Thread: America is building up for a big nuclear war. Is that wise?

America is building up for a big nuclear war. Is that wise?

General Dynamics, locally known by old name Electric Boat (GD bought out EB a long time ago) are desperately trying to fill open positions.
    I've heard their ads on radio for months now. It's in the news everywhere. 4000-5000 new employees over the next few years.

The money is in the hundreds of billions for new submarines, warships and soon, missiles, to be build in Southern New England. The majority of workers come from Connecticut and Rhode Island. This is being called a "once in a generation" expansion. Groton CT has always been the main shipbuilding hub for EB, but the Davisville RI facilities are now growing in size. They support Groton and are also building a missile manufacturing plant. The standing orders for nuclear subs are endless. This rate of growth hasn't happened since the 1950's, they say.

Many young people who cannot find equivalent pay or benefits take these jobs that include full training in industrial skills and starting pay is higher than most places. The older workforce is at or nearing retirement age.

RI and CT governors are letting them recruit in schools. Personally, I think that's horrible.

When the best industry and job prospects only serve to expand the armaments of destruction, what is it telling us?

https://pbn.com/electric-boat-contin...ion-expansion/
    https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...tment/2985916/
    (and many other articles)

On the other end of the triad, our land-based nukes are also going through a major upgrade transformation called Sentinel. I don't know about you, but I don't feel more secure when this happens. I feel less secure.
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    According to Wikipedia GD had 106.500 employees in 2022. The 5000 extra employees you speak of is a growth of less than 5%.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    According to Wikipedia GD had 106.500 employees in 2022. The 5000 extra employees you speak of is a growth of less than 5%.
    You may read the links provided, because Electric Boat, which builds the nuclear subs, is only one subsidiary of the larger General Dynamics.
    The referenced growth is about EB's expansion, not GD entirely.
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

I don't think there are small nuclear wars.

https://www.thecipherbrief.com/colum...why-build-more

In the above article, Walter Pincus outlines the current US land-based nuclear weapons projects ongoing.
    It's a lot.