Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unconfirmed Bitcoin Problem

Unconfirmed Bitcoin Problem

Years ago I mined a little bit of BTC, and forgot about it. With the prices going astronomical I wanted to open my old wallet up and sell some. I opened it in Bitcoin Core and I can see a bunch of transactions, but they're all unconfirmed and my balance is reporting zero. Anyone know how to fix this?
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It sounds like the wallet is still syncing data to get current. A full bitcoin wallet will take up 130 gigs or so

If you're curious about the actual balance get the address and go to blockchain.info and put it in. It will show current balance.

Also you'll be able to get corresponding amounts of bitcoin cash, bitcoin gold, and any other forked coins.

If you have the space and time to wait for the wallet to sync you should be fine. If you're in a hurry you could get the private key and use blockchain.info's wallet by importing the private key. Not overly hard but it takes a few steps. I could walk you through it, I'm sure there are instructions online too.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

don't feed the private key online.

Don't sell. Price will be 40k in 2 years.

buy a hardware wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    It sounds like the wallet is still syncing data to get current. A full bitcoin wallet will take up 130 gigs or so

If you're curious about the actual balance get the address and go to blockchain.info and put it in. It will show current balance.

Also you'll be able to get corresponding amounts of bitcoin cash, bitcoin gold, and any other forked coins.

If you have the space and time to wait for the wallet to sync you should be fine. If you're in a hurry you could get the private key and use blockchain.info's wallet by importing the private key. Not overly hard but it takes a few steps. I could walk you through it, I'm sure there are instructions online too.
    Bitcoin Core has been finished syncing for a couple of days now, and when I go to blockchain.info it also says my balance is zero, but there is nothing in the ledger showing coins were ever sent. It only says received. See screenshot for details.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasLastHope View Post
    Bitcoin Core has been finished syncing for a couple of days now, and when I go to blockchain.info it also says my balance is zero, but there is nothing in the ledger showing coins were ever sent. It only says received. See screenshot for details.

strange.

don't worry about blockchain info for now.

you need to open the debug console and write the command

listunspent

This command shows the actual addresses that currently holds the funds. Check them on the blockchain.info

You don't have much but you are right about trying to fix this situation. Maybe do a rescan of the chain?

Once you know which addy holds what. you can extract the relevant private key

Quote Originally Posted by Mordan View Post
    strange.

listunspent

This command shows the actual addresses that currently holds the funds. Check them on the blockchain.info

You don't have much but you are right about trying to fix this situation. Maybe do a rescan of the chain?

Ya it's only $5,000, but I'd hold onto it myself... could be $50k soon and $500k+ some day.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

strange.

listunspent

Those are just the most recent transactions. The full ledger shows more...

I ran the listunspent command and screenshot shows the output...

don't feed the private key online.
    Finally, somebody talking sense. I don't understand people running off to coinbase or blockchain.info and sending their private keys to a third-party as fast as they can type it in. The whole point of Bitcoin is that you control your assets. If you want to escrow your assets with someone else so badly, just go put your money in a regular bank. It's a lot less hassle.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Those are just the most recent transactions. The full ledger shows more...

I ran the listunspent command and screenshot shows the output...

Why are you hiding ? it does not help.

I looked at this block 288930 https://blockchain.info/block/000000...7822fdf1b10ebd

that is the block around 3/4/2014 20:21

There no transactions with amount of 0.01469055

listunspent does not list anything so your wallet is empty and it seems those are bogus transactions.

Can you give background info ? Who made this transaction? You remember synching the Bitcoin Core at the time?

You mined it? In 2014???? With your laptop? NO WAY!

Why are you hiding ? it does not help.

I looked at this block 288930 https://blockchain.info/block/000000...7822fdf1b10ebd

that is the block around 3/4/2014 20:21

There no transactions with amount of 0.01469055

listunspent does not list anything so your wallet is empty and it seems those are bogus transactions.

Can you give background info ? Who made this transaction? You remember synching the Bitcoin Core at the time?

You mined it? In 2014???? With your laptop? NO WAY!
    Here is my public address: 1BWCNpA3MGYHS3sbbVpGW7jY1Ean1Y3sX4 Does that help?

Why would a wallet report bogus transactions?

No I did not mine it with a laptop. I was part of a mining pool I believe...don't really remember details. I was mining FTC and RPC at the time too, but BTC took so long to mine I never really paid much attention to it.

At first I thought maybe it's the wrong wallet, and my BTC wallet is in a different location, but then when I synced it to Bitcoin Core it showed up with the transactions in the ledger, so I figured it must be the right one. How is it possible that the blockchain would report unconfirmed bogus transactions to me? I did sync the wallet in 2013 and 2014, but I'm not even sure Bitcoin Core existed then. I think it was Bitcoin-Qt or something.

No I did not mine it with a laptop. I was part of a mining pool I believe...don't really remember details. I was mining FTC and RPC at the time too, but BTC took so long to mine I never really paid much attention to it.

At first I thought maybe it's the wrong wallet, and my BTC wallet is in a different location, but then when I synced it to Bitcoin Core it showed up with the transactions in the ledger, so I figured it must be the right one. How is it possible that the blockchain would report unconfirmed bogus transactions to me? I did sync the wallet in 2013 and 2014, but I'm not even sure Bitcoin Core existed then. I think it was Bitcoin-Qt or something.
    you can't reveal your private keys without explicitly trying to.

You can double click one of those mystery transactions shown in the image you took then click the transaction when the list of transactions comes up to show the details, copy and paste in here. and then we can look up the info.

Edited to add since your wallet is so old you can launch it with the -rescan option. maybe something goofy happened. make a backup of your wallet first just in case. IF that doesn't work, then you can always -reindex, which will essentially start from scratch as far as the block chain goes.
    Last edited by RonPaulIsGreat; 12-01-2017 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    you can't reveal your private keys without explicitly trying to.

You can double click one of those mystery transactions shown in the image you took then click the transaction when the list of transactions comes up to show the details, copy and paste in here. and then we can look up the info.

Edited to add since your wallet is so old you can launch it with the -rescan option. maybe something goofy happened. make a backup of your wallet first just in case. IF that doesn't work, then you can always -reindex, which will essentially start from scratch as far as the block chain goes.
    Thanks. Here you go...

Date: 1/23/2014 22:01
    Credit: 0.10630472 BTC
    Net amount: +0.10630472 BTC
    Transaction ID: c16587ae806c2392635a20843a78f8f6a1275c6990a797f826 6e3b9d8a29bd1e
    Transaction total size: 225 bytes
    Output index: 0

Thanks. Here you go...

Date: 1/23/2014 22:01
    Credit: 0.10630472 BTC
    Net amount: +0.10630472 BTC
    Transaction ID: c16587ae806c2392635a20843a78f8f6a1275c6990a797f826 6e3b9d8a29bd1e
    Transaction total size: 225 bytes
    Output index: 0

edited to add. That transactionid, i don't think is valid, when I copy it,it contains a period, maybe some weird formatting thing with the forums. So,the rest might not be accurate, since the transactionid may be getting changed.

Well, that transactionid doesn't show up either.

That transaction was never included in a block ever. So, apparently it was dropped from the mem pool before it was added (not likely for such an old transaction,when free transaction could get in blocks), or maybe a double spend? situation. Or maybe a orphaned block?

Regardless, that transfer was not included in a block.

I've never had an invalid transaction ever. so, not sure.

You could post on Reddit.com/r/bitcoin/ likely some dev will look.
    Last edited by RonPaulIsGreat; 12-01-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    edited to add. That transactionid, i don't think is valid, when I copy it,it contains a period, maybe some weird formatting thing with the forums. So,the rest might not be accurate, since the transactionid may be getting changed.
    I don't see a period, but I do see a space where there shouldn't be one. I'm going to paste a different one in notepad first, and then paste here again...

Date: 1/25/2014 14:36

Credit: 0.10229437 BTC

Net amount: +0.10229437 BTC

Transaction ID: 87492ee03234c6443f535cd84a5053b95a894f1f340a6b185d 600ad38e561905

Transaction total size: 227 bytes

Output index: 1

EDIT: Looks like after I submit it it is showing up here with a space, but when I reply it looks normal. So again not sure if this will work. Maybe I will just post on reddit.
    Last edited by AmericasLastHope; 12-01-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonB View Post
    Finally, somebody talking sense. I don't understand people running off to coinbase or blockchain.info and sending their private keys to a third-party as fast as they can type it in. The whole point of Bitcoin is that you control your assets. If you want to escrow your assets with someone else so badly, just go put your money in a regular bank. It's a lot less hassle.
    The OP said he was trying to sell some, coinbase or blockchain fit if it was an immediate need. Also blockchain is designed so the wallet is yours, they can't get it not even the privkey. I wouldn't consider it as secure as a hardware, paper or personal wallet but it still secure enough for small usage.

I'm not seeing any transactions for that address either. unconfirmed transactions are rare, would be strange to have a multitude of them. However I agree, ask on bitcointalk or reddit and some of those more familiar with the inner workings of a wallet may help.
    Last edited by kpitcher; 12-01-2017 at 06:59 PM.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

The OP said he was trying to sell some, coinbase or blockchain fit if it was an immediate need. Also blockchain is designed so the wallet is yours, they can't get it not even the privkey. I wouldn't consider it as secure as a hardware, paper or personal wallet but it still secure enough for small usage.
    I've never used it and never will.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't see a period, but I do see a space where there shouldn't be one. I'm going to paste a different one in notepad first, and then paste here again...

Date: 1/25/2014 14:36

Credit: 0.10229437 BTC

Net amount: +0.10229437 BTC

Transaction ID: 87492ee03234c6443f535cd84a5053b95a894f1f340a6b185d 600ad38e561905

Transaction total size: 227 bytes

Output index: 1

EDIT: Looks like after I submit it it is showing up here with a space, but when I reply it looks normal. So again not sure if this will work. Maybe I will just post on reddit.
    I copied the ID from the reply-window and searched on blockexplorer but it says there is no matching transaction. Given that you are seeing a transaction size (225 bytes, 227 bytes), there should be some associated transaction info. I don't use the Bitcoin Core client because it's too resource intensive, but I'm guessing there should be a command that will pull up and display the raw transaction for you. What I'm curious to see is the input(s) to the transaction. If those inputs are still funded and if the original transaction was signed properly, you might just be able to resubmit the transaction. There is a website for submitting raw transactions and there's probably a way to do it with the Core client, as well. If it has a very low fee, it might sit in the mempool a long time but there is a chance it will eventually go through. $1,100 and growing, it's worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonB View Post
    I copied the ID from the reply-window and searched on blockexplorer but it says there is no matching transaction. Given that you are seeing a transaction size (225 bytes, 227 bytes), there should be some associated transaction info. I don't use the Bitcoin Core client because it's too resource intensive, but I'm guessing there should be a command that will pull up and display the raw transaction for you. What I'm curious to see is the input(s) to the transaction. If those inputs are still funded and if the original transaction was signed properly, you might just be able to resubmit the transaction. There is a website for submitting raw transactions and there's probably a way to do it with the Core client, as well. If it has a very low fee, it might sit in the mempool a long time but there is a chance it will eventually go through. $1,100 and growing, it's worth a try.
    Besides doing some hobbyist mining a few years ago, I'm pretty much a novice to intermediate when it comes to all things crypto. I'm assuming what someone said earlier is true regarding exposing your private key and that you have to deliberately expose it. Could someone confirm before I paste the raw transaction info that that is not going to reveal my private key to the world?

Besides doing some hobbyist mining a few years ago, I'm pretty much a novice to intermediate when it comes to all things crypto. I'm assuming what someone said earlier is true regarding exposing your private key and that you have to deliberately expose it. Could someone confirm before I paste the raw transaction info that that is not going to reveal my private key to the world?
    Oh, I'm not asking you to paste it here. And, no, the tx does not expose the private key, by design (otherwise, you would be giving away your private key to the peer nodes when you broadcast the transaction). Good on you for not assuming, however. Here's a link describing the tx format. I recommend extracting the inputs from the tx using Core commands. This way, you're not trying to manually monkey around with the bytes. You can safely post the addresses of the inputs because an address is just a public record index in the blockchain that is associated with an unspent output. Once you've confirmed whether the inputs are still funded, then it's a matter of trying to resubmit the transaction.

To check any address or transaction ID for yourself, just go to blockexplorer, copy-paste it in and then press enter.

Addresses, block numbers and transaction ID's are always 100% safe to show to others. You should exercise care with public keys - while they will not compromise your funds if they are exposed, exposing them is equivalent to address-reuse which is discouraged on the basis of long-term security considerations. Of course, showing your private keys is equivalent to giving away cash, so take utmost care with them ... just avoid handling them as much as possible beyond the minimum required to make sure you control your funds and have proper backups, etc. And, yes, you have to specifically export your private key in order to expose it (please don't do this, even locally). This is why this usage is discouraged. Instead, people are encouraged to "sweep" private keys, which just submits a transaction moving your old coins to a new address with a fresh private key.

When you have some spare time, consider reading over this amazing blog post to demystify the mechanics of Bitcoin transactions. Even if you're not a techie, just skim over it to get an idea of what's involved. Think of it kind of like looking under the hood of a running car ... even if you don't understand all the whirling gears & levers, you still get a feel for what's going on inside the vehicle.

If you decide to re-broadcast the transaction, you can use this page unless you have Core, then there's probably a way to do it from there.

Hope you get your coins back!
    Last edited by ClaytonB; 12-01-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Just stumbled across this from here:

Re-broadcast a transaction

If you want to re-broadcast a transaction right away, you can use the getrawtransaction and sendrawtransaction API calls to do that. As a bash shell-script one-liner it would be:

sendrawtransaction $(getrawtransaction $TXID)

(note that Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind automatically re-transmit wallet transactions periodically until they are accepted into a block).

1BWCNpA3MGYHS3sbbVpGW7jY1Ean1Y3sX4

https://blockchain.info/address/1BWC...W7jY1Ean1Y3sX4

there never was any transaction on this address. it is not the right one.

1BWCNpA3MGYHS3sbbVpGW7jY1Ean1Y3sX4

https://blockchain.info/address/1BWC...W7jY1Ean1Y3sX4

there never was any transaction on this address. it is not the right one.
    So there is a bug in the blockchain which incorrectly reported these transactions to my wallet? Who do I contact to repair this defect so others aren't affected in the future?

So there is a bug in the blockchain which incorrectly reported these transactions to my wallet? Who do I contact to repair this defect so others aren't affected in the future?
    Hush, you are going to destroy an entire industry.

If you go to the client console and enter listaddressgroupings do you get additional addresses?

Of course those failed transaction IDs don't show up in a BTC explorer or even a testnet explorer.

You may also want to find the version of bitcoin that was around when you created the original wallet.dat to see if using the new version somehow changes the addresses somehow when using old data. I haven't heard of that happening but it's worth a shot

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you go to the client console and enter listaddressgroupings do you get additional addresses?

Of course those failed transaction IDs don't show up in a BTC explorer or even a testnet explorer.

You may also want to find the version of bitcoin that was around when you created the original wallet.dat to see if using the new version somehow changes the addresses somehow when using old data. I haven't heard of that happening but it's worth a shot
    No, this is all I get...

11:52:59

listaddressgroupings

11:52:59

[
    [
    [
    "1BWCNpA3MGYHS3sbbVpGW7jY1Ean1Y3sX4",
    ]
    ]
    ]

This is my theory of what happened:

You contributed to a mining pool and you were awarded X bitcoins. These bitcoins are sitting in an address that would have paid to your wallet if the tx had gotten confirmed (back in 2013/2014), but it did not. Unless the owners of the mining pool have time-limits on redeeming your bitcoins from the payment address, they're probably still there. So you can get them by one of the two following methods:

- Resubmit the original tx as-is; assuming it has the correct signature on it, the coins will get moved to your wallet when the tx goes through; if the tx fees are too low (quite possible for 2013/2014 era tx's), it may get stuck in the mempool

- Find out the paying address(es) (the inputs to your tx's) and look them up on the blockchain to see if they're still funded. If they are, contact the mining pool and ask them to resubmit the tx from their end, you can show them the tx's you have to show that they paid you back in 2013/2014 you just never received the payment (i.e. you can use the signed tx as a receipt, effectively). Hopefully, they respond and help you out.

Trying a rescan now to see if anything changes.

never seen that before..

of course there are many fringe cases in software. tx malleability which destroyed MtGox was one of them.

Rescan didn't help. Going to look at some of your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Hush, you are going to destroy an entire industry.

The resident crypto pumpers don't like talking about posts like OP's, which can be found all over the net. Tons of reports of coins disappearing/stolen, funny business on exchanges where data like stops was manually changed by the exchange itself, the Tether "question" about whether bitfinex is creating the appearance of dollars entering the market when it's not...and more.

Sorry OP. I'll be shocked if your half a coin is "found". The exchange founder's yacht ain't gonna pay for itself, ya know.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast