Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Undocumented immigrants are fleeing Trump's America

Undocumented immigrants are fleeing Trump's America

Omer Malik knew he had to slip into Canada to avoid President Donald Trump's crackdown on undocumented immigrants. But the 19-year-old native of Afghanistan needed a friend to help guide him. He found that friend in a 66-year-old former French teacher, one of a number of people here in the Adirondack region who believe it's their duty to comfort and support those fleeing Trump's vision for America.
    As Malik dragged his suitcase toward the Canadian border, Janet McFetridge gave him two bags of potato chips, a knit hat and - what she considers her most important gift - a hug. Then she yelled across the thicket of cattails and flowering grasses that separated them from Quebec.
    "Hello," she called, alerting a Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer that Malik was about to illegally cross the border to claim asylum. "We got someone here."

McFetridge is part of a loosely assembled network of progressive activists, faith leaders and taxi drivers who have mobilized to help undocumented immigrants cross the northern border. To some, they're selfless do-gooders ushering people to better lives. To others, they're perpetuating a problem that has debilitated Canada's immigration system.

For centuries, residents note, towns in the Champlain Valley have been a path to security, serving as an escape route for people fleeing slavery, the Vietnam War draft and Central American wars. Now, when it comes to immigration, this GOP-friendly part of New York has become a hub of the resistance.

"We view this as our Underground Railroad," said Carole Slatkin, an advocate who has helped immigrants traveling through Essex, New York, a town that was part of a major route for enslaved people. "While no one is being flogged, and no one is being sold, there is this sort of modern-day equivalent of feeling like people are in danger."
    Advocates say they try not to give direct advice to the immigrants, instead helping them find a place to rest or supplies to ease their journey. But the image of U.S. citizens supporting immigrants who make the trip is controversial in Canada, threatening long-standing, cross-border camaraderie.
    "To me, it's just being abusive," said Paul Viau, mayor of the township of Hemmingford, a Canadian farming community along the border. "There are people who sympathize with [the immigrants] and people who have a harder time with it. But no one appreciates that someone would pack them up and bring them to the border at an illegal crossing."
    Last year, as the Trump administration began enacting stricter policies against undocumented immigrants, Canada processed more than 50,000 asylum claims. That is more than double the claims made in 2016, according to Canadian government statistics.
    Many of those immigrants have been crossing at unauthorized locations, such as here on Roxham Road.
    Although the flow of asylum seekers into many Canadian provinces has slowed this year, there has been no letup into Quebec. From January through June, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police apprehended 10,261 people crossing the border illegally there. Last year, the police apprehended 18,836 people.
    The arrivals have sparked a backlash from segments of Canada's political system. In late June, Toronto Mayor John Tory warned that the influx of asylum seekers had overwhelmed that city's ability to care for them.
    "We have a problem, and we need help," Tory told Canadian reporters in a plea for more emergency housing.
    In Quebec, the leader of its nationalist party, Jean-François Lisée, has suggested constructing a wall along the southern border of the province.
    Roxham Road, a narrow paved road lined by horse farms and marshes, has served as a path recently for Palestinians, Colombians, Ghanaians, Nigerians, Haitians, Zimbabweans and Pakistanis, among others.
    After one taxi pulled up here, Fiyori Mesfin struggled to carry a car seat, stroller and two backpacks as she crossed the border with her two children, ages 1 and 3.
    Mesfin, 32, is a single mother from Eritrea who had been living for the past four years in Las Vegas. Her children are U.S. citizens.
    After she was recently denied asylum in the United States, Mesfin began to fear she could be deported or even separated from her children. So she flew to John F. Kennedy Airport in New York and then boarded a Greyhound bus for Plattsburgh, New York.
    "So now I am here just hoping it gets better," Mesfin said as she pushed the stroller, while trying to manage her toddler, toward Canada.
    Saman Modarage also had taken the bus.
    Modarage is a Sri Lankan native who fled his country in 2005 during a civil war. He had settled in suburban Washington and worked at a liquor store in Maryland.
    But Modarage, 51, decided to try to flee Maryland for Canada after he heard that U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement was raiding and auditing Maryland convenience stores searching for undocumented employees.
    In a recent statement, ICE noted that it has opened nearly 6,100 worksite investigations and made more than 1,500 arrests from October through July - more than five times the number of arrests made in the previous fiscal year.
    "Donald Trump's administration has pushed me here," said Modarage, who arrived in Plattsburgh with two sets of clothing and $300. "All immigrants are under threat. . . . If I got deported, it would kill me."
    The flow of people illegally crossing into Canada from the United States has continued despite an agreement in 2002 between the countries that is designed to manage refugee movements.
    The Canada-U.S. Safe Third Country Agreement requires migrants to make an asylum claim in the first safe country they reach, unless they are minors or have family ties at their next destination. The agreement means many of those who try to cross from the United States into Canada at an official border station are turned away.
    But a loophole permits asylum claims to be made by individuals who enter Canada covertly, such as here on Roxham Road, about five miles west of the interstate. Crossing illegally at out-of-the-way sites has become the preferred method for undocumented immigrants in the United States as well as those in the country legally who see their chance of getting asylum or permanent residency dimming.
    Many take a bus from New York City to Plattsburgh, where waiting taxis transport them about 30 miles to the end of Roxham Road, a 100-yard dirt path into Canada.
    Federal officers stationed on the other side of the border immediately arrest those who cross illegally. But if the crossers have proper identification, no criminal history and are not otherwise considered a security threat, most are released within 72 hours, said Sylvain Thibault, a coordinator at Project Refugee, a Montreal-based humanitarian group.
    They then stay in a shelter, or with family or friends, while they await their hearing. They are also eligible for public assistance, health care and an opportunity to apply for a Canadian work permit.
    Canadian law dictates asylum hearings should be held within 60 days.
    But Paul Clarke, executive director of the Action Refugees Montreal, an advocacy group, said the government is so overwhelmed, it's now taking up to two years for cases to be heard.
    Last year, Canadian courts granted asylum in about 60 percent of cases, Clarke said. Canadian authorities have warned that far fewer of the most recent arrivals are expected to qualify.

More at: https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...s-13130396.php
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    For centuries, residents note, towns in the Champlain Valley have been a path to security, serving as an escape route for people fleeing slavery, the Vietnam War draft and Central American wars. Now, when it comes to immigration, this GOP-friendly part of New York has become a hub of the resistance.
    The difference is this:

In all those other cases, for whatever reason and for right or wrong, those people were wanted.

In this case, they are not.

Therefore I wish them all success.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The difference is this:

In all those other cases, for whatever reason and for right or wrong, those people were wanted.

In this case, they are not.

Therefore I wish them all success.
    That was before Democrats decided pandering to illegals is a viable long term strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    That was before Democrats decided pandering to illegals is a viable long term strategy.
    Ah, well, yes of course, they are wanted by the Bolsheviks for voting blocs and street agitators.

We should subsidize a bus program to encourage illegals to go to Canada

And by encourage, I mean force them onto the busses
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Ah, well, yes of course, they are wanted by the Bolsheviks for voting blocs and street agitators.
    THE ONLY reason Democrats care about immigrants is because they want voters.

People forget/ignore that Barack Obama helped kill Bush's immigration reform when he was in the Senate because unions didn't want more immigrants. Obama had a near filibuster proof Democrat majority in the Senate and controlled the House when he was elected. He could have EASILY passed immigration reform because of how many Republicans would vote for it. But the unions didn't want it. The immigration plan they pushed in 2013 didn't increase work visas because of union opposition which is why Rand didn't vote for it. All they care are voters and welfare dependents. They don't want workers.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...gainst-part-i/

So in a generation, we'll need a wall along the Canadian border to keep them from coming back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    THE ONLY reason Democrats care about immigrants is because they want voters.

People forget/ignore that Barack Obama helped kill Bush's immigration reform when he was in the Senate because unions didn't want more immigrants. Obama had a near filibuster proof Democrat majority in the Senate and controlled the House when he was elected. He could have EASILY passed immigration reform because of how many Republicans would vote for it. But the unions didn't want it. The immigration plan they pushed in 2013 didn't increase work visas because of union opposition which is why Rand didn't vote for it. All they care are voters and welfare dependents. They don't want workers.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...gainst-part-i/
    @13:05

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Roxham Road, a narrow paved road lined by horse farms and marshes, has served as a path recently for Palestinians, Colombians, Ghanaians, Nigerians, Haitians, Zimbabweans and Pakistanis, among others.

Statists consider this good news.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    The ultra statists are being deterred from entering. It's great news. We can't cut off their state and federal assistance, so we are left to keep them out. I'd love to see some former USC rulings on non-citizen assistance and birthright citizenship be reversed, but that's probably not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    The ultra statists are being deterred from entering
    You're already here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

I fail to see how it is good for anyone. People leaving a place to arrive in a place they are not wanted and in many cases unable to support themselves .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    So in a generation, we'll need a wall along the Canadian border to keep them from coming back again.
    No, I wonder if in a generation the US would be worth coming back too?

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I fail to see how it is good for anyone. People leaving a place to arrive in a place they are not wanted and in many cases unable to support themselves .
    SM after making a "clever" post on RPF:

You're right of course. But there's a certain minority contingent of Americans who consider the presence of foreigners anywhere within a certain number of miles from themselves an even worse thing than sending them back to places they came from where they are not wanted and are unable to support themselves.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You're right of course. But there's a certain minority contingent of Americans who consider the presence of foreigners anywhere within a certain number of miles from themselves an even worse thing than sending them back to places they came from where they are not wanted and are unable to support themselves.
    Why are you making $#@! up.

Why are you making $#@! up.
    Out of rep.

I am an immigrant purist . I am not pro or anti immigrant . I am not accepting any at my house but I am OK with Dannno or Danke taking in a couple honies if they wish as long as none of my tax dollars are used to support them .
    Do something Danke

Big government statists and people would vote to have me exterminated?

Yeah, that's $#@!ing right, I don't want them near me and don't want them in my country.

Ideally, they would $#@! off back to where they came from.

But if they want to bail out to Canada, fine.

Let them deal with them, they have declared they are welcome.

I don't want Yankees, Left coasters or any other vermin living " within a certain number of miles " of me.

I'm not "enlightened" or even tolerant but I will leave people alone until their actions effect me or mine.

I'm not going to be friendly or welcoming to foreigners from this country let alone those from another.

But I'll never ask government to intervene on my behalf, can you say that about themme?

I have long said that we need the military to patrol BOTH borders.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The statists are the ones who want to flood us with foreign statists to vote the statists into power permanently.

In case you didn't notice it has been the state that has done so much to bring them and keep them here.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It is good for us and bad for Canada, they are now Canada's problem instead of ours.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No, those of us who want controlled immigration want to limit the number of foreigners so that those we allow to come here assimilate and become Americans instead of turning America into one or more of the horrible countries they come from.

If they are not wanted and can't support themselves in their home country it is not our problem, it is their problem and their native land's problem.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Out of rep.
    Covered.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/feb...forum-20120201

The 12-term Texas congressman spent the better part of a 25-minute address thinking aloud about the thorny subject. He talked about how Americans are more accepting of outsiders when the economy is good, but when trouble looms there is a search for scapegoats.

"I believe Hispanics have been used as scapegoats, to say, they're the problem instead of being a symptom maybe of a problem with the welfare state," Paul told the group. "In Nazi Germany they had to have scapegoats to blame and they turned on the Jews.

"Now there's a lot of antagonism and resentment turned just automatically on immigrants," he continued. "You say, no not immigrants, it's just illegal immigrants. I do believe in legal immigration. I want to have a provision to obey those laws. You have to understand this in the context of the economy."

Paul said he's not one of those politicians who believes that "barbed-wire fences and guns on our border will solve any of our problems." That's not, he said, the American way. And he doesn't think that a national identification card is the way to go.

What the country does need, he said, is "a much better immigration service" fed by more resources. Not that he'd "vote for extra money." But he does, he told the crowd, have a plan.

Paul I know; but who are ye?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Paul I know; but who are ye?

They're gonna be disappointed because it's far harder to get into Canada.

My sister tried to go to Canada to meet her fiancée, didn't have a round-trip ticket and got red-flagged as a potential illegal immigrant. They threw her in a holding cell with a bunch of Caribbean people who didn't speak a word of English. Eventually she was put on a flight back to New York (not even home to Georgia) and there she sat in the airport terminal until we could send her to money for a ticket to Atlanta.

People piss and moan about how hard it is to get into the USA. Get the f'k out and experience the rest of the world and get back to me about how unfair the USA is.
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast