View Poll Results: Is being on foodstamps bad?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • wholly bad

13 25.49%
  • indiferent

5 9.80%
  • depends on circumstance

22 43.14%
  • no, they are good

2 3.92%
  • get off of them now!

9 17.65%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How does one one get off foodstamps?

Can you help me?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Z4G_Yx5ks/edit

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0A...ZfMWd2cXB0MmY4

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...eKRpd5RzY/edit

Editor’s note: The first half of this column was written by Elijah Ayers, a 20-year old abuse victim and resident of York. The second half was written by the Rev. Aaron J. Anderson, pastor of City Church, York, and board member of Prevent Child Abuse Pennsylvania.

| can sympathize with the young men whose trust was allegedly betrayed at the cruel hands of Jerry Sandusky. I too am now a young adult bearing deep childhood scars given to me by a man named Trusted. My mind has been hardwired with confusion and shame from his abuse, and yet I refuse to give up hope.

I was 4 years old when the nightmare began. Trusted was part of my extended family and lived in our single-parent home in a small urban development.

Mom worked a full-time job and Trusted helped take care of the kids. He cooked for us, put us down for naps, disciplined us harshly, and even entertained us.

Despite the harsh discipline, we trusted him and enjoyed watching television together. Like a responsible adult, he would get us to bed at a decent time. I recall the fateful day he put us to bed but later came back and invited me to stay up late with him.

Trusted betrayed my mom’s trust, but more importantly he robbed me of the carefree childhood every kid deserves.

Sadly, there were other evil men and women in my life who also violated trust. I sympathize with the Second Mile kids because alleged molester Jerry Sandusky was their Trusted.

The world cannot really understand what it is like to grow up with a mind that is dark and confused. Within my own darkness, the hope of Christ flickers. I find solace in the fact that the Great Victim knows my hurt and is walking beyond the second mile with me in my struggle.

Looking back, I deserved so much more from people who were trusted. I am hopeful that my own story illuminates the reality that those who commit unspeakable acts are rarely strangers. They might be living in your home, serving in your church, teaching in the

school or using their star status to violate a kid with a twinkle in his eye.

Aaron J. Anderson: Justice must be done for the victims of trusted men. We cannot rest until the victims have seen the community call their actions out as evil and swiftly deal with their crimes. The victims need to see our community demand a full and transparent investigation of how Penn State University, Second Mile charity and the Department of Public Welfare handled reports of Sandusky’s alleged misdeeds.

Elijah’s story is one that is far too common. The kind of abuse that Jerry Sandusky is alleged to have perpetrated is happening right now under our noses.

Trusted men and women are betraying our community. Schools are performing their own investigations instead of contacting the authorities. Children are being left in a destructive wake that will affect them for the rest of their lives.

Make no mistake, the rest of the community will have to literally pay for the consequences later through medical care of victims, legal expenses, imprisonment, rehabilitation and a litany of other expenses associated with child maltreatment.

Child abuse is the No. 1 health issue facing our nation, affecting more kids than even deadly cancer. We are simply not doing enough to end it. The Penn State scandal has given us an open window to talk about child abuse. That window will soon close as people shut their eyes to this hideous monster.

We must refuse to let the window close!

One abused child is one too many. It is the job of adults to protect our community’s children. We can begin the conversation by talking about ways we can better value children and strengthen families. Kids need us to act today to affect a culture shift that promotes the health and well being of children in homes that are free of violence.

Prevent Child Abuse Pennsylvania is committed to keeping this community conversation going. The recent canning efforts at the Penn State-Nebraska game were donated with the expectation that dollars toward prevention efforts is money well spent. We can act to invest now and seek to prevent abuse from ever happening or pay later in unimaginable ways. To find out how to keep the conversation going, go to www.preventchildabuse pa.org. Prevention is possible.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by palm View Post
    \
    MY income taxes go towards loans.
    Your income tax refund goes towards interest on the loans, you mean. Now, guess where that money you borrowed came from.

No. I am sorry bad things happened to you as a child, but you're the one that has to learn how to deal with it so you can get past it and get on with life. I am not a counselor.

Last edited by palm; 04-20-2012 at 08:07 AM.

I posted an example of me looking, I do so a lot.

I am on linkedin

I thought this thread would be a lot more constructive and understanding.

I also do clean my church members yards.

I wanted this to be a discussion of how someone can practically do this.
    And yet when we tell you exactly how we did it, and what we see as being wrong with your plans, you don't want to hear it. Make up your mind.

pcgame

Last edited by pcgame; 05-21-2012 at 01:40 PM.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    //////////////////////////
    Last edited by palm; 04-20-2012 at 08:08 AM.

Well she's giving me an interview. And so has everyone else who have met me during a walk in. I have never been turned down after an interview. Never.

I'll concede I'm being difficult, I'll tell you why, tell you my goal and how I plan to get there and please be patient with me. I don't deal well under scrutiny or pressure, <clip>

Also, be aware. I might be your boss soon.
    Only if I decide to go work for the government. Then it's a distinct possibility.

| can sympathize with the young men whose trust was allegedly betrayed at the cruel hands of Jerry Sandusky. I too am now a young adult bearing deep childhood scars given to me by a man named Trusted. My mind has been hardwired with confusion and shame from his abuse, and yet I refuse to give up hope.
    This opening paragraph has 2 major problems. First off, Jerry Sandusky is not the subject of your article. Jerry Sandusky is somewhere between the context of your article and the side note, and you should treat him as such.

Also, all of your sentences are in the passive voice, or a psudo-active voice, which should be used more sparingly, the Important actors and important actions should be early in your sentence.

"Trusted gave me scars" or even "I bear scars" should be the structure of your second sentence, instead of "I am a young adult"

Also, don't name the guy "Trusted" "trusted" is a verb, it makes the essay harder to read

I was 4 years old when the nightmare began. Trusted was part of my extended family and lived in our single-parent home in a small urban development.

Mom worked a full-time job and Trusted helped take care of the kids. He cooked for us, put us down for naps, disciplined us harshly, and even entertained us.

Despite the harsh discipline, we trusted him and enjoyed watching television together. Like a responsible adult, he would get us to bed at a decent time. I recall the fateful day he put us to bed but later came back and invited me to stay up late with him.
    that last sentence of the paragraph is the beginning of a thought. People write sentences like that do draw out the dramatic tension, but they also confuse and distract the reader.

Trusted betrayed my mom’s trust, but more importantly he robbed me of the carefree childhood every kid deserves.
    You skipped the important part. Yes, one can guess at what trusted did to you, but guess is all they can do. Don't make your readers guess when writing non-fiction.

Sadly, there were other evil men and women in my life who also violated trust.
    this sentence is out of the blue, and never reflected on again. I is unimportant, and should be omitted

I sympathize with the Second Mile kids because alleged molester Jerry Sandusky was their Trusted.

The world cannot really understand what it is like to grow up with a mind that is dark and confused. Within my own darkness, the hope of Christ flickers. I find solace in the fact that the Great Victim knows my hurt and is walking beyond the second mile with me in my struggle.

Looking back, I deserved so much more from people who were trusted. I am hopeful that my own story illuminates the reality that those who commit unspeakable acts are rarely strangers. They might be living in your home, serving in your church, teaching in the school or using their star status to violate a kid with a twinkle in his eye.
    When you write, in general, you should be more direct, and everything you write should have meaning. Sentence structure should be [actors] [action]. Look at how Rev. Anderson writes.

Aaron J. Anderson: Justice must be done for the victims of trusted men. We cannot rest until the victims have seen the community call their actions out as evil and swiftly deal with their crimes. The victims need to see our community demand a full and transparent investigation of how Penn State University, Second Mile charity and the Department of Public Welfare handled reports of Sandusky’s alleged misdeeds.

Elijah’s story is one that is far too common. The kind of abuse that Jerry Sandusky is alleged to have perpetrated is happening right now under our noses.

Trusted men and women are betraying our community. Schools are performing their own investigations instead of contacting the authorities. Children are being left in a destructive wake that will affect them for the rest of their lives.

Make no mistake, the rest of the community will have to literally pay for the consequences later through medical care of victims, legal expenses, imprisonment, rehabilitation and a litany of other expenses associated with child maltreatment.

Child abuse is the No. 1 health issue facing our nation, affecting more kids than even deadly cancer. We are simply not doing enough to end it. The Penn State scandal has given us an open window to talk about child abuse. That window will soon close as people shut their eyes to this hideous monster.

We must refuse to let the window close!

One abused child is one too many. It is the job of adults to protect our community’s children. We can begin the conversation by talking about ways we can better value children and strengthen families. Kids need us to act today to affect a culture shift that promotes the health and well being of children in homes that are free of violence.

Prevent Child Abuse Pennsylvania is committed to keeping this community conversation going. The recent canning efforts at the Penn State-Nebraska game were donated with the expectation that dollars toward prevention efforts is money well spent. We can act to invest now and seek to prevent abuse from ever happening or pay later in unimaginable ways. To find out how to keep the conversation going, go to www.preventchildabuse pa.org. Prevention is possible.
    If you wanted some sort of Ideological purity, you'll get none of that from me.

/////////////
    Last edited by palm; 04-20-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Just what is it you are being reported for ? Myself , as a Great Patriot , usually self report
    LOL. I'm sure the mods will be shocked - SHOCKED! - to find that I've been Reported.

That was printed in the newspaper and edited by the editor. I'll go with him on this one

Sigh. Then why did you post it?

I thought you wanted us to tell you how to help you past your childhood trauma.

(Kids from single parent homes are many times more likely to be abused than kids from homes where the parents are together. Did you know that?)
    Last edited by angelatc; 04-19-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Yeah I should get my Mom a boyfriend, even though she is schizophrenic.
    Last edited by palm; 04-19-2012 at 12:53 PM.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah I should get my Mom laid
    Where's YumYum when you need him?
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

Last edited by palm; 04-20-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kluge View Post
    Where's YumYum when you need him?
    Didn't he elope with his aunt?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I was against food stamps. Now I seriously am on board with the people who think the $#@! will hit the fan no matter what. Might as well get em if you can. This country can't be fixed.
    Click here for a free copper round. Every three people you get signed up, you get another free round! NO PURCHASE NECESSARY!

This whole thread is beyond ridiculous.

How do you get off food stamps? QUIT GETTING THEM.

WOW what a discussion. Personally i have never taken any gov assistance. I grew up poor and had to deal with land lords wanting to kick my dad and i out. We never asked for help from the gov (family and friends helped). I slept on floors, couches, and at friend's houses for most of my teenage years (2000-07). I barely got to see my dad because he would work his ass off to provide a roof over my head, and food to eat. Because of his actions i have learned ways to save money and work hard. I only went to community college for a semester (wasn't going to go into debt or use others money), i decided to get a job waiting tables while also working as there dishwasher and help catering. I easily out preformed my coworkers and help deliver meals and was the emergency call for anything (cooking to repair).
    Last year i decided that i had saved up enough money and needed to get out of Fallon, NV. I moved to Boise as a young (22 at the time) adult with no degree and with no friends or family up here. Had no job connections. What did i do? I applied everywhere. I ended up getting a job in Caldwell Idaho, which is about a 40 minute drive for me. Since living up here i had a medical emergency and just got the bill for it and after insurance i still own a good amount. i barely made enough to replenish my savings. after bills, gas, rent, gov mandates (car bs) and food i have almost nothing. With this bill, im going to spend $35-40 on food weekly (eggs, sandwiches, and bananas) until its paid off. Its depressing to lose so much that i saved up, but i am improvising. I will move closer to work in 4 months, with a roommate. that will save me about $500 in rent and gas. Impressing my coworkers with my work ethic, honesty, loyalty, and vast improvements with now prior experience in this field before.

My point is life is not fair. It is morally wrong to accept money that was taken from people by force. I have never had the government send me money or taken a helping had from them. In fact, when doing my taxes i was able to get a food credit, after filling out to the best of my knowledge i still had extra credits or something. i was asked if i wanted the rest to help fund food stamps. I gave them a big $#@! NO!!!! Learn to take care of yourself and if you need help. Have it be provided voluntarily. Using welfare only increases the idiots that use it as a tool to win elections.
    Once more into the fray...
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day...
    Live and die on this day...

Can I ask a question here? And please believe me when I say that I am being completely serious here. Palm, are you a pathological liar?

You claim you are unemployed and on food stamps, but yet you have turned down jobs before? Long term jobs?

You claim that you got all A's and B's in school, but yet your writing shows a lack of a basic literary structure?

You claim that you got an interview in a marketing position, but yet you do not have the aforementioned skills required to write with proper grammar.

You claim that you are poor, and have nothing, but yet you claim that you do not need the food stamps, and you give them away.

If you are not a pathological liar, then excuse me. But then that means you must be the luckiest man alive.

Did you seriously turn down a long term job, that would be paying you REAL money? So you can go an work at an internship for free, with the possibility that you might one day make some money?

I am sorry, but I am face palming here. I busted my butt looking for a job, and never turned ANYTHING down (I sold vacuum cleaners for goodness sake) and I never once complained about it being someone else's fault, nor did I ever once take unemployment. I kept chugging along, and I got a pretty sweet job now, because of the work that I put into life. And I am proud of my job. But you sit there and turn down jobs (Also, pro tip, if you take a job and leave in the summer time to do your internship I guarantee you that employers will hardly consider you for their job in the future. No one wants an employee that will bounce around).

I mean look. I am a diabetic, and I need to make sure that I am going to be able to take care of myself and buy my medications. But I never took government handouts. Ever. I would rather beg on the streets before accepting government handouts. I plan to quit my job shortly (by shortly meaning in the next year or so) to try my luck at starting up my own business. THAT son is success and the American way. Not accepting handouts and crying a moaning that you have it hard. Yeah you were abused as a child, that sucks and I am deeply sorry that you happened. But move on. Do not EVER say that you had a hard life and that is why you are the way you are. My mother starved most days because her father was a drunk that would spend money on beer for himself than food for her. Did she ever cry and whine about that and use it as an excuse? No. She said this is what I will NEVER be, and made a better life for herself. THAT is how you get off food stamps. You look at them, and you think "I will NEVER go back to this again" and you leave them and you start working towards a better future for yourself.

Also, this is going to go against conventional wisdom. Drop out of college. Get a job, save some money, self educate, and then go back. Because the only thing you are doing right now is racking up a lot of debt that you will NEVER pay off, which will keep you living on the publics dime for a long time.

**edit: 100th post. Like a boss **
    Last edited by jcannon98188; 04-19-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Palm, I wish you luck. When you finally hit bottom, things will begin to look up for you. I won't chastise you for using gov handouts. That is up to you. But, I will say, you will only get out of life what you are willing to put into it. If you are not willing to sacrifice your comfort for integrity, then you will have very little of either. Once your life gets bad enough, you will understand and be willing to give up your self and be a better man. Good luck.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by driller80545 View Post
    deleted
    C'mon now, don't be a tease.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    C'mon now, don't be a tease.
    Ok, I'll say it: Oilfield's hiring roughnecks!!!! No experience required. Good pay, good benefits, unlimited advancement potential.
    Last edited by driller80545; 04-19-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Best.Troll.Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by teacherone View Post
    Best.Troll.Ever.
    Not really that good .

Whats wrong with taking handouts from the government when the government steals money from you? The way I see it, you're just getting some of the money back that the government stole from you.

My father when on unemployment a little while back. Yet he paid more in property taxes alone than he ever got from unemployment.

A better policy would be to end handouts and stop taxing people. There are far too many people I've seen who are struggling yet still have to pay taxes. Thats a completely stupid policy.

Last edited by palm; 04-20-2012 at 07:57 AM. Reason: ron paul is soveriegn, barrack oba?a is an african, the moon landing never happened and my wife still loves me.

Dude, if you want a job stop posting your personal issues all over the internet.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast