Thread: Did MTV tell Paul not to mention legalizing marijuana?

Did MTV tell Paul not to mention legalizing marijuana?

it seemed he wanted the get the issue out that he supports hemp when he was talking about ethanol. but a line like "i would end the war on drugs, and pardon non-violent drug criminals" that would win a few votes

also should have mentioned he is the only anti-war candidate among from both parties

and WTF was that discalimer at the end "we want our viewers to know that Ron Paul is not a a viable candidate so dont vote for him" that really pissed me off

-
    Last edited by dvictr; 02-03-2008 at 06:56 AM.
    let it be remembered that never again in the future of political campaigns will a candidate receive the same support, enthusiasm and donations UNLESS the message is about liberty, freedom, peace, and the constituion. accept no imitations

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I doubt they told him not to mention this, it just didn't really come up.

The idea that growing hemp, a crop plant, is illegal because some varieties can be smoked is absurd on its' face. The main reason the marijuana laws were ever passed was because of the threat that hemp products posed to the early petrochemical industry.

That and to give a reason for the government to keep paying all those revenue agents who lost their jobs after the end of prohibition.

i didnt see that disclaimer...
    In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.-- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella View Post
    i didnt see that disclaimer...
    watch the video again... the line is actually "it's worth noting"
    let it be remembered that never again in the future of political campaigns will a candidate receive the same support, enthusiasm and donations UNLESS the message is about liberty, freedom, peace, and the constituion. accept no imitations

i dont understand what they mean y hes not a viable candidate?? has he not beat all odds by even making it this far?!?! its no suprise i guess...but it still pisses me off...
    In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.-- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamC View Post

The idea that growing hemp, a crop plant, is illegal because some varieties can be smoked is absurd on its' face. The main reason the marijuana laws were ever passed was because of the threat that hemp products posed to the early petrochemical industry.

That and to give a reason for the government to keep paying all those revenue agents who lost their jobs after the end of prohibition.
    I agree. Hemp can replace many major industries in this country.

All the established petrochemical, cotton/textile, fuel industries would be screwed.

The lobbying power from those corporations is enough to keep hemp illegal.

How is that "freedom"?

The MTV folks actually had a disclaimer that he is not a viable candidate and not to vote for him?

That is absolutely CRAZY!

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreApathy View Post
    I agree. Hemp can replace many major industries in this country.

All the established petrochemical, cotton/textile, fuel industries would be screwed.

The lobbying power from those corporations is enough to keep hemp illegal.

How is that "freedom"?
    Marijuana being legalized would allow for a HUGE new industry, a reduction on the need for toxic perscription drugs, and would boost the economy.

Hemp would be the PERFECT source for ETHANOL production once the CELLULOSE technology is perfected.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I suspect he didn't bring this up because he didn't want to appear to be sending a message to kids that he thinks it's okay to smoke pot. Saying that would have been pandering for votes by taking advantage of teenager's enthusiasm for drugs. RP has too much integrity for that.

It's not pandering to get votes when you tell someone the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by The One View Post
    I suspect he didn't bring this up because he didn't want to appear to be sending a message to kids that he thinks it's okay to smoke pot. Saying that would have been pandering for votes by taking advantage of teenager's enthusiasm for drugs. RP has too much integrity for that.
    Well noted.

RP is the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Menthol Patch View Post
    It's not pandering to get votes when you tell someone the truth.
    well noted, RP is the man

He needs to be careful about the war on drugs. Even among my generation the idea of legalizing isn't all that popular. If you'd have asked me six months ago what I thought about the war on drugs, I'd have supported it. Remember, my generation had D.A.R.E. slammed down our throats all through elementary and middle school.

Quote Originally Posted by dvictr View Post

and WTF was that discalimer at the end "we want our viewers to know that Ron Paul is not a a viable candidate so dont vote for him" that really pissed me off

-

Is this for real? Anyone got the youtube of it?

I can confirm the disclaimer. I watched it and the jist of it was

well the young people really respond well to him on the internet
    but you should keep in mind that he has no chance of winning

Quote Originally Posted by IamRealPerson View Post
    I can confirm the disclaimer. I watched it and the jist of it was

well the young people really respond well to him on the internet
    but you should keep in mind that he has no chance of winning
    TROLL!!!!!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Menthol Patch View Post
    The MTV folks actually had a disclaimer that he is not a viable candidate and not to vote for him?

That is absolutely CRAZY!
    No, they never said that. The "expert" from the Washington Post merely explained that RP has a large and sophisticated base of supporters online and wanted to "remind everyone that the results could be skewed."

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    Is this for real? Anyone got the youtube of it?
    It's on the RP YouTube channel.

I think everyone should understand that Dr. Paul would not outright legalize the drug trade. He would work to repeal Federal laws against it, and release Federal prisoners imprisoned by any laws that he could get repealed. He would end the ridiculous waste of treasure that is the "War on Drugs". But the rest would be left up to the States. Federalism at its finest.

It was the guy who was commentating on the polls, the one who was showing the candidates the results of the polls on the questions they were asked...

"I just wanted to remind you that this is an interactive event and people are voting online..." blah blah blah - that guy.

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamC View Post

Yep, hemp has no thc really.