Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amash endorsed the idea of establishing an Equal Rights Amendment

Amash endorsed the idea of establishing an Equal Rights Amendment

On February 13, 2020, Michigan Congressman Justin Amash endorsed the idea of establishing an Equal Rights Amendment.

Under the ERA, the government would allegedly guarantee equal legal rights for all Americans regardless of their sex.
    Amash tweeted, “Equality before the law is fundamental to the Rule of Law and foundational to liberty. The Constitution exists to protect our liberty, so I have long advocated including a federal equal protection clause in the Constitution.”

He added, “Drafting a new nondiscrimination amendment would allow us to enshrine our modern understanding of equal protection as preventing all arbitrary discrimination by government, and it would allow states to consider the proposal without being under a constitutionally dubious deadline.”

Amash’s support for the ERA is indicative of the leftward lurch he taken as evidenced by supporting the impeachment of President Donald Trump and voting for legislation that would have funded transgender surgeries for members of the military.

The ERA is one of the biggest pet projects of the cultural Left.
    They were able to score major victories by establishing forced integration, the 1965 Immigration Act, and affirmative action throughout the 1960s.
    However, they did fail trying to ratify the ERA during the 1970s. But that has not stopped in recent times.
    Now the Left has a new ally in Amash, who used to be a solid libertarian conservative.
    Ratifying the ERA will only consolidate the managerial state’s hold over the private affairs of Americans and usher in more social radicalism via public administration.

Given Amash’s liberty background, he should think twice before endorsing the ERA.

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/why-is...l-engineering/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How about non-discrimination of people with common sense?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    How about non-discrimination of people with common sense?
    That's patriarchal oppression.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The problem with this, is that saying “may not discriminate” gets into the private opinions of private citizens and private property rights.

Strip government intervention back the fundamental, inalienable rights to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness and there you go. If Amash is such a liberty hero, this is what he would propose.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

This is crappy legislation.

Amash should focus on something better with the time he has left in office.

Mmj patients???

Nah
    Fk them
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    The problem with this, is that saying “may not discriminate” gets into the private opinions of private citizens and private property rights.

Strip government intervention back the fundamental, inalienable rights to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness and there you go. If Amash is such a liberty hero, this is what he would propose.
    I couldn't agree more. He has been compromised, IMHO.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Amash is a leftist libertarian. He is just as concerned about ending racism and sexism as he is about promoting liberty and the non-aggression principle. Perhaps it is time to retire his section in the Defenders of Liberty forum.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I do not support govt discrimination and by govt, I don't mean citizens receiving benefit from govt, I am talking about govt itself, I believe if you want to discriminate, you do it with your won money. Then again, I don't support racial quotas or affirmative action programs. So if this bill is just to say that govt should not discriminate(which I was under the impression it could not do before) then I have no problem with it
    Last edited by juleswin; 02-17-2020 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I do not support govt discrimination and by govt, I don't mean citizens receiving benefit from govt, I am talking about govt itself, I believe if you want to discriminate, you do it with your won money. Then again, I don't support racial quotas or affirmative action programs. So if this bill is just to say that govt should not discriminate(which I was under the impression it could not do before) then I have no problem with it
    That's not all it does, it will do things like forcing people to allow men in women's bathrooms, drafting women and many other gross insults to liberty and justice.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    How long until Amash changes his pronouns?
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    In public or in private?
    He may be hiding something from us.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Anyone have proof that Amash is stomping on rights? Or is this just more garbage from the Trump supporters who have their panties in a wad because Amash doesn't like the big government lying sack of anti Liberty Trump.

"Drafting a new nondiscrimination amendment would allow us to enshrine our modern understanding of equal protection as preventing all arbitrary discrimination by government"

To stop government from discriminating. Like with Affirmative Action. Or are you big government Trump supporters wanting to keep AA? Nothing about the private sector. If he tries to apply it to the private sector, then you'd have something.
    Last edited by tebowlives; 02-17-2020 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tebowlives View Post
    "Drafting a new nondiscrimination amendment would allow us to enshrine our modern understanding of equal protection as preventing all arbitrary discrimination by government"

To stop government from discriminating. Like with Affirmative Action. Or are you big government Trump supporters wanting to keep AA? Nothing about the private sector. If he tries to apply it to the private sector, then you'd have something.
    except limiting it to "government discrimination" is not even close to the "modern understanding of equal protection."

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    except limiting it to "government discrimination" is not even close to the "modern understanding of equal protection."
    Maybe he's referring to how there wasn't equal protection back in the day. Like slavery, Jim Crow, women not being able to vote, it wasn't a crime to rape your wife.

Anyone have proof that Amash is stomping on rights? Or is this just more garbage from the Trump supporters who have their panties in a wad because Amash doesn't like the big government lying sack of anti Liberty Trump.

The Bill of Rights - the first ten amendments - was supposed to be a list of restrictions unstintingly imposed upon the government by the people.

Instead, it has became a list of (revocable) privileges magnanimously granted by the government to the people.

I see no reason to think that yet another amendment will be any any different. Given the zeitgeist, quite the opposite.

Amash ought to know better ... (and I could not care less for Trump ...)
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    The Bill of Rights - the first ten amendments - was supposed to be a list of restrictions unstintingly imposed upon the government by the people.

Instead, it has became a list of (revocable) privileges magnanimously granted by the government to the people.

I see no reason to think that yet another amendment will be any any different. Given the zeitgeist, quite the opposite.

Amash ought to know better ... (and I could not care less for Trump ...)
    Ought to know better as far as wasting time? We don't know what he's backing or wanting specifically.
    Last edited by tebowlives; 02-18-2020 at 01:18 AM.

Ought to know better as far as wasting time? We don't know what he's backing or wanting specifically.
    It doesn't matter what he's "backing or wanting specifically." Whatever an "Equal Rights" amendment might end up being, if it is at all genuinely libertarian, then the odds of it not being ignored or perverted are virtually nil - especially in an age where "social justice" is a thing. And of course, the odds of it being "at all genuinely libertarian" in the first place is even smaller than that ...

Amash works in the belly of the beast. He ought to know these things.

It doesn't matter what he's "backing or wanting specifically." Whatever an "Equal Rights" amendment might end up being, if it is at all genuinely libertarian, then the odds of it not being ignored or perverted are virtually nil - especially in an age where "social justice" is a thing. And of course, the odds of it being "at all genuinely libertarian" in the first place is even smaller than that ...

Amash works in the belly of the beast. He ought to know these things.
    Of course it matters what he's backing. It always matters. That is the most important thing, policy.

Amash doesn't quit on his beliefs. We know where he's going to go with this. Unless there is some proof he doesn't believe in small government anymore which I'd like to see. He's one of the best reps in Congress because of the policies he backs.
    Last edited by tebowlives; 02-18-2020 at 02:48 PM.

Of course it matters what he's backing. It always matters. That is the most important thing, policy.

Amash doesn't quit on his beliefs. We know where he's going to go with this. Unless there is some proof he doesn't believe in small government anymore which I'd like to see. He's one of the best reps in Congress because of the policies he backs.
    Good job focusing on the semantics of my first sentence and ignoring everything that followed.

Have a nice day and good luck with all that.

Good job focusing on the semantics of my first sentence and ignoring everything that followed.
    lol I didn't ignore it. I asked why you are saying what you said when you it sounds like you made it up to fit your agenda. No idea what he's backing because there hasn't been anything presented except a general statement. But it's bad and you think he should do something else. You choose to run with that premise. Could be. But I'll withhold judgement.

Have a nice day and good luck with all that.
    awww Did I hurt your feelings because I disagreed with you?

lol I didn't ignore it.
    You did.

I asked why you are saying what you said when you it sounds like you made it up to fit your agenda. No idea what he's backing because there hasn't been anything presented except a general statement. But it's bad and you think he should do something else. You choose to run with that premise. Could be. But I'll withhold judgement.
    I told you why I don't think it matters "what he's backing." But instead of actually addressing what I said, you accuse me of having some kind of "agenda."

Given the social and political climate in America today, if you or Amash really imagine that anything at all good (let alone liberty-enhancing) is going to come from any sort of so-called "Equal Rights" amendment, then I honestly don't know what to tell you. Best case scenario: any such amendment will simply be ignored or evaded (just like all the other nice-sounding amendments we already have). I don't even want to think about the worst case scenario ...

awww Did I hurt your feelings because I disagreed with you?
    I say "Have a nice day and good luck" and you take this as evidence that my feelings are hurt?

(Now I remember why I don't post much around here any more ...)

You did.
    No I didn't

I told you why I don't think it matters "what he's backing." But instead of actually addressing what I said, you accuse me of having some kind of "agenda."
    I did address it. Your agenda has nothing to do with actual policy since we don't know what that policy is. Which I've already explained to you once.

Given the social and political climate in America today, if you or Amash really imagine that anything at all good (let alone liberty-enhancing) is going to come from any sort of so-called "Equal Rights" amendment, then I honestly don't know what to tell you. Best case scenario: any such amendment will simply be ignored or evaded (just like all the other nice-sounding amendments we already have). I don't even want to think about the worst case scenario ...
    Could be. But again you no proof. Congress usually doesn't pass bills and then ignore them right away.

I say "Have a nice day and good luck" and you take this as evidence that my feelings are hurt?
    Your feathers were ruffled. It was condescending. Which was obvious. Just like in this post where you try to make it about me. it's silly.

(Now I remember why I don't post much around here any more ...)
    Because you have nothing relevant to say if one goes by this thread. You made up a scenario and act like it's the truth.

Alright , What the hell is an equal rights amendment? What rights are you all looking for that are currently denied because of your sex ? Why is that a good idea ?
    Do something Danke

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Alright , What the hell is an equal rights amendment? What rights are you all looking for that are currently denied because of your sex ? Why is that a good idea ?
    We don't know since there isn't even a rough draft that I'm aware of. We have to pass the bill, so that you can find out what is in it.

blarg blarg blarg
    You're not nearly as good as juleswin at telling other people what they "really" think or mean, despite anything they've actually said.

*plonk*

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    It isn't. It's a terrible idea. Amash ought to know better. And the more vague and unspecified the details, the more he ought to know it.

You're not nearly as good as juleswin at telling other people what they "really" think or mean, despite anything they've actually said.

*plonk*
    It's not about what you just made up about me. It's about the topic. Which is about a general statement made by Amash. Big deal.
    Last edited by tebowlives; 02-19-2020 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    Who cares? Look at how he votes. That is what matters.

Should we not prevent all arbitrary discrimination by government?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Should we not prevent all arbitrary discrimination by government?
    Yes, we should. And among many, many other things, we should also prevent spying on US citizens without showing cause.

But adding more words to a piece of paper that the government already ignores at its convenience isn't going to accomplish any of those things.

Even worse, given the current social and political climate, it is all but certain that any new words involving pleasant-sounding "equal rights" and "no discrimination" rhetoric will be employed as a justification for granting special privileges to (some) people over others rather than as restrictions upon the same government charged with enforcing those restrictions ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast