View Poll Results: Agree or Not

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree

0 0%
  • Disagree

10 100.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why don't we use the military to build and repair roads etc. like the Romans?

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    And Rt 222 was one of them.
    What federal roads existed before then?
    Are you saying soldiers should work on state projects?
    How then do they decide which state?
    What precedent do you have for federal workers working on state public works projects?
    Sure, they have thrown money at plenty - but actually doing the work?
    Section 8 - Powers of Congress
    To establish Post Offices and Post Roads;
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Good Neighbors are not guaranteed by life.
    Government aggression is guaranteed.

Liberty is always the answer, because the nature of man is guaranteed.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post
    Government aggression is guaranteed.

Liberty is always the answer, because the nature of man is guaranteed.
    Governments job (when it is properly run) is to preserve the rights of men and minimize aggression.
    Since you are an Anarchist then I will no longer debate you, you have given your opinion but this thread assumes the existence of a LIMITED government.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It was a compromise so it could be disbanded if we decided to, I happen to believe that we need a standing army in addition to the militia.
    Why? To defend ourselves from Canada? A standing Navy is called for by the Constitution.

ISection 8 - Powers of Congress
    To establish Post Offices and Post Roads;
    The mail travels by air these days.
    We believe our lying eyes...

It was a compromise so it could be disbanded if we decided to, I happen to believe that we need a standing army in addition to the militia.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Why? To defend ourselves from Canada? A standing Navy is called for by the Constitution.
    Or Mexico or an invasion from the Old World that gets by the Navy.

Only part of the way, I have a relative who works in the Post Office and they use trucks a lot.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Yes he was one of those who opposed it, I disagree with him.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Also then we need Postal Airports as the modern equivalent.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Governments job (when it is properly run) is to preserve the rights of men and minimize aggression.
    Since you are an Anarchist then I will no longer debate you, you have given your opinion but this thread assumes the existence of a LIMITED government.
    I thought the thread was about how to have decent roads in a sinful world inhabited by sinful men. Who is government made up of? Sinful men.

Meh, I'm a Christian first. The anarcho-capitalism is just the most logical way for a Christian to practice faith in God, rather than practicing fear of man. Anarcho-capitalism does not ignore man's nature.

You're not debating me, friend, you are debating your own fears. It's all cool. I've been there, done that.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Or Mexico or an invasion from the Old World that gets by the Navy.
    The case could be made that the Navy would buy enough time for the militias to be called up.

Only part of the way, I have a relative who works in the Post Office and they use trucks a lot.
    The USPS certainly serves more than airports, yes. But roads, streets, and even highways exist, and will be maintained by states for many purposes. Snail mail wasn't used as an excuse to usurp state sovereignty back when it was vital to the nation and alternatives were few and limited. Why start now?

Also then we need Postal Airports as the modern equivalent.
    And the fedgov doesn't have and maintain any of those?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 08-17-2017 at 02:13 PM.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The case could be made that the Navy would buy enough time for the militias to be called up.
    It is a question of professional training and readiness, the Militia has it's place but you need Regulars as the backbone of your forces and to train the militia.

The USPS certainly serves more than airports, yes. But roads, streets, and even highways exist, and will be maintained by states for many purposes. Snail mail wasn't used as an excuse to usurp state sovereignty back when it was vital to the nation and alternatives were few and limited. Why start now?
    Most of them could be done by the States but the constitution provides for the Interstates (Post Roads) and we have them, also this thread is about ALL kinds of government infrastructure.
    And before the civil war the states had their own armed forces, we could bring that back to minimize the Federal Army, then those state forces could build and maintain state infrastructure in times of peace.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It is a question of professional training and readiness, the Militia has it's place but you need Regulars as the backbone of your forces and to train the militia.
    I actually agree with you. In addition, defense in this day and age requires having quite a lot of very specialized equipment on hand, which must be maintained.

And I'd rather the standing army only be large enough to do these things. I don't care for the idea of maintaining a bunch of extra grunts to play roadworker.

Most of them could be done by the States but the constitution provides for the Interstates (Post Roads) and we have them, also this thread is about ALL kinds of government infrastructure.
    And before the civil war the states had their own armed forces, we could bring that back to minimize the Federal Army, then those state forces could build and maintain state infrastructure in times of peace.
    Here I will never agree with you. We have a fine highway system in place. We have through routes which connect at state lines all over the continental U.S. Federal involvement has been growing, and so has federal tyranny. This is no coincidence. The federal government has used withholding of federal highway funds to force the states to enact all sorts of goofy tyranny, from changing drinking ages to operating drunk driving checkpoints to things completely unrelated to motor vehicles. I'm ready to repeal the federal motor fuels tax and be done with the whole thing.

And state militiamen being roadworkers is fine--they're militiamen, and by definition, they have day jobs. I don't care what those day jobs are. But I see no reason for state militias to take over road maintenance. They should be able to attract militiamen with a wider variety of interests and civilian skillsets than that.

I actually agree with you. In addition, defense in this day and age requires having quite a lot of very specialized equipment on hand, which must be maintained.

And I'd rather the standing army only be large enough to do these things. I don't care for the idea of maintaining a bunch of extra grunts to play roadworker.
    Maintaining their equipment doesn't take that much time, they could do infrastructure work inbetween.

Here I will never agree with you. We have a fine highway system in place. We have through routes which connect at state lines all over the continental U.S. Federal involvement has been growing, and so has federal tyranny. This is no coincidence. The federal government has used withholding of federal highway funds to force the states to enact all sorts of goofy tyranny, from changing drinking ages to operating drunk driving checkpoints to things completely unrelated to motor vehicles. I'm ready to repeal the federal motor fuels tax and be done with the whole thing.
    The states shouldn't get or rely on federal money, nowhere in the constitution is there permission to give money to a state, the federal Post roads would be built and maintained by the Army.

And state militiamen being roadworkers is fine--they're militiamen, and by definition, they have day jobs. I don't care what those day jobs are. But I see no reason for state militias to take over road maintenance. They should be able to attract militiamen with a wider variety of interests and civilian skillsets than that.
    I don't want the Militia used for non-military work, I meant state Regulars.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Maintaining their equipment doesn't take that much time, they could do infrastructure work inbetween.
    Pffft. If you have enough materiél for ten battalions of cavalry, and only one battalion of cavalry, you'll be lucky if they can keep everything running working at it 365 days a year.

The states shouldn't get or rely on federal money, nowhere in the constitution is there permission to give money to a state, the federal Post roads would be built and maintained by the Army.
    You just really, really want to build a whole nationwide highway system completely duplicating the existing system owned and run by the states, just so the USPS can fly mail over them on jetliners, don't you?

I don't want the Militia used for non-military work, I meant state Regulars.
    I don't want my state maintaining Regulars.

Pffft. If you have enough materiél for ten battalions of cavalry, and only one battalion of cavalry, you'll be lucky if they can keep everything running working at it 365 days a year.
    Why would you have such an imbalance?

You just really, really want to build a whole nationwide highway system completely duplicating the existing system owned and run by the states, just so the USPS can fly mail over them on jetliners, don't you?
    Lots of mail goes by road and remember we are talking about other kinds of infrastructure as well, like Post airports.

I don't want my state maintaining Regulars.
    Why? You would need less Federal Regulars and the states would be better able to resist Federal intimidation or to secede.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Army Corps of Engineers was civilianized long ago and they may build some Damns but they don't build and maintain most of our freeways, bridges, roads, airports etc.
    ...and do a $#@!ty and inefficient job of it.

.....and full of graft, chronyism and corruption.

Why would you have such an imbalance?
    So when you call up the militia, you can issue them something other than sticks and rocks?

Lots of mail goes by road and remember we are talking about other kinds of infrastructure as well, like Post airports.
    So the USPS is having trouble using the existing roads and airports right now? Gee, I thought they had gotten along fine using the same roads and airports as everyone else for a century or more. Why are you seriously pursuing this Special Dedicated Post Road line of inquiry? You have to know the USPS figures they're losing enough money now, without trying to duplicate the entire national highway infrastructure. You seriously aren't serious, dude.

Why? You would need less Federal Regulars and the states would be better able to resist Federal intimidation or to secede.
    Because the constitutional Common Defense is better coordinated by a single command structure.

Man, if you can't ask a question that doesn't have an obvious answer, I'm not playing any more.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    ...and do a $#@!ty and inefficient job of it.

.....and full of graft, chronyism and corruption.
    That describes everything our governments do, we need to reform our entire government at every level, but that doesn't mean my idea isn't the way we should go.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That describes everything our governments do, we need to reform our entire government at every level, but that doesn't mean my idea isn't the way we should go.
    You are trying to expand the scope and responsibilities of the only branch of government so corrupt that it pays six hundred dollars each for hammers.

So when you call up the militia, you can issue them something other than sticks and rocks?
    The Militia should control and maintain it's own equipment.

So the USPS is having trouble using the existing roads and airports right now? Gee, I thought they had gotten along fine using the same roads and airports as everyone else for a century or more. Why are you seriously pursuing this Special Dedicated Post Road line of inquiry? You have to know the USPS figures they're losing enough money now, without trying to duplicate the entire national highway infrastructure. You seriously aren't serious, dude.
    You misunderstand, the current interstate system is the Post roads, the army would be responsible for their maintenance, the same thing with airports or airbases.

Because the constitutional Common Defense is better coordinated by a single command structure.
    In time of war they would be Federalized like the National Guard is, in fact they would be a modified form of the National Guard, the Militia would be revived as it's own independent entity.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You are trying to expand the scope and responsibilities of the only branch of government so corrupt that it pays six hundred dollars each for hammers.
    Any branch of government could be that corrupt, corruption is a separate issue.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I peece on your peacetime.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

"We", as in 'We the People' don't get to use the military.

What a silly notion...

The Militia should control and maintain it's own equipment.
    You're trying to convince me the states of the nation that already spends as much on war as all the other nations of the earth combined should also spend money on armaments.

No.

You misunderstand, the current interstate system is the Post roads, the army would be responsible for their maintenance, the same thing with airports or airbases.
    You're trying to talk me into taking responsibility for yet more things away from the Several States and turn it over to an already overblown federal government.

No.

In time of war they would be Federalized like the National Guard is, in fact they would be a modified form of the National Guard, the Militia would be revived as it's own independent entity.
    You're trying to convince me to make up for the fact that the federal government overreached itself in taking too much control of the militias/national guards by making states create unneeded and unnecessary duplicates.

No.

Any branch of government could be that corrupt, corruption is a separate issue.
    You're arguing that corruption is corruption, and we should close down divisions that is less corrupt and reward divisions that are orders of magnitude more corrupt by expanding them.

No.

Just no.

A thousand times no.

You're trying to convince me the states of the nation that already spends as much on war as all the other nations of the earth combined should also spend money on armaments.

No.
    The Feds would be spending less on a smaller Federal Force

You're trying to talk me into taking responsibility for yet more things away from the Several States and turn it over to an already overblown federal government.

No.
    I want the Feds to stop redistributing money to the states and reduce their taxes to only cover the Interstate system, the states would keep more money and be responsible only to their people for their roads and police.

You're trying to convince me to make up for the fact that the federal government overreached itself in taking too much control of the militias/national guards by making states create unneeded and unnecessary duplicates.

No.
    Not duplicates, replacements, the Feds would require a much smaller army.

You're arguing that corruption is corruption, and we should close down divisions that is less corrupt and reward divisions that are orders of magnitude more corrupt by expanding them.

No.

Just no.

A thousand times no.
    No they would contract from the size they are when we brought them all home, and if you think federal infrastructure funds are free of corruption you need help.
    Corruption IS a separate issue, there is nothing about the armed forces that makes them inherently susceptible to it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Annette Island, Alaska

The following quotes from Wikipedia are priceless regarding government promises and efficiency.

During World War II, the United States made a treaty with the Metlakatla Indian Community to permit construction and operation of a military airbase on Annette Island. In exchange, the US promised to build a road connecting the ocean-side city to Alaska's Inside Passage (in order to allow year-round ferry service to Ketchikan).
    More than 50 years after the end of WWII, in 1997 the US Federal Government began construction of the cross-island road promised to Metlakatla under its wartime M.O.A. treaty. From 1997 to 2007, a joint task force under the overall command of Alaska Command, and led by the Missouri Army National Guard, worked at constructing a 15-mile road from one side of Annette Island to the other. Members of the Active and Reserve components of the Army, Navy, United States Air Force, and the Marines deployed to the island on 2- to 3-week rotations to build the road.[5]
    Ten years of weekend pension seekers pounding their puds and all the injuns got was a lousy 15 miles of road.

It only took our best and bravest 60+ years to say Mission Accomplished.
    Last edited by sparebulb; 08-17-2017 at 04:52 PM.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I thought some of them did that during Iraq, Afghanistan "reconstruction" projects after spreading our freedom values there. But homeland is not a war zone, so mil may not feel comfortable getting involved in that kind of projects at home.

U.S. Navy Seabees and U.S. Army soldiers deliver backpacks and school supplies to students in Addis Adaba, Ethiopia, March. 18, 2008.

AUSSIE THOUGHTS,.. Diane T'blue: February 2011Can't healthy Afghan males do this job?

Handling bricks in Iraq

Does government portray more drivers on the road as a problem, or as an opportunity for gaining more customers?
    Does the USPS see more USPS users as a problem, or as gaining more customers?

In my neck of the woods, an increase of users of government "services", is portrayed as problematic.
    With no rural USPS delivery in my area, I have to prove to the USPS that I live in the area to receive mail. If you don't OFFICIALLY live in the area, you are not allowed to receive mail at the P.O. -Turning away customers.

A sibling of mine assigned various USPS carrier routes up there in Danke-ville, has complained about the "partnership" of FedEx, Amazon, and the USPS. Too many customers is a problem for government, yet an opportunity for private entrepreneurs.

Go figure.
    Ron Paul

If we strip away the philosophical disagreements the questions becomes about management. If you have in your employment idol laborers who are capable of doing a job you need done then generally it is going to make more sense to set them to the task rather then hiring still more people while leaving your idol employees idol. However I don't think its an question you can answer on principle, sometimes for reason of moral, efficiency, quality, etc, it may make sense to hire outside individuals. Reducing labor costs by using your labor more efficiently is good management practices.

It would save tax money and give them something to do during peacetime.
    If security considerations didn't demand that they perform some military task during peacetime (e.g. training), they'd be best released.

By not releasing them, you're misallocating resources: i.e. from whatever productive industries they'd enter, to nonsensical state road building.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Because most of the roman roads were actually built by private contractors not soldiers. Yes, some were buily by soldiers but the majority were done by the private industry.

Look it up

The armies were mostly employed in Keynesian type activities, cyclically digging and filling ditches, etc, to keep them too busy for politics.

...that their work be productive was relatively unimportant.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast