Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tulsa, OK : Unarmed Man's Vehicle Breaks Down, Police on Nearby Call Shoot Him Dead

Cop Blames Unarmed Dad for His Own Death After Killing Him on Video With Hands Up

Tulsa, OK — Tulsa Police Officer Betty Shelby fatally shot 40-year-old Terence Crutcher in September when he experienced car trouble after leaving night classes at Tulsa Community College. On Sunday, Shelby went on CBS’s 60-Minutes to attempt to justify the killing of this unarmed man — and shamelessly blamed him.

In a brazenly despicable fashion, Shelby explained to host Bill Whitaker that Crutcher, who had no weapon on him or in his car, that she feared for her life, and her only option was taking his life.

“His hands were in the air from all views,” pastor Rodney Goss of the Morning Star Baptist Church, who viewed footage from both dash cams and a police helicopter prior to the public release, told the Tulsa World in September. “It was not apparent from any angle at any point he lunged, came toward, aggressively attacked, or made any sudden movements that would have been considered a threat or life-threatening toward the officer.”

The video evidence was so compelling that several days after it was released, a warrant was issued for Shelby’s arrest. She is set to go on trial in May for manslaughter.

Officer Tyler Turnbough, who had arrived as backup, took the less lethal route and deployed his Taser against Crutcher. However, Shelby fired before the electric jolt could even knock him to the ground. Also, Video from one patrol car’s dash cam and that is seen from a police helicopter circling above clearly shows Crutcher not acting aggressively as the cops surround and then murder him.

Bill Whitaker: Do you have any regrets about this?

Betty Shelby: I have sorrow that this happened that this man lost his life but he caused the situation to occur. So in the end, he caused his own.

Bill Whitaker: He caused his death?

Betty Shelby: Yes.

The mindset that it takes to believe this unarmed man is responsible for his own death is truly frightening. When Crutcher was killed, he posed no threat, was not violent, and was merely stopped on the roadside. Acting odd is hardly a reason to deploy deadly force — much less attempt to justify it.

Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop...gwtSbUQVTyL.99
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The mindset that it takes to believe this unarmed man is responsible for his own death is truly frightening. When Crutcher was killed, he posed no threat, was not violent, and was merely stopped on the roadside. Acting odd is hardly a reason to deploy deadly force — much less attempt to justify it.
    Avoid cops at all costs.

Even when you fully comply and do everything that they, often in a contradictory and screaming manner, demand, they may still blow you away.

Do not call them, do not associate with them, if they are in your family, shun them, and if you do get sideways with one, do everything you can to be as meek and submissive and pliable and compliant as you can possibly be.

This is called freedom in AmeriKa.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Betty Shelby: I have sorrow that this happened that this man lost his life but he caused the situation to occur. So in the end, he caused his own.

Betty Shelby: Yes.
    He did this to himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Avoid cops at all costs.

Even when you fully comply and do everything that they, often in a contradictory and screaming manner, demand, they may still blow you away.

Do not call them, do not associate with them, if they are in your family, shun them, and if you do get sideways with one, do everything you can to be as meek and submissive and pliable and compliant as you can possibly be.

This is called freedom in AmeriKa.
    Or just shrug and figure it's been a good life and get the drop on him knowing that the rest will stop at nothing until you are shot dead or burned up.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    He did this to himself.
    “I wuz in der middlof muh storm troopin one day and there 'e was this big-ass monstar of a dude just scarin me all out of the fearlessness of my incompetence! You cain't rightly stormtroop if y'aint fearless! So'z I give it to 'im good! He done did it to hisself I'm tellin you.”

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Or just shrug and figure it's been a good life and get the drop on him knowing that the rest will stop at nothing until you are shot dead or burned up.
    Today is a good day to die.

Yup, pays your money, takes your choice.

Probably the only choice a truly free man has.

Betty Shelby: Yes. because $#@! you, that's why
    Fixed it for her..
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

I suspect that choice may be coming more common in the near future.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Continues to plead the "he did this to himself" defense.

“I did everything I could to stop this,” Shelby said Monday. “Crutcher’s death is his fault.”

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/bet...EYPrGCzxOVB.99

Continues to plead the "he did this to himself" defense.

“I did everything I could to stop this,” Shelby said Monday. “Crutcher’s death is his fault.”

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/bet...EYPrGCzxOVB.99

A true hero.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have been thinking recently that Bad Elk v. United States is in trouble...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

did you see Shelby run to her SUV after the verdict?...i have no words..

so now we will be having to endure media coverage of the riots for the next few weeks.

Jeez.... Why aren't juries allowed to convict in these cases? What the $#@! is wrong with people?
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

"If you hesitate, if you delay, then you die," Shelby told the courtroom Monday.
    - Officer Shelby
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Jeez.... Why aren't juries allowed to convict in these cases? What the $#@! is wrong with people?
    Stockholm Syndrome.

Stockholm Syndrome.

More like voir dire.

That's French for "jury tampering."
    Last edited by CCTelander; 05-18-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    More like voir dire.

That's French for "jury tampering."
    Thought it meant jury stacking.

The defense called for a mistrial Tuesday, claiming prosecutors implied Shelby is guilty because she waited three days to speak to investigators.
    More blue privilege.

Be nice if you or I could avoid arrest and questioning for a few days to get our story straight.

Another example of why you never talk to cops.

Thought it meant jury stacking.

Pretty much what I meant, yeah.

ETA: When you stack your juries with family members of cops, friends of cops, people whose livlihoods depend on cops and the police state, and copsucking law and order conservatives whose fondest wish is to see those damned dirty ... fill in the blank (hippies, druggies, vagrants, whatever the flavor of the day is) get what's coming to them, the verdict is pretty much a foregone conclusion.
    Last edited by CCTelander; 05-18-2017 at 10:43 AM.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    did you see Shelby run to her SUV after the verdict?...i have no words..

so now we will be having to endure media coverage of the riots for the next few weeks.
    I don't think there will be riots in this case -- I haven't even seen this verdict covered much in the national news.

In the past two or three years it seems like more cops than ever have been charged, but virtually ALL are being let off with acquittals or hung juries. Even with video of a cop shooting a fleeing man in the back he gets off (on the murder charge, at least).

It has to be emboldening them, letting them know for certain they are above the law -- and these juries are just acting as enablers for their bad behavior. Eventually there probably will be a riot after a similar verdict, and most people will wonder why.

Terence Crutcher got SERVED. AND. PROTECTED.

The defense called for a mistrial Tuesday, claiming prosecutors implied Shelby is guilty because she waited three days to speak to investigators.
    More blue privilege.

Be nice if you or I could avoid arrest and questioning for a few days to get our story straight.
    You and I are not burdened with the noble but crushingly weighty duty of SERVICE. AND. PROTECTION.

If we were, we'd need the opportunity to "decompress" as well ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Itchy Fingered “hero” Betty Shelby Acquitted

https://ericpetersautos.com/2017/05/...comment-663585

By eric

A jury has acquitted a white Oklahoma police officer who says she fired out of fear last year when she killed an unarmed black man with his hands held above his head.

Of course. She “feared for her safety,” you see.

Because one unarmed guy – not “resisting” or “fleeing,” but failing to immediately become supine and obey every barked command of four armed government workers who had him surrounded (plus a helicopter in the air above) constitutes a “threat to officer safety” that must be met with immediate lethal force.

His “crime”? Odd behavior.

Keep this in mind the next time you think about arguing with a cop over a traffic offense.

It is getting to the point that anything less than cringing submission to every “lawful order” – whatever comes out of a “hero’s” yap – constitutes the capital offenses of “resisting” and Contempt of Cop.

But even Dirty Harry didn’t blow away unarmed targets – and of course, Harry wasn’t a poltroon who demanded he be accorded Hero status. Unlike this armed lunch lady who blew a guy away because he didn’t accord her the demanded immediate obedience.

The family of Terence Crutcher burst into tears and expressed outrage after jurors found Tulsa officer Betty Jo Shelby not guilty of first-degree manslaughter in the 16 September shooting. About 100 demonstrators later gathered outside the courthouse and some briefly blocked a main street.

“Let it be known that I believe in my heart that Betty Shelby got away with murder,” Crutcher’s father, Reverend Joey Crutcher, said after the verdict was announced.

A lawyer for Shelby said the officer was “elated” that the jury found her not guilty.

“She’s ready to get back to her life,” Defence Attorney Shannon McMurray said.

Shelby looked stone-faced when the verdict was read, but Crutcher’s family was quickly ushered out of the courtroom sobbing and wailing.

At least four of the 12 jurors were crying as they left the courtroom and they did not look at either the family of Crutcher or Shelby. The jury comprised eight women and four men and included three African-Americans.

Shelby testified that she fired her weapon out of fear because she said Crutcher didn’t obey her commands to lie on the ground and appeared to reach inside his SUV for what she says she thought was a gun.

Crutcher was unarmed.

Prosecutors told jurors that Shelby overreacted. They noted Crutcher had his hands in the air and wasn’t combative — part of which was confirmed by police video taken from a dashboard camera and helicopter that showed Crutcher walking away from Shelby, hands held above his head.

Shelby’s attorneys argued that in the two minutes before cameras began recording the encounter, Shelby repeatedly ordered Crutcher to stop walking away from her and get on the ground.

Crutcher’s family said police attempted to “demonise” Crutcher over the drug possession to deflect attention from the fact officers didn’t find a gun inside his SUV.

The most telling aspect of this business is the way it would have been handled had the shooter not been an armed government worker. If an ordinary person had fired a gun at an unarmed person, a person who was not combative, who was walking away from them… it almost certainly would have been a murder case.

And there almost certainly would have been a conviction.

Instead, this armed government worker – this “hero” who feared for its safety – gets to go home without even a traffic ticket to pay.

And will probably find employment as an armed government worker in some other state.

Itchy Fingered “hero” Betty Shelby Acquitted

https://ericpetersautos.com/2017/05/...comment-663585

By eric

A jury has acquitted a white Oklahoma police officer who says she fired out of fear last year when she killed an unarmed black man with his hands held above his head.

Of course. She “feared for her safety,” you see.

Because one unarmed guy – not “resisting” or “fleeing,” but failing to immediately become supine and obey every barked command of four armed government workers who had him surrounded (plus a helicopter in the air above) constitutes a “threat to officer safety” that must be met with immediate lethal force.

His “crime”? Odd behavior.

Keep this in mind the next time you think about arguing with a cop over a traffic offense.

It is getting to the point that anything less than cringing submission to every “lawful order” – whatever comes out of a “hero’s” yap – constitutes the capital offenses of “resisting” and Contempt of Cop.

But even Dirty Harry didn’t blow away unarmed targets – and of course, Harry wasn’t a poltroon who demanded he be accorded Hero status. Unlike this armed lunch lady who blew a guy away because he didn’t accord her the demanded immediate obedience.

The family of Terence Crutcher burst into tears and expressed outrage after jurors found Tulsa officer Betty Jo Shelby not guilty of first-degree manslaughter in the 16 September shooting. About 100 demonstrators later gathered outside the courthouse and some briefly blocked a main street.

“Let it be known that I believe in my heart that Betty Shelby got away with murder,” Crutcher’s father, Reverend Joey Crutcher, said after the verdict was announced.

A lawyer for Shelby said the officer was “elated” that the jury found her not guilty.

“She’s ready to get back to her life,” Defence Attorney Shannon McMurray said.

Shelby looked stone-faced when the verdict was read, but Crutcher’s family was quickly ushered out of the courtroom sobbing and wailing.

At least four of the 12 jurors were crying as they left the courtroom and they did not look at either the family of Crutcher or Shelby. The jury comprised eight women and four men and included three African-Americans.

Shelby testified that she fired her weapon out of fear because she said Crutcher didn’t obey her commands to lie on the ground and appeared to reach inside his SUV for what she says she thought was a gun.

Crutcher was unarmed.

Prosecutors told jurors that Shelby overreacted. They noted Crutcher had his hands in the air and wasn’t combative — part of which was confirmed by police video taken from a dashboard camera and helicopter that showed Crutcher walking away from Shelby, hands held above his head.

Shelby’s attorneys argued that in the two minutes before cameras began recording the encounter, Shelby repeatedly ordered Crutcher to stop walking away from her and get on the ground.

Crutcher’s family said police attempted to “demonise” Crutcher over the drug possession to deflect attention from the fact officers didn’t find a gun inside his SUV.

The most telling aspect of this business is the way it would have been handled had the shooter not been an armed government worker. If an ordinary person had fired a gun at an unarmed person, a person who was not combative, who was walking away from them… it almost certainly would have been a murder case.

And there almost certainly would have been a conviction.

Instead, this armed government worker – this “hero” who feared for its safety – gets to go home without even a traffic ticket to pay.

And will probably find employment as an armed government worker in some other state.

"Armed lunch lady." Snigger.

I'd rep you if I could, brother.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    "Armed lunch lady." Snigger.

I'd rep you if I could, brother.
    Eric gets a +rep for using "poltroon" in a sentence.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Annnnnd, back on the job within a couple of days.

Cop Who Killed Unarmed Father With Hands Up, On Video, Gets Job Back

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/bre...yee7vZpSh2F.99

Tulsa, OK — Tulsa police officer Betty Shelby will not spend a day in prison for killing 40-year-old Terence Crutcher. In fact, according to officials on Friday, Shelby will be allowed to return to her job on the police force.

Tulsa police Chief Chuck Jordan said in an email Friday Shelby will once again be a police officer with his department but would not be allowed to patrol Tulsa’s streets.

Shelby’s trial concluded this week when she was found “not guilty” of manslaughter Wednesday, by a jury of her peers. The jurors also wanted to go on record as saying she is not without blame.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 05-19-2017 at 11:49 PM.

Tulsa Cop Acquitted in Terence Crutcher's Death Resigns

(NEWSER) – A white Oklahoma police officer recently acquitted of fatally shooting an unarmed black man submitted her resignation from the Tulsa police department Friday, saying the desk job where she had been assigned made her feel isolated from fellow officers, the AP reports. Officer Betty Shelby's resignation is effective Aug. 3, according to a news release from the Tulsa branch of a national police union. She also said she was praying for healing for the family of Terence Crutcher, who died after she opened fire in September. "As I have stated before, the incident with Terence Crutcher was a tragedy for everyone involved, and I am sorry he lost his life," Shelby said. "I will continue to pray for the unity of our community, the safety of our citizens and our police officers."

Shelby was acquitted in May of manslaughter in Crutcher's slaying. Police Chief Chuck Jordan put her in an administrative role May 19, two days after her acquittal. She was not allowed on street patrol while an internal department investigation continued. Tulsa police spokesman Sgt. Shane Tuell would not speak specifically about Shelby but said internal investigations end when officers are no longer employed by the department. Prior to returning to work, Shelby had been on unpaid leave since Sept. 22, when prosecutors charged her. Her attorney, Shannon McMurray, said she's not sure what 43-year-old Shelby will do next. McMurray said there had been no agreement in place for a payout if Shelby stayed in the desk job for a certain amount of time.
    http://www.newser.com/story/245741/t...h-resigns.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Poor lady... I hope she's alright...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

She should sue the department.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast