Thread: Artificial Intelligence

Artificial Intelligence

A great place to start:

There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    A great place to start:

It took him until about the 12:00 mark to hint at the true danger, and he skipped over it without realizing the importance or ramifications. It's unlikely that an AI system will evolve in the way that he discusses, where it has it's own goals, purposes, drives and true self-awareness. It is a tool. But there are much more likely dangers. Human over-reliance on these tools and a general de-evolution may already be occurring. Evolutionary pressures are changing dramatically, which will effect humans.

And now the real danger that he simply alluded to. He talked about implanting this technology into humans, and that this might counter a growing AI threat. On the contrary, this may be the most dangerous thing to happen: to take the existing motivations of man and supercharge them. You will get the good, the bad and the ugly. No need to worry about an evil AI machine when you can have a ready-made, good old fashioned evil human cyborg.

His ominous grand finale, that man will create a god is interesting, but it's certainly not a new concept. Sci-Fi has already pondered this, no doubt many times over. "Destination: Void", written in 1966, is but one example.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    It took him until about the 12:00 mark to hint at the true danger, and he skipped over it without realizing the importance or ramifications. It's unlikely that an AI system will evolve in the way that he discusses, where it has it's own goals, purposes, drives and true self-awareness. It is a tool. But there are much more likely dangers. Human over-reliance on these tools and a general de-evolution may already be occurring. Evolutionary pressures are changing dramatically, which will effect humans.

And now the real danger that he simply alluded to. He talked about implanting this technology into humans, and that this might counter a growing AI threat. On the contrary, this may be the most dangerous thing to happen: to take the existing motivations of man and supercharge them. You will get the good, the bad and the ugly. No need to worry about an evil AI machine when you can have a ready-made, good old fashioned evil human cyborg.

His ominous grand finale, that man will create a god is interesting, but it's certainly not a new concept. Sci-Fi has already pondered this, no doubt many times over. "Destination: Void", written in 1966, is but one example.
    Tis a brave new world indeed.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

I'm not concerned about machines. I'm more concerned about the way people use them against you. Especially government, like police.

Quote Originally Posted by inthehall View Post
    I'm not concerned about machines. I'm more concerned about the way people use them against you. Especially government, like police.
    I'm fairly concerned about the power they will create. Power over people. Power over other governments and nations.

Imagine advanced weapons, thinking computers, automation, biomedical advances, etc. A country that controls these wields immense power. A nation that develops and controls AI will be even more powerful.

Imagine an AI machine simply equal in thinking capacity to a human brain, but with the speed of a computer. You could task this computer to 'think' about the best economic system, war strategy, energy consumption, etc. In one week, this computer will have spent the equivalent of 20,000 years 'thinking' and studying this one task using near unlimited resources of the whole knowledge of human history and the internet.

Whoever controls THAT type of machine will be king.

That is why people like Elon Musk are demanding a sort of open source treaty with governments and corporations trying to ensure any advances in AI will be available to ALL nations and people and not controlled by any one.

- Diogenes of Sinope

https://www.cnet.com/news/artificial...from-machines/

Artificial intelligence experts sign open letter to protect mankind from machines

The Future of Life Institute wants humanity to tread lightly while developing really smart machines.

- Diogenes of Sinope