished in any capacity.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Doubt Princeton will be punished in any capacity.
    Of course they won't. Thus proving the racism is systemic.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance