Thread: California DMV to Allow Self-driving Tests Without Stand-by Drivers

Exclamation California DMV to Allow Self-driving Tests Without Stand-by Drivers

Any other new technology or new project is subject to millions of miles of red tape, obstructions, lawsuits and bureaucratic meddling.

Especially in Kalifornia.

Except this...the driverless car thing has been "fast tracked".

Why?

California DMV to Allow Self-driving Tests Without Stand-by Drivers

http://www.breitbart.com/california/...nd-by-drivers/

by Chriss W. Street 12 Mar 2017

The California Department of Motor Vehicles just gave notice that it is moving to allow commercial operation of self-driving test vehicles that operate without stand-by drivers at the wheel.

Senate Bill 1298, which passed in 2012, authorized the California DMV to begin adopting the regulatory authority to approve the operation of autonomous (better known as self-driving) vehicles on California roads.

The DMV issued preliminary regulations in 2014, and is currently allowing 28 manufactures to test self-driving cars on public roads and thoroughfares, as long as there is a stand-by driver behind the wheel to respond to any emergency that might arise.

The March 10 move by the DMV represents an acceleration of the time-to-market for the auto manufacturers and Silicon Valley entrepreneurs that hope to dominate the autonomous vehicle market in California, where there are 25.9 million licensed drivers and 34.3 million legally operating vehicles. The DMV release states that “autonomous technology has proceeded to the point where manufacturers have developed systems that are capable of operating without the presence of a driver inside the vehicle.”

According to Boston Consulting Group (BCG), the annual worldwide market for partially and fully-autonomous vehicles will be 12 million units, at a value of $42 billion, by 2025. By 2035, sales are expected to top 18 million vehicles at a value of $77 billion.

BCG suggests that the first generation of commercially operated autonomous vehicles will be robo-taxis that provide first-and-last-mile connectivity to main public-transportation nodes in cities such as Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris and Shanghai. These vehicles will charge small fees and will likely be owned and operated by mobility providers such as taxi service operators, ride-sharing services and new technology sector entrants.
    Autoplay: On | Off

But as the service becomes more widely accepted, motor vehicle original equipment manufacturers (OEM) will begin renting directly to commuters by the minute or the mile for door-to-door transportation services that will allow passengers to work or be entertained during the trip.

BCG estimates that in New York, for example, the cost of conveying one passenger one mile by robo-taxi would be 35 percent less than conventional taxi or Uber ride.

Robo-taxis will become hyper-competitive by offering separate, private compartments for passengers going in the same direction. BCG calculates that commuter train services seem doomed, because robo-taxis at a shared occupancy of 2 passengers will be cheaper than the full cost of carrying passengers on government subsidized public transit.

Robo-taxi automation technology that includes vehicle-to-vehicle communication and route optimization will dramatically increase vehicle flows on public roads. Depending on annual driving mileage and car occupancy, all but very rural commuters could find robo-taxis more economical than owning and operating a private vehicle.

The BCG predicts that adoption of robo-taxis will result in a marked reduction in the total number of cars on the road within cities, ease traffic congestion, and improve urban land use as parking infrastructure is repurposed for more lucrative activity.

The announcement by the California DMV that it is amending the self-driving regulatory structure to allow full autonomous testing without a standby driver initiates a 120 comment period for interested parties to provide input or contest the move.

Most of the opposition to self-driving vehicle testing has come from cities that are furious about Uber undermining the huge medallion revenue they once collected to approve the number of taxis. But the future looks challenging for Uber, because the players that will dominate robo-taxis are giant multi-national companies that want to own and operate massive pools of autonomous vehicles.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No doubt this is being fast tracked. Do they even have liability legislation in place?

The basic argument goes something like this: nobody will own their own vehicle anymore, everyone* will use robo-taxis, and all of those empty garages can be turned into housing for immigrants and the homeless.

*everyone except high ranking party members and the ultra wealthy.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I would like to thank our roads, for making this possible.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Did nobody in California see T3 Rise of the machines?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I would like to thank our roads, for making this possible.
    Of course you mean muh roads. So, you're welcome.

The insurance should be unaffordable . These will be stolen and pirated regularly .
    Do something Danke

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is a move toward the rental society and not the ownership society. Also it will cut down on pollution and traffic and urban sprawl.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

That was just damn funny!
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    This is a move toward the rental society and not the ownership society. Also it will cut down on pollution and traffic and urban sprawl.
    I hope it doesn't cut down on traffic tickets. I wouldn't want our great Police Departments to be short on revenue.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I hope it doesn't cut down on traffic tickets. I wouldn't want our great Police Departments to be short on revenue.
    Everyone has a right to driverless transportation. Tickets and gas taxes will become a thing of the past. There will just be a general transportation tax on rich people to pay for it. Everyone deserves quality driverless transportation, and it should be free.

Everyone has a right to driverless transportation. Tickets and gas taxes will become a thing of the past. There will just be a general transportation tax on rich people to pay for it. Everyone deserves quality driverless transportation, and it should be free.
    Good point, quality driverless transportation is a basic human right
    - Kim Kardashian

Only it will be Big Brother overriding your destination to Rendition site #666

Man this is great news. Kill off ten or fifteen million wrong-coast flakes with failing automatons on the state's freeways.

How deviously and demonically brilliant. But will they have the intestinal fortitude to see it through to completion?

NAAAAAAAAHHHHH...
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Even if you "opt out", all these self driving systems rely on cameras as part of the sensor suite, so you will be under total surveillance.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Self flying Taxis?

Maybe this should be in a separate thread.... but this summer Dubai is going to have self flying taxis?

I have to wonder how that's going to work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Maybe this should be in a separate thread.... but this summer Dubai is going to have self flying taxis?

I have to wonder how that's going to work out.
    So they won't have to lock you in a shipping container to get you to Rendition site #666.