Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: First case of China-linked coronavirus reported in US

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I've heard panda meat is pretty bland and flavorless. Perhaps the right chef can cook it properly to bring out the flavor.
    Domesticated is pretty good with the right spices, wild, not so much.

You should try the Three-Toed Sloth, though hard to catch.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My flight to Beijing was full booked just two days ago. Now over 180 seats open...
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    My flight to Beijing was full booked just two days ago. Now over 180 seats open...
    Maybe it will be cancelled.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Maybe it will be cancelled.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

The U.S. State Department on Monday warned against visiting China and said Americans should not travel to the Hubei province, given that the province's city of Wuhan is ground zero for a new deadly coronavirus.
    The State Department has already ordered the departure of all non-emergency U.S. personnel and family members from the province and the "U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services" to its citizens there.
    It said travelers should be prepared for the Chinese government to put travel restrictions in place "with little or no advance notice."

http://news.trust.org/item/20200127192459-dowhs

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Yet the Budweiservirus gets completely ignored.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    Yet the Budweiservirus gets completely ignored.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    None whatsoever. But where I live you will not see any, ever. The town I live in has less than 1k inhabitants. I can let you know in two weeks as I'll be flying again. I did get checked with a thermal camera upon arrival in Johannesburg at the end of November... But that was before the outbreak. Not sure what they were looking for.

But no, the official government body responsible for this is keeping the chances of an outbreak in Holland to low. Mostly because there are no direct flights. They're not denying it's possible, just stating that it's less likely. Of course, if it becomes a pandemic, none of that is relevant.
    That's interesting, thanks.

Wuhan had direct flights to a number of foreign countries, but not to the Netherlands.

But Paris was on the list, and they had a diagnosed case a few days ago.

High speed connection of, what, 2.5 hours? I think you're likely to get cases if this starts to reproduce outside Wuhan (already in Beijing).

The screening in S. Africa last year is odd, no? I don't know what that would have been.

...latent Boer sympathies?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Yeah, “reported cases” will never be accurate, China or anywhere. It’s more of a sample, like a poll. Rate of change is what is important.
    Exactly, and the estimated r0 based on the *official* figures is high enough to make me think that this is going to spread far and wide.

I think the key question at this point is what is the real mortality rate.

3% appears to be the consensus, and that might not sound like much, but it's actually quite a lot relative normal flu.

And there are reports of it being much higher, like 10-15%.

The direct effect of the illness is one thing; the real problem is the social effect (e.g. essential workers refusing to go to work).

At some point, if it becomes widespread, and if the reported mortality rate is high enough, that will happen.

...which is a good reason for states to lie about it.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

@luctor-et-emergo Your mailbox is full.

Now it up to 192 open going to PEK, but full coming home. 777
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

@luctor-et-emergo Your mailbox is full.

Now it up to 192 open going to PEK, but full coming home. 777
    Mailbox is fixed. I like 777's. They're good to fly on as a passenger and statistically one of the safest planes made*.
    Last time I went to China I went on the 787 with the angled BC seats. That was quite nice as well. I like the looks of that airplane.
    Might get a chance to fly on the A380 soon, haven't before.. But before they're out of service I want to be on one, missed Concorde as well..

But sorry, not to get off topic too far. I do fly regularly. So far this virus has not really scared me but if me feeling is right, I hope not, we'll get an explosion in the numbers within a few days. As someone in Germany apparently was infected by another person who came from China... That must mean a lot more people like that have been infected in the past number of days in lots of places around the world. If it's true that it's transmittable during the entire incubation period. I don't know if anyone knows all the details for sure yet. In any case, maybe nothing happens, maybe the virus mutates to a milder variant, maybe it becomes worse, we'll have to wait.

*This statistic does not enhance your chances against the coronavirus.
    "I am a bird"

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, still have to go to China tomorrow, but my next trip there has been canceled.

Still a ton of seats open if @Anti Federalist wants to come along with me and drink and eat the local cuisine. I'll buy the first round.
    Last edited by Danke; 01-28-2020 at 03:54 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Well, still have to go to China tomorrow, but my next trip there has been canceled.

Still a ton of seats open if @Anti Federalist wants to come along with me and drink and eat the local cuisine. I'll buy the first round.
    Can you stay on the plane until it leaves?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Can you stay on the plane until it leaves?
    No, plane leaves a few hours after we land, I go to the hotel for about 40 hours.

But I packed well:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3E3C63C4-4A5F-401E-8A81-94F3A431494C.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	7415
    Last edited by Danke; 01-28-2020 at 04:08 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

No, plane leaves a few hours after we land, I go to the hotel for about 40 hours.

But I packed well:

Think healthy.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    ...As someone in Germany apparently was infected by another person who came from China... That must mean a lot more people like that have been infected in the past number of days in lots of places around the world. If it's true that it's transmittable during the entire incubation period.
    More on the German cases. Woman came from China to train in Germany, passed the virus on to co-workers.

BERLIN (Reuters) - Three more people in southern Germany have contracted the coronavirus and they are employees at the same company where a man became the first person in Germany to become infected with the virus, the Bavarian health ministry said on Tuesday.

The 33-year-old man apparently contracted the virus on Jan. 21 during a training session with a Chinese colleague, the ministry said. The three additional patients were being monitored in isolation at a clinic in Munich.
    More: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN1ZR2O1
    So four in Germany so far.

The man took part last Tuesday in a training session at his workplace that also included an employee of the same company visiting from China, said Andreas Zapf, the head of Bavaria's office for health and food safety.

The woman, who hadn't previously shown any symptoms, flew home on Thursday and went to a doctor after feeling ill on the flight, Zapf said. She then tested positive for the new virus. The woman lives in Shanghai but had been visited a few days earlier by her parents, who come from the worst-affected Wuhan area.
    https://www.foxnews.com/health/germa...ronavirus-case
    Contagious before symptoms. Asymptomatic transmission. Not good.

Edit: updated, this was probably not an asymptomatic transmission.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post6918437
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 02-04-2020 at 12:59 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

One is probably Anti Federalist.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

One is probably Anti Federalist.
    I don't think he's been to China lately.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't think he's been to China lately.
    His deck hands probably have been exposed.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

His deck hands probably have been exposed.
    But not necessarily to Corona.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

1. "The safe way to text with your Wuhan friends"

2. And the surefire way to get dinner plans cancelled

3. Not a meme - NBC's actual grasp on Chinese geography

4. And, of course, the internet responds...

5. New on Netflix

6. Taobao sales are feverish

7. "Will you hang out with me?"

8. "I'm coming!"

9. "In case masks are out of stock"

10. And if you get reallydesperate...

11. The timing of this outbreak isn't great at all

12. So take necessary precautions on public transport

13. You can never be too safe

14. But don't get blinded by fear

15. Make sure you still see sense

16. The official response is reassuring

17. Still, get acquainted with the symptoms

18. Because it's highly contagious

19. Especially in group situations

20. But most of all, have a happy Spring Festival

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Since the virus can be spread through air, people can become infected easily and those who have been infected can spread the virus well before someone shows any symptoms.
    Airborne with asymptomatic transmission.

Edit: updated, disputed asymptomatic transmission.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post6918437
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 02-04-2020 at 01:00 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Try not to get stuck there.

White House Weighing Complete Shutdown Of Passenger Plane Traffic From China

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

But I packed well:

You’ll get there just in time for China to halt all travel...

“Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

3. Not a meme - NBC's actual grasp on Chinese geography[I]

This goes here...

“Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast