Thread: Arizona man's driver's license features a photo of him wearing a colander

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries

Arizona man's driver's license features a photo of him wearing a colander

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/arizona-news/arizona-mans-drivers-license-features-a-photo-of-him-wearing-a-colander

One Arizona man said he is the first person in the state to take a Driver's License photo, while wearing a colander on his head.

The man said he finally won the right to wear the colander in the photo, and said as a Pastafarian, it is his religious right to wear it in the photo.
    "I was almost expecting to receive that letter, and was pleasantly surprised when the license actually did arrive in the mail," said Sean Corbett, who tried several MVD locations to get the photo approved, and succeeded in his last attempt. He said the pasta strainer is a symbol of his religion, the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

by Taboola
    Sponsored Links

Ad Content

Women in Ontario​ ​are Flocking to New Shopping Site​Tophatter

Originator biologic or biosimilar? Know the difference.The Biotechnologist

"The Pastafarians believe the Earth was created by an unseen flying ball of spaghetti, and the world was created in four days," said Corbett. "The whole premise behind Pastafarianism is you're just supposed to enjoy life and do whatever you really need to do while being slightly intoxicated."

ADOT officials said Wednesday night their facial recognition software should have caught the photo, and now, they will pull the driver's license. Corbett had hopes his driver's license will be a huge step for all Pastafarians in the state.
    "Now that there is a license in Arizona, it's going to pave the way for more Pastafarians such as myself to go to the DMV and say, 'hey, you did it for Sean, you have to do it for us now'," said Corbett.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Russia gets its very first Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Global Voices Online
    April 02, 2016 · 5:00 PM EDT
    By Kevin Rothrock

Comment

pastutin-768x371.jpg

Credit: Kevin Rothrock

The Church of the Merciful Savior has stood in Nizhny Novgorod for more than a century. It was built to honor Tsar Alexander III’s miraculous survival in the 1888 Borski train derailment, when the tsar is said to have held a collapsed roof on his shoulders, while his family escaped the wreckage. The disaster fueled a propaganda campaign arguing that Russia’s leader had been spared by divine intervention.

Last week, the church got a new neighbor, located just around the corner: Russia’s very first Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Nizhny Novgorod’s “Pastafarians” (as adherents are known) held a press conference on March 25 to announce the opening of their church, which will host public gatherings every Friday. (You can see lots of photographs of the event here.)
    “We can say with absolute certainty that this is the first Flying Spaghetti Monster church in Russia. Maybe it’s the first one in the world, but that’s not something we can confirm. Usually, Pastafarians meet up on social networks, not having a special place [to gather in person],” says Dmitry Znamensky, one of the church’s leading members.
    Religious” artwork decorating Nizhny Novgorod's newest church.

Credit: Petr Kuznetsov/YouTube

The church’s founder in Nizhny Novgorod, Mikhail Iosilevich, promised reporters that Pastafarians aren’t out to “troll” Russia’s traditional religions, insisting that his church is only looking for equal treatment and a little space of its own. His group was ready to defend its ground on opening day, too, hiring security guards to police the ceremony. Organizers said they didn’t expect any violent backlash from the city’s more traditional religious groups (singling out Orthodox Christians), but they did express concerns about the new spring season “activating” people with “various mental illnesses.”
    A couple of weeks before the church formally opened, Iosilevich and some of his flock held a party on the premises, inviting a local women’s club and Nizhny Novgorod’s “Club of Liberal Tasters,” whose motto is “Freedom! Equality! Insobriety!” The party attracted about two dozen people, who lounged in IKEA furniture, drinking beer and kvass, eating crepes (“The Flying Spaghetti Monster is offended,” one woman cooking over a hot plate joked), and reading poetry.

At one point in the evening, Iosilevich stood up and explained what Pastafarianism means to him. (Apparently, he’s made the Flying Spaghetti Monster so much his own that he nearly forgot the name of the American who created the movement.) With a beer in hand, smiling as his audience listened and teased, Iosilevich said that pasta monsters, colander headgear, and a healthy serving of satire offers him, as a nonreligious person, the means to push back against Russia’s criminalization of blasphemy:
    “There are different religions, and they’re all equal among each other [according to Russian law]. Everyone has the right to believe what he wants. On top of that, there is a law defending the sentiments of religious people—‘believers.’ Laws like this exist in many countries, including Russia. […] No country in the world, as far as we know, has a law defending the sentiments of nonbelievers. Everybody knows that nonbelievers don’t have any feelings, so offending them is impossible. And so there are cases all over the world where believers are protected by the law, and nonbelievers are always in the wrong. […] If nonbelievers are left defenseless, then it becomes necessary to invent their own religion, in order to level the field.”
    Russia’s law prohibiting public insults to the feelings of religious people was first introduced in 2013. Anyone convicted under this law can go to prison for up to a year. Lawmakers developed the legislation in the aftermath of the Pussy Riot trial. So far, courts have convicted just one person under the law: a young man in Izhevsk, who posted a picture online that upset Muslim groups. (He was sentenced to 200 hours of community service.)
    Earlier this year, a man in Stavropol named Viktor Krasnov went on trial for offending Christians by writing “There is no God” in an online forum. Before his trial began, a judge forced him to spend an entire month incarcerated at a psychiatric clinic, where doctors evaluated his sanity. Krasnov, who’s also made several anti-Jewish comments online, refuses to apologize for denying God's existence. He faces a year in prison, if found guilty.
    In January 2016, Andrei Filin became the first Pastafarian in Russia to get his driver’s license photo taken with a colander on his head. The headgear, considered a mandatory attribute by the Pastafarianism community, was made out of yarn, not metal, and was knitted by Filin’s wife.
    This story was cross-posted from our partners at Global Voices, a grouping of hundreds of bloggers worldwide.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-04-...ghetti-monster

I'm just amazed that his license is good for 28 years. My license's expiration date is only 2 years after its issue date.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    I'm just amazed that his license is good for 28 years. My license's expiration date is only 2 years after its issue date.
    Do you live in Arizona? Maybe that's just relative to the state?

Yea, mine is only good for 5 yrs. They are allowed to wear a collander and its good for 28 yrs? What gives?

The rapture...

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Arizona has weird laws on licenses. They want you to renew your picture every twelve years but let the expiration date be when you turn 65 years old. You could get one at 21 and be considered good for the next 44 years.

https://www.dmv.org/az-arizona/renew-license.php

Your Arizona driver's license is valid until you are 65 years old. During this time you will not need to renew your license; however, you will need to visit an AZ DMV office every 12 years to update your photo and take a vision exam. See the “Update Your AZ Driver's License Photo" section below for more information.

When you renew your license when you are 60 years old or older, the ADOT will issue you a driver's license valid for 5 years.

You will not receive a renewal notice before your Arizona driver's license expires.

You can only renew your AZ drivers license in person. You cannot renew online or by mail.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Arizona has weird laws on licenses. They want you to renew your picture every twelve years but let the expiration date be when you turn 65 years old. You could get one at 21 and be considered good for the next 44 years.

You also have to get your vision checked every 12 years. The idea about what they call an "extended" license is meaningless and useless. I assume that if they take your picture, then you are issued a new card. Your legality of driving expires every 12 years--their dumb process notwithstanding. Not weird, but more like a feel good gimmick.

https://www.azdot.gov/motor-vehicles...se-information
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Oooo, I love the people who think they are thwarting government by doing such things. I'm sure the founding father ghosts are giving them a big hooray.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

I think ours are 6 . The fee is higher every time I renew .