Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus: Trump to hold press conference 1:30 ET, Washington state confirms first US death

Coronavirus: Trump to hold press conference 1:30 ET, Washington state confirms first US death

Coronavirus live updates: Trump to hold press conference, Washington state confirms first US death

Published Sat, Feb 29 2020
    Emma Newburger

President Donald Trump holds a news conference with members of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC) on the COVID-19 outbreak at the White House on February 26, 2020.
    Andrew Caballero-Reynolds | AFP | Getty Images

This is a live blog. Please check back for updates.
    All times below are in Eastern Standard time.

• Total confirmed cases: More than 85,000
    • Total deaths: At least 2,933

1:13 pm: Washington state confirms first US death from coronavirus

The U.S. reported on Saturday its first death from the coronavirus in Washington state. Jamie Nixon, a public information officer with the Washington State Department of Health, said that a patient in the state has died from the infection. A news conference will be held by officials in King County at 4:00 pm EST. --Newburger

12:57 pm: Wall Street Journal owner News Corp halts all nonessential business travel

News Corp has halted nonessential business travel for its employees as of yesterday due to concerns over the coronavirus outbreak, a spokesperson confirmed to CNBC.

“I can confirm that as of yesterday we have made the decision that all News Corp employees should avoid non-essential business travel until further notice,” the spokesperson said. -- Newburger

12:06 pm: Trump to hold White House press conference on latest developments

President Donald Trump announced he will hold a 1:30 pm ET press conference at the White House on the latest coronavirus developments. -- Kimball
    cnbc.com/2020/02/29/coronavirus-live-updates-france-bans-large-gatherings.html

Updates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgylp3Td1Bw

Japan closes schools for a month, US-S. Korea joint military exercises halted

Italy to close all schools and universities for two weeks as coronavirus death toll rises
    Wed, Mar 4 2020

Washington District Shuts Down All Schools to Slow Deadly Coronavirus Outbreak
    Updated Mar. 05, 2020
    REUTERS
    Is this a sign of things to come? A school district in Washington has decided to close down all its schools in an attempt to slow the spread of the coronavirus. Washington is by far the worst hit state in the U.S., with 39 confirmed or presumptive positive cases, including 10 deaths. The Seattle Times reports that all Northshore public schools will be closed Thursday, and will stay closed for up to two weeks, as state authorities desperately try to limit the outbreak.

March 5, 2020
    What states have declared coronavirus emergencies?

These are the states that have declared an emergency:

Washington
    Gov. Jay Inslee, D-Wash., declared a state of emergency on Saturday just hours after his state saw the first death from coronavirus in the U.S. Currently, the virus has killed 10 in the state and infected at least 39 others.
    Facebook and Amazon announced this week that two of their employees have tested positive for COVID-19.

Florida
    Gov. Ron DeSantis, R-Fla., declared a public health emergency after two residents in separate counties tested “presumptively positive” for coronavirus on Sunday.
    State health officials have confirmed at least eight cases of the virus tied to Florida, but one of them -- a Florida resident -- has been in Washington since contracting the virus and has not stepped foot in Florida since testing positive, DeSantis said at a press conference Wednesday.
    A California resident who tested positive is self-isolating near the Tampa Bay area.

California
    Gov. Gavin Newsom, D-Calif., declared a state of emergency Wednesday afternoon just hours after the state confirmed its first death due to coronavirus. California officials said there are 53 confirmed cases of the virus in the state.
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/what-stat...us-emergencies

Related

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coron...000023845.html

“Most influenza pandemics last two to three years,” said Peter White, a professor of virology at the University of New South Wales. “That’s how long it takes before herd immunity is built up.”

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

WATCH LIVE: President Trump to give update on coronavirus

Starts @ 10:00

Face masks? "Always good to be prepared, but we are super prepared."
    Last edited by RonZeplin; 02-29-2020 at 01:52 PM. Reason: complete video replay
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Well, I guess we found the secret to getting Trump to do a press conference: Stocks.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Well, I guess we found the secret to getting Trump to do a press conference: Stocks.
    re the FED "we should have the lowest rates in the world"? I dunno Bubba Don, sounds BAD.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Incoming people that are going to freak out and say that the coronavirus is going to wipe out the whole country.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mexico confirms first 2 cases of coronavirus
    February 28, 2020https://www.news4jax.com/news/2020/0...f-coronavirus/

H/T ss:

Trump: Administration 'very strongly' considering closing southern border
    President Trump said the administration is “very strongly” considering closing the southern border to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
    “We are looking also at [the] southern border,” Trump said when asked by a reporter at a White House press conference Saturday about the move. “We have received a lot of power on the southern border over the last couple years from the courts, but we are looking at that very strongly.”

At the press conference, Vice President Pence, who Trump announced on Wednesday would be leading the administration’s response to the virus, announced that the State Department would impose travel restrictions and advisories on Iran, South Korea and Italy, some of the countries hit hardest by the virus.

Not clear if this would materialize, past statements have not always.

Trump: I want to scrap all H1B visas
    10-02-2018

US approves more H-1B visas this year

Oct 14, 2019

• US has approved a higher number of H-1B applications this year
    • 3.89 lakh applications were approved for the fiscal 2019, up from last year's 3.35 lakh
    But situation is changing that could lead to changes possibly.

Drudge Report:
    SPY AGENCIES MONITOR INDIA
    WASHINGTON, Feb 27 (Reuters) - U.S. intelligence agencies are monitoring the global spread of coronavirus and the ability of governments to respond, sources familiar with the matter said on Thursday, warning that there were concerns about how India would cope with a widespread outbreak.

Related

Christ's birthplace in Bethlehem quarantined...
    Saudi empties Islam's holiest site...
    World braces for months of trouble...
    Mortgage Rates All-time Low...
    Singapore: Lying about where you've been gets 6 months of jail...

Coronavirus Update, Map as Death Toll Hits 3,300, India Sees Spike in Cases Amid Outbreak Fears
    By Soo Kim On 3/5/20
    COVID-19 virus cases continue to climb, with the U.S. reporting its first death in California, while Washington state reported its tenth death on Wednesday. Cases continue to soar in Italy, which ordered the closure of all schools, while India has seen a surge in cases. Hong Kong reported what is believed to be the first human-to-animal transmission of the virus after a dog tested positive.
    The virus, which was first detected in China's Wuhan city in the Hubei province, has infected at least 95,748 people and claimed the lives of 3,286 globally, according to the latest figures from Johns Hopkins University.

Modi- Trump Bonhomie | 5 Hugs in One Day
    Feb 24, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbCS0yVs3vE

March 4, 2020
    Avoiding hugs, OPEC officials greet with their feet amid virus outbreak

VIENNA (Reuters) - When OPEC ministers descend on Vienna to decide oil production policy, their meetings are usually accompanied by displays of brotherhood between the men in charge of a third of global crude supplies.

reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-opec-meeting/avoiding-hugs-opec-officials-greet-with-their-feet-amid-virus-outbreak-idUSKBN20R1VL

But in the memo, Navarro had privately urged the White House to impose a travel ban on China. The White House imposed restrictions on -- but did not ban -- travel from mainland China onJanuary 31, two days after the memo circulated.
    In a statement to CNN regarding his CNBC appearance, Navarro said, "A question about agricultural purchase commitments is clearly not my lane."
    At the White House coronavirus briefing Tuesday, Trump said he didn't know about Navarro's memos until a few days ago and still hadn't read it.
    "He wrote a memo and he was right and I haven't seen the memo," the President said. "I will see it later on, after this. But it didn't matter whether I saw or not, because I acted on my own. I guess I had the same instincts as Peter."
    In Navarro's second memo, dated February 23, he urged for immediate funding to "minimize economic and social disruption."
    "Any member of the Task Force who wants to be cautious about appropriating funds for a crisis that could inflict trillions of dollars in economic damage and take millions of lives has come to the wrong administration," Navarro wrote.
    But at a press gaggle on February 24, Navarro assured that coronavirus was "nothing to worry about for the American people" under Trump's leadership.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/10/polit...rus/index.html

February 23, 2020
    Trump heads to India for a giant rally

03-24-2020
    India to enter 'total lockdown' after spike in coronavirus cases

April 6, 2020
    Odd number in India coronavirus testing data sparks questions

Alexandra Ulmer
    MUMBAI (Reuters) - A statistical oddity in India’s new coronavirus testing numbers has sparked questions about the country’s data management.
    Every day for over a week in late March, government data on the difference between the number of overall samples tested and number of individuals tested remained exactly the same - 890.
    That is despite both sets of numbers increasing every day.
    While the number of overall tests will be greater than or equal to the number of individuals tested, given some people get re-tested, the repetition of the number baffled experts.
    “When it is exactly 890 (repeatedly), that needs further explanation,” said India-based epidemiologist Tanmay Mahapatra.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21O1UM

H/T Drudge Reports:

NYSE could close trading floor in coronavirus contingency

By FOX 5 NY Staff
    Updated 1 day ago

The New York Stock Exchange trading floor. ( NYSE )

NEW YORK - The New York Stock Exchange is preparing for the possible escalation of the novel coronavirus crisis that might include closing the trading floor in Lower Manhattan, according to Fox Business.

Should the outbreak of COVID-19 escalate into a global pandemic, as is expected, then markets and firms are concerned that traders and other employees might not be able to get to work.

"New York Stock Exchange is beginning to prepare for the possibility that the floor might not be able to open. It's a mixture of both humans and an automated trading system, computerized trading system," Charles Gasparino of Fox Business said on The Claman Countdown on Friday. "So they're planning for a possibility that the… floor traders, the brokers, the designated market makers can't make it in because they have to stay home."

Gasparino, citing his sources, said the NYSE will have "some sort of a test run" in a few days.
    >MAP: CONFIRMED CORONAVIRUS CASES
    fox5ny.com/news/nyse-could-close-trading-floor-in-coronavirus-contingency

Feb 28, 2020
    Six People From The Diamond Princess Cruise Ship Have Now Died From COVID-19 After Quarantine Failure

Six people from the coronavirus-stricken Diamond Princess cruise ship have now died from COVID-19. ... [+] AFP via Getty Images

On Friday morning, U.K. authorities reported the first death of a British citizen from COVID-19, the disease caused by the now-worldwide SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus outbreak.

The man, who has not currently been named, was a passenger on board the Diamond Princess Cruise ship and was made to stay in Japan for treatment after testing positive for the virus, as many other British passengers were evacuated last week. The other five fatalities from the ship so far are Japanese citizens.
    forbes.com/sites/victoriaforster/2020/02/28/six-people-from-the-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-have-now-died-from-covid-19-after-quarantine-failure/

Coronavirus kills 6 people in Washington state

Updated on: March 2, 2020 / 6:47 PM / CBS NEWS

Health officials in Washington state said Monday that four more people have died of the new coronavirus, bringing the state's death toll to six. The disease that emerged in central China was taking a mounting toll on American nerves early Monday. Stores in regions with COVID-19 clusters were selling out of basic goods as people stocked up.
    cbsnews.com/live-updates/coronavirus-outbreak-death-toll-us-infections-latest-news-updates-2020-03-02/

Thought there was some statement from Speaker Pelosi to not politicize this issue but some Dems may not be on the same page:

Trump's coronavirus strategy faces new scrutiny after second US death

Analysis by Stephen Collinson, CNN
    Updated 8:30 AM ET, Mon March 2, 2020

(CNN)The White House coronavirus task force is expressing "great concern" there will be more person-to-person transmissions of the disease after two deaths on American soil -- a message that strongly contrasts with President Donald Trump's earlier rosy forecasts about the situation.

Top administration officials are also going out of their way to show they are ramping up to counter the widening threat as new cases spring up from coast to coast. Trump, for instance, says he plans to meet leaders from the pharmaceutical industry at the White House on Monday to discuss the search for a vaccine. "Progress being made!" the President tweeted. Vice President Mike Pence, who is heading the task force, plans a late afternoon televised briefing.

But Democratic presidential candidates, led by former Vice President Joe Biden, are ripping into Trump for politicizing the situation. The President, his son and his conservative media cheerleaders had earlier claimed that criticism of the administration's efforts represented an orchestrated political campaign to bring him down.
    cnn.com/2020/03/02/politics/us-coronavirus-politics-donald-trump-joe-biden-washington/index.html

Live interview w/ Cernovich

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I see a cartoon being drawn:

Trump on the podium easing fears, wearing a surgical 'germ mask' ...

ha ha, just dumb humor, not bashing him.....would be funnier though to have this cartoon
    drawn for Bernie...

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    In latest news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fduo__o4AVY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxHS4_GkxUU

Related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgylp3Td1Bw

H/T Drudge Report:

Granted humor is good for healthy immunity but this issue seems to be gradually getting more serious and have not seen any political cartoons in news sampled.
    I'm not about to argue that it isn't serious, or frightening, to be sure, but I will mention that we lose 100 some a day in traffic accidents
    , 40 thousand a year, which I believe 30k are easily preventable, and doctors or medical professionals, are responsible from what I've read for 400,000 deaths per year , so that's what, 1000 a day. These issues barely ever see the light of day and good luck
    finding anything in MSM on it. We have 30 cases of corona in the US, how many deaths, 1 , 2, any , of course , I'm
    not really all that worried about is, cause I can get 30 cases of Corona now at about half price, thanks to those that are afraid
    it's a carrier.
    So yea, fk me, Im going to hell, I already know that, I'm not losing sleep.

Well I think all the borders should be closed. They say that an international flight attendant was responsible for spreading the AIDS virus. I would stay away from all public transportation.

I take my colloidal silver spray with me when I go out. I spray my whole face and hands before entering and after I leave. I have been doing this during the flu season for years and have not been sick for a very long time. I make my own with an inexpensive devise I bought several years ago. I give it to all my family and friends in their Christmas basket each year and for birthdays too. I have a friend who owns a health food store that says the stuff is flying off the shelves. They say it is on back order now.It is much cheaper to just make it. I may have to start making more myself so I can make sure that all the people I know can have some.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Iranian official, advisor to Supreme Leader dies from Covid-19

Virus ravaging Iran kills confidant of its supreme leader

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — A member of a council that advises Iran's supreme leader died Monday from the new coronavirus, becoming the highest-ranking official within the Islamic Republic's Shiite theocracy to be killed by the illness ravaging the country.
    The death of Expediency Council member Mohammad Mirmohammadi came as Iran announced the virus had killed at least 66 people among 1,501 confirmed cases. There are now 1,700 cases of the new coronavirus across the Mideast. Of those outside Iran, most link back to the Islamic Republic, which after China has the highest death toll from the COVID-19 illness caused by the virus.
    After downplaying the coronavirus as recently as last week, Iranian authorities now say they have plans to potentially mobilize 300,000 soldiers and volunteers to confront the virus.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Top NIH officials testify on budget amid coronavirus outbreak – 3/4/2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_yzwFO3_Co

Washing hands frequently is first line of defense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EQnqcIoCmY

Italy to close all schools and universities for two weeks as coronavirus death toll rises

Wed, Mar 4 20205:09 AM EST

Shocking moment man, 25, wearing coronavirus face mask is found passed out on packed New York sidewalk

Patrick Knox
    Mar 4 2020
    https://www.the-sun.com/news/488062/...york-sidewalk/

A man lies dead in the street: the image that captures the Wuhan coronavirus crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...navirus-crisis

House passes $8.3 billion emergency coronavirus spending plan

Published Wed, Mar 4 20204:51 PM EST
    Kevin Breuninger

Key Points

• The House passed a bill Wednesday allocating more than $8 billion in emergency funds to combat the spread of the deadly coronavirus.
    • The funding package, which provides more than $3 billion in vaccine research and $2.2 billion in prevention and preparedness efforts, was unveiled hours earlier following days of negotiations on Capitol Hill.
    • The proposal provides a total of $8.3 billion to combat the coronavirus outbreak. That is much more than President Donald Trump’s administration originally proposed.

Medics transport a person on a stretcher into an ambulance at the Life Care Center of Kirkland, a long-term care facility linked to several confirmed coronavirus cases, in Kirkland, Washington, March 3, 2020.
    David Ryder | Reuters

The House passed a sweeping bill Wednesday allocating more than $8 billion in emergency funds to combat the spread of the deadly coronavirus.
    The vote was 415-2.
    The funding package, which provides more than $3 billion in vaccine research and $2.2 billion in prevention and preparedness efforts, was unveiled hours earlier following days of negotiations on Capitol Hill.
    The emergency coronavirus bill will head to the Senate, where leaders there hope they can quickly bring it to a vote. If the bill passes that chamber, it will move to the Oval Office desk of President Donald Trump, who is expected to sign it.
    The $8.3 billion congressional spending proposal is more than three times the $2.5 billion the White House proposed last week devoting to the coronavirus effort.
    Senate Appropriations Committee Leader Richard Shelby, R-Ala., revealed the plan as the death toll from the outbreak in the U.S. rose to 11 people. California on Wednesday reported the first death in that state from the virus. The other 10 deaths occurred in Washington state.
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that at least 138 cases of coronavirus had been identified in the U.S.
    The fast-spreading disease, which is believed to have originated in Wuhan in China’s Hubei province, has killed more than 3,100 people and infected tens of thousands more around the world, prompting fears that a pandemic is imminent.
    cnbc.com/2020/03/04/house-passes-8point3-billion-emergency-coronavirus-spending-plan.html

Coronavirus Deaths Reported In California, Washington State; LA Declares Emergency

March 4, 202012:26 PM ET
    Bill Chappell

Fears of the virus have prompted shoppers to stock up on sanitizing options, leaving shelves of disinfectant wipes nearly empty at a Target store in Novato, Calif.

Updated at 4:20 p.m. ET
    The U.S. death toll from COVID-19 has risen to 11 people, after officials reported fatalities in California and Washington state on Wednesday. The most recent death is connected to a cruise ship that traveled from the U.S. to Mexico.
    Officials in Placer County, Calif., announced that an elderly resident has become the first person to die from the illness in California. The patient, who was not identified, had underlying health conditions, according to the county.

The patient tested positive for the coronavirus illness on Tuesday and "was likely exposed during international travel from Feb. 11-21 on a Princess cruise ship that departed from San Francisco to Mexico," according to a statement published on Placer County's website.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...s-in-13-states

Some conflicting Reports:

Trump: Administration 'very strongly' considering closing southern border

Trump: U.S. Won’t Close Border With Mexico as Coronavirus Spreads

The president gave his assessment during a roundtable event at the National Institutes of Health on Tuesday.

By Paul D. Shinkman, Senior Writer, National Security
     March 3, 2020, at 3:58 p.m.

President Donald Trump speaks during a briefing on the coronavirus at the National Institutes of Health Vaccine Research Center, March 3, 2020, in Bethesda, Md.(Evan Vucci/AP)

President Donald Trump on Tuesday said his administration likely would not try to close the southern U.S. border in a bid to contain the spread of the coronavirus, days after indicating that could be a possibility.

"We're not looking at that very strongly," Trump told reporters during a roundtable event at the National Institutes of Health Vaccine Research Center regarding the spread of the virus, which causes a disease known as COVID-19. "We haven't seen any great evidence of that area as a problem."

[ READ:
    9 Dead in Washington from Coronavirus ]
    The possibility that the U.S. would shutter its border with Mexico – halting transit that accounts for hundreds of billions of dollars worth of trade and hundreds of millions of legal crossings every year – followed reports over the weekend that the Trump administration would impose travel restrictions on Italy and South Korea. Those two countries currently have the greatest number of confirmed cases of coronavirus outside of China, where health officials believe the epidemic originated.
    usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2020-03-03/trump-us-wont-close-border-with-mexico-as-coronavirus-spreads

Related

Why pandemics activate xenophobia

The coronavirus is much more than a public health problem.
    By Sean Illing Mar 4, 2020, 8:50am EST

Shanghai Ballet dancers take safety precautions while in a training session at a dance studio amid the coronavirus outbreak in Shanghai, China, on March 2, 2020. vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/3/4/21157825/coronavirus-pandemic-xenophobia-racism

Quarantine Mike Pence

Begala: Trump will 'dump Pence' for Haley
    Longtime CNN political analyst Paul Begala predicted on Monday that President Trump is "gonna dump [Vice President] Mike Pence in favor of former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley" on July 16 when the Democratic nominee is slated to give his or her acceptance speech.
    The former "Crossfire" co-host "guaranteed" Trump will throw Pence "under the bus" because of his handling of the coronavirus, which the president tapped Pence to lead a task force on last week.
    “This is not a prediction. It’s a certainty.

California declares state of emergency after 1st coronavirus death

4:39 PM, Mar 04, 2020
    By: Mark Saunders

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KGTV) — California has become the third state to declare a state of emergency due to the threat of the coronavirus.
    Gov. Gavin Newsom told reporters Wednesday that the state is declaring a statewide emergency in order to take advantage of additional government resources. The declaration comes after developments that a California patient died of coronavirus after reportedly being infected on a cruise from San Francisco to Mexico from Feb. 11 to Feb. 21.

Coronavirus: US banks ready disaster plans: sources

AFP•March 4, 2020

JPMorgan Chase and other large US banks are testing emergency systems in case the coronavirus disruptions (AFP Photo/JUSTIN SULLIVAN)

New York (AFP) - Large US banks have begun testing crisis measures in case of a broader coronavirus outbreak that prevents staff from going to work, banking sources told AFP.
    JPMorgan Chase, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs and Citigroup have asked hundreds of workers to work from home as part of emergency preparedness.
    "We are asking some employees to work from home over the next two weeks just so we can test systems and remote access," said one person familiar with the process, characterizing the step as "typical contingency stuff."
    JPMorgan has undertaken tests at a disaster recovery site in London and two in the United States, in Brooklyn and the state of New Jersey, a source told AFP.
    Citigroup has undertaken a similar process in London and New Jersey, while Goldman Sachs has done tests at a site in London.
    "We have recovery sites and we continually test them," said a Goldman Sachs spokeswoman. "As you can imagine, we are enhancing our testing in view of the coronavirus."
    The banks want to be able to assure consumers that services won't be affected if employees must work from home.
    The companies have added computer programs to simulate remotely the systems used by financial traders, sources said.
    There has also been extensive testing of disaster recovery sites to ensure the same quality of service as at the office.

news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-us-banks-ready-disaster-plans-sources-183300327.html

Latest from Drudge:

Southwest Airlines CEO warns drop-off in domestic travel over coronavirus has '9/11-like feel'

4:09 p.m.
    Mounting concern over the new coronavirus outbreak has caused school closures and movie premiere pushbacks, and now the crisis' effect on the aviation industry is drawing comparisons to 9/11.
    Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly told CNBC on Thursday that the company has lost several hundred million dollars in a week's time thanks to a decline in bookings amid increasing fears over COVID-19. Kelly added that the drop-off was "noticeable" and "precipitous" and has continued declining on a daily basis.
    theweek.com/speedreads/900284/southwest-airlines-ceo-warns-dropoff-domestic-travel-over-coronavirus-911like-feel

White House Releases List of 'Top Tweets' Praising Trump's Coronavirus Response
    newsweek.com/white-house-releases-list-top-tweets-praising-trumps-coronavirus-response-1490239

Almost every gov official who has appeared on stage with POTUS in press briefings has made a point of praising Presidential leadership on this issue.

Trump better be careful with who he surrounds himself with. They may try to infect him with the virus.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Trump administration overrode CDC recommendation that elderly, at-risk populations not fly: AP

By J. Edward Moreno and Lauren Vella - 03/07/20

The White House this week batted down a recommendation from health officials that elderly people and those who are “physically fragile” not fly on commercial airplanes, an unnamed official with direct knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press.
    The AP reported that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) submitted a plan this week with the recommendation as a way to control the spread of the virus. However, administration officials reportedly ordered that particular provision of the plan be removed, according to the federal official.
    The Trump administration has since then suggested that those who are most susceptible to the virus not travel but, according the news source, has “stopped short of stronger guidance” laid out by the CDC.

The official in question spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity, as they were not authorized to speak about the matter.
    The federal official’s revelation comes as the disease continues to spread across the country, with cases now confirmed in Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia.
    The news also comes as Vice President Pence on Saturday spoke after meeting with representatives from the cruise ship industry, a section of the travel industry that has been in the news most recently due to the outbreak.
    The vice president was assigned as leader of the administration’s coronavirus task force and is in charge of messaging and media relations concerning the status of the virus response.
    Pence reportedly "narrowed" his focus when he spoke about precautions for certain populations, noting that "older people with serious health problems" should "practice common sense and avoid activities including traveling on a cruise line."
    Pence's press secretary, Katie Miller, said the AP's reporting "is complete fiction."
    ADVERTISEMENT

"It was never a recommendation to the Task Force. I look forward to Sunday morning hosts asking our medical professionals about it tomorrow," she tweeted.
    https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...n-that-elderly

Related

Coronavirus could be spread by air-conditioning and may be more contagious than previously thought, scientists believe after finding traces of the virus in hospital air-duct

• The rooms of three coronavirus patients were tested in a Singapore hospital
    • The room of a 'mild' infectee had trace amounts of the virus in an air vent
    • Concerns have been raised in recent weeks of the spread of the deadly coronavirus through air-conditioning units after many became ill on cruise ships

By Ryan Fahey For Mailonline
    Published: 12:34 EDT, 7 March 2020

Traces of the coronavirus found in a hospital air duct has led scientists to believe the disease could be spread through air-conditioning units, making it more contagious than initially thought.
    Swab analysis of rooms used by three coronavirus patients by experts at the National Centre for Infectious Diseases in Singapore suggest that the respiratory illness spreads easier than previously thought.
    An air duct connected to the room of one of the patients, thought to be only suffering from 'mild' symptoms', was found with traces of the virus, suggesting 'suggests small, virus-laden droplets may be displaced by airflows and deposited on equipment such as vents'.
    The research, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, comes shortly after it was reported that 142 Britons were reported trapped on a Princess Cruise ship anchored for patients to undergo testing, off the coast of California yesterday.

Pictured: File photo of an air-conditioning unit.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-thought.html

ITALY RESTRICTS QUARTER OF POPULATION
    TRAVEL CHAOS

Outbreak spreads to 32 states and DC...
    Inside Administration, Debate Raged Over What to Tell Public...
    Army suspends travel to and from SKorea...
    Sailor in Naples has Navy's First Case...
    Marine at Virginia base tests positive...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    H/T Drudge:

All people entering Israel must be quarantined

Patients No. 43, 44 and 45 were announced hours after the prime minister informed the public of his decision.
    MARCH 9, 2020
    All people entering Israel from abroad will be required to spend 14 days in home-isolation, the prime minister said Monday. The measure is effective immediately for Israelis and will go into effect for foreigners in 72 hours. "After a day of complex discussions, we have made a decision: Whoever arrives in Israel from abroad will enter quarantine for 14 days,” Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a video statement Monday as the 42nd Israeli was diagnosed with coronavirus. “This is a difficult decision but it is essential to maintaining public health, which takes precedence over everything.
    “This decision will be in effect for two weeks,” he continued. “At the same time, we will make decisions to safeguard the Israeli economy."The isolation requirement applies to both Israelis and foreign travelers alike. No non-citizens will be able to enter Israel without proving they have a place to stay out their quarantine.
    Italy expands lockdown, Israel tightens entry to halt virus

By COLLEEN BARRY and ADAM GELLER
    2 hours ago

People walk in an almost empty St. Mark's Square in Venice, Italy, Monday, March 9, 2020. Italian Premier Giuseppe Conte says he is restricting travel nationwide to try to stop the spread of the new coronavirus. Conte said Monday night a new government decree will require all people in Italy to demonstrate they need to work, have health conditions or other limited legitimate reasons to travel outside their home areas. (Anteo Marinoni/LaPresse via AP)

SOAVE, Italy (AP) — The battle to halt the coronavirus brought sweeping new restrictions Monday, with Italy expanding a travel ban to the entire country, Israel ordering all visitors quarantined just weeks before Passover and Easter, and Spain closing all schools in and around its capital.
    Even as workers in Beijing returned to their jobs and new infections in China continued to subside, Italians struggled to navigate the rapidly changing parameters of the nation’s self-imposed lockdown.

The fears fanned by the virus sent Wall Street stocks tumbling to their biggest drop since 2008, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average down 7.8 percent. Global oil prices suffered their worst percentage losses since the start of the 1991 Gulf War.

“Now that the virus has a foothold in so many countries, the threat of a pandemic has become very real,” said World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus. “The great advantage we have is the decisions we all make as governments, businesses, communities, families and individuals can influence the trajectory of this epidemic.”
    https://apnews.com/e1fe7ed2e111436c68c9673bee1c0d4c

Matt Gaetz made light of coronavirus by wearing a gas mask. Now he is in quarantine.

Congressman had just flown on Air Force One with Trump

Kim Bellware and
    Donna Cassata
    March 9, 2020 at 4:56 p.m. EDT

Days after Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) wore an enormous gas mask during a House floor vote on an emergency funding package for the coronavirus response, the congressman announced that he would self-quarantine for 14 days after coming into contact with a Conservative Political Action Conference participant who tested positive for the novel coronavirus.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...virus-florida/

Rep. Matt Gaetz wore a gas mask on House floor during vote on coronavirus response package

By Caroline Kelly, CNN
    Updated 5:59 PM ET, Mon March 9, 2020

(CNN) Florida Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz donned a gas mask on March 4 while he voted on a bill that would dedicate billions of dollars to combating coronavirus as concerns rise over the spread of the disease.

"Reviewing the coronavirus supplemental appropriation and preparing to go vote," Gaetz tweeted with a picture of himself wearing a gas mask while looking at a piece of paper before the vote.
    Reviewing the coronavirus supplemental appropriation and preparing to go vote. pic.twitter.com/wjJ4YY4VZz
    — Rep. Matt Gaetz (@RepMattGaetz) March 4, 2020
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/04/polit...ask/index.html

Mar 10, 2020

Updated: At Least 55 Colleges Have Canceled In-Person Classes (So Far) Over Coronavirus Fears

Lisette Voytko
    Forbes Staff

16 countries have completely canceled school as a result of the coronavirus outbreak, according to ... [+]

Topline: Harvard University on Tuesday joined about 55 other American colleges and universities in cancelling some or all in-person classes due to the coronavirus outbreak, one of the earliest and clearest signs yet of American life being significantly disrupted by the virus, as other countries have instituted dramatic quarantines and lockdowns.

Here are the schools that have made changes to their academic schedules:

• Along with Harvard, other Ivy League schools that have canceled classes or closed include Columbia University (including Barnard College) and Princeton University.
    • Also in California: Stanford University, UC Berkeley, UC San Diego, UC Santa Cruz, University of Southern California, University of San Francisco, San Jose State University, Santa Clara University and Palo Alto University.
    • In Washington State: University of Washington, Seattle University, Seattle Pacific University, Northeastern University Seattle Campus, Bellevue College, Bellingham Technical College, Cascadia College, Everett Community College, Lake Washington Institute of Technology, Pacific Lutheran, University of Puget Sound and Washington State University Everett.
    • On the East Coast: New York University, Fordham University, Hofstra University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Amherst College, Syracuse University, American University, Rutgers University, Skidmore College, St. John’s University, The New School, Touro College, Yeshiva University, Monmouth University, Rowan University, Stevens Institute of Technology, Sacred Heart University and the University of New Haven.
    • In the South: Rice University, Duke University, University of Florida, Vanderbilt University, Johns Hopkins University, University of Maryland in Baltimore County, Loyola University of Maryland, Stevenson University and Towson University.
    • In the Midwest and West: Ohio State University, Grinnell College and Midland University of Nebraska.

Chief critics:
    Some journalists and academics say that colleges asking students to move out of dorms—like Harvard did Tuesday—can place an undue burden on them. University of Birmingham professor Sarah Parcak said on Twitter that parents of college students should consider taking in American and international students who can’t otherwise get home during the closures.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisette...navirus-fears/

A quick overview of Trump's statements on the virus since January. As we learned yesterday he's known it would be a pandemic from the start.

https://therecount.com/watch/trump-c...dar/2645515793
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

POLITICS 03/25/2020

Senate Coronavirus Bill Prohibits Trump’s Hotels From Receiving Bailouts

Democrats pushed to ban Trump family businesses from cashing in on the Senate’s $2 trillion rescue package.

By Igor Bobic

WASHINGTON ― The Senate’s $2 trillion package aimed at reducing the economic damage caused by the coronavirus pandemic appears to ban businesses controlled by President Donald Trump and his family from receiving taxpayer assistance.

A provision in the bill prohibits businesses controlled by the president, vice president, members of Congress, and heads of executive departments from receiving loans or investments from U.S. Treasury programs. The prohibition also applies to their children, spouses, and in-laws, according to a summary from the office of Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.).

The measure was added in the portion of the bill aimed at helping distressed industries with at least $450 billion in loans. The massive fund would be controlled by the Treasury Department and could include bailouts to hotels, casinos, cruise lines, and the oil and gas industry. Since earlier drafts of the legislation included virtually no restrictions on how the money would be distributed, Democrats feared it would allow properties owned directly by Trump or his family to receive bailouts.

Asked about the matter on Sunday, Trump refused to say if he would bar his own company from receiving stimulus money to deal with the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

“I’ve learned, let’s just see what happens,” the president told reporters at the White House when asked about the Trump Organization. “Because we have to save some of these great companies.”
    Prior to assuming office, Trump announced he was leaving “total control” of his business to his children ― Ivanka, Eric and Don Jr. ― who would manage what he called a “blind trust.” The Trump Organization lists 11 hotel properties on its website.
    The Senate bill also includes some oversight over the $450 billion fund aimed at propping up struggling industries. Under the terms of the deal reached on Wednesday, an independent inspector general and a congressional oversight board will be in charge of scrutinizing the lending provided to big businesses ― similar to what was done for the 2008 Wall Street bailout a decade ago.

huffpost.com/entry/coronavirus-trump-hotels-bill_n_5e7af656c5b6d01bd1544cb5

Change ine a month with a sad milestone, Daily POTUS led taks force briefings now.

Coronavirus live updates: Trump to hold press conference, Washington state confirms first US death

Sat, Feb 29 2020

U.S. coronavirus deaths top 1,000 in single day, White House expected to recommend everyone wear masks

Matt Zapotosky, Isaac Stanley-Becker and John Wagner, The Washington Post
    Thursday, April 2, 2020

A pedestrian wears a mask in Washington on Thursday, April 2, 2020.

WASHINGTON - The death toll and economic devastation from the novel coronavirus reached staggering new levels in the United States on Thursday as officials reported more than 1,000 deaths from the pandemic in a single day and revealed that more than 6.6 million Americans had sought unemployment benefits in a single week.
    The White House is expected to urge at least some people across the country to begin wearing cloth masks or face coverings in public to dampen the spread of the virus. The potential reversal of earlier mask recommendations - which White House officials indicated Thursday were still being debated - signaled the seriousness of the outbreak and rising concerns in Washington about the effect it could have on millions of Americans.

https://www.thehour.com/news/article...y-15175763.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast