Thread: Will work for Gumbo. Anyone here from the flooded part of Louisiana?

Will work for Gumbo. Anyone here from the flooded part of Louisiana?

I am willing to go down there, this next weekend (8/26/16) and fix flooded A/C units.

I am thinking electrical repairs only. just get it working. not make it right again.
    I can afford to get myself down there with an initial supply of probable electrical parts....

those folks will not be able to work in there, in August, to repair flood damage.... without A/C.
    the A/C also dries things out.

I am not trying to make any money here. I am offering my time and expertise.

I am 6 hours north of Baton Rouge.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    some things to consider:
    Will you obtain a permit prior to performing any work?
    Will you be liable for any problems associated with you making the AC unit operational?
    Are you licensed to do AC repairs in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    some things to consider:
    Will you be liable for any problems associated with you making the AC unit operational?
    That I would even question the seriousness of this post is truly sad.

Good on ya' HVAC tech.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

Good on ya' HVAC tech.
    I've done my fair share of out of state post storm construction; electrical, plumbing, roofing, tree cleanup, etc.
    You'd be surprised how much hassle you get over things like that, mostly liability insurance... which often can't be obtained without state/local licenses.
    Statist homeowners love them some paperwork and seems like inspectors are out in droves on overtime post weather events.
    My grey market experience pushes me towards local networks; or if out of state, then friends and family... then branch toward their neighbors.
    Last edited by presence; 08-20-2016 at 07:42 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Good on ya' HVAC tech.
    He may have been playing, "in before The Texan."

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I've done my fair share of out of state post storm construction; electrical, plumbing, roofing, tree cleanup, etc.
    You'd be surprised how much hassle you get over things like that, mostly liability insurance... which often can't be obtained without state/local licenses.
    Statist homeowners love them some paperwork and seems like inspectors are out in droves on overtime post weather events.
    My grey market experience pushes me towards local networks; or if out of state, then friends and family... then branch toward their neighbors.
    I read HVAC's post as that he was going down to perform charity work....

I have never been confronted under those circumstances.

I read HVAC's post as that he was going down to perform charity work....

I have never been confronted under those circumstances.
    yeah, I don't see that happening. and really do not give a rats azz if it does. I am licensed at the highest level in Arkansas.
    I have done work down there before and was able to buy parts just by showing my license.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    some things to consider:
    you are taking that stuff WAY too seriously. if you do the work properly, they cannot give you any crap about it.
    I am pretty serious about this and will ask around and possibly call the parts houses down there...

in fact, I will do that.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    yeah, I don't see that happening. and really do not give a rats azz if it does. I am licensed at the highest level in Arkansas.
    I have done work down there before and was able to buy parts just by showing my license.
    PM me your email address and I can maybe put you in touch with some liberty lovers doing some church stuff. They desperately need refrigeration as much as AC.

Don't bother. FEMA is on the case.

But seriously, good on you if you follow through. The universe rewards good karma.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

I saw some pictures on the news from down there . Good Luck HVAC . I have about 12 inches of rain here in the past week , but the house is still dry.

Good on ya' HVAC tech.
    thanks man.
    it looks like I have well and truly lost my mind. I have a room reservation down there for tomorrow night.
    United Refrigeration has a store there, and my plan is to just go there Monday morning. (I have an account with them, they will know who I am)

last night it hit me just how awful it would be to not have any A/C, in August, after a flood.. in south Louisiana.
    and then @angelatc reminded me about the commercial Refrigeration sector.. (I do NOT do home refrigerators)

I imagine that the local guys are swamped, covered up.
    after thinking about it... since most folks wont let me do it for free... I can probably make some good friends and some chump change.
    hell, my own customers and local supply houses might even sponsor me to go down there!
    LOL! this could get interesting real fast...

I wont know until I check it out. I have been needing a get away anyhow.
    if nothing else, I will just spend some money locally and tour the place.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Don't bother. FEMA is on the case.

But seriously, good on you if you follow through. The universe rewards good karma.
    Karma is like truth, depression and Love.

you will not recognize it for what it is... when you are in it for the first time.

free will is composed of choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqP3wT5lpa4

what started off as a desire to help, and get away for a weekend.. has morphed.

I called the main office, of state licensing. here in Arkansas. told them who I was, and asked what the status of my license here. was in Louisiana.
    I got a call back about an hour later, what (I assume) was the top guy told me. is that he did not know.

what he told me.. was that HVAC/R licensing is not done at the state level in both Missouri and Louisiana.
    interesting,
    does this mean that all I have to do is buy off Boss Hog, down there to do work?
    LOL!

as it turns out, I have national accounts down there, that will sell me parts. and my EPA card will allow me to buy refrigerant.
    boss hog can kiss my azz.

is this a good thing? or a bad thing? is it necessary to demonstrate proficiency?

If I ran Louisiana you would not need a license to fix someones AC .

LOL!
    lets assume a completely flooded system.

here is how this works folks.
    the compressor will be fine, just give it the proper electrical it is looking for, and it will run.
    the two fan motors necessary for straight A/C.. may or may not fry once I power them up.

if they do not shoot fire, you can control it from the $#@!ing breaker until someone can make it right again.
    for now, you can sleep, your $#@! will dry out, and you can be in your own house.

I will be down there this Friday.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I agree with you sir! I think that everybody and their brother should have a shot at it.

before you call me.

it is best that way. trust me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2qHbEriQ6A

in the real world, this goes on all the time.
    generally, by the time my phone rings.. they are tired of $#@!ing around.
    and yes. I can tell that when I show up and pop the panel.
    Last edited by HVACTech; 08-22-2016 at 10:31 PM.

I have never seen a A/C in a TeePee.

Does it look something like this:

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I have never seen a A/C in a TeePee.

Does it look something like this:

I just open the flap.

I caught the head of the head of radio/ television technicians board without an oath of office, He advised I would never hear from him again.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    I caught the head of the head of radio/ television technicians board without an oath of office, He advised I would never hear from him again.
    why are they, "causeways"?

I had a lot of trouble with those.. you miss your exit... and it is 15 to 20 miles before you can turn around...

with water on both sides...

be sure to pee before you go over this one.
    you do not drive over this one.. you "gallop"
    http://www.thecauseway.us/
    Last edited by HVACTech; 08-25-2016 at 10:34 PM.

so, I stayed Lafayette the first night. and it felt it a little weird.. the place was packed with "restoration services" vehicles... suddenly, I felt a little like a vulture...
    or something..

arriving in Baton Rouge, I met up with a longtime friend from the Dailypaul... here is what I found out.

the media is full of $#@!. Baton Rouge is a big place. mebbe 5% was flooded. and yes, really bad.
    the locals had things fully under control. those are good folks down there.

for those who have never been down there. Louisiana, starts around Baton Rouge. dry land is spotty and connected by really long "causeways" translation; "cause we needed a way!"

having never been to the French Quarter... I decided to check it out... it was NOT what I expected..
    it is a big place, I spent like 2 hours just wandering around it in my old dodge truck.
    it goes from rich to poor really fast. the streets are super narrow and mostly one way.
    it reminded me of both southern California and downtown Detroit at the sametime.

unlike Arkansas. Louisiana (south) is not a police state. I saw very few. while sitting in heavy traffic.. I am pretty sure a cop was able to see inside my truck.
    yes, the streets really are just that narrow. in the French Quarter.

I had to cut my trip short when my phone started ringing off the hook....