Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you were going to buy a Big Game rifle

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Any of you guys ever owned a .375 ? I do not think I have had one .
    I do own a 700 but not a Weatherby.

I have shot the Weatherby .460 though.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I do own a 700 but not a Weatherby.

I have shot the Weatherby .460 though.
    I have a 700 and have shot a Weatherby but I think to actually buy a Weatherby I would probably have to live in Africa to ever get my monies worth on it. I am thinking of a BAR but have not made my mind up .
    Do something Danke

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I have a 700 and have shot a Weatherby but I think to actually buy a Weatherby I would probably have to live in Africa to ever get my monies worth on it. I am thinking of a BAR but have not made my mind up .
    I hear the 458 socom has similar ballistic to the 45-70

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I hear the 458 socom has similar ballistic to the 45-70

That is an eye catcher there .
    Do something Danke

That is an eye catcher there .
    Quite the thump too.

The 300-grain (19 g) round offers a supersonic muzzle velocity of 1,900 ft/s (580 m/s) and 2,405 ft⋅lbf (3,261 J),[1] similar to a light .45-70 but with a much smaller case.
    I'll bet that will crack a chest plate.

or stop a charging boar.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I still have not made up my mind but I have bought some fun stuff recently anyway, a Spanish side by side double 12 Ga , a fold up single shot 12 Ga , a Browning 28 Ga and an H& R .223 Rem. Now I just need @Danke to loan me some FRN's for ammo and I will not have to make any more arrows this summer .
    Last edited by oyarde; 05-15-2019 at 06:17 AM.
    Do something Danke

I still have not made up my mind but I have bought some fun stuff recently anyway, a Spanish side by side double 12 Ga , a fold up single shot 12 Ga , a Browning 28 Ga and an H& R .223 . Now I just need @Danke to loan me some FRN's for ammo and I will not have to make any more arrows this summer .
    If you want a good tried and proven all around big/medium game rifle, get a Remington 700 in a 30-06. Trust me on this, I know and there are many many reasons why proven throughout the history of this weapon and round.

Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    If you want a good tried and proven all around big/medium game rifle, get a Remington 700 in a 30-06. Trust me on this, I know and there are many many reasons why proven throughout the history of this weapon and round.
    I have one . They have a used 700 at the Bait & Tackle too I think in .243 , I considered it too but it is just too high I think and prices there are normally good , they also have a 22 250 , too high too . I am thinking of adding another ,maybe an AR type platform in .300 or .308 etc, that Socom Pete posted looks interesting . I am leaning towards adding a BAR in 30 06 so I can get some extra mags and maybe another 45 - 70 sometime . Other than maybe a nice double rifle , another .17 or a .22 Mag then I guess I am done at that . The amount of money I end up tied up in ammo on all these is staggering once you figure in a few hundred rounds per weapon . I have probably bought about ten just since I retired here 3 years ago or so . Only thing I have shot this week though is my recurve . Pete would love this new Browing pump shotgun , it ejects out the bottom.
    Do something Danke

I have one . They have a used 700 at the Bait & Tackle too I think in .243 , I considered it too but it is just too high I think and prices there are normally good , they also have a 22 250 , too high too . I am thinking of adding another ,maybe an AR type platform in .300 or .308 etc, that Socom Pete posted looks interesting . I am leaning towards adding a BAR in 30 06 so I can get some extra mags and maybe another 45 - 70 sometime . Other than maybe a nice double rifle , another .17 or a .22 Mag then I guess I am done at that . The amount of money I end up tied up in ammo on all these is staggering once you figure in a few hundred rounds per weapon . I have probably bought about ten just since I retired here 3 years ago or so . Only thing I have shot this week though is my recurve . Pete would love this new Browing pump shotgun , it ejects out the bottom.
    Good deal, the 700 is hard to beat taking most everything larger. The AR in .308 would be pretty cool. I have owned a couple AR platforms but never really liked them. like the AK platform better. But I really like my old H&R 45-70, fun rifle. I want to try reloading some spent casings with a sabot and .30 caliber boattail to see how they do, they should shoot a lot flatter and be pretty quick with all that powder behind it. I just got a recurve, still getting used to it, been using compounds.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pete would love this new Browing pump shotgun , it ejects out the bottom.
    Ithaca was lefty friendly too.. But I like that left handed models are coming out by several.

Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

They’re making AR platforms in .45-70 or .300 Win Mag too.

They run about $3,500-$6,000.

They have .270 Win, 6.5 Creedmore AR platforms as well for a little less.

The 700 is a great firearm with a variety of calibers. Pretty sure they are even offering a .300 Remington Ultra Magnum as well as .338 Lapua for 1,000 yard plus shots.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Looks like I see a couple listings under 800.00 for radical firearms 458 Socom 16 inch brl in black finish
    Do something Danke

Looks like I see a couple listings under 800.00 for radical firearms 458 Socom 16 inch brl in black finish
    That's a heck of deal. I'd be interested in the reviews.

Diamondback makes some good quality but cheap ARs in .308 and 6.5 Creedmore for around a grand give or take a hundred bucks depending the furniture.

You can also pick up FALs for 650-700, the CETME C308 for the same and they are tried and true tortured tested beasts that will shoot anything. Both have cheap surplus mags and parts.

Long range the .45-70 and probably the .458 have limited use. If you already have a .45-70 the BAR or a .300 Win Mag might be a better option.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    You can also pick up FALs for 650-700, the CETME C308 for the same and they are tried and true tortured tested beasts that will shoot anything. Both have cheap surplus mags and parts.
    This.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

https://www.stagarms.com/stag-10sl-22-6-5-creedmoor/

Stag 10SL 22" 6.5 Creedmoor
    $2,349.99

add a good scope and it is a 1000 yard gun.

oh, even better.
    https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/pro...reedmoor-24-ss

Price: $1,490.00
    Last edited by pcosmar; 08-14-2019 at 08:40 PM.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    https://www.stagarms.com/stag-10sl-22-6-5-creedmoor/

Stag 10SL 22" 6.5 Creedmoor
    $2,349.99

add a good scope and it is a 1000 yard gun.

oh, even better.
    https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/pro...reedmoor-24-ss

Price: $1,490.00
    With the 24'' barrel but:

Amazing rifle. Super accurate. Got it to hit a 10 inch plate, shot after shot at 1300 yards out consistently. Working on getting it to 2000 yards out. I know this rifle will get me there.

I'd get myself a gatling gun.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    I'd get myself a gatling gun.
    Or a Hotchkiss gun . Proven killers as the govt used them on the Nez Perce and at Wounded Knee . 68 rounds per minute of 37 mm artillery at 2000 yards .
    Do something Danke

I recently read an article where they pored through every comprehensive grizzly bear shooting on record back to like 1880, and it turned out that anything bigger than a .22 has a higher success rate at warding off grizzly attacks than legend would seem to imply. Some of the smaller rounds like .380 and 9mm the person ended up emptying the cylinder or mag, but after 6-12 rounds the grizzly usually did not want anymore of that ashhole human.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I recently read an article where they pored through every comprehensive grizzly bear shooting on record back to like 1880, and it turned out that anything bigger than a .22 has a higher success rate at warding off grizzly attacks than legend would seem to imply. Some of the smaller rounds like .380 and 9mm the person ended up emptying the cylinder or mag, but after 6-12 rounds the grizzly usually did not want anymore of that ashhole human.
    The first accounts I read of shooting Grizzlies was in Lewis & Clarks journals as a small child so I was always ready with something appropriate .
    Do something Danke

The first accounts I read of shooting Grizzlies was in Lewis & Clarks journals as a small child so I was always ready with something appropriate .
    The story surprised the heck out of me. I thought anything less than a .44 Mag and you can just pray the grizzly gets bored lol.

While it’s true a .380 might just piss em off, apparently you piss em off 6 times in rapid succession and they tend to piss off somewhere else.

If I go walking in grizzly country I’m still going heavy though. Because all that knowing doesn’t stop the instinct from saying “grizzly need cannon.” lol

Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eat's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    This.
    For the money , if a guy was arming a militia a group of FAL's at 650 or maybe slightly less for quantity would be the way to go I imagine .
    Do something Danke

What would you get ?
    If by "big game" you mean dangerous game, then the double-rifle is the only right answer. The availability of an instant backup shot in the event you pooch the first has meant the difference between life and death more than a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I'm far from an expert but I have done some reading and I would recommend something .338 or larger, maybe .350 or larger for the Cape Buffalo, I hear they don't go down easy.
    You cannot hunt Africa smaller than .375.

Cape buffs are tough. My friend took one with a 416 Rigby. Cavity was some 7 or 9 feet long.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    If by "big game" you mean dangerous game, then the double-rifle is the only right answer. The availability of an instant backup shot in the event you pooch the first has meant the difference between life and death more than a few times.
    And hiring a guide to back you up is also a good idea.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

And hiring a guide to back you up is also a good idea.
    Danke is my only sidekick so you really do not want to miss . He is kind of ghetto and just carries a handgun .
    Do something Danke

Danke is my only sidekick so you really do not want to miss . He is kind of ghetto and just carries a handgun .
    You could always invite AF if you are too cheap to hire a guide.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

You could always invite AF if you are too cheap to hire a guide.
    That is an idea . When I was young and ghetto at least I rolled in style with an old Army .45 Schofield ( one of the original issued to Indiana militia in 1878 and '79 )and my LeMat . Of course in those days there was no permit needed and you could have just shot anyone who suggested so and left town and gotten away with it . These young men today just wander around looking for an ATM with a 9mm , a phone in some dirty sweat pants and a T . No style . Their women probably cannot make moccasins .
    Last edited by oyarde; 10-01-2019 at 07:42 PM.
    Do something Danke

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast