Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1143

Thread: LADIES LOUNGE: Frugal finds, decorating, fun fashion, beauty and thrifting hauls.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    So DW likes to tell a story about how when she was in kindergarten, every kid on their birthday got a birthday crown to wear around all day. She waited patiently all year while all the other kids got their crowns. Finally, her bday came around and her teacher was out and they had a substitute, she asked about her birthday crown and the substitute told her they weren't doing that and stop asking about it. long story short, she never got her bday crown and she has held a grudge for 30 odd years. I finally heard it enough that I set a reminder in my calendar to make her one this year. Gonna tell her she has to wear it all day, including out to dinner at the fancy restaurant or she can never tell that story ever again.

Aww..that's sweet

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    IDK how to embed this, but these are handy little organization hacks/tricks y'all will find handy for crafts and around the house. https://www.facebook.com/FirstMediaB...5361643304586/ I really like 'em!
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    @angelatc

I mentioned you because I know you resell stuff and having the hang tag on these purses ups their value.

So I was at my favorite ghetto thrift store and I found a Coach bag. It was missing the hang tag and looked a little tired but it was in great shape. Since it was only 2.00 I decided to try to revitalize it. It turned out great. All I did was wiped it down with leather cleaner, hit the faded spots with shoe polish, and finished it a good leather conditioner. When I was looking for information on cleaning it, I came across a blog that said you can call Coach and they'll send you another hang tag free of charge (no shipping or anything) so I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot and it's for real.

Here's the phone #. They only needed the serial # out of the bag and my address. Yay!

Coach head office 1-888-262-6224

If they don't have the matching tag for your bag, they send a brass one.

Here's a photo of the bag I found. This isn't mine (I'm having issues sending pics to my computer) but it's identical and in the same condition - except mine will have the hang tag, it's missing on that one.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/4524670..._listing_top-1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    [MENTION=198] When I was looking for information on cleaning it, I came across a blog that said you can call Coach and they'll send you another hang tag free of charge (no shipping or anything) so I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot and it's for real.

Here's the phone #. They only needed the serial # out of the bag and my address. Yay!

Coach head office 1-888-262-6224

If they don't have the matching tag for your bag, they send a brass one.

Here's a photo of the bag I found. This isn't mine (I'm having issues sending pics to my computer) but it's identical and in the same condition - except mine will have the hang tag, it's missing on that one.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/4524670..._listing_top-1

Awesome score! Our Goodwills are rife with fake Coach and Louis Vuitton. I didn't know the bit about the hang tag either - I've got a Coach in the store that I can call about.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Awesome score! Our Goodwills are rife with fake Coach and Louis Vuitton. I didn't know the bit about the hang tag either - I've got a Coach in the store that I can call about.
    I find designer purses at that thrift store fairly regularly. Not many people shop there because it looks like a dump from the outside but they have really nice stuff. They're run by some ritzy church and they don't tag things separately so you can really (all purses 2.00, all coats 3.00, all jeans 2.00, etc) get some good deals. Mr Animal found a driver there for 1.00 (looked like it had never been used) and figured it was worth about 100.00 but was told they cost closer to 250.00 by the golf pro at the course. He came home and looked it up and the pro was right.

I got a giant cream Coach patent leather purse and a neat hot pink one there last year - both like new and authentic.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

So.. for the hard to fit ladies, a site (manufacturers in India)
    eshakti.com

they do custom measurements for all items - darn helpful for us tall broads - a little heavy on dresses.. light on pants but if you need something to fit - they're good.
    The poplin.. be prepared to iron - it does wrinkle
    the cotton knit stuff.. not summer wear - it says mid-weight but for me it's winter-wear, even sleeveless.

I can't comment on anything polyester of theirs.. I wont' buy polyester.

I got this.. so far in 3 colors.. this one is next, but it is warm thick fabric

http://www.eshakti.com/ProductDetail...ctid=CL0043472

tried to just post a pic.. failed
    best fitting garment ever
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    So.. for the hard to fit ladies, a site (manufacturers in India)
    eshakti.com

they do custom measurements for all items - darn helpful for us tall broads - a little heavy on dresses.. light on pants but if you need something to fit - they're good.
    The poplin.. be prepared to iron - it does wrinkle
    the cotton knit stuff.. not summer wear - it says mid-weight but for me it's winter-wear, even sleeveless.

I can't comment on anything polyester of theirs.. I wont' buy polyester.

I got this.. so far in 3 colors.. this one is next, but it is warm thick fabric

http://www.eshakti.com/ProductDetail...ctid=CL0043472

tried to just post a pic.. failed
    best fitting garment ever
    That's really nice, opal. You can customize just about everything about the dress. That's excellent for the price and I noticed a nifty coupon pop up.

They're also really good about returns if you just don't like it. They send emails frequently with % off stuff - mostly, something is always 10-15 % off.
    I'm really fond of the shaped scoop necklines... not available on everything but those things go on my wish list until I can make decisions.

Also.. out of stock happens a LOT.. sometimes they get stuff back, sometimes they don't
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

I could use some input from anyone who is good at decorating. I'm trying to find a muted green color because I'm moving into the apartment upstairs. (same building but one floor up) Right now it's a green color but they're going to repaint the whole thing, and the landlord wants to stick with something similar.

What do you think of this color… Yay or nay?

“I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

I'm not good at math or computers. I don't understand hexi-decimal colors.
    Tellyawut:Get me a pic of the door and I'llsample hexcodes of the colours for myself. Just take pics with no glare and capture the colours as accurately as possible.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I like that color.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    I could use some input from anyone who is good at decorating. I'm trying to find a muted green color because I'm moving into the apartment upstairs. (same building but one floor up) Right now it's a green color but they're going to repaint the whole thing, and the landlord wants to stick with something similar.

It's a good color. If you can get it mixed right.

I'm partial to this kind of decor, myself...

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I like that color.
    Was that in reply to the paint color I posted? Thank you euphemia. I like it too. But I'm just not sure if it's neutral enough, because they're going to paint the entire apartment one color.

Green is a tricky color, imo…because there are so many shades ranging from beautiful to ugly... but it's hard to tell until you see it on the walls. So I'm considering something maybe a little lighter and more muted.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    It's a good color. If you can get it mixed right.
    Well it's a Behr color, so they'll have it at Home Depot and hopefully they will mix it right. Thanks for your input.

I'm partial to this kind of decor, myself...

That kind of reminds me of my Dad's study...but there was a lot less wood paneling
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

It really depends on the rest of the rooms.. what you are putting in it.. what the floors are, are there moldings? what color? wood? if the ceiling is white.. matte or gloss.

Most paint places will give you a small test size swatch to hang on walls to see what it looks like at different times of day. If you're currently on the same side of the building, you could see what you like in your current place.

This green looks more blue-grey to me - but that could be the monitor.

If most of your furnishings are warm tones, go closer to the blue side of green. If your stuff is cooler colors, go for the warmer yellower shades of green.
    Even really neutral greens can be either warm or cool - a little contrast to the rest of the room(s) can be good.

A muted avocado would be nice for warm - especially since the kitchen will be the same color.

It really depends on the rest of the rooms.. what you are putting in it.. what the floors are, are there moldings? what color? wood? if the ceiling is white.. matte or gloss.

Most paint places will give you a small test size swatch to hang on walls to see what it looks like at different times of day. If you're currently on the same side of the building, you could see what you like in your current place.

If most of your furnishings are warm tones, go closer to the blue side of green. If your stuff is cooler colors, go for the warmer yellower shades of green.
    Even really neutral greens can be either warm or cool - a little contrast to the rest of the room(s) can be good.

A muted avocado would be nice for warm - especially since the kitchen will be the same color.
    The ceiling is white, the doors are white and the closets are white...which I think contrasts really well with that greenish color. The kitchen cabinets are a reddish-brown color which I think also goes well with the color of the walls. There are no moldings, and the floor is tile. IIRC, a light sandy color.

As for furniture, I don't have anything in the living room now except for a dark brown faux leather couch. And in my bedroom, I have a dark brown bed, but nothing else right now. (I'm slowly getting things one piece at a time.)

Good idea to try a test swatch on the walls to see how it looks in the day and night. I think I'll go to Home Depot tomorrow. Thanks so much for your advice!

― Henry David Thoreau

Yay. I used to have that color in my kitchen.

If you can, get a few samples and test them. Different shades look best in different lighting.

Was that in reply to the paint color I posted? Thank you euphemia. I like it too. But I'm just not sure if it's neutral enough, because they're going to paint the entire apartment one color.
    In that case, no. I would go neutral.

Green is a tricky color, imo…because there are so many shades ranging from beautiful to ugly... but it's hard to tell until you see it on the walls. So I'm considering something maybe a little lighter and more muted.
    Actually, I find nice light tans trickiest. They come in pink, yellow, and green undertones and sometimes it's impossible to tell until you get it in the wrong light. Ever bought a beautiful tan, slapped it on the wall and it turned pink on ya? Yeah, I have.

Well it's a Behr color, so they'll have it at Home Depot and hopefully they will mix it right. Thanks for your input.
    Kilim Beige by Sherwin Williams is a nice neutral beige. It's great for your application because it won't change colors in different lighting. You can get a sample at SW and have it color matched at Home Depot. I like it so much in my living room, I'm getting ready to redo my kitchen in it.

If you really like green, you could pick a beige with green undertones (google, I'm sure something will come up.) and it will look totally different in different light. My mother did that. I kid you not, her kitchen looks mint green and the eat in area looks beige but she painted them the same color - it's the lighting. They're in the same room but there are windows on one side and the light changes the color.

BTW, because Kilim Beige is such a solid neutral, it's been the number one SW paint color for 20 years.

That really depends on the room to me.

For example, on this color wheel. If I choose green, I'd accent with yellow (green=warm and yellow=cool) if I want the area to be bright and fun (a patio or kitchen) and I'd go with green (cool) and blue (cool) if I were doing a bedroom or bathroom. It really depends on what you're going for.

*DISCLAIMER*
    Before you take my advice you should know I have a giant t-rex and a gas mask in my bathroom. My decor is a little...quirky. That may be why I like neutrals. If I had green walls, what was once quirky would look pretty crazy. BTW, I also have a rubber chicken and a real baby shark in formaldehyde in my kitchen.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Well it's a Behr color, so they'll have it at Home Depot and hopefully they will mix it right.
    They had it last time, too, and took em 5 trips to get it right.

Thanks for your input.

You're welcome. Thanks for asking.

That kind of reminds me of my Dad's study...but there was a lot less wood paneling
    HelloOooo. It's called wainscoting.

Sheesh.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-31-2017 at 05:48 AM.

Not sure if I've posted this before but these are my kitchen rugs. I feel gangsta af when I'm doing the dishes.

I guess I did choose the thug life.

Looks like my gangsta ass needs to wash it.

Yay. I used to have that color in my kitchen.

If you can, get a few samples and test them. Different shades look best in different lighting.
    In that case, no. I would go neutral.
    Thanks! Yeah, I was looking at lots of colors last night, and right now I'm leaning toward a more neutral grayish color called Comfort Gray by Sherwin Williams. It has a bit of green in it, and also a bit of blue, and from what I've been reading, it's kind of a chameleon color that changes depending on the light... Sometimes it looks like a soft muted green and sometimes a greenish-blue gray.

From what I've read, apparently everyone that has used it loves it and and raves about it.

Here's a picture I got from the Sherwin Williams site.

Actually, I find nice light tans trickiest. They come in pink, yellow, and green undertones and sometimes it's impossible to tell until you get it in the wrong light. Ever bought a beautiful tan, slapped it on the wall and it turned pink on ya? Yeah, I have.
    I agree that tans are tricky too, because of the undertones. And I've been realizing that the color always looks different in the swatch or in a photo than it does on the walls.

Kilim Beige by Sherwin Williams is a nice neutral beige. It's great for your application because it won't change colors in different lighting. You can get a sample at SW and have it color matched at Home Depot. I like it so much in my living room, I'm getting ready to redo my kitchen in it.

If you really like green, you could pick a beige with green undertones (google, I'm sure something will come up.) and it will look totally different in different light. My mother did that. I kid you not, her kitchen looks mint green and the eat in area looks beige but she painted them the same color - it's the lighting. They're in the same room but there are windows on one side and the light changes the color.

BTW, because Kilim Beige is such a solid neutral, it's been the number one SW paint color for 20 years.

[IMG]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/1b/05/b0/1b05b09743dba4786b02c54669764073--warm-neutral-paint-colors-sherwin-williams-beige-paint-colors.jpg[/IMG ]
    Well, the thing is… the apartment upstairs is painted in a green color now, and the landlord said she wants it to be repainted with something similar. I'm hoping that she'll go for a more neutral greenish color like the Comfort Gray I posted above. But I don't think she wants to do something completely different.

Plus, I've never had a place decorated in green before… And I kind of like the idea of green walls, because I'm planning on filming recipe videos in my kitchen and I figured that the green color would go along with the veggie theme, you know? Heh.

But like I said, I want it to be very toned down and neutral so it's not too much.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    They had it last time, too, and took em 5 trips to get it right.
    Yes, but that was because I picked a color that was way too bright for that accent wall. It wasn't their fault. Andit wasn't actually five trips, it's just that they had to keep adding more black or white to it several tries before we got it to look muted, haha.

You're welcome. Thanks for asking.

HelloOooo. It's called wainscoting.

Sheesh.
    LOL! I'm sorry for not using the proper word.

― Henry David Thoreau

For example, on this color wheel. If I choose green, I'd accent with yellow (green=warm and yellow=cool) if I want the area to be bright and fun (a patio or kitchen) and I'd go with green (cool) and blue (cool) if I were doing a bedroom or bathroom. It really depends on what you're going for.

*DISCLAIMER*
    Before you take my advice you should know I have a giant t-rex and a gas mask in my bathroom. My decor is a little...quirky. That may be why I like neutrals. If I had green walls, what was once quirky would look pretty crazy. BTW, I also have a rubber chicken and a real baby shark in formaldehyde in my kitchen.
    *sneaks up.. swipes the wine glass*

there is no cool yellow.. yellow is a warm color

kilm beige around here is called builder beige.. not terribly affectionately either.

A lot of designers have gone to grey as the "in" neutral.. I'd get depressed in grey rooms but it's all personal taste.
    Going for warm colors around food is a good move.

*sneaks up.. swipes the wine glass*

there is no cool yellow.. yellow is a warm color

kilm beige around here is called builder beige.. not terribly affectionately either.

A lot of designers have gone to grey as the "in" neutral.. I'd get depressed in grey rooms but it's all personal taste.
    There's no warm green, either. I was on a roll.

Hey! Don't mess with muh beige but I totally agree with you on the grey thing. I noticed over the past few years everything's turned grey. I don't mind a few grey accents (I have a few but I didn't pick them out) but grey everywhere is just too cold. I don't think grey is selling all that well because I've noticed the "newest" color is greige. It's a grayish beige.

Although I love it, I get what you're saying about Kilim. It is everywhere but I have some weird crap sitting around my house (not only the few things I mentioned but think large red lamps with little gnome finials, monkey lamps (three), a rather large hobo statue, throw pillow that's a globe...) and I think a colored wall would detract from my collections. Mr A is very conservative and a bit uptight, I have to give his eyes a place to rest because he's not too keen on some of my junk treasures.

This guy is winning eBay. Goodwill find, currently 64 bids $10,200.00 with 8 days to go:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-Apple-Spe...AAAOSwq9lZhQ~k
    Last edited by angelatc; 08-10-2017 at 11:37 AM.

I felt that way too. But the particular color that I picked is actually more like a very soft muted green than a gray. (I checked the hexadecimal code and it does have more green in it than anything else... it's just that the name has the word gray in it.)

Also, since the landlord said she wanted to stick with a green color, I couldn't go with a beige or something like that.

They haven't actually started painting yet (we're probably going to move up there on the 15th) but I'll let you guys know how it look once it's all done.

― Henry David Thoreau

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.

*DISCLAIMER*
    Wut? U need a wheel with tertiary colours. Here's a handy wheel and basic color harmony terms: http://worqx.com/color/color_wheel.htm

While I was away I did some retail therapy at the thrift store and found an amazing bargain. I was looking for a skirt to wear with my boots and found the perfect thing. BRAND NEW! Retail for $280.00. I paid $3.00. I didn't even notice the original price tag when I bought it, btw.

Excuse the mess on the floor behind me. I keep my tall boots in that bag under the bed and I had just come in from a run (shorts on floor). I took this pic for Lucille. She wanted to see the skirt with the boots. I think they go together. The boots are suede. The skirt fits better than the pic shows because I had one of Mr A's giant shirts crammed up around the waist.

While I was away I did some retail therapy at the thrift store and found an amazing bargain. I was looking for a skirt to wear with my boots and found the perfect thing. BRAND NEW! Retail for $280.00. I paid $3.00. I didn't even notice the original price tag when I bought it, btw.

Excuse the mess on the floor behind me. I keep my tall boots in that bag under the bed and I had just come in from a run (shorts on floor). I took this pic for Lucille. She wanted to see the skirt with the boots. I think they go together. The boots are suede. The skirt fits better than the pic shows because I had one of Mr A's giant shirts crammed up around the waist.

they look perfect together.

i love the zippers, very hot!

Quote Originally Posted by CrissyNY View Post
    they look perfect together.

i love the zippers, very hot!
    Thanks! Me, too. It's hard to see in the pic but there's leather trim around the waist and zippers. I also found a really nice spring coat. I had never heard of the brand but I could tell it was quality and it fit perfectly. Anyway, I came home and looked it up and it retails for around 300.00. I'm not sure I'll keep it because it's pastels and I don't look that good in those colors but I only paid a few bucks for it and I might trade it for something I like with a friend or learn how to ebay and sell it.

Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast