Thread: moment of silence please.....thank you. [Merle Haggard RIP]

moment of silence please.....thank you. [Merle Haggard RIP]

MERLE IS GONE.....79.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

OMG....we've lost so many talented people this year. I see that today was his birthday, too. How sad.

RIP, Merle.

Merle Haggard, a contrarian populist whose songs about his scuffling early life and his time in prison made him the closest thing that country music had to a real-life outlaw hero, died on Wednesday, his 79th birthday.

His death was confirmed by his former publicist Jim Della Croce, who could not provide further details. Mr. Haggard had recently canceled several concerts, saying he had double pneumonia.

Unlike his friend Johnny Cash, Mr. Haggard didn’t merely visit San Quentin State Prison to perform for the inmates. Convicted of burglary in 1957, he served nearly three years there and spent his 21st birthday in solitary confinement.

Mr. Haggard went on to write “Mama Tried,” “Branded Man” and several other candid songs about his incarceration, all of them sung in a supple baritone suffused with dignity and regret. Many of his other recordings championed the struggles of the working class from which he rose. He became known as a poet of the common man.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/07/ar...t-79.html?_r=0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Go with God, Merle. Peace.

Last edited by donnay; 04-06-2016 at 02:40 PM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

~BUMP~

Last edited by donnay; 04-06-2016 at 03:24 PM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rest in Peace . I had no idea he was so young .

RIP. One of the greats.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Even if you are not into country music you know who Merle is.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Even if you are not into country music you know who Merle is.
    My friend Jimmy was friends with Merle Haggard. Said he was a really mean son of a bitch.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

If you guys haven't been following Merle recently, he released an album with Willie Nelson called "Django and Jimmie", it's excellent. (I especially like "Unfair Weather Friend" and "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright".

Friends, Merle Haggard was one of the last of an Old Breed. Are the Good Times Really Over For Good? Yup, probably. It's all going to Pot.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    This song reminds me of my dad RIP.

If Willy dies I wont get out of bed for a while.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    so much for a silent moment. RIP

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    My friend Jimmy was friends with Merle Haggard. Said he was a really mean son of a bitch.
    I bet he told you more also....I won't ruin people's ideas about him...he was a musical talent for sure
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    I bet he told you more also....I won't ruin people's ideas about him...he was a musical talent for sure

I have all respect for Mr. Haggard's music. I mentioned it not to ruin anyone's perceptions, so please forgive me if I managed to do that. It's just that most of the best musicians appear to have all manner of deep personal "flaws", which I think contributes greatly to the quality of their work. Look at some of the best writers throughout human history - miserable characters... angry, hateful, sad, depressed, oppressed, sadistic in some cases. Humans are indeed very curious creatures in that the more miserable, the more interesting they tend to be. Figure that one.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

RIP Merle Haggard 1937-2016

(mod merged)

So was Muskogee Oklahoma the only place Merle didn't smoke weed?

In 1969, the story goes, Merle and the Strangers were travelling through Oklahoma when someone, seeing a highway sign, remarked, “I bet they don’t smoke marijuana in Muskogee.” Twenty minutes later (the story continues), the boys—the actual writing credits are listed as Merle and Roy Edward Burris, the Strangers’ drummer at the time—had come up with the lyrics and melody of “Okie from Muskogee.”
    “Sometimes I wish I hadn’t written ‘Okie,’ ” he told me, somewhere in Florida. “Not that I’m ashamed of it. I’m not sure but what bothers me most is the people that identify with it. There is the extremity out there. I don’t know. It made people forget that I might be a much more musical artist than they give me credit for. I was indelibly stamped with this political image—this political, musical spokesman, or whatever. I had to play that song every night for eighteen years. And sometimes, out of a little bit of rebellious meanness, you know, I say I’m not going to do it. But very seldom. Your own songs become like living creatures. They are like children. They are individuals. You forgive them. God dang, you fall back in love with ’em, you know?”

Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 04-09-2016 at 12:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Go with God Merle.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Man, ever get one of those songs in your head and can't get it out? I found 40 minutes of great live music tonite. From '69:

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

He was a rebel... a great rolling stone interview from 2009.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ggard-20091001

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows