Thread: Cutting boards, most sanitary

Cutting boards, most sanitary

Of those suitable to use your good knives on end-grain hardwood is the most sanitary...

Glass and marble are better if germs are more important than the edges of your knives....

Just in case you're one of the countless thousands who still think plastic is good for food prep.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Before I first use a wood cutting board, I 4X coat with 50/50 tung oil / citrus solvent from realmilkpaint.com and let dry for a week or two.

Then after each time I wash the board I apply 3 drops of oil of oregano; which has anti bacterial, fungus, and viral properties. I apply when still wet after washing and just rub in with my hands.

I use plastic boards when I'm butchering game in the field.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-21-2016 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Before I first use a wood cutting board, I 4X coat with 50/50 tung oil / citrus solvent from realmilkpaint.com and let dry for a week or two.

Then after each time I wash the board I apply 3 drops of oil of oregano; which has anti bacterial, fungus, and viral properties. I apply when still wet after washing and just rub in with my hands.

I use plastic boards when I'm butchering game in the field.
    Soap and water are all that's necessary to clean an end-grain board, mineral oil to condition it when it looks dry....

Edge-grain boards might benefit from oils and such, I don't know, I don't use them..

There's a study done by a college floating around the net that substantiates what butchers have known for centuries, the superiority of end-grain hardwood....

Coconut oil is great to use after you clean your wood cutting board with hot soapy water. Coconut oil has antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

i use diluted bleach water in a spray bottle, and after i wash the board, i wipe dry, then spray the bleach water. Let it air dry.

I just eat my food whole.....animal style!
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

end grain butcher block.. best thing ever - would love a whole kitchen counter from it
    you know.. when I win the lottery that I don't play
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've used the same walnut/maple board for decades. Good on my wusthof cutlery, and no bacterial problems that I can see. I also oil it with food grade mineral oil. Its now pretty sentimental because my buddy who made it has passed on - I still see his signature on it every time I use it.

Panic stricken folks should be more concerned about their drain baskets or their month old sponge, IMO. Another thing I noticed is that some people will use the same utensils they were using on the raw food, with the cooked food.

Reminds me... We had a glass cutting board purchased by my wife when we first got married. I'd always catch my inlaw using it with my wusthof knives, which my wife was always too scared to use. I tried to educate the inlaw, as politely as I could, dozens of times - not a chance. The good news - it was a simple 2 step process that I used to finally fix the glass cutting board problem:

1) place the board in a large trash can
    2) use blunt object to shatter board.

Wife asked where the glass cutting board was and I told her it had got broken and to use the wood one. ...never looked back. Problem solved.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

I have two nice wood ones , if Mrs O is not looking I do it on the stainless edge of the sink or on a pc of corrugated box so I do not have to look for where she put them. If I am by myself and swilling beer , just the top of the grill , or just stick it on a pitch fork whole and lean it over the fire pit .

Plastic. It gets thrown in the dishwasher with everything else.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I use end-grain cutting boards for vegetables, beef but I use plastic for pork, chicken, fish and other meats that have contamination issues. I have a separate board for beef that I don't cut raw vegetables on... I'd use wooden cutting boards for the other meats as well but I really like the convenience of being able to just put my dirty cutting board in the dishwasher. About the only thing I like a dishwasher for.

I have some wood laying around to make some cutting boards.. Oak, Walnut, Maple... But the ones I have are very long lasting, I've had them over a decade. The plastic ones I use for meat/fish are hard plastic ones that don't easily shed fibers but I replace them twice a year or so... They only cost 1,50euro each so yeah.... Wooden cutting boards cost several hours.
    "I am a bird"

My Grandmothers heavy as hell end grain cutting board. Even with minimal care they last forever and no one has died after eating food chopped on it - which is everything because it's too big to store so I just leave it on the counter. I wash it with soap and water, let it air dry and oil it every once in awhile.

I buy crappy plastic ones to take camping and throw them away when I'm done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Of those suitable to use your good knives on end-grain hardwood is the most sanitary...

Glass and marble are better if germs are more important than the edges of your knives....

Just in case you're one of the countless thousands who still think plastic is good for food prep.
    Why end grain?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    Why end grain?
    It's self healing.

Picture wood as a bundle of straws, lie them down and cut across them and you'll leave a scar, but stand them up and cut them and they close right back up...

It's self healing.

Picture wood as a bundle of straws, lie them down and cut across them and you'll leave a scar, but stand them up and cut them and they close right back up...
    Cool, I've never seen or heard of one before. I think I will make one, maybe there is a market for them in my neck of the woods.
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

Peace.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cool, I've never seen or heard of one before. I think I will make one, maybe there is a market for them in my neck of the woods.

I've got this stuff for cutting boards. Supposedly safe to use for cutting boards according to the FDA.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post

I've got this stuff for cutting boards. Supposedly safe to use for cutting boards according to the FDA.
    Titebond 3 is all i use.

Peace.

Titebond 3 is all i use.
    Yet you never heard of an end grain cutting board ? That's kinda odd I must say.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Yet you never heard of an end grain cutting board ? That's kinda odd I must say.
    I don't see how that is odd.
    I use it on my wood working projects, that are hardwood and natural look finish. I've made Cherry and oak cabinetry, end tables, gun cabinet, some turnings, probably some other things I can't think of this very moment, but I never had a need to make a cutting board.

Peace.

If you have a friend with a wide belt sander it'll save you lots of labor...

If you have a friend with a wide belt sander it'll save you lots of labor...
    Been thinking about making one of these. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KGK1OwYYFf8 Sorry i can't post a tube from this tablet.

Peace.

Been thinking about making one of these. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KGK1OwYYFf8 Sorry i can't post a tube from this tablet.
    You'd be money ahead to just buy an old locomotive style portercable for light sanding and throw a shop a few bucks to sand tough stuff like end grain...

I tried the USA made drum sander route before I coughed up the dough for a wide belt and I wasn't happy with it...5 hp won't effectively sand end grain....

What I need is a Sterling cutting board , I will start collecting scrap for it , maybe Danke will have it made for me as a gift .

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You'd be money ahead to just buy an old locomotive style portercable for light sanding and throw a shop a few bucks to sand tough stuff like end grain...

I tried the USA made drum sander route before I coughed up the dough for a wide belt and I wasn't happy with it...5 hp won't effectively sand end grain....
    I have a cheap hand held belt sander. I love the look of those porter cables though.

Peace.

I have a cheap hand held belt sander. I love the look of those porter cables though.
    If you ever use one you'll never use any other....