Thread: Panic as strong quake shakes Athens

Panic as strong quake shakes Athens

A strong 5.1-magnitude earthquake jolted Athens on Friday, knocking out phone connections, damaging buildings and causing power outages, as panicked residents rushed into the streets.State TV ERT reported that at least two people were lightly hurt -- a pregnant tourist and a young boy -- and at least two abandoned buildings in the capital collapsed, while several more suffered damage.
    "It was a very intense quake, we were terrified, everyone started coming out (of the building)," a young woman named Katerina told AFP outside the six-storey cosmetics store where she works.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/panic-strong-...151013114.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    For excellent info all things quake related, see Dutchsinse YouTube channel.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

I mostly follow earthquake live.

Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    For excellent info all things quake related, see Dutchsinse YouTube channel.
    Isn't that the guy who while claiming to be the best in the world at predicting quakes missed this one and California's biggest quake in 20 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Isn't that the guy who while claiming to be the best in the world at predicting quakes missed this one and California's biggest quake in 20 years?
    His record is better than anyone else.

When was the last earthquake you correctly predicted?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    His record is better than anyone else.

When was the last earthquake you correctly predicted?
    I don't claim to be able to predict them. Nobody can at this time. He can't either. He has predicted something like 500 of the last ten significant earthquakes.

I don't claim to be able to predict them. Nobody can at this time. He can't either.
    He can, you don't have to be 100% correct to make that claim, the weather man still isn't always right.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

He can, you don't have to be 100% correct to make that claim, the weather man still isn't always right.
    So what is his success rate?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So what is his success rate?
    I've heard it is somewhere around 72%, that's certainly good for a pioneer in his field.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I've heard it is somewhere around 72%, that's certainly good for a pioneer in his field.
    Link?

Link?
    I don't have one.

Do you have a link to something that says his success rate is low that isn't just an opinion? (because all you have given us so far is opinion)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I don't have one.

Do you have a link to something that says his success rate is low that isn't just an opinion? (because all you have given us so far is opinion)
    Why am I not surprised? He claims that the USGS is jealous of him and "hides" earthquakes. He counts those which don't happen as "success" because they are hiding them. Then you pick places where quakes are fairly common and that ups your "success" rate.

https://earthquake-report.com/2018/0...tific-circles/

The story of Dutchsinse (also called Fakesinse in scientific circles)

<snip>

Now, as we know how “scientific” his methods are, let’s have a look at his forecasts. Luckily Jamie (a Geoscience student from the U.K) has analyzed the forecast for the past week, issued on July 22.

Results: From 37 (!) issued forecasts, only four were a hit. Five, if we give him a large geographical tolerance. 5/37, this is far away from 95%, guys…

But Dutchy wouldn’t be the Fake King if he wouldn’t try to make it up a bit. So he goes back to one of his most used method: Claiming that forecasted quakes had really happened but were censored by USGS and all other seismological agencies. (He has other, “effective” methods like just claiming a quake was much larger than reported and therefore censored. But this is a different story.)

Can be seen in his video “7/29/2018 -- Global Earthquake Forecast”. He had forecasted a Magnitude 6 earthquake in Northern Iran. Nothing happened there. In the video he says a quake happened there but it was hidden, as it was the common case in Central Asia. Proof: None.
    YOU ARE ALL FAKE!!!!

To be honest: How will one ever be able to censor a large earthquake? Okay, even if there is a global conspiracy present that controls all seismological stations in the world, you may be able to stop earthquake recordings and this earthquakes may not appear in official earthquake list. A very theoretical and unrealistic (so extremely unrealistic scenario that i can’t find a word for it), but, however, possible.

BUT: An earthquake, Magnitude 6, in Northern Iran, would be devastating. Likely resulting in destroyed villages, towns and fatalities. Even if the world conspiracy would be so huge that all the news reporting about this event could be censored: The shocks would have been felt in Tehran, likely also in Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, etc. Websites like earthquake-report.com are using website traffic to detect earthquakes. Works this way: People feel an earthquake and google for earthquake information. Some of them may look at our website, which gives us a pageview. Our systems count these pageviews and if we see an unusual high traffic from one region, in this case Iran, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, we know that an earthquake has occurred. Impossible to miss a quake with this method. Plus: You would have hundreds of Social Media entries describing this quake. How do you want to censor people’s voices?

Just one of his methods to make up his … “science” though.

So, what’s missing to show that Dutchy really deserves the Fake King title?
    Let’s have a look at his new predictions for the next week. Because there is another trick Dutchy loves to use: Statistics.

You will agree that there are regions in the world where moderate quakes (M4 to M5) are rather common. Happening once a week maybe. And Dutchy, smart as he is, builds at least 50% of his forecasts from these quakes, which should statistically occur once a week or so. Usually a guarantee for a relatively high success rate, just by statistical coincidence, although of course not all of these quakes will occur every single week. That he nevertheless failed totally last week makes it even more… amusing.
    The rest of his forecasts regards regions, where his followers are interested in. So we can see it as some kind of clickbait, although statistically occurrence is unlikely in most cases.

Why am I not surprised? He claims that the USGS is jealous of him and "hides" earthquakes. He counts those which don't happen as "success" because they are hiding them. Then you pick places where quakes are fairly common and that ups your "success" rate.

Of course you trust the government.
    That's a biased source you are quoting.
    At least it wasn't snopes this time.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Notice that they didn't add up all his predictions, they cherry picked 37.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Notice that they didn't add up all his predictions, they cherry picked 37.
    Those were his predictions for the week. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1580...5949850240784/

Those were his predictions for the week. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1580...5949850240784/
    ONE WHOLE WEEK.

LOL

That's not statistically significant.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ONE WHOLE WEEK.

LOL

That's not statistically significant.
    You already admitted you don't have anything to disprove that count.

You already admitted you don't have anything to disprove that count.
    And you have nothing on your side.

You vehement opposition is evidence on Dutch's side all by itself.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I said for excellent info, he is a great source. I’m not specifically referring to his earthquake predictions, which are still better than anyone else I am aware of. He does a great job at monitoring seismic activity and trends and explains it in easy to understand videos.

He gets ridiculed and attacked by various agencies because he demonstrates through logic and science how man made drilling makes certain regions more susceptible to earthquakes, which is a no brainer actually.

But honestly, and I say this with all sincerity and seriousness to you Zippy, the fact that you popped out of your hole to castigate him just gave the guy even more legitimacy in my eyes. For this I am thankful.
    Last edited by TER; 07-20-2019 at 03:40 AM.
    +

Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    I said for excellent info, he is a great source. I’m not specifically referring to his earthquake predictions, which are still better than anyone else I am aware of. He does a great job at monitoring seismic activity and trends and explains it in easy to understand videos.

He gets ridiculed and attacked by various agencies because he demonstrates through logic and science how man made drilling makes certain regions more susceptible to earthquakes, which is a no brainer actually.

But honestly, and I say this with all sincerity and seriousness to you Zippy, the fact that you popped out of your hole to castigate him just gave the guy even more legitimacy in my eyes. For this I am thankful.
    Conspiracy theory 101: Any attempt to disprove a theory is cover-up and proof that the conspiracy is real.

Common sense 101: if a known and established shill, who constantly doles out fake news and the talking points of the liberal machine, tells you one thing, chances are very high that thing is a lie in order to deceive you.
    +