Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attn all who are unsure how to support Ron Paul in a caucus state and Attn Iowans

This seems like a very important article. Probably should sticky for each Caucus forum node.

The article is very detailed, so I thought it may be helpful to summarize. Not sure if I got this is right, so please correct as needed.

- 'Voting' (straw poll) for a candidate is ceremonial. It does not lead to RP being elected as the state's representative by delegates.

- The Caucus may or may not be at a different place than 'voting' for candidates in a straw poll.

- People need to get elected as delegates at the Caucus. This is the most important event. Again, 'voting' in the straw poll is not the purpose of the Caucus.

- People who want to be delegates give a speech to introduce themselves. The speech is used to get elected to be a delegate by Caucus attendees. Divulging your true support may or may not be best way to get there.

- If you say you're for RP in your speech, you'll get selected by other RP fans, but won't be selected by non-RP fans. If you say you're unsure in your speech, then you may pick-up non-RP votes, but at the risk of missing-out on RP votes. Also, there is no guarantee that there aren't hucksters, er, fake reps looking to take away RP votes, only to later support another candidate. This may be mitigated if all RP supporters know who is for RP, but other's don't (just conjecture on my part). In other words, it a game of organizing ourselves while confusing our opponents.

- Knowing the names of RP's delegates for your district before attending the Caucus seems best to avoid confusion. Not sure where to get this info, but your local RP rep office or meetup.com site probably has a list.

- There are only a certain number of slots for delegates and back-ups from each district.

- Caucus attendees write down the people that you want as delegates. You don't have to fill out all the slots. Just write-down the names of known RP supporters!

- Limited slots and limited votes means that there shouldn't be more RP delegates than there are slots. Otherwise, we'll be diluting our votes.

- Once delegates are elected at the local level, this game gets replayed at the state and national levels.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by passerby View Post
    This seems like a very important article. Probably should sticky for each Caucus forum node.

The article is very detailed, so I thought it may be helpful to summarize. Not sure if I got this is right, so please correct as needed.

- 'Voting' (straw poll) for a candidate is ceremonial. It does not lead to RP being elected as the state's representative by delegates.

- The Caucus may or may not be at a different place than 'voting' for candidates in a straw poll.

- People need to get elected as delegates at the Caucus. This is the most important event. Again, 'voting' in the straw poll is not the purpose of the Caucus.

- People who want to be delegates give a speech to introduce themselves. The speech is used to get elected to be a delegate by Caucus attendees. Divulging your true support may or may not be best way to get there.

- If you say you're for RP in your speech, you'll get selected by other RP fans, but won't be selected by non-RP fans. If you say you're unsure in your speech, then you may pick-up non-RP votes, but at the risk of missing-out on RP votes. Also, there is no guarantee that there aren't hucksters, er, fake reps looking to take away RP votes, only to later support another candidate. This may be mitigated if all RP supporters know who is for RP, but other's don't (just conjecture on my part). In other words, it a game of organizing ourselves while confusing our opponents.

- Knowing the names of RP's delegates for your district before attending the Caucus seems best to avoid confusion. Not sure where to get this info, but your local RP rep office or meetup.com site probably has a list.

- There are only a certain number of slots for delegates and back-ups from each district.

- Caucus attendees write down the people that you want as delegates. You don't have to fill out all the slots. Just write-down the names of known RP supporters!

- Limited slots and limited votes means that there shouldn't be more RP delegates than there are slots. Otherwise, we'll be diluting our votes.

- Once delegates are elected at the local level, this game gets replayed at the state and national levels.
    Best post I have ever seen on these forums!

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A helpful site about/for delegates:
    http://www3.webng.com/ronpaul/delegatestates.html
    It seems like you need to call to see who the recommended delegates are. I couldn't find it on the campaign website.

IA Caucus locations (again, not necessarily 'voting' locations):
    http://www.iowagop.net/countycontacts.asp

PLEASE make this post easier to read. Perhaps embolden your main points so that the flow of the message is easier to follow.

See?

Passerby do you mind if I copy this into a new post?
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

This is great stuff. I totally wish I lived in Iowa today.

Mosquitobite, I don't mind at all. I'm just summarizing what rodo wrote.

good job! we are going to be doing the same here in HI. i'm hopeful that the Iowa meetups are coaching RP supporters prior to caucus so *everyone* is on the same page

the caucus is *not* about actively promoting RP...all that goes on at this time is in stealth mode for lack of a better word--it IS critical to know who the other RP people are so you can then vote your delegates...as i said before...this is what the meetups would have already prepped you on.

as someone said b/4...go early & be the last to leave!!

Bump
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12