Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Invite a Libertarian to be My Neighbor

Lightbulb I Invite a Libertarian to be My Neighbor

We can call this the free neighborhood project. Near my house is a 7-bedroom 5-bathroom house on *18 ACRES* listed for $109,000 here:
    http://www.masiello.com/real-estate/...ne/4008029.cfm
    It looks like a beauty in great condition. 45 to 55 minutes to a large number of major job centers including Dartmouth College, Dartmouth Hospital, and Concord. 20 minutes to nearest decent grocery store (Hannafords in Bristol)

Move in and lets be neighbors! Grafton NH has the highest per-capita libertarians in the United States (by my guess) because of the Free Grafton Project. Better yet, split this with two other RPF people and you'll have 1/3 of a huge house on 18 acres for less than 40k. Alternatively if you and at least two others are super serious about renting on this forum I could try and buy this just to rent it out. Basically, if you want in I'll do everything I can to get you in because there are a lot of great deals right now around town.

Lets do this! NH has the best economy... if you can put an effort into getting a job, you'll find one. At that 109k price this may be destiny at work!
    GOING ON NOW IN THE LIBERTY MOVEMENT - WWW.FREETALKLIVE.COM

JOIN OUR LAST BEST HOPE FOR LIBERTY - WWW.FREESTATEPROJECT.ORG

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why so cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
    Why so cheap?
    Pretty cut up . Built 1800 , two bedroom farmhouse with fireplace , has an In Law apt , garage apt and a loft apt . Best I can tell . Be OK for a young single guy , Rent them out until you get it pd for .2015 taxes were about 500 a month , pretty horrible there by my standards , but probably a bargain for 18 acres out East . Where I am , same thing on 5 or 6 acres , 30 yr loan at 4 percent with taxes & ins probably run about 600 a month .
    Last edited by oyarde; 02-27-2017 at 12:22 PM.
    Do something Danke

Why so cheap?
    Mold, water, crumbling foundation, or some other would be my guess. I've seen plenty of old houses like this in shape cosmetically but poor in foundation. Sorry to be a wet blanket, op. Great idea though.
    Last edited by Iowa; 02-27-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Well , looks like it has , new roof , windows and stove.Covered Porch. You could offer less than listing price . My bet is seller takes first reasonable offer.
    Last edited by oyarde; 02-27-2017 at 03:17 PM.
    Do something Danke

That's what we call a tear-down....
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Well ,looks like has well water , septic and you could supplement some heat with wood .Those will save some money off monthly utilities.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by centure7 View Post
    We can call this the free neighborhood project. Near my house is a 7-bedroom 5-bathroom house on *18 ACRES* listed for $109,000 here:
    http://www.masiello.com/real-estate/...ne/4008029.cfm
    It looks like a beauty in great condition. 45 to 55 minutes to a large number of major job centers including Dartmouth College, Dartmouth Hospital, and Concord. 20 minutes to nearest decent grocery store (Hannafords in Bristol)

Move in and lets be neighbors! Grafton NH has the highest per-capita libertarians in the United States (by my guess) because of the Free Grafton Project. Better yet, split this with two other RPF people and you'll have 1/3 of a huge house on 18 acres for less than 40k. Alternatively if you and at least two others are super serious about renting on this forum I could try and buy this just to rent it out. Basically, if you want in I'll do everything I can to get you in because there are a lot of great deals right now around town.

Lets do this! NH has the best economy... if you can put an effort into getting a job, you'll find one. At that 109k price this may be destiny at work!
    If my kid was out of high school, I'd be calling.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    First, the single most important thing for places like this is to list the internet situation.
    Plenty of people like me out there, who can make a go of it provided there is a rock-solid, high bandwidth connection.
    Otherwise, it's a glorified hunting cabin but without the hunting.

Second, yeah 500 a month for taxes shows me that the Free Grafton Project (and the FSP in general) isn't really in high gear yet.
    I get that the point is when I get there that's two more adults in the balance and three kids that will be there soon enough.
    But at 500 a month they're going to get over $100,000 out of me before all five of us are voting.
    Considering that everyone who has dissed the house is probably right, and considering I know all too well what it takes to get a house a mere 50 years old up to specs, that 500 a month is the whole difference between having a really nice house in two years, and having half of a really nice house in 15 years.

What is NH's position on property taxes? How long do they have before they're gone?
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Oh, and guys like me also need to know how neighbors would feel about there being audible tool noises at 1 AM.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Prop tax too high and that place looks like a lot to heat. Cool idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Prop tax too high and that place looks like a lot to heat. Cool idea though.
    Very cool idea . Somebody will like the place .
    Do something Danke

In Alabama, that property would be closer to $800/yr in property tax.. just sayin
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    First, the single most important thing for places like this is to list the internet situation.
    Plenty of people like me out there, who can make a go of it provided there is a rock-solid, high bandwidth connection.
    Otherwise, it's a glorified hunting cabin but without the hunting.

Second, yeah 500 a month for taxes shows me that the Free Grafton Project (and the FSP in general) isn't really in high gear yet.
    I get that the point is when I get there that's two more adults in the balance and three kids that will be there soon enough.
    But at 500 a month they're going to get over $100,000 out of me before all five of us are voting.
    Considering that everyone who has dissed the house is probably right, and considering I know all too well what it takes to get a house a mere 50 years old up to specs, that 500 a month is the whole difference between having a really nice house in two years, and having half of a really nice house in 15 years.

What is NH's position on property taxes? How long do they have before they're gone?
    If I recall , NH has no sales tax . That does not mean they spend any less money . I have seen other places with no income tax make it up with sales tax ( Tenn. at 10%) seen places with no income tax make it up with property tax . High property tax is the worst of all . As you get old and spend less and have less income you cannot escape the high property tax but you are escaping most of the others .Any place with no sales tax or income tax will never get rid of property tax . Where I am property tax is limited to 1 percent of assessed value for primary residence , they just get the rest through sales and income .Half of all state income tax and all of property tax collected is used to fund the states free public education where I live , so those taxes will never be cut without cuts to education ( which i support ) . In my state the state spends twice as much per kid per yr ( 10k) as the avg private school ( 5k) . By privatizing education they could eliminate the property tax and cut the income tax in half .
    Last edited by oyarde; 02-27-2017 at 04:48 PM.
    Do something Danke

I am giving this 5 stars since centure7 was sharp enough to advertise for a good neighbor .
    Last edited by oyarde; 02-27-2017 at 10:17 PM.
    Do something Danke

Why so cheap?
    $6K+/annum property tax.

NFW.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm not trying justify property taxes but consider what's left in your present pocket book if after the end of the year you got back all of your and your spouse's state income and sales taxes (which you wouldn't be paying in NH). Add that to your current property tax and then compare it to any NH town's property tax rate and decide whether you'd be ahead or not. I'd advise folks to plan a vacation up in NH and then see for themselves what life is like up there and take a look around.

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    I'm not trying justify property taxes but consider what's left in your present pocket book if after the end of the year you got back all of your and your spouse's state income and sales taxes (which you wouldn't be paying in NH). Add that to your current property tax and then compare it to any NH town's property tax rate and decide whether you'd be ahead or not. I'd advise folks to plan a vacation up in NH and then see for themselves what life is like up there and take a look around.
    That is right , everyone would need to do the math for themselves .It would never come close for me .
    Do something Danke

Why so cheap?
    Taxes and the stripper pole in front of the kitchen sink might have something to do with it. o_O

The stove looks like it's in time out over there in the corner, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Taxes and the stripper pole in front of the kitchen sink might have something to do with it. o_O

The stove looks like it's in time out over there in the corner, lol.
    Would have been perfect for me when I was 19 or so .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Me, too.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

That's a load bearing stripper pole.

Seriously, property taxes vary wildly from town to town in NH.

My home and land is almost three times the assessed value of this home, and I pay half that in taxes.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

My home and land is almost three times the assessed value of this home, and I pay half that in taxes.
    Yep and any place without sales tax or income tax will be just like that , varying wildly from each township . Ea town will decide how much revenue they wish to generate and set rates accordingly .
    Do something Danke

For thick girls or guys?

Same here.

The taxes on my house in Atlanta would be ridiculous. My parents taxes were 3x's mine (and that was after the school taxes were taken off) and their house was smaller and on less property.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Almost certainly, which means there is something gravely amiss in the structure. In that case the property is worth perhaps $10K, unless it is good tillable ground, in which case I would give maybe as high as $25K. Not a shekel more.

I just picked up a neighbor's house on 2+ acres for $5K. It's on creek bottom, so prone to flood, but for that money and about $60.00 per year in tax, I can live with that.

The house is in need of structural work and I began removing floors and partitions just before Bibi had surgery. I think about $10K and all my free labor will bring the edifice into good livable trim.

There are plenty of other such houses available here in the wake of the 1000-year flood. People are shy to return. Don't blame them a bit.

So if any of you are looking for very cheap houses and are not afraid to assume the risk of another 1000-year flood in your lifetime, Elkview WV might be the ticket.

You should be able to get a place for the nominal land value, and that should not be more than $2K/acre at the extreme. I got my other neighbor's place for $330/acre last year, bring us back to about 30 in total.

That's still WAY too much for my tastes. I paid $2K on my home in Freehold NJ back when I was yanking down $400K-$500K/annum and even that chapped my ass.

We pay about $300.00 on our 30 +/- acres, which I can live with. Cross into Kanawha county and it would be 10x that, less than a mile away.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Wow.

For some reason I thought home prices in NH were high. I've never really looked though.

I'd move there if I could get a job in my field.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Wow.

For some reason I thought home prices in NH were high. I've never really looked though.

I'd move there if I could get a job in my field.
    I cannot imagine there are jobs there .
    Do something Danke

I cannot imagine there are jobs there .
    Tax collectors and load bearing strippers.

Dude....splinters. Nuff said.

Good thread start.. so if anyone else has vacant/ for sale properties they'd like to see more libertarian folk settle in - throw em on up here. (especially ones where that white stuff doesn't fall out of the sky half the year)
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast