Thread: Washington State Will End Emission Testing of Cars in 2020

Washington State Will End Emission Testing of Cars in 2020

In today’s age when everything that humans do puts more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, which allegedly causes the Earth to get warmer, it’s highly unusual that any government would actually roll back an environmental law. But that’s exactly what’s happening in Washington State, where emission testing of vehicles is set to end at the end of 2019.
    From the state’s Department of Ecology: “After 38 years, Washington’s emission check program will end on January 1, 2020. After this time, vehicle owners will no longer be required to have their vehicle’s emissions tested before renewing their registration.”
    While environmentalists and climate alarmists may scratch their heads at the decision, the state explains, “Air quality in Washington is much cleaner than when the program began in 1982, and every community in our state currently meets all federal air quality standards. The combination of the testing program, advances in vehicle technology and improved motor fuels have led to significant reductions in transportation-related air pollution.”

The end to emissions testing sounds especially odd in Washington, where last year environmental lobbyists attempted to place the United States’ first-ever carbon tax on fossil fuel emissions. Initiative 1631 was intended to be a Pigovian tax, in that it would attempt to place a cost on a negative byproduct of industry (in this case the burning of fossil fuels) in order to reduce or eliminate that byproduct. In other words, if Washingtonians didn’t wish to pay the tax, they needed to eliminate all carbon emissions.
    I-1631 was voted down by Washington’s usually reliably liberal voters 56-44 percent. The initiative would have reportedly cost taxpayers $1 billion per year by 2023.
    And now, starting in 2020, Washington’s motorists will save an additional $15 per year (per vehicle) since they will no longer have to have those carbon spewing automobiles tested. “It makes sense now that air quality has improved to wind the program down and focus on other ways to improve air quality,” said Andrew Wineke, a spokesman for the Department of Ecology, which runs the emissions testing program. “Let’s save people 15 bucks and the aggravation and wind this down.”
    Emissions testing for vehicles in the United States began in New Jersey in 1974 as a response to the Clean Air Act of 1970. In the early to mid-1980s other states followed suit until 37 states required some sort of emissions testing. In 2020, Washington will join Minnesota, Michigan, Florida, Alaska, and Kentucky as states whose air quality has improved to the point of discontinuing their emission testing programs.

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/...f-cars-in-2020
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe WA residents can clarify this:

Did the emissions test involve an actual tailpipe "sniffer"?

If it did, what they will do now is plug in the OBDII port and flunk you if the ECM is throwing any DTCs.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

If it did, what they will do now is plug in the OBDII port and flunk you if the ECM is throwing any DTCs.
    It was required of all cars under 25 years old to get an emissions test once every three years, or no tabs.
    Washington is actually more conservative than one would believe from its voting patterns.

It's just crooked. Left crooked.

So if emissions tests are no longer required for registration, then that means no more tests are needed, OBDII or otherwise.

The physical test would fail if the OBDII detected a computer reset in the last 40 starts, it was a combination of OBDII and tailpipe analysis. It usually took about 3 minutes, and was a service offered at many gas stations, although not required at all counties.

This is quite a shock to me, actually.

This is great news. Just today I had to get a *!^!F*% smog check. It’s ridiculous. The state does it to get their damn $8 fee, but then you have to pay the station $40, and take time out of your day to do it. Complete waste of time and money. As WA says, cars are way cleaner now. I can see requiring a check when selling cars, but the every 2 year thing is nonsense.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Inspection, plug in to the computer if there is one, tail pipe for some, gas cap check. Extra charges for SUVs and vehicles that are a little older, but not old enough to be exempt.

I’m talking about CA...
    https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smog
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 01-23-2019 at 10:33 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Banned

Blog Entries
    I forgot to mention, it was only a requirement in some counties. The most urbanized counties.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    It was required of all cars under 25 years old to get an emissions test once every three years, or no tabs.
    Washington is actually more conservative than one would believe from its voting patterns.

So if emissions tests are no longer required for registration, then that means no more tests are needed, OBDII or otherwise.

The physical test would fail if the OBDII detected a computer reset in the last 40 starts, it was a combination of OBDII and tailpipe analysis. It usually took about 3 minutes, and was a service offered at many gas stations, although not required at all counties.

Thanks for the update, good news for WA residents.

I think you are mistaken about reset in last 40 starts. There is a thing called drive cycles that varies on vehicles. The auto's computer goes thru a series of tests and until it clears O2 sensors and all the emissions systems the OBDII will report certain systems as not ready. I don't know all the particulars but I do know it is not based on 40 starts.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    i hate emissions test , look at pictures of india or china , the stuff goes around the world , 1 am in ariz where 2 counties have tests , its a rip off of the poor and middle class that can not afford a new car when their warranty expires .

try fixing a evap system that has about 8 things on it that can go wrong and some of the parts cost $200-300 each , you change a part that the obd2 said was bad then try to get thru a drive cycle and the part did not fix it .

my advice to everyone on the forum is to put a fuel filter in the rubber line between the evap canister and and engine .

there are cars 5-6 yrs old that have evap problems .

This past summer my 2010 Yukon thru a code. I have an OBDII and got the code. I looked it up and all indicators led to a sensor on the evap canister. Was only around $25 and less than an hour to replace, not knowing how to do it. So I fixed it in let's say July. I drove the vehicle all over Connecticut. Then I used it to go from Connecticut to South Carolina. Drove it all over South Carolina. No Check Engine lights. Truck runs great. Emissions and registration was due to expire November 22. I took it in for emissions with no active or pending codes. It failed emissions because all the systems had not been cleared. The guy is saying because battery disconnected or computer reset. None were the case. He said I would need to bring to authorized mechanic to fix. There were/are no codes. There is nothing to fix. Vehicle has been driven 7,000 miles since computer reset. Thank goodness that South Carolina does not require emissions and I own property there. Believe it or not you can actually call SCDMV and speak to a person that answers questions. I was able to register vehicle down there via mail. Received plates in less than a month.

How is a mechanic going to fix something that has not thrown a code?

I forgot to mention, it was only a requirement in some counties. The most urbanized counties.
    I never had to get one. That being said, I'm a bit shocked at this. I'm waiting for the other shoe to come down. This doesn't sound like today's Washington State at all.
    "The Patriarch"

emission are nothing more than to get people to buy new cars that have a warranty , you only have to make payments for 6 yrs , most have only a 3 yr warranty .

i have a 1997 nissan 240sx ( had for 8 yrs ) , it has a evap purge valve under the intake manifold , took it to a dealer to see how much to change the part , he checked his book , said 6 1/2 hrs at $125/hr , that's $800 plus part cost ($175 ) , i changed it myself w/o pulling the intake 1 1/2 hours .

ROLLBACK Kudos To Washington State

This makes so much sense that that its almost scary .

Emission standards are so over the top high these days, we've come a long way.
    The state knows what is on the road, its not like the bulk of car owners
    are hacking their systems and frgn up the atmosphere, inherent compliance
    and maintenance of the emission systems is pretty much built in.
    We need to dismantle so much of our bureaucracy and agencies, which would
    go along way toward cutting down our deficit spending.
    Last edited by Stratovarious; 01-24-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    This is great news. Just today I had to get a *!^!F*% smog check. It’s ridiculous. The state does it to get their damn $8 fee, but then you have to pay the station $40, and take time out of your day to do it. Complete waste of time and money. As WA says, cars are way cleaner now. I can see requiring a check when selling cars, but the every 2 year thing is nonsense.
    And that's not counting the cost of not being able to own cheap clunkers that can't pass those tests, or having to pay for expensive unjustifiable repairs when they do. Regulations like these have made it practically impossible for the poor to own cars that are affordable for them.

In one state I used to live in they required both emissions tests and safety inspections to be able to register a car there. I had a car that failed both and it ended up getting towed for being parked somewhere too long when I got a different car. I just told the tow company they could keep it rather than pay them to get it back. It was in usable condition, but nobody would ever be able to get it registered without paying for repairs that cost more than it was worth. This is just the kind of car that could be a boon to someone who needs transportation and doesn't have much money.
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 01-24-2019 at 08:45 AM.