Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dems Unveil Bill to Erase Puerto Rican Debt with Your Tax Dollars

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Dems Unveil Bill to Erase Puerto Rican Debt with Your Tax Dollars

Such generous people.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    $15 billion relief fund ÷ 3.337 million Puerto Ricans = $4,495 per resident. I look forward to the IRS giving me a nearly $5k debt forgiveness too.

I want a deal that emancipates Puerto Rico from US control, such as eliminate half their debt and sell the territory to spain or brazil or someone. I want all of our colonies sold off or liberated.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Warren is such a panderer. She better work on her terrible body language if she's going to be an effective liar in a pres run. From TARP Administrator to Banker Hater in 10 years and she still can't fix her 'tells' during interviews.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Warren is such a panderer. She better work on her terrible body language if she's going to be an effective liar in a pres run. From TARP Administrator to Banker Hater in 10 years and she still can't fix her 'tells' during interviews.
    Who is this bitch pandering to?

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    $15 billion relief fund ÷ 3.337 million Puerto Ricans = $4,495 per resident. I look forward to the IRS giving me a nearly $5k debt forgiveness too.
    I really dislike that, it makes it seems as we are separate from the USA. Why not Citizens, Americans, US citizens who live in Puerto Rico?
    F@ck, I’m like one of those, “use the correct pronouns to describe my identity” when it comes to this.

Quote Originally Posted by aGameOfThrones View Post
    I really dislike that, it makes it seems as we are separate from the USA. Why not Citizens, Americans, US citizens who live in Puerto Rico?
    F@ck, I’m like one of those, “use the correct pronouns to describe my identity” when it comes to this.
    Exactly.

As of January, the fed gov had given Texas two waves of payments for Harvey relief, totaling $51 billion.

https://www.click2houston.com/weathe...ricane-damage-

The governor has asked for 61 billion more:

The requests include:

$12 billion for the Galveston County Coastal Spine, part of the larger "Ike Dike," a barrier aimed at protecting coastal areas from hurricane storm surge.
    $9 billion for housing assistance in the City of Houston, which would help rebuild 85,000 single and multi-family housing units damaged by Harvey.
    $6 billion to buy land, easements, and rights-of-way around Buffalo Bayou and the Addicks and Barker reservoirs.
    $2 billion for "coast-wide critical infrastructure protection,” described as flood control and other mitigation projects around critical public infrastructure such as “power plants, communication networks, prison systems, etc.”
    $466 million for the Port of Houston to “create resiliency” and harden the Houston Ship Channel.
    $115 million to repair 113 county buildings in Harris County.
    2 billion has been approved, so far, for Puerto Rico.

There is no spoon.

Ask the IRS why it matters.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Exactly.

As of January, the fed gov had given Texas two waves of payments for Harvey relief, totaling $51 billion.

Now compare Fed taxes per capita. Just proves Washington doesn't care about Puerto Rico and is also responsible for the decades of mismanagement of the island territory. The sooner Puerto Rico becomes independent or annexed to another country, the better.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Don't get mad at me. From the Intercept article:
    ... The bill addresses that by creating a $15 billion taxpayer-funded compensation fund to benefit Puerto Rican creditors like residents, local businesses and banks, and union and public pension plans, as long as it is taken up within three years of enactment. ...
    So, in actuality, the math I presented above is actually way too generous. That fund isn't going to be giving free money to every Puerto Rican resident. Most of it is going to large business, banks and pension funds. Still, must be nice getting that free money. I thought govco might have learned a lesson about bailouts after the Tea Party backlash from the TARP era. Guess not.

Because despite whatever ridiculous legal status they might have, Puerto Ricans are not Americans. They are a foreign culture and state that has legal citizenship.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

They are going to have to do better than that. The last I heard the progressive P.R. government had ran them into $60 billion in debt before the hurricane hit.

Exactly.

The feds throw around billions like I do pennies.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Who is this bitch pandering to?
    Fat Cat Creditors and the poor widdle Puerto Ricans who are being terrorized by the imaginary White Devil.

Sanders & Warren are the white devil .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Fat Cat Creditors and the poor widdle Puerto Ricans who are being terrorized by the imaginary White Devil.
    If I ever run out of race card to play, I am definitely coming to u cos your deck must be stacked. Damn.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    Now compare Fed taxes per capita. Just proves Washington doesn't care about Puerto Rico and is also responsible for the decades of mismanagement of the island territory. The sooner Puerto Rico becomes independent or annexed to another country, the better.
    Oh, I agree 1000%.

(Don't faint.)
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    Because despite whatever ridiculous legal status they might have, Puerto Ricans are not Americans. They are a foreign culture and state that has legal citizenship.
    How foreign is it?

Ehhhh..... how about some REAL history?

In February 1898, Puerto Ricans had a lot to celebrate. After centuries of Spanish colonial rule, they had just become an independent part of Spain, complete with a Constitution and voting rights. But within only a few years, the U.S. would throw all that asunder, paving the way for Puerto Rico’s nonvoting territory status today.

It all started with the Spanish-American War, which began in the spring of 1898, when Puerto Rico was a Spanish territory. The U.S. invaded Puerto Rico not only because it was a Spanish territory, but also due to its interests in developing a sugar market there, says Lillian Guerra, a history professor at the University of Florida.

“When the Americans arrived, General [Nelson] Miles issued, very famously, a decree manifesto in which he promised to protect the life, liberty, and happiness of Puerto Ricans, and their property,” she says. “A lot of Puerto Ricans who were poor, who were working-class, who were peasants, took this as an invitation to side with the Americans in what was still a war against Spain.”

To support the U.S., Puerto Ricans began to attack Spanish-owned businesses and property. But “to their great shock and awe,” Guerra says the Americans did not keep their promises after they won the war, when Spain ceded Puerto Rico to the U.S. in the Treaty of Paris. The U.S. ignored the new, democratically-elected local parliament of Puerto Rico in favor of creating its own colonial system.

With the westward expansion of the 19th century, the U.S. established “incorporated territories” that could and did become formal American states—like the Colorado Territory. But in 1901, a series of legal opinions known as the Insular Cases argued that Puerto Rico and other territories ceded by the Spanish were full of “alien races” who couldn’t understand “Anglo-Saxon principles.” Therefore, the Constitution did not apply to them, and Puerto Rico became an “unincorporated territory” with no path forward to statehood.

In addition, the U.S. disrupted Puerto Rico’s coffee industry, implementing a sugar economy and creating massive poverty among the population. “Within the first 10 years of the U.S. occupation of Puerto Rico, U.S. sugar interests had pretty much taken over, and the Puerto Rican coffee class has been displaced entirely,” Guerra explains.

Puerto Ricans were outraged after the war. Instead of becoming citizens, Puerto Ricans were in limbo. “They didn’t even have a passport; they didn’t have any legal standing in the U.S. system until 1917.”

That year, Puerto Ricans became U.S. citizens under the Jones-Shafroth act—this way the U.S. could deploy them as troops during World War I (similar to how the Emancipation Proclamation legalized the Union’s use of black troops). The federal government believed that white people weren’t suited to fight in tropical climates because they didn’t have immunity to the diseases found there. Instead, the U.S. sent Puerto Rican “immunes,” as they were called, to defend the Panama Canal.

Although they were now U.S. citizens, Puerto Ricans could not vote for president or elect voting senators or representatives to the U.S. Congress. In fact, they still can’t.

Since 1901, Puerto Ricans have only been able to elect a nonvoting “resident commissioner of Puerto Rico” to the U.S. House of Representatives. Like the United States’ other territories of Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and American Samoa, as well as the U.S. capital of Washington, D.C., Puerto Ricans have no real representation in Congress. And unlike D.C., which gained the right to vote for president with the 23rd Amendment in 1961, none of the American citizens in these territories can vote for the president of their country.

“They have a voice in Congress who has no vote, not even on legislation related to Puerto Rico,” Guerra says. “So the result of that is that nobody cares about Puerto Rico, and its government is basically only in control of local financial matters and the distribution of aid that comes from the federal government as well as its own tax base.”

During the 20th century, various Puerto Ricans have sought to win complete independence for their islands from the United States. However, Guerra says that the federal government quashed these attempts through overt censorship and the repeated jailing of revolutionary leaders, like the independence movement leader Pedro Albizu Campo who was jailed in 1936 for organizing Puerto Rican workers.

“It’s still a country that is dominated by U.S. investors,” Guerra says. “And you should know that most U.S. companies pay virtually no taxes to the Puerto Rican state.” This combined with the local government’s massive corruption has created an economic crisis. In September 2017, these economic problems worsened with the devastating impact of Hurricane Maria, which will require extensive rebuilding.

Is there any hope for Puerto Rico becoming a state in the future? After all, the reason they’re not is because more than a century ago, a judge said that Puerto Ricans were too racially inferior to be a part of the U.S. legal system. Today, Justice Sonia Sotomayor, whose parents were born in Puerto Rico, sits on the highest court of law in the United States—the Supreme Court.

Just a few months before Hurricane Maria, Puerto Ricans actually voted in favor of a referendum for statehood. But unfortunately, it doesn’t matter how many Puerto Ricans vote for it. The only people who can incorporate the islands into a state are the voting members of Congress.

“It’s very unlikely that statehood will ever happen, at least not in our lifetimes, unless something in the political culture of the U.S. Congress shifts radically to suddenly embrace Latin Americans, Latinos, and Puerto Ricans,” she says. “And I don’t think we’re going that direction.”
    https://www.history.com/news/puerto-...-united-states
    There is no spoon.

Ehhhh..... how about some REAL history?

https://www.history.com/news/puerto-...-united-states
    Except that what I said has nothing at all to do with their history and everything to do with the nature of the Puerto Rican culture and people. I probably shouldn't have said "state", but instead "nation", which is an ancient concept, separate from its modern usage. The American nation-state governs Puerto Rico, but the two societies are very different nations (again, as per the ancient definition of the word).

Puerto Rico should never be made into a state. Better to give them billions in subsidy to become independent than integrate them as the 51st member of the union,

Except that what I said has nothing at all to do with their history and everything to do with the nature of the Puerto Rican culture and people. I probably shouldn't have said "state", but instead "nation", which is an ancient concept, separate from its modern usage. The American nation-state governs Puerto Rico, but the two societies are very different nations (again, as per the ancient definition of the word).

Puerto Rico should never be made into a state. Better to give them billions in subsidy to become independent than integrate them as the 51st member of the union,

Why?
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Why?
    Because he fancies himself a Jet and he's afraid of Sharks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

If they just plant some crops then they'd get billions from the Department of Ag bailouts
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

40% ($30 billion) of their $73 billion debt is held by people in Puerto Rico. Who owns the rest? https://money.cnn.com/2017/09/27/inv...ump/index.html

President Trump pointed out Puerto Rico's "massive debt" problems on Monday. Puerto Rico, Trump tweeted, owes "billions of dollars" to "Wall Street and the banks, which, sadly, must be dealt with."

In reality, most of that money is owed to everyday investors. Less than 25% of Puerto Rican debt is held by hedge funds, according to estimates by Cate Long, founder of research firm Puerto Rico Clearinghouse.

The rest of the debt is owned by individuals and mutual funds that are held by mom-and-pop investors.

"For the most part, Main Street America owns this debt," Long said. "It's not as though these are vultures circling around the island."

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    40% ($30 billion) of their $73 billion debt is held by people in Puerto Rico. Who owns the rest? https://money.cnn.com/2017/09/27/inv...ump/index.html
    So they, the people, DO owe billions in debt. Thanks for clarifying.

One word: PROMESA.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    So they, the people, DO owe billions in debt. Thanks for clarifying.

One word: PROMESA.
    In the same sense as you owing for the US government debt if you want to put it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    In the same sense as you owing for the US government debt if you want to put it that way.
    So the Fed/Gov should bail me out?

Why?
    Because, despite my crush on her, President Ocasio-Cortez isn't something I want to see happen. Puerto Rico becoming a state guarantees leftist governments until the union once again splits apart. Don't be surprised if there's a movement to make PR a state after the whole Maria situation finally resolves. These people know exactly what they're doing.

Because, despite my crush on her, President Ocasio-Cortez isn't something I want to see happen. Puerto Rico becoming a state guarantees leftist governments until the union once again splits apart. Don't be surprised if there's a movement to make PR a state after the whole Maria situation finally resolves. These people know exactly what they're doing.
    Only another 3.3 million communists added to the vote! Who wouldn't be for that?

She’s from New York, not Puerto Rico. Illegal aliens and their anchors will and do more harm to guarantee leftist governments. The apportioned representatives from sanctuary states and cities is far more worrisome than PR being admitted to the Union. They say that PR might have 2 Dem Senators, but it might have 1 of each, the electoral votes will be far less than California.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast