Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trump Proposal To End Food Stamps Sends Dollar Stores Tumbling

Government handing out food or money is a bad idea, I'm not sure which is worse.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Government handing out food or money is a bad idea, I'm not sure which is worse.
    Troof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Both are bad- and help for the poor should be done at the local level and not by the Feds.
    There is no spoon.

I support it because the food stamp abuse is so infuriating to me, I’d like to stiff those lazy cheaters any way possible. I’d like to see them trade their chicken breast for a baggie. Haha eat that

Best part is- the truly needy would still be getting food, which is what the point of the program is, isn’t it? (On the surface, that is..)

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    What's up with Dollar General stores?

$#@!ing things are popping up like weeds around here.
    Dollar General Corporation, incorporated on May 29, 1998, is a discount retailer. The Company operated 13,429 stores located in 44 states in the United States, as of March 3, 2017. It offers a selection of merchandise, including consumables, seasonal items, home products and apparel. Its consumables category includes paper and cleaning products (such as paper towels, bath tissue, paper dinnerware, trash and storage bags, laundry and other home cleaning supplies); packaged food (such as cereals, canned soups and vegetables, condiments, spices, sugar and flour); perishables (such as milk, eggs, bread, frozen meals, beer and wine); snacks (such as candy, cookies, crackers, salty snacks and carbonated beverages); health and beauty (such as over-the-counter medicines and personal care products, such as soap, body wash, shampoo, dental hygiene and foot care products); pet (such as pet supplies and pet food), and tobacco products. Its seasonal products include decorations, toys, batteries, small electronics, greeting cards, stationery, prepaid phones and accessories, gardening supplies, hardware, automotive and home office supplies. Its home products include kitchen supplies, cookware, small appliances, light bulbs, storage containers, frames, candles, craft supplies and kitchen, and bed and bath soft goods.
    The Company's apparel products include casual everyday apparel for infants, toddlers, girls, boys, women and men, as well as socks, underwear, disposable diapers, shoes and accessories. The Company's merchandise includes national brands from manufacturers, as well as private brand selections. The Company offers its merchandise through its small-box locations. As of March 3, 2017, the Company's stores averaged approximately 7,400 square feet of selling space. As of March 3, 2017, the Company's stores were supported by 14 distribution centers located strategically throughout its geographic footprint.
    The Company competes with Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, Fred's, 99 Cents Only, Walmart, Target, Kroger, Aldi, Walgreens, CVS and Rite Aid.
    https://www.reuters.com/finance/stoc...any-profile/DG

The discount chain announced Thursday that it plans to open 900 new stores in 2018 for the second year in a row. Dollar General did not say how many new jobs the openings could create.
    "Our first priority remains investing in new stores where we continue to see great returns," said CFO John Garratt on a call with investors.
    Dollar General has become a shopping staple across the country. It currently has more than 14,000 stores in 44 states, a 35% increase from five years ago.
    By the end of the year, more than three in four Americans will live within 5 miles of a Dollar General, the company noted on the call.
    Dollar stores are one of the few retail groups that are thriving. Many traditional brick-and-mortar retailers have been eclipsed by the growth of e-commerce.
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/07/news...tore-openings/

Dollar General Hits a Gold Mine in Rural America
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-rural-america

Here's a flashback:
    Analysis: How Goldman's dollar-store bet reaped a fortune
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...93903B20130410
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

What government agency or contracted middle-man is going to handle the packaging and distribution and how much is THAT going to cost?

Eat better today!

Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    hahahaaa good one.

I srsly see the impracticality as being logistics. It will be a nightmare. Don't do it.
    It will all get 'sub-contracted' out.
    Just talk with Puerto Rico and see how that worked out. Don't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    What government agency or contracted middle-man is going to handle the packaging and distribution and how much is THAT going to cost?
    Amazon Whole Foods will be ready to take on the fulfillment and delivery process, don't worry. They're already accustomed to overcharging for groceries so $4 for a head of broccoli, charged to Uncle Sugar, will fit right in.

I support assistance to those that need it. The dollar is nearly worthless and buys less and less.
    Last edited by devil21; 02-13-2018 at 09:38 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Amazon Whole Foods will be ready to take on the fulfillment and delivery process, don't worry. They're already accustomed to overcharging for groceries so $4 for a head of broccoli, charged to Uncle Sugar, will fit right in.
    You bet! And that'll be much better than what we have because in failing to charge four bucks a head for broccoli, Dollar General doesn't maintain enough of a profit margin to make nice, fat campaign contributions to various and sundry House members and Senators.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

What's up with Dollar General stores?

$#@!ing things are popping up like weeds around here.
    Their goal is one every 8 miles.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A
    I support assistance to those that need it.
    Then you pay for it. Leave me out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Place the blame where it rightfully lies, with those that destroy the means of exchange, not on your fellow man.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

He did leave you out of it.

The part of his statement you edited off clearly indicates that the working poor can no longer to feed themselves because of dollar devaluation, dollar devaluation is in no small part a function of rampant government debt, so use the rampant debt to feed the working poor.

Once the dollar is totally worthless, the debt will be easy to pay off--assuming they printed as many FRNs as the government borrowed. I don't know about you, but I figure to be using junk silver, bitcoin and/or whatever by then.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 02-13-2018 at 10:18 AM.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Place the blame where it rightfully lies, with those that destroy the means of exchange, not on your fellow man.
    I place the blame on people who support any form of wealth redistribution which apparently includes some of us.

I place the blame on people who support any form of wealth redistribution which apparently includes some of us.
    If they let people earmark what govt programs their taxes would go to support, I bet the food program would be one of the best funded programs.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    He did leave you out of it.

The part of his statement you edited off clearly indicates that the working poor can no longer to feed themselves because of dollar devaluation, dollar devaluation is in no small part a function of rampant government debt, so use the rampant debt to feed the working poor.
    Just stop.

Low wages

Just stop.

Low wages
    I'm not going to stop trying to tell people how the middle class got poor, and the poor got to the point where they can work sixty hours a week and still not be able to afford food, until I die.

I think what the newcomer to this discussion has the most trouble understanding is the dollar is not a dollar--it's a nickel.

What do I mean? Well, my old man got out of the Army Air Corps after WWII and got himself a good job paying a dollar an hour. How is that a good job? Easy--it was 1946 and the dollar was still a dollar. As in, when he wanted a Pepsi he paid a nickel for it--now it costs a dollar. When he wanted to ride a bus, he put seven cents in the meter, or a nickel and a half--now it costs a buck and a half. When he wanted to sit down and have a cup of regular old coffee, he paid a dime, or two nickels--now it costs two bucks. When he put gas in the car (it was always cheap in Oklahoma), he paid 14.9 cents per gallon, or three nickles--now it costs three bucks. When he was hungry for lunch, he bought a deluxe double hamburger with all the trimmings for a silver quarter, or five nickles--now it costs five bucks. When he wanted to go to a movie, he paid thirty-five cents or seven nickles--now it costs seven bucks. And when he shopped for a new top of the line Dodge Custom with heater and radio and other options, it would set him back two grand, or forty thousand nickles--now it costs forty thousand dollars.

The Pepsi isn't any wetter, the gas doesn't burn any brighter, the double burger isn't any more filling, and the movie doesn't last any longer today (with no newsreel, serial and cartoon, it actually doesn't last as long). So, there's only one explanation. The dollar is no longer worth a dollar. The dollar is worth a nickel. Period.

Why do you think all the five and ten cent stores have been replaced with dollar stores?
    Nobody can get a raise every time the value of the dollar goes down. Except the boss, of course.

Meanwhile, the overwhelming national debt has us tied irrevocably to the Federal Reserve Note. Fortunately, that same debt is payable in FRNs.

The sooner the "dollar" goes full Zimbabwe, the better. Let the bondholders have them all. We're better off switching to real money.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 02-13-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    I've tried explaining this to left-libs on a political FB forum thing a number of different ways. It never sinks in. SMFH.
    Explain it a way they can easily understand. There are signs in certain places that say do not feed the wildlife. Why is that? Because they become dependent on handouts from people and stop foraging for their own natural food. Works the same with people too.
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Their goal is one every 8 miles.
    Jesus Christ, and just when it looked like we had the Wal Marx genie stuffed back in the bottle.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 02-13-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Jesus Christ, and just when it looked like we had the Wal Marx genie stuffed back in teh bottle.
    There is nothing wrong with Dollar stores- you can get cheap stuff and some of it is good quality.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    There is nothing wrong with Dollar stores- you can get cheap stuff and some of it is good quality.
    I moved to and live where I do for the specific purpose of NOT having a Dollar Corporal or Wal Marx in my back yard.

Where I do business with my neighbor, who employs my neighbor, and not some mega-corp based 3000 miles away.

I think what the newcomer to this discussion has the most trouble understanding is the dollar is not a dollar--it's a nickel.

What do I mean? Well, my old man got out of the Army Air Corps after WWII and got himself a good job paying a dollar an hour. How is that a good job? Easy--it was 1946 and the dollar was still a dollar. As in, when he wanted a Pepsi he paid a nickel for it--now it costs a dollar. When he wanted to ride a bus, he put seven cents in the meter, or a nickel and a half--now it costs a buck and a half. When he wanted to sit down and have a cup of regular old coffee, he paid a dime, or two nickels--now it costs two bucks. When he put gas in the car (it was always cheap in Oklahoma), he paid 14.9 cents per gallon, or three nickles--now it costs three bucks. When he was hungry for lunch, he bought a deluxe double hamburger with all the trimmings for a silver quarter, or five nickles--now it costs five bucks. When he wanted to go to a movie, he paid thirty-five cents or seven nickles--now it costs seven bucks. And when he shopped for a new top of the line Dodge Custom with heater and radio and other options, it would set him back two grand, or forty thousand nickles--now it costs forty thousand dollars.
    Great points, but I think you undersold the idea.

Many of those items cost much more than what you posted.

The Pepsi isn't any wetter, the gas doesn't burn any brighter, the double burger isn't any more filling, and the movie doesn't last any longer today (with no newsreel, serial and cartoon, it actually doesn't last as long). So, there's only one explanation. The dollar is no longer worth a dollar. The dollar is worth a nickel. Period.
    This is undersold as well. The Pepsi is made with HFCS instead of real sugar so it tastes worse, the gas is tainted with Uncle Sucker ethanol so it burns less bright, the double burger is packed with GMO fillers so it's more fattening and less satisfying, the movie is less entertaining and more than likely is a regurgitation of a story already done fifty years ago, the car may be more luxurious and better performing, I will grant that, but at a cost that is rapidly becoming un-achievable by a middle class income, thus 3 year car loans are now stretching out to ten years, leaving everyone in perpetual and continual debt.

I'm pretty sure money. Unless they start handing out soylent green.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Jesus Christ, and just when it looked like we had the Wal Marx genie stuffed back in the bottle.
    They're trying to come into our small town. The guy who owns their first choice spot won't sell because he does not want the mill on the property torn down. The second spot they chose is in the middle of a residential section on the main drag. People fought them off once and part of the fight involved pointing out that it would put the locally owned sundry store out of business.

It went out of business anyway less than six months later. So now they're sniffing around again.

I'm not going to stop trying to tell people how the middle class got poor, and the poor got to the point where they can work sixty hours a week and still not be able to afford food, until I die.
    So you can be wrong until you die.

Nobody can get a raise every time the value of the dollar goes down. Except the boss, of course.
    And there's the tell.....

They're trying to come into our small town. The guy who owns their first choice spot won't sell because he does not want the mill on the property torn down. The second spot they chose is in the middle of a residential section on the main drag. People fought them off once and part of the fight involved pointing out that it would put the locally owned sundry store out of business.

It went out of business anyway less than six months later. So now they're sniffing around again.
    Ugh.

IIRC these places sell the knockoffs and leftovers and overstock from the larger junk stores like Wal Marx.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Must be mighty cold in your world, angelatc. Taking care of those truly in need is somewhere you diverge with Dr. Paul, apparently. Seems there's a lot of those examples surfacing from your posts lately.

Ugh.

IIRC these places sell the knockoffs and leftovers and overstock from the larger junk stores like Wal Marx.
    Not necessarily. They just put one in down the road. It's cross between Wal-Marx/grocery/convenience store. Large selection of just about everything like cleaning supplies, auto fluids, boxed, canned, frozen foods. Top name brands, not many knock offs except their own packaged knock offs. I've hit them up a couple of times when I just needed an item or two and wanted to avoid lines.

Must be mighty cold in your world, angelatc. Taking care of those truly in need is somewhere you diverge with Dr. Paul, apparently. Seems there's a lot of those examples surfacing from your posts lately.
    Like Dr. Paul, @angelatc doesn't believe it is the Federal Govs. job. I tend to agree.

I moved to and live where I do for the specific purpose of NOT having a Dollar Corporal or Wal Marx in my back yard.

Where I do business with my neighbor, who employs my neighbor, and not some mega-corp based 3000 miles away.
    Happy for ya, but my experience with Dollar Stores is that the stuff is fairly unique, and sometimes doesn't last a long time at the stores because a big company will buy the product out & sell it for a much higher price elsewhere.

Also, Dollar Stores & Walmart employ the people that can't find jobs elsewhere- the elderly, etc. which helps keeps them off the government handouts- which is what most here are complaining about.
    There is no spoon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast