Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Treasury to Announce Harriet Tubman to Replace Jackson on $20 bill

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Don't worry "they'll" create authenticating pens for the new money...
    The pens wear out and give false positives constantly. Ever see a cashier use one? They usually just... stare... at the results.

Expecting a poorly-trained teen (or retiree) to understand the finer points of a few dozen types of currency and be the first line of defense against counterfeiters is ridiculous, yet that's where the bulk of funny money gets into circulation.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    The pens wear out and give false positives constantly. Ever see a cashier use one? They usually just... stare... at the results.

Expecting a poorly-trained teen (or retiree) to understand the finer points of a few dozen types of currency and be the first line of defense against counterfeiters is ridiculous, yet that's where the bulk of funny money gets into circulation.
    I don't see how that's different from every single other country in the world, though.

Except maybe Australia and Mexico where they have plastic bills. It's insanely difficult to counterfeit them.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUglyTruth View Post
    I don't see how that's different from every single other country in the world, though.

Except maybe Australia and Mexico where they have plastic bills. It's insanely difficult to counterfeit them.

Who is that dude on your currency?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Not my currency. But I believe that's Jose Maria Morelos.

The pens wear out and give false positives constantly. Ever see a cashier use one?
    You wouldn't know for sure, anyway, after a few hours because it's disappearing ink. A lot of things will cause false positives, including the presence of starch on the bill.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

It's different in that our currency is changing constantly enough for multiple bill types to be legal currency at any given time. There've been a number of changes just in my adult life.

Microprinting and security threads were introduced in the 1991 currency series.

Another series started in 1996 with the $100 note, adding the following changes:

• A larger portrait, moved off-center to create more space to incorporate a watermark.
    • The watermark to the right of the portrait depicting the same historical figure as the portrait. The watermark can be seen only when held up to the light (and had long been a standard feature of all other major currencies).
    • A security thread that will glow pink when exposed to ultraviolet light in a dark environment.[32] The thread is in a unique position on each denomination.
    • Color-shifting ink that changes from green to black when viewed from different angles. This feature appears in the numeral on the lower right-hand corner of the bill front.
    • Microprinting in the numeral in the note's lower left-hand corner and on Benjamin Franklin's coat.
    • Concentric fine-line printing in the background of the portrait and on the back of the note. This type of printing is difficult to copy well.
    • The value of the currency written in 14pt Arial font on the back for those with sight disabilities.
    • Other features for machine authentication and processing of the currency.

Annual releases of the 1996 series followed. The $50 note June 12, 1997, introduced a large dark numeral with a light background on the back of the note to make it easier for people to identify the denomination.[33] The $20 note in 1998 introduced a new machine-readable capability to assist scanning devices. The security thread glows green under ultraviolet light, and "USA TWENTY" and a flag are printed on the thread, while the numeral "20" is printed within the star field of the flag. The microprinting is in the lower left ornamentation of the portrait and in the lower left corner of the note front. As of 1998, the $20 note was the most frequently counterfeited note in the United States.

May 13, 2003, The Treasury announced that it would introduce new colors into the $20 bill, the first U.S. currency since 1905 (not counting the 1934 gold certificates) to have colors other than green or black. The move was intended primarily to reduce counterfeiting, rather than to increase visual differentiation between denominations. The main colors of all denominations, including the new $20 and $50, remain green and black; the other colors are present only in subtle shades in secondary design elements. This contrasts with notes of the euro, Australian dollar, and most other currencies, where strong colours are used to distinguish each denomination from the other.

The new $20 bills entered circulation October 9, 2003, the new $50 bills, September 28, 2004. The new $10 notes were introduced in 2006 and redesigned $5 bills began to circulate March 13, 2008. Each will have subtle elements of different colors, though will continue to be primarily green and black. The Treasury said it will update Federal Reserve notes every 7 to 10 years to keep up with counterfeiting technology. In addition, there have been rumors that future banknotes will use embedded RFID microchips as another anti-counterfeiting tool.[34]

The 2008 $5 bill contains significant new security updates. The obverse side of the bill includes patterned yellow printing that will cue digital image-processing software to prevent digital copying, watermarks, digital security thread, and extensive microprinting. The reverse side includes an oversized purple number 5 to provide easy differentiation from other denominations.[35]

On April 21, 2010, the U.S. Government announced a heavily redesigned $100 bill that featured bolder colors, color shifting ink, microlenses, and other features. It was scheduled to start circulating on February 10, 2011, but was delayed due to the discovery of sporadic creasing on the notes and "mashing" (when there is too much ink on the paper, the artwork on the notes are not clearly seen). The redesigned $100 bill was released October 8, 2013.[36] It costs 11.8 cents to produce each bill.[37]

"The soundness of a nation's currency is essential to the soundness of its economy. And to uphold our currency's soundness, it must be recognized and honored as legal tender and counterfeiting must be effectively thwarted," Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan said at a ceremony unveiling the $20 bill's new design. Prior to the current design, the most recent redesign of the U.S. dollar bill was in 1996.
    In other words, they are literally always tinkering with it. That's a problem, and it's been an increasing problem as every time they make bills "more secure" it somehow fails to make them more secure in any demonstrable way.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    You wouldn't know for sure, anyway, after a few hours because it's disappearing ink. A lot of things will cause false positives, including the presence of starch on the bill.
    Yep, and even the "hologram test" fails a lot of the time for a number of reasons.

I think this is a great choice. Tubman, as an enemy of the state, is by far more deserving of honor than anyone else whose image is on any American currency.

I vote for Lysander Spooner as the next one to get his picture on a bill.

It's different in that our currency is changing constantly enough for multiple bill types to be legal currency at any given time. There've been a number of changes just in my adult life.
    That happens in every country.

Canadian Dollar in the past 30 years:
    The Swiss Franc has had 4 series since 1976.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bankno...he_Swiss_franc

The Bank of England issue of British Pounds has had 4 series since 1981
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_o...nd_note_issues

In Britain it's even more complicated than that. Eight different banks can issue banknotes for the British Pound, each with their own unique designs.

In Britain it's even more complicated than that. Eight different banks can issue banknotes for the British Pound, each with their own unique designs.
    You guys ever put an Aztec Warrior on your currency?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here's to hoping.

You guys ever put an Aztec Warrior on your currency?
    Who is you guys?

Who is you guys?
    Wetbacks.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Wetbacks.
    That's an extremely offensive slur. If I were a wetback, I'd be very offended.

That's an extremely offensive slur. If I were a wetback, I'd be very offended.
    Oh sorry, I meant DampBack.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Janet Yellen seems like an appropriate choice and quite the looker to boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    Janet Yellen seems like an appropriate choice and quite the looker to boot.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

I can't argue with that. A good complement would be Uncle Ben on the ten dollar bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I can't argue with that. A good complement would be Uncle Ben on the ten dollar bill.
    Aunt Jemima on the $50?

Aunt Jemima on the $50?

Either her or Latoya Jackson in her prime.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Looks like Morelos , executed in 1815 for treason , revolutionary Priest .

I do not take any of that British money , I make them pay is silver & gold .

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Lady Liberty was the one who graced our currency before we became an empire and Liberty was lost.

Real money .

The plates do eventually need to be replaced, however the variety of Monopoly-looking money in circulation is already ridiculous. Remember George Washington dollar coins? I was a cashier when that was the new thing. People had no idea wtf they were. It went the same with the new colorful money, and the money with the big giant heads. Everything was done under the guise of stopping counterfeiting, except that all it does is confuse the hell out of people.
    The Presidential coin series includes all dead presidents , four released ea year , up to Ford now I think . And still the Sacajawea dollar as well ( same size & color) .

Nice art , crossed cannons & butterflies and it still looks good .

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Shameful, just shameful. Harriett Tubman wasn't even a President. Our government has no respect for our currency anymore.
    Meh , time to get rid of Washington , Jefferson , Hamilton , Jackson , Grant .We can just use Tubman , Adams , Madison, Franklin & Danke .

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Are you saying African-Americans are now free?
    "African-Americans." LOL.

All they did is trade is trade one owner for another. I guess now you can see they're equal to white Americans as they have the same owner (the state).
    Slavery by law was abolished.

Couple things probably missed in the announcement: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/21/us...bman.html?_r=0

While Hamilton would remain on the $10, and Abraham Lincoln on the $5, images of women would be added to the back of both — in keeping with Mr. Lew’s intent “to bring to life” the national monuments depicted there.

The picture of the Treasury building on the back of the $10 bill would be replaced with a depiction of a 1913 march in support of women’s right to vote that ended at the building, along with portraits of five suffrage leaders: Lucretia Mott, Sojourner Truth, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Alice Paul and Susan B. Anthony, who in more recent years was on an unpopular $1 coin until minting ceased.

On the flip side of the $5 bill, the Lincoln Memorial would remain, but as the backdrop for the 1939 performance there of Marian Anderson, the African-American classical singer, after she was barred from singing at the segregated Constitution Hall nearby. Sharing space on the rear would be images of Eleanor Roosevelt, who arranged Anderson’s Lincoln Memorial performance, and the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., who in 1963 delivered his “I have a dream” speech from its steps.

The final redesigns will be unveiled in 2020, the centennial of the 19th Amendment establishing women’s suffrage, and will not go into wide circulation until later in the decade, starting with the new $10 note.
    So we won't even be seeing them until the late 2020's. At least ten years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    The Presidential coin series includes all dead presidents , four released ea year , up to Ford now I think . And still the Sacajawea dollar as well ( same size & color) .
    The George Washington one was the one pushed on everyone, though, including TV and radio commercials. It was also the only way postage machines provided change.

Oh sure... They finally decide to put a black person on the cash just in time for a cashless society.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast