Thread: Libertarian vs Republican: How Different are these Two Political Groups?

Libertarian vs Republican: How Different are these Two Political Groups?

Are Republicans and Libertarians two peas in a pod?

Political commentators have led many students of American politics to believe that the two groups have tons in common. After all, they usually want to keep the government’s greedy paws from people’s checkbooks and don’t like the idea of politicians spending like drunken sailors.

At a surface level, these political factions’ shared beliefs on limited government, free market principles, and individual responsibility makes said alliance a no-brainer. So, what’s the hold up?

In politics, it’s wise for us to not assume too much. These two factions part ways on questions of national security, civil liberties, and certain economic issues such as central banking. As a result, there lie fundamental differences between the two groups, which lead them to form distinct political organizations to further advance their goals.

What is a Libertarian?

One must remember that libertarianism did not emerge in a vacuum. It is ultimately the product of centuries of classical liberal thought and arguably the logical conclusion of classical liberalism.

A desire to uphold individual liberties and the freedom of association are hallmarks of any serious lover of liberty. These characteristics make liberty supporters firm opponents of the current state of affairs in Western politics. This is a time that is marked by big government, high taxes, big spending, and an activist defense policy.

Cutting taxes and burdensome regulations are how libertarians would handle economic affairs. Freeing the economy from state control allows for business to expand their operations and hire more people, thus raising living standards. Conservatives in the Republican Party largely agree with this position on taxes as well.

From the liberty perspective, economic subsidies that prop up certain industries are wasteful and reward inefficient industries that could potentially be corrupted by constant government injections of money. The free-market advocate believes that people can manage their own lives without the government holding their hands. Similarly, the conventional right-winger is in agreement with this take on subsidies.

On education, libertarians believe that the state plays too much of a role. Instead, market forces should shape the way education is delivered. In their view, the current education model favors administrators and bureaucrats. Parents and children are completely left out of the equation, while the state shapes the way education is administered.

Reforms such as school choice, making it easier to set up private schooling initiatives by removing barriers to entry, and allowing homeschooling to operate without much interference are the best ways to tackle this problem.

What is a Republican?

The modern-day Republican Party traces its origins to the presidency of Abraham Lincoln, who sought to preserve the Union in a time of great sectional strife. Its origin was more pragmatic in nature, dealing with a Civil War that threatened the integrity of the American state.

Since then, conservatism has evolved into a philosophy that is skeptical of radical change and seeks to nominally preserve America’s traditional system of limited government. Additionally, the party of Lincoln tends to favor traditional values such as the sanctity of life and traditional marriage. Some factions of conservatism would go as far as to have the state enforce these values

Conservatives are in favor of markets, but in a generic sense. They want to reform policies around the margin by pushing for tax cuts and having some deregulation here and there.

In reality, most on the right side of the spectrum do not seem enthusiastic about rolling back any of the expansions in government that activists during the Progressive Era, New Deal, and Great Society brought about. In a sense, they serve as a false opposition to liberal counterparts in the Democratic Party.

The Key Differences Between Libertarians and Republicans

The difference between a libertarian and Republican individual may look subtle but can actually be quite striking on the issues that have redefined U.S. politics over the last century.

A number of political commentators often quip that Libertarians are Republicans who just smoke weed. Such an interpretation does a disservice to the unique nature of the philosophy of liberty’s foundations.

But there are significant differences between the two groups that warrants scrutiny.

To continue reading Libertarian vs Republican, please visit Thought Grenades, the blog on Libertas Bella.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    These differences are well documented by me over the years . Republicans have bank accounts , jobs , do laundry , dont live in basements and bathe daily .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    These differences are well documented by me over the years . Republicans have bank accounts , jobs , do laundry , dont live in basements and bathe daily .
    Oh, yeah? Well, I'll have you know that my mom's house doesn't even have a basement ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

I am laughing pretty hard at this. With just one post oyarde has managed to start this thread's death spiral.

Lol. That is a much more succinct breakdown than the one we created, and arguably just as accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by libertasbella View Post
    Lol. That is a much more succinct breakdown than the one we created, and arguably just as accurate.
    LOL. I knew there was something missing!

Libertarians tend to be their own worst enemies, that much I know.

I first recoiled when Michael Malice referred to libertarians as "autists," but I completely understand where he's coming from after thinking about it a bit more.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!