Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man who resigned from $150,000/year job

Man who resigned from $150,000/year job

I saw a TV program about a 42 years old man who resigned from his $150,000/year job.

He went with his family to the countryside and took up farm work so that they become self reliant. He has pigs, hens etc.. on his farm and grows vegetables on land near his home.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Watch the documentary series:

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Around these parts we have SloMo. Southern farm boy becomes doctor (neurologist), making hundreds of thousands. Mansion. Fancy cars. Dumped it all for a tiny apartment and now skates (in slow motion- hence his nickname) along the boardwalk listening to classical music- greeting everybody and putting a smile on their faces. Slow down and "cheer for the one person who got away". He is simply doing what he wants to. Now in his 70's, he has been at this for 20 years now.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 11-24-2018 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Around these parts we have SloMo. Southern farm boy becomes doctor (neurologist), making hundreds of thousands. Mansion. Fancy cars. Dumped it all for a tiny apartment and now skates (in slow motion- hence his nickname) along the boardwalk listening to classical music- greeting everybody and putting a smile on their faces. Slow down and "cheer for the one person who got away". He is simply doing what he wants to. Now in his 70's, he has been at this for 20 years now.

Normally, I'd say good for him.

But at some point, we may need to ask ourselves: do you want a neurologist or an eccentric roller blader to remove your brain tumor?

(Yes, I did watch the video and know he was suffering from an ailment that affected his work)

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Normally, I'd say good for him.

But at some point, we may need to ask ourselves: do you want a neurologist or an eccentric roller blader to remove your brain tumor?

(Yes, I did watch the video and know he was suffering from an ailment that affected his work)
    It did force him to look at what was important in life- living or pursuing money.

It did force him to look at what was important in life- living or pursuing money.
    Maybe he should have approached it as: "My work is a vital and critical part of health care that can only be performed by a few people. That's why it pays so well."

Well I hope the taxpayers didn't fund his education.. And he may have taken someone's spot in school who wanted to do it longer.

There is nothing wrong w ppl making a lot of money, that just means they are providing a lot of value to society. Leftists love to celebrate not making money for some reason.

On the other hand, ppl have the right to make less money too.
    Last edited by dannno; 11-24-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Maybe he should have approached it as: "My work is a vital and critical part of health care that can only be performed by a few people. That's why it pays so well."
    So he should not have retired?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That is a moral question.

How important is it to help other people and make the world a better place?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    That is a moral question.

How important is it to help other people and make the world a better place?
    "I am sorry sir, your freedom of choice does not apply in this matter. In its unfailing wisdom, the government has declared you too valuable to society for us to allow you to retire."

"I am sorry sir, your freedom of choice does not apply in this matter. In its unfailing wisdom, the government has declared you too valuable to society for us to allow you to retire."
    Funny, I didn't see anyone in this thread say anything about forcing him to do the right thing.

Ah, yes, that is how YOUR mind always works.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Leftists love to celebrate not making money for some reason.
    Because the leftist ideal is to remain a child forever, producing nothing and depending on everyone else or nature for your needs.
    It is the ultimate selfishness.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    On the other hand, ppl have the right to make less money too.
    His rights and whether or not he did the right thing are not the same question.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Funny, I didn't see anyone in this thread say anything about forcing him to do the right thing.

Ah, yes, that is how YOUR mind always works.
    So the "right thing" was not to retire. Who decides?

So the "right thing" was not to retire. Who decides?
    GOD.

But the rest of us a free to make armchair opinions based on our moral compasses.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

GOD.

But the rest of us a free to make armchair opinions based on our moral compasses.
    What does God say about retirement?
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 11-24-2018 at 10:42 PM.

What does God say about retirement?
    Matthew
    Chapter 25

14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
    15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
    16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
    17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.
    18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.
    19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
    20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
    21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
    22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
    23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
    24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
    25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
    26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
    27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
    28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
    29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
    30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
    31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
    32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
    33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
    34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
    35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
    36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
    37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
    38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
    39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
    40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
    41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
    42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
    43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
    44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
    45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
    46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Naturally we are allowed to spend some time on ourselves and perhaps even retire completely at some age but idleness is a vice.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ezekiel 16:49

“Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.”

King James Version (KJV)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

His eyesight was failing which was preventing him from performing his job and that upon reflection felt that his job was interfering with his personal and spiritual lives. He did not hide his talents.

Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."

His eyesight was failing which was preventing him from performing his job and that upon reflection felt that his job was interfering with his personal and spiritual lives. He did not hide his talents.
    Could he have done something else productive and useful?

Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."
    Poverty isn't virtuous, charity is:

Matthew
    Chapter 19

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
    23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
    24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
    25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
    26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

So at what point would you retire? Never? Only if completely disabled (but even Steven Hawking was able to do something despite being physically capable of nothing)? Is any retirement immoral? Should you work until you drop dead?
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 11-24-2018 at 10:57 PM.

So at what point would you retire? Never? Only if completely disabled (but even Steven Hawking was able to do something despite being physically capable of nothing)? Is any retirement immoral?
    That would depend on many factors but it won't be in my 50's if I can possibly avoid it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That would depend on many factors but it won't be in my 50's if I can possibly avoid it.
    That is your choice. This was his. Does that make you more "moral" than he is?

That is your choice. This was his. Does that make you more "moral" than he is?
    It may, I have my opinion and GOD will judge.

The scriptures give us a hint about how he is likely to judge in the absence of unknown factors.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It may, I have my opinion and GOD will judge.

The scriptures give us a hint about how he is likely to judge in the absence of unknown factors.
    "Judge not lest ye be judged".

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He he.. I love it when the trolls fight each other. Carry on.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

"Judge not lest ye be judged".
    GOD will make the final judgement but we are commanded to make judgements that we may better choose our own actions.

John 7:24

“Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.”

King James Version (KJV)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I love the topic!

Maybe not...I'm not sure how debilitating his medical condition was.

Of course, he's free to do whatever he wants, that is one of the benefits of living in a (just barely) free society.

The society that the New Bolsheviks are building won't allow that option.

The old USSR had a constitution that guaranteed everybody a job.

And it was assumed you would work until you died or made it to a meager pension.

A meager pension that millions were relying on when the USSR collapsed.

Many of those people then died.

That's the world these $#@! Marxists, Bolsheviks and Jacobins are trying to re-create.

Most of whom weren't even alive when the USSR existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsback View Post
    I saw a TV program about a 42 years old man who resigned from his $150,000/year job.

He went with his family to the countryside and took up farm work so that they become self reliant. He has pigs, hens etc.. on his farm and grows vegetables on land near his home.
    I would not accept a job for 150K .
    Do something Danke

When I was young I could have chosen wealth. Instead I chose to live low on the food chain depending on myself. I am a simple person when it comes to material things. I prefer chopping wood and growing a garden to being out in the world grinding out a living putting up with mounds of BS. I think in terms of what do I really need and decided that is also what I want. I have what I need. I see many people who have a lot of material wealth but they are not happy.

I don't like rules and regulations too much and everything I have been educated for has been so highly regulated that I just can't do it anymore with the exception of art and music. I occasionally craft a piece of art that I either sell or give away or restore a piece of art or an antique if I need the money for something. I like working hard in my garden and the wood pile. It keeps me strong. I like it when someone tells me I look 40 instead of 65 I tell them I am getting younger since I stopped believing in BS. Stress does kill I chose to walk with the Lord on my little hill at the end of a dirt road. My husband worked very hard he was 5 years younger than me and he is dead. I used to ask him to slow down. I gave everything he had worked for to his children. I kept what has always been mine. I let the weeds grow up high at the front of my property I don't care what the neighbors think about it. I love my life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast