Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tulsi Gabbard Votes 'Present' on Trump Impeachment, Slams 'Purely Partisan Process'

Tulsi Gabbard Votes 'Present' on Trump Impeachment, Slams 'Purely Partisan Process'

Tulsi Gabbard Votes 'Present' on Trump Impeachment, Slams 'Purely Partisan Process'
    "I come before you to make a stand for the center," said Gabbard in a statement.
    ROBBY SOAVE | 12.18.2019

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D–Hawaii), a candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination, voted "present" on the two articles of impeachment against President Trump on Wednesday. This made her virtually the only the Democrat to effectively vote against sending the president's removal to the Senate. Rep. Jeff Van Drew (D–NJ) voted no on impeachment, but is expected to switch parties.
    "When I cast my vote in support of the impeachment inquiry nearly three months ago, I said that in order to maintain the integrity of this solemn undertaking, it must not become a partisan endeavor," said Gabbard. "Tragically, that's what it has been."

Gabbard characterized her actions as a "stand for the center"—a center that neither excuses Trump's wrongdoing, nor supports his ousting mere months before a presidential election.
    More: https://reason.com/2019/12/18/tulsi-...nt-vote-trump/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    "I come before you to make a stand for the center," said Gabbard in a statement.
    ROBBY SOAVE | 12.18.2019
    TWO WORDs

MITT ROMNEY

The principled left?

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I think I might just vote in the democrat primaries in 2020. Strategically.

I know she hates guns but all the democrats hate guns so that pretty much cancels it out.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 12-18-2019 at 10:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

The principled left?
    Yes, she will undoubtedly oppose this scheme to bring out troops home just like she opposed Trump pulling troops out of Syria.

EM.

Only one of the two can be true, not sure yet which one. She seems like a complex character.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Voting present was a coward move. She either authentically sees high crimes and misdemeanors or she doesn't. If you see them, vote Yea, if you don't, vote Nay.

This is the opposite of leadership.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    Voting present was a coward move. She either authentically sees high crimes and misdemeanors or she doesn't. If you see them, vote Yea, if you don't, vote Nay.

A coward is slightly better than a traitor.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Hmmm

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Heard at least two US military members give speech about fighting for America and vote in favor impaechment in Congress today. Are you implying those who voted in favor of impaechment were 'traitors'?
    Also, do you view MAGA top donor, respected globalist neocon Sheldon Adelson who wants his children to fight for a foreign country's military instead of America's and allegedly driving US mideast interventions policy, a patriot?

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Heard at least two US military members give speech about fighting for America and vote in favor impaechment in Congress today. Are you implying those who voted in favor of impaechment were 'traitors'?
    All those who support this treasonous coup in cooperation with foreign enemies are traitors.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You are suggesting that majority of elected representatives of American voters in Congress and half of American public (who support impeachment of GOPA wing leader) are 'traiotrs'... correct?
    If so, you need to be specific in such claims, who are those 'foreign enemies' that Congress members who voted today in favor of impaechment are working with... Russia, Israel, Ukraine or some other entity? And do you have any proof?

Won't even ask who appointed you in charge of issuing patriotism certificates to all of Congress.

A big conundrum for all the TDS / Tulsi supporters here

Too bad she didnt have the balls to just go yay or nay. Present is just weak.
    Last edited by eleganz; 12-18-2019 at 11:26 PM.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

You are suggesting that majority of elected representatives of American voters in Congress and half of American public (who support impeachment of GOPA wing leader) are 'traiotrs'... correct?
    If so, you need to be specific in such claims, who are those 'foreign enemies' that Congress members who voted today in favor of impaechment are working with... Russia, Israel, Ukraine or some other entity? And do you have any proof?

Won't even ask who appointed you in charge of issuing patriotism certificates to all of Congress.
    It takes an knowing act to be guilty of treason so the stupid half of the public is off the hook.
    The foreign enemies are in the Ukraine, the UK, Australia and many other places, the evidence has been posted many times.

And any citizen has a right to call out treason, I won't even ask why you think I need special permission to criticize Congress, your viewpoint is obvious and unamerican.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Most common sense people would see a big difference between political criticism and declaring those with different views 'traitors'.. especially when it's absurd notion that majority of elected representatives of people are so.

Even the highly intuitive leader of GOPA wing had said this:

Trump: "Nancy Pelosi loves this country"

I'm not convinced that Congress approach is right in trying to dump sitting POTUS in this manner. Which reminds me you recently called POTUS 'dump'.. should that raise any questions about your patriotism?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Most common sense people would see a big difference between political criticism and declaring those with different views 'traitors'.. especially when it's absurd notion that majority of elected representatives of people are so.

Even the highly intuitive leader of GOPA wing had said this:

Trump: "Nancy Pelosi loves this country"

I'm not convinced that Congress approach is right in trying to dump sitting POTUS in this manner. Which reminds me you recently called POTUS 'dump'.. should that raise any questions about your patriotism?
    LOL

There is nothing absurd in the notion that the House majority are traitors and you are trying to confuse the difference between political criticism and calling out treason in your own post.

You are exposing yourself as unamerican more and more.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

My theory.

Voting "present" indicates that she believes Trump should be impeached. But not for the articles presented by the House Democrats.

Tulsi has made harsh statements about Trump in the past about foreign policy.
    Last edited by revgen; 12-19-2019 at 02:20 AM.

I admire her vote, which I feel is a principled stand against obvious political corruption on both sides of the aisle. I know this will win her even more enemies in the Democratic Party, and will likely also not help her with Republicans, but I suspect Independents prefer this non-binary thinking.

Makes sense why she would do that. Voting for Trumps impeachment would jeopardize her presidential campaign.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

She made an interesting statement

"After doing my due diligence in reviewing the 658-page impeachment report, I came to the conclusion that I could not in good conscience vote either yes or no.
    "I am standing in the center and have decided to vote Present. I could not in good conscience vote against impeachment because I believe President Trump is guilty of wrongdoing.
    "I also could not in good conscience vote for impeachment because removal of a sitting President must not be the culmination of a partisan process, fueled by tribal animosities that have so gravely divided our country. When I cast my vote in support of the impeachment inquiry nearly three months ago, I said that in order to maintain the integrity of this solemn undertaking, it must not be a partisan endeavor. Tragically, that’s what it has been."

An interesting perspective that shows her to be an independent thinker, able to escape the herd mentality of the NPC crowd, and that is a good thing for a leader to have. Being able to stand up to that level of political pressure on principle even if you disagree with it is still a good thing, Ron Paul did that. She also admits the faults of her own in the congress, any American not overwhelmed by the political emtionality of it can see the logic she used.
    Et cognoscetis veritatem et veritas liberabit vos

Tulsi, Tulsi... hopefully we can all quit putting her in the lime-light.

This is but a small sample of her record:

• Tulsi is a top leader in fighting for urgent action to address climate change.

• Tulsi strongly supports the Medicare for All Act and serves on the Medicare for All Caucus.

•Tulsi has fought for education on many levels, including:

Free college - H.R. 1880 College for All Act

Funding for Native Hawaiian education programs - H.R. 895 Native Hawaiian Education Act

Funding for Hawaii’s schools - secure $47 million in federal funding

• Tulsi strongly supports a number of gun control measures, including:

A federal ban on military-style assault weapons and high capacity magazines - H.R. 5807 Assault Weapons Ban

H.R. 3947 Automatic Gunfire Prevention Act and H.R. 3999 to ban devices that speed up gunfire from semi-automatic weapons.

H.R. 1745 Support Assault Firearms Elimination and Reduction for our Streets Act

H.R.8 — Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019 - To require a background check for every firearm sale

Closing the gun-show loophole

• Along with Senator Bernie Sanders and other Democratic leaders, Tulsi introduced Raise the Wage to raise the minimum wage to $15/hour by 2024

H.R. 15 Raise the Wage Act

H.R.582 — Raise the Wage Act

• Tulsi has a 100% voting record with both Planned Parenthood and NARAL

https://www.tulsigabbard.org/

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    I think I might just vote in the democrat primaries in 2020. Strategically.

I know she hates guns but all the democrats hate guns so that pretty much cancels it out.
    I hear ya. My $25.00 donation to Tulsi was money well spent. I love, love, LOVE that she has been in the debates. CNN had to cheat her to keep her out of the last one. (Did they even have it? The other dems were hand wringing over crossing the union picket line.)
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post

1) She's not going to win.

2) If you think we are putting her in the limeline then you are self deluded as to the strength of the Ron Paul movement in 2019.

3) Trump's actual record on guns is horrible. He proposed an assault weapons ban in 2002. He again proposed one, to Dianne Feinstein of all people, as POTUS. He set a horrible precedent by banning a legal gun accessory by executive order over the objections of his own ATF, he floated a red flag law trial balloon and finally settled on an Orweillian "thought crime" regime for gun control.

4) Trump supports government run universal healthcare. See: https://www.statnews.com/2016/02/05/...l-health-care/
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Voting “no” and saying the impeachment articles have no high crimes or misdemeanors is a great option. You can add, wake me up when you got something real.

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    A big conundrum for all the TDS / Tulsi supporters here

Too bad she didnt have the balls to just go yay or nay. Present is just weak.
    If you are running in the Democrat primary, it’s probably your best option. Some Democrats will agree with it, although the Democrat deep state establishment will rip her for it.

An analogy I used earlier was imagine Trump as driving 57 in a 55 zone. The court system tells people just vote on guilt or innocence, not the ludicrousness of the charge, or severity of the penalty. You couldn’t honestly say he wasn’t guilty, but it would be bad to go along with the rigged game. “Present” is not a terrible option.

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post

• Tulsi is a top leader in fighting for urgent action to address climate change.

• Tulsi strongly supports the Medicare for All Act and serves on the Medicare for All Caucus.

•Tulsi has fought for education on many levels, including:

Free college - H.R. 1880 College for All Act

Funding for Native Hawaiian education programs - H.R. 895 Native Hawaiian Education Act

Funding for Hawaii’s schools - secure $47 million in federal funding

• Tulsi strongly supports a number of gun control measures, including:

A federal ban on military-style assault weapons and high capacity magazines - H.R. 5807 Assault Weapons Ban

H.R. 3947 Automatic Gunfire Prevention Act and H.R. 3999 to ban devices that speed up gunfire from semi-automatic weapons.

H.R. 1745 Support Assault Firearms Elimination and Reduction for our Streets Act

H.R.8 — Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019 - To require a background check for every firearm sale

Closing the gun-show loophole

• Along with Senator Bernie Sanders and other Democratic leaders, Tulsi introduced Raise the Wage to raise the minimum wage to $15/hour by 2024

H.R. 15 Raise the Wage Act

H.R.582 — Raise the Wage Act

• Tulsi has a 100% voting record with both Planned Parenthood and NARAL

https://www.tulsigabbard.org/
    Yep, we all know about her bad positions. Don’t confuse discussion of current events and discreet, specific issues with either full support or non-support.

Yep, we all know about her bad positions. Don’t confuse discussion of current events and discreet, specific issues with either full support or non-support.
    Exactly. All I was saying is that there's no reason to vote in republican primaries if Trump is not going to be contested. That means the only decision to be made is which democrat do we really want to let anywhere near the White House.

Hell, I'll be shallow and without shame.

If there's no policy difference between the dem candidates, I'd rather look at Tulsi for 4 years than frazzle-haired, yellow-toothed Bernie. That's assuming Democrats win, which I don't think is likely.

Plus Clinton hates her. Bonus point.
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

I agree, she is a coward.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I agree, she is a coward.
    Depends on who you're comparing her to. 2 demos that voted against impeachment were braver than her, but they're not running for the presidency either.

The liberal MSM is going to skewer her later on the campaign trail for not marching lockstep with 99% of the House dems. Any vote other than 'yea' was pretty gutsy when you think about what she just set herself up for.

I was happy to see Trump win for no other reason than his ability to grab the MSM by the tail and slam them around the room repeatedly. America needs more of that. I'll have my popcorn ready for someone on the left to do that as well. Trump can't expose the MSM to liberals. Anything he does is going to be met with partisan suspicions. Tulsi's the only one in any sort of position to expose the establishment from within the left. I've said it once and I'll say it again: the media is the biggest obstacle we face. Long after Trump is gone, we'll still have that beast to contend with.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 12-19-2019 at 07:03 PM.
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.

Tulsi is a politician and makes statements like a politician. She has made some gutsy sounding remarks that go against the grain. She was the lone present vote. I salute her for that.

She is also one of the few Democratic candidates that has a brain and isn't totally insane. She hasn't called for government funded abortions for male to female transexuals for instance.

I mostly disagree with her, but I don't lump her in with the clown �� world that most of the other politicians wallow in.

Just my two cents...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast