Thread: This Robot Will Rake Your Leaves, Cut The Grass & Shovel Snow

This Robot Will Rake Your Leaves, Cut The Grass & Shovel Snow

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...s-shovel-snow/

For anyone who hates doing yard work, your new best friend may have arrived.

A New York startup unveiled Kobi on Thursday, a robot it says can autonomously shovel snow, collect leaves and cut grass.

“We’re on a mission to help people not spend time on yard work,” said Steven Waelbers, cofounder of The Kobi Company. “We want people to enjoy their free time with their family.”

Owners will need to reconfigure the robot’s attachment — similar to how many vacuums work — depending on the task it’s carrying out.

Before the robot operates independently, an owner must manually wheel it around the yard — taking it around any obstacles like trees, bushes or mailboxes. By doing this, the robot is taught the perimeter of the lawn, and won’t accidentally destroy someone’s prized rose bush or start roaming the neighborhood.

Once this setup is complete, and the $3,999 robot has been trained on where to cut grass, rake leaves and shovel snow, it operates without any supervision.
    Last edited by CaseyJones; 10-13-2016 at 01:00 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    loveshiscountry

$4k
    The robot — which tops out at 2 mph — cuts grass a fraction of an inch at a time.

Which takes forever and a day to cut the lawn. It costs 4k so you have to stay outside and watch it. Course watching it is safer unless you know for a fact your animal or someones kid wont be in range of it.
    Last edited by loveshiscountry; 10-14-2016 at 11:24 AM.

Dey gonna take muh jerb.
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

Quote Originally Posted by loveshiscountry View Post
    $4k
    The robot — which tops out at 2 mph — cuts grass a fraction of an inch at a time.
    Which takes forever and a day to cut the lawn.
    yes that's what mulching mowers do

It costs 4k so you have to stay outside and watch it.
    Kobi has anti-theft detection and is protected by a pin-code. An alarm will sound, you will get a warning on your smartphone. Kobi will also go in disable mode, rendering it useless to the thief.

Course watching it is safer unless you know for a fact your animal or someones kid wont be in range of it.
    Kobi includes a camera and ultrasound sensor that Waelbers said would detect pets and people, and trigger the robot to stop before a collision occurred.

this is just the first, they will get better

loveshiscountry

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    yes that's what mulching mowers do
    Didn't know you had to go that slow and only take off the top 1/2" in order for mulching mowers to be effective.

Kobi has anti-theft detection and is protected by a pin-code. An alarm will sound, you will get a warning on your smartphone. Kobi will also go in disable mode, rendering it useless to the thief.
    I wonder if a large faraday bag would cover the signal?

Kobi includes a camera and ultrasound sensor that Waelbers said would detect pets and people, and trigger the robot to stop before a collision occurred.

this is just the first, they will get better
    Does it work when the family cat is sitting out by a bush and suddenly moves?

Are there any vids of it actually doing the work? The cartoon doesn't convince me. Plus the snowblower doesn't look like it's blowing the snow very far away.
    Last edited by loveshiscountry; 10-16-2016 at 08:27 AM.

a) mulching mowers leave the grass in tiny bits on the lawn as mulch, that's what this is saying it does not just the top
    b) putting a faraday bag (which ya all thieves carry ) over it would set off the anti theft protection obviously and still render it useless by the pin number and also they would not have the charging station or other two attachments
    c) who the hell cares, it's a cat
    d) if your driveway is so damn wide it has to go over some snow twice it's a robot let it

I am not selling the $#@!ing things I just thought it was neat

loveshiscountry

a) mulching mowers leave the grass in tiny bits on the lawn as mulch, that's what this is saying it does not just the top
    If so that means it has to go over the lawn more than once unless it's out there more than once a week during the growing season. I'm just saying it'll take forever to do the lawn.

b) putting a faraday bag (which ya all thieves carry ) over it would set off the anti theft protection obviously and still render it useless by the pin number and also they would not have the charging station or other two attachments
    Wouldn't the signal be blocked? Are you saying the blocked signal triggers the alarm? Buy a charger. Software is easily overwritten.

c) who the hell cares, it's a cat
    Agreed that's why I used cat instead of dog. Dogs lives matter. Cats? Not so much.

d) if your driveway is so damn wide it has to go over some snow twice it's a robot let it
    You're in Texas. wtf would you know about shoveling snow?

I am not selling the $#@!ing things I just thought it was neat
    You were "out back" when you thought of this, right?

way cheaper
    Last edited by loveshiscountry; 10-17-2016 at 11:53 AM.

$4k
    Every lawn mower cuts grass at a fraction of an inch "at a time". That's a very arbitrary statement.

2 mph seems pretty reasonable to me, walking speed is 2-4 mph.

It would probably do the lawn in just as fast a time as it takes to do it manually, but you get to sit on the porch and sip lemonade.
    Last edited by dannno; 10-17-2016 at 12:05 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    loveshiscountry

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Every lawn mower cuts grass at a fraction of an inch "at a time". That's a very arbitrary statement.

It would probably do the lawn in just as fast a time as it takes to do it manually, but you get to sit on the porch and sip lemonade.
    Maybe you're supposed to walk real slow when mowing but I don't see people doing that. Myself included. That thing is going a lot slower than a regular mower would be going imo.

This is the type! This isn't a mamby pamby lawn mower. It's remote controlled vs automatic but it's powerful.

If so that means it has to go over the lawn more than once unless it's out there more than once a week during the growing season. I'm just saying it'll take forever to do the lawn.
    no just once, some mulching mowers have double blades, not sure about this one
    guess you've never used one

Wouldn't the signal be blocked? Are you saying the blocked signal triggers the alarm? Buy a charger. Software is easily overwritten.
    the thing likely does not have a cellphone in it, the charging station must be sending it a signal when that signal is gone the charging station contacts you
    and this is clearly a special charging station, its not something you can pick up at the gas station
    its likely a firmware pin, so they would have to flash the firmware to change the pin
    not something the usual trolling thief looking for something to pawn for a crack rock knows how to do

Agreed that's why I used cat instead of dog. Dogs lives matter. Cats? Not so much.
    yes $#@! cats

You're in Texas. wtf would you know about shoveling snow?
    I was born in South Dakota

loveshiscountry

no just once, some mulching mowers have double blades, not sure about this one
    guess you've never used one
    Mines a mulcher. It looks like to me it isn't taking much off the top is all.

the thing likely does not have a cellphone in it,
    For 4k it should. Just saying.

the charging station must be sending it a signal when that signal is gone the charging station contacts you
    and this is clearly a special charging station, its not something you can pick up at the gas station
    its likely a firmware pin, so they would have to flash the firmware to change the pin
    not something the usual trolling thief looking for something to pawn for a crack rock knows how to do
    Agreed. The thief that puts in the effort will have a better chance.

yes $#@! cats
    I was born in South Dakota
    noted

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

I sit on my riding lawn mower and sip on an adult beverage.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.