Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul Endorses Gary Johnson for Senate.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    When is the last time you bought Sudafed? You don't have complete liberty to buy it, there are very strict limits to how much you can purchase, and requires your ID get entered into a database. Get caught with too much and you might very well be looking at jail.
    OK I have to interject . . .
    a local old timer (former ex- Chi town boxer -actually originally LaGrange - old school boxer - Howard Cosel-esque")
    bought a $#@!load of Sudafed a few years back -
    overall good guy that broke up a fight in 2008 (RP) v. McCain's hero the county attorney'ds dad- he faced a major fdelony facing major felony except he's like 70 . . .

it's about money . . . got probation . . . the tavern is off limits for him . . no football games in the bar off limits . . .
    yet, bought me a beer in the local 'pub' last year downtown. lol`

Back to Johnson . . .

A Libertarian that really could become that much of a laughing stock - suits the goonerment fine. Ends liberty ideals by "crazy."
    Last edited by Jan2017; 08-30-2018 at 02:59 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    But I'd like to see him do it just to see the reactions of some here whose level of hatred for GJ is irrational.
    I agree. It makes no sense to support someone like Trump over Johnson as quite a few here have done.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I never said that. This is at least the second time you have twisted my words around with no proof at all.

What I am saying is that Gary Johnson is not a libertarian. He is a big government libertine who wants to use government to promote the things he likes and stick it to the rest of us.
    Wait a second. Haven't you repeatedly claimed that Trump has done many good things and that we shouldn't be so negative about him?

I know Governor GaryJohnson has toked more 'weed' than I ever had, but I want him to WIN!

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Will Gary's Senate chambers be uncommonly welcoming to Council On Foreign Relations lobbyists?

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Will Gary's Senate chambers be uncommonly welcoming to Council On Foreign Relations lobbyists?
    Only if they all get stoned and inhale the same wackytabbacky smoke, I assume.
    He's an improvement over President Donald Trump, he likes to mellow out people.

I'm pretty stoked about this run. Gary has a real chance to become the first Libertarian Party senator.

National Review has an article stating Gary is polling at 21%, with 30% still undecided. If the Republican drops out, Johnson would stand a better chance, but he's already gained quite a few Republican endorsements.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    No. My call is for all cannabis law to be repealed. It is not the same at all.
    Repealing a law that makes cannabis illegal is, by definition, legalizing it.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    I'm pretty stoked about this run. Gary has a real chance to become the first Libertarian Party senator.

National Review has an article stating Gary is polling at 21%, with 30% still undecided. If the Republican drops out, Johnson would stand a better chance, but he's already gained quite a few Republican endorsements.
    How does polling at 21% constitute a real chance? Unless you mean like 1 in 1,000,000?

How does polling at 21% constitute a real chance? Unless you mean like 1 in 1,000,000?
    The first poll, made as soon as he entered the race, and before he'd had time to even campaign much, shows he'd get 21% with 30% still undecided. That is a real chance. There's plenty of time for that number to go up, especially as Gary already has $100,000 to spend on the campaign, in a state with only one media market.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

No, that means 1 in 5.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    LETs ALL STAND WITH RAND
    AS HE STANDs WITH GARY!!!

The first poll, made as soon as he entered the race, and before he'd had time to even campaign much, shows he'd get 21% with 30% still undecided. That is a real chance. There's plenty of time for that number to go up, especially as Gary already has $100,000 to spend on the campaign, in a state with only one media market.
    I still can't fathom how you consider that a real chance. Are you thinking that, even though only 30% of those who already have decided support him, 100% of the undecideds are going to?

I still can't fathom how you consider that a real chance. Are you thinking that, even though only 30% of those who already have decided support him, 100% of the undecideds are going to?
    Why on earth would 100% of the undecideds need to support him?

It isn't a 2 way race, if the R drops out then most of his support will go to Johnson.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Again... Oh happy day!

DOCTOR RAND PAUL for POTUS in 2024!
    GARY JOHNSON for SEC' of COMMERCE!

Independents, Libertarians, and Republicans are challenging a last-minute change in the New Mexico ballot; the case will be held before the New Mexico Supreme Court. Even some Democrats are calling foul, as New Mexico's Secretary of State Maggie Toulouse Oliver (D) made the surprise announcement that straight ticket voting would return to New Mexico, in this year's election. This is likely illegal, as NM has banned straight-ticket ballots since 2001.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It isn't a 2 way race, if the R drops out then most of his support will go to Johnson.
    Most of the R's support comes to 6%.

Last edited by Superfluous Man; 09-08-2018 at 11:04 AM. Reason: dupe post

Why on earth would 100% of the undecideds need to support him?
    Pretty close to that many would for him to win the general election. And that's assuming that the 21% who say they support him stick with him, which is overly optimistic in the first place. You're the one who mentioned 30% being undecided as somehow strengthening the case that he could possibly win. All I'm doing is pointing out how nonsensical that is.

To say he has as good as a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of winning is to paint a pretty rosy picture of this situation for him.
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 09-08-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Most of the R's support comes to 6%.
    Pretty close to that many would for him to win the general election. And that's assuming that the 21% who say they support him stick with him, which is overly optimistic in the first place. You're the one who mentioned 30% being undecided as somehow strengthening the case that he could possibly win. All I'm doing is pointing out how nonsensical that is.

To say he has as good as a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of winning is to paint a pretty rosy picture of this situation for him.
    There is plenty of time for him to change minds, the odds may be against him but not by as much as you think.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

LETs ALL STAND WITH RAND
    AS HE STANDs WITH GARY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    DOCTOR RAND PAUL for POTUS in 2024!
    GARY JOHNSON for SEC' of COMMERCE!
    ^^^^^^^^^^legalize pot!^^^^^^^^^^

If FDR could make booze street-legal in 1933, why should Democrats have ALL the fun!!!!

There is plenty of time for him to change minds, the odds may be against him but not by as much as you think.
    Exactly. The idea that Gary would need to get "100% of the undecideds" is ridiculous. This is a single poll, made shortly after Gary announced his candidacy, in a fluid election which won't be held for months. Gary already has a $100,000 war chest, and as former governor of the state, he has name recognition.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Exactly. The idea that Gary would need to get "100% of the undecideds" is ridiculous. This is a single poll, made shortly after Gary announced his candidacy, in a fluid election which won't be held for months. Gary already has a $100,000 war chest, and as former governor of the state, he has name recognition.
    Hold on a second. Earlier, this poll, which looks surprisingly and even unreasonably positive for GJ, that you're now discounting as a single poll, was the whole basis for your saying he had a real chance of winning the whole election.

If this poll isn't a good enough reason to say that (and I agree that it isn't by any stretch of the imagination), then what is?

At this point, we have really no good reason to think he'll even do as well as this poll shows. He probably won't get 20%, and he probably won't beat the Republican, to say nothing of the Democrat. People are always more comfortable saying they'll support 3rd party candidates in polls than they are in the actual voting booth. But even if this poll does prove accurate, it doesn't give us any reason to say that his odds of winning are better than 1 in 1,000,000.

Hold on a second. Earlier, this poll, which looks surprisingly and even unreasonably positive for GJ, that you're now discounting as a single poll
    I'm not discounting the poll. I'm saying it's a single poll. Which it is. The fact that it's a single poll should be pretty obvious. Stating that it's a single poll shouldn't be controversial. Why do you have a problem with me stating that it's a single poll? It is. Poll numbers will go up or down. If a LP candidate has $100,000 available for campaign spending, it's possible that those poll numbers will continue to climb. Are you saying it's not possible?

But even if this poll does prove accurate, it doesn't give us any reason to say that his odds of winning are better than 1 in 1,000,000.
    Well, clearly you have calculated the odds, and understand math better than others here, so I'll leave you to your calculations. I will continue to believe that a well-known and well-funded candidate polling at 21% in a three-party run months before the election has a chance, and you can continue to believe that he does not.
    Last edited by RJ Liberty; 09-10-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast