Thread: "For the People Act"

"For the People Act"

And while the shylls distract us 24/7 arguing Trump's unconstitutional power grab from Congress is just dandy, Congress is trying to unconstitutionally grab power from us.

This morning the House of Representatives rammed through their massive First Amendment-shredding legislation, H.R. 1.

The so-called “For the People Act” is really little more than a statist power grab designed to ensure the political Establishment can retain its control over the status quo.

H.R. 1, the “Establishment Protection Act,” as we call it at Campaign for Liberty, is chockfull of censorship schemes designed to shut groups like ours up – or shut us down!

Not only that, but it would force groups like C4L to publicize and release the names of our supporters, making them vulnerable to threats, intimidation, or worse from radical left-wing mobs.

I hope you know I would shut the doors of Campaign for Liberty in a heartbeat rather than turn over names and personal information of even ONE of our supporters.

But just because Republicans control the Senate certainly doesn’t mean you and I can assume this legislation won’t go anywhere.

Instead there’s never been a more important time to double-down!

Senator Tom Udall (NM) plans to introduce companion legislation next week.

In the past, one of the worst anti-First Amendment bills was sponsored and pushed through by the late-Senator John McCain.

You can guarantee statists are going to work hard to pick off the votes they need from Senators like Susan Collins (ME), Cory Gardner (CO), Lisa Murkowski (AK), and Lindsey Graham (SC).

That’s why I’m counting on you to sign this petition to your U.S. Senators urging them to publicly oppose H.R. 1, the Establishment Protection Act, and any other anti-First Amendment scheme introduced in the U.S. Senate.

After you’ve signed, please make a generous contribution to help Campaign for Liberty gear up for the fight ahead.

In 2010, the U.S. Senate came within one vote of passing the so-called “DISCLOSE” Act that would’ve forced organizations like ours to close our doors.

You and I can’t let it get to that point again.

So please, sign your petition to your U.S. Senators and make your most generous contribution right away!

For Liberty,

Ron Paul
    Last edited by acptulsa; 03-09-2019 at 12:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hey, we gotta stay focused on the ONLY really important issue; the imminent threat of Pedro coming here without documents and mowing lawns.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Hey, we gotta stay focused on the ONLY really important issue; the imminent threat of Pedro coming here without documents and mowing lawns.
    Because Congress nullifying the Constitution isn't as important as brown people possibly voting for people who might nullify the Constitution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Those damn immigrants, which one of them authored that bill, was it the roofer or the tranny?

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Because Congress nullifying the Constitution isn't as important as brown people possibly voting for people who might nullify the Constitution.

Trying to follow their "logic" gives me a headache. I anxiously await the purely predictable cheap shots that my comment will no doubt ellicit.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

But it’s anti-corruption and pro-democracy...

House Democrats just passed a slate of significant reforms to get money out of politics
    Democrats passed their sweeping anti-corruption bill known as HR 1. It’s already doomed in the Senate.
    By Ella Nilsen - Mar 8, 2019

House Democrats officially passed their massive anti-corruption and pro-democracy reform bill known as HR 1 on Friday. The bill passed on a final vote of 234 to 193.

The sweeping bill is aimed at getting money out of politics and increasing transparency around donors, cracking down on lobbying, and expanding voting rights for Americans by implementing provisions like automatic voter registration.

As they passed the bill that was their first priority of the year, Democrats were in a celebratory mood.

“HR 1 restores the people’s faith that government works for the public interest, the people’s interest, not the special interest,” said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. “It is fundamental to our democracy that people believe that actions taken here will be in their interest. That is what this legislation will help to restore.”

But the bill is already dead on arrival in the Senate, where Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has vowed he won’t bring it up.

“This is a terrible proposal; it will not get any floor time in the Senate,” McConnell told reporters on Wednesday. He said he instead wants to focus on banning the practice of “ballot harvesting,” where volunteers collect filled-out ballots and drop them off at polling places to be counted. McConnell referred to the state of California — where ballot harvesting is legal — suggesting the practice could be why House Republicans lost so badly in the state during the 2018 midterms.

Democrats were under no illusion that HR 1 would get a welcome reception from Senate Republicans or President Donald Trump, but they hope the message they are sending is one the public buys — that money and corruption in politics should be eradicated.

“It is a fight we will not end until we win it,” Pelosi said, adding, “we can save a lot of time by the Senate just agreeing to a vote.”

There’s some evidence to back this up. Recent polling from the PAC End Citizens United found that 82 percent of all voters and 84 percent of independents said they support a bill of reforms to tackle corruption.

HR 1 is Democrats’ attempt to deliver on that promise.

Here’s what’s in the final bill that Democrats passed

HR 1 covers three main planks: campaign finance reform, strengthening the government’s ethics laws, and expanding voting rights. Here’s the important part of each section, briefly explained.

Campaign finance

Establishing public financing of campaigns, powered by small donations. Under the vision of the bill’s main sponsor, Rep. John Sarbanes (D-MD), the federal government would provide a voluntary 6-1 match for candidates for president and Congress, which means for every dollar a candidate raises from small donations, the federal government would match it six times over. The maximum small donation that could be matched would be capped at $200. The most substantial change to HR 1 is this program now won’t be funded by taxpayer dollars as originally planned; instead, it will come from adding a 2.75 percent fee on criminal and civil fines, fees, penalties, or settlements with banks and corporations that commit corporate malfeasance (think Wells Fargo). Democrats are using this idea to push back on Republican attacks that taxpayers shouldn’t be subsidizing campaigns.
    “You’re saying look, these big industries that lean on our democracy and are also breaking the law — it’s very appropriate to take a tiny little piece, put it into a fund and say, ‘That’s how we’ll give more power back to everyday Americans,’” Sarbanes told Vox. “We’ve got some big corporations out there who are probably going to keep getting in trouble and having to settle cases, so I think it will be an ongoing and sustainable source.”

Supporting a constitutional amendment to end Citizens United.
    Passing the DISCLOSE Act, pushed by Rep. David Cicilline and Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, both Democrats from Rhode Island. This would require Super PACs and “dark money” political organizations to make their donors public.
    Passing the Honest Ads Act, championed by Sens. Amy Klobuchar (MN) and Mark Warner (VA) and introduced by Rep. Derek Kilmer (WA) in the House, which would require Facebook and Twitter to disclose the source of money for political ads on their platforms and share how much money was spent.
    Disclosing any political spending by government contractors and slowing the flow of foreign money into the elections by targeting shell companies.
    Restructuring the Federal Election Commission to have five commissioners instead of six, in order to break political gridlock at the organization.
    Prohibiting any coordination between candidates and Super PACs.

Ethics

Requiring the president and vice president to disclose 10 years of his or her tax returns. Candidates for president and vice president must also do the same.
    Stopping members of Congress from using taxpayer money to settle sexual harassment or discrimination cases.
    Giving the Office of Government Ethics the power to do more oversight and enforcement and implement stricter lobbying registration requirements. These include more oversight of foreign agents by the Foreign Agents Registration Act.
    Creating a new ethical code for the US Supreme Court, ensuring all branches of government are impacted by the new law.

Voting rights

Creating new national automatic voter registration that asks voters to opt out rather than opt in, ensuring more people will be signed up to vote. Early voting, same-day voter registration, and online voter registration would also be promoted.
    Making Election Day a holiday for federal employees and encouraging private sector businesses to do the same, requiring poll workers to provide a week’s notice if poll sites are changed, and making colleges and universities voter registration agencies (in addition to the DMV, etc.), among other updates.
    Ending partisan gerrymandering in federal elections and prohibiting voter roll purging. The bill would stop the use of non-forwardable mail being used as a way to remove voters from rolls.
    Beefing up election security, including requiring the director of national intelligence to do regular checks on foreign threats.
    Recruiting and training more poll workers ahead of the 2020 election to cut down on long lines at the polls.
    More: https://www.vox.com/2019/3/8/1825360...tion-mcconnell
    So included in this are provisions to control the FEC and the Supreme Court. Nice.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

'For the People' my a$$.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    'For the People' my a$$.

Hey, they just didn't say WHICH people. The elites are people too, barely.
    Chris

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Hey, they just didn't say WHICH people. The elites are people too, barely.
    ... if that.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows