Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What's going on in your shop?

The abnormally warm weather for the last couple weeks reminded me that I was facing another summer without sandals.
    The only sandals I think I would enjoy wearing would be Birkenstocks, but they are over a hundred bucks.
    So I studied, ran into Roman caligae, and found a couple historical examples that were low-cut like this.
    Still need to wait for the left to dry, do a bit of gluing on the heel, and apply paste wax to protect & darken, but they're basically done.

There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Warmed up, so back to the saw. You can't see that it has a new plywood base with a cabinet inside... I've been wiring it up so that a vac and dust collector can live inside.

Got an Arduino connected to a hall effect sensor, and finally got it to start reading input. Four magnets on the plywood disc on back end of motor... I'm not holding the sensor to the disc as it's still only breadboarded and I only have two hands, but when I do, I hit 3600rpm. I was shooting for 3450.

Next step is to test the MOSFET getup and see if I can actually control speed with the PWM signal instead of relying on this ghetto rewound microwave transformer (which is driving it too fast anyway).

What a world we live in. I haven't taken a single electronics course - I'm picking all this up online. It'll be a shame when the state gets what it wants and shuts this all down.

And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Warmed up, so back to the saw.
    What kind of 'saw' do you need a 'puter for?

Obviously not a self loading panel saw..........

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    What kind of 'saw' do you need a 'puter for?

Obviously not a self loading panel saw..........
    The kind that I put a DC motor on. I'm building my own motor control with feedback, so I can up the voltage when it bogs down.

A lot of people scrap treadmills for the motors, but either the built-in controller doesn't work, or has too many moving parts, or has a soft-start, where you have to start the controller at 0rpm and juice it up gradually with a potentiometer. The one working controller I got is like that - if you feed it power while the potentiometer is turned up, then it won't do anything until you turn it back down and then back up again. I think it's some kind of safety measure, considering the original application is a treadmill.

The laptop was just for me to get feedback from the microcontroller I'm programming to run the motor. Eventually I'll have a dedicated LCD screen for the front. Arduino boards are like $4 and outputting a pulse width modulation signal on them is trivial. But it still kills me that I'm plugging in a microcontroller that is 20 times more powerful than my first desktop computer... to run a motor.

The kind that I put a DC motor on. I'm building my own motor control with feedback, so I can up the voltage when it bogs down.

A lot of people scrap treadmills for the motors, but either the built-in controller doesn't work, or has too many moving parts, or has a soft-start, where you have to start the controller at 0rpm and juice it up gradually with a potentiometer. The one working controller I got is like that - if you feed it power while the potentiometer is turned up, then it won't do anything until you turn it back down and then back up again. I think it's some kind of safety measure, considering the original application is a treadmill.

The laptop was just for me to get feedback from the microcontroller I'm programming to run the motor. Eventually I'll have a dedicated LCD screen for the front. Arduino boards are like $4 and outputting a pulse width modulation signal on them is trivial. But it still kills me that I'm plugging in a microcontroller that is 20 times more powerful than my first desktop computer... to run a motor.
    That's a great idea, fisharmor. I also like using arduino-type boards and that's a great application. Way to figure all that out. Maybe I'll have to keep my eyes open for tossed treadmills and then hit you up for your code!

Taking a break from the DC motors...
    Got a hold of a 3hp 240vac motor off of CL, but I need to get at the cap & switch to reverse it, and found out the bearings were complete $#@!. @Anti Federalist Thought you would get a kick out of my latest cost-cutting measure.
    Although for this I do kind of wish I had just spent the $20. I had to build some parts of this twice before they were good enough.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This thing has been kicking my ass for WEEKS. But it's finally done, installed, and working. The lights toggle with the pushbuttons, and automatically turn off after 15 minutes. The electronics that control that are only 20 times faster than my first computer.

Things I learned:
    -Mahogany stinks when you cut it.
    -If you want parts to build a lamp, try a lamp parts website.
    -Micro USB connectors are pretty damned delicate.
    -You don't need a soldering station with temp control if you have a cheap iron and a router speed control.
    -Using motor winding wire for a board trace is a really bad idea.

Mr Animal made me this to hang towels on when people come in from the pool. I don't like the stain he used so he said he would make me another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Here are a few of my latest knives I've done in the last few weeks.

Above is a Thai Enep design

Above is a Cutlas-Bowie design

Above is a Damascus Fighter.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Had to remove a cast iron tub to install walk-in shower, soooooo...

425lb tub vs 13hp Kubota...

challenges along the way...

conference...

eventual success...

Now that's some durn good tractorin'.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

currenty redoing my shop it was a messs and I'm setting up to build some furniture. Truck about to undergo some welding for a wooden bed, need to swap the headers to the new long tubes I got. Toyota car up for new pistons, luckily the Infiniti 4wd is in a period of good function with everything done needs bigger tires after the lift, looking at the BFG AT KO2. Bikes everywhere in various states of assembly, got a scooter I'm hopping up for a friend, will let you guys know if it's possible for these new 4-stroke slow machines to do 45. Looking for a 12 v Cummins
    Last edited by afwjam; 05-24-2017 at 02:31 PM.

I just bought 5 3rd generation Toyota 4runners. One will never see the road. Tuning up 2 of them, swapping body parts on one and an engine on another.

I needed to replace a button.
    I've asked friends to collect bigger stuff for me... 40, 10, 44, etc. 223 is a bit small.
    I wanna see if Etsy fools will buy these.

I just finished my new propane forge.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I just bought 5 3rd generation Toyota 4runners. One will never see the road. Tuning up 2 of them, swapping body parts on one and an engine on another.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Just started on this one. It needs motor swapped out.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Cleaned the grime out of the engine bay. Going to put phosphoric acid on the rust then paint the undercarriage and engine bay.

Dang it, I can't see your pic. I was gonna let ya know if I would buy something like that.

I needed to replace a button.
    I've asked friends to collect bigger stuff for me... 40, 10, 44, etc. 223 is a bit small.
    I wanna see if Etsy fools will buy these.

The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    I just finished my new propane forge.
    Let's see the burner!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][URL=http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/wdr61/media/DSC_0170_zpsobivmidr.jpg.html]
    Last edited by Schifference; 06-23-2017 at 03:31 PM.

Approached by a new client today, 3 story spiral staircase, no center pole...

Meet with builder/structural engineer and client next week...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Approached by a new client today, 3 story spiral staircase, no center pole...

Meet with builder/structural engineer and client next week...
    That's going to be cool.

Did you see where some people are suing Home Depot and Menards over the 4 x 4's? I'm not a wood expert and I knew they weren't exactly 4 x 4.

Home Depot, Menards Customers Cry False Advertising When They Learn “4x4s” Aren’t Actually 4×4

Talk to any contractor or carpenter — or most people who are reasonably familiar with home construction and repair — and they’ll tell you that a “4×4” piece of lumber is not actually four inches by four inches, and that it hasn’t been that way in any of our lifetimes. Yet some Home Depot and Menards customers are — literally — making a federal case out of this discrepancy, accusing the retailers of false advertising.

In two separate federal class-action lawsuits filed by the same attorney, shoppers accuse these two chains of selling “lumber products that were falsely advertised and labeled as having product dimensions that were not the actual dimensions of the products sold.”

The plaintiffs in the Menards complaint [PDF] are two customers who each purchased lumber at Menards stores in Illinois. One man purchased some “1×6” cedar planking and a piece of “4×4″ Douglas fir lumber, only to eventually find that these products’ real dimensions were .66″ x 5.25″ and 3.5″ x 3.5”, respectively. The second plaintiff claims to have been similarly “deceived and/or misled” about the true dimensions of a 4×4 post.

Those pesky 4x4s are also at the center of the Home Depot lawsuit [PDF], whose lead plaintiff says he relied on Home Depot’s advertising when purchasing this lumber.

While both lawsuits claim that the plaintiffs have been damaged by this alleged deception, neither complaint specifies what that damage may have been, other than getting slightly less wood than they expected. For instance, there is no mention of the plaintiffs being unable to finish a home renovation or of the purchased lumber being inadequate or of lower quality.

The lawsuits even acknowledge that lumber industry standards dictate that a nominal lumber dimensions are — and have been for nearly a century — slightly larger than the actual dimensions.

The plaintiffs do point out inconsistencies in the way the retailers advertise and market lumber. The Home Depot complaint notes that the retailer’s website includes actual, correct dimensions on some products, but not on others. Additionally, the lawsuits contend that retailers sell some “rough” cut wood products that are the full advertised dimensions.

In a memo in support of its motion to dismiss [PDF], the retailer argues that the plaintiffs “received exactly what they were supposed to receive – lumber that complies with applicable standards – and thus have not suffered an injury-in-fact.”

Interestingly, while Menards uses the Commerce Department’s National Institute of Standards and Technology minimum standards for dimensional lumber, going so far as to include the entire NIST 306-page handbook as an exhibit in the case, the retailer doesn’t mention where that NIST says it’s okay to just use nominal dimensions “if the… actual dimensions are prominently displayed to the customer, and the term ‘nominal’ or ‘nom’ is used in conjunction with any representation of nominal dimensions.”

At the same time, NIST’s Lumber Standard also states that “No inferences shall be drawn that the ‘nominal” sizes are dressed sizes.” So it’s not immediately clear if there is any legal obligation for hardware stores to communicate the actual size of lumber.

https://consumerist.com/2017/06/22/h...-actually-4x4/

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    That's going to be cool.

Did you see where some people are suing Home Depot and Menards over the 4 x 4's? I'm not a wood expert and I knew they weren't exactly 4 x 4.

https://consumerist.com/2017/06/22/h...-actually-4x4/
    After all the governments lawyers are rotting in hell might as well start in on the rest of 'em.....

I finally scrounged up a small tool box for my 3/4 drive set .
    Do something Danke

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sorted all my ignition wrenches into sets .
    Do something Danke

I'm going on day 4 of planing the top of this thing. I'm on the fence as to whether I'm just going to get a scaffold jack to make the leg vise for the face, or figure out how to cut my own 2tpi threads on 2" wood stock.

For those of you who were following earlier in the thread, that DC motor died. I think it got above curie temp because it won't start.
    Treadmill motor ratings appear to be complete bull$#@!. That motor was rated over 2hp, with 2.75hp peak. It burned itself up after the very first rip cut for that bench.
    I ate some crow, went out to HF with my 20% coupon, and had the 3hp induction motor installed in about 30 minutes, and with a cheapo 24 tooth rip blade it goes through 2x lumber like butter.
    I did a double-take yesterday when cutting a small piece of 2x for the vise face - thought "why is this bogging down on the rip?" until I realized I left the 80 tooth in the saw.

The moral of the story is, yeah, just spend the money on the motor every table saw company ever has already figured out is the motor that works in it.

At some point I might still pull out the ferro magnets from that DC motor and replace them with rare earth magnets to see what I can juice out of it, but not today.

Finished this one today, a hunter/fighter EDC...

On Trump:

Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    Finished this one today, a hunter/fighter EDC...

You do outstanding work.

Working out logistics to move a 16' x 24' building to become a shop. Winter project.

I really like this Tear-Drop Damascus build I just finished. The billet is made from 1095 steel and 15n20 nickel, it's a beautiful pattern and best of all..it will cut!!

On Trump:

I was just watching videos of a guy making pattern welded steel from drill shavings.

Check it out, tho, Cap - I actually got to do some smithing last weekend.

My buddy up behind enemy lines in Maryland got his air hammer mostly working, which made the flats a piece of cake. But there was still a whole lot of upsetting to do.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast