Thread: Trump admin announces plan for expanded hunting, fishing access across 1.4 million acres

Smile Trump admin announces plan for expanded hunting, fishing access across 1.4 million acres

In a bid to increase access to public lands, the Interior Department unveiled a proposal for new and expanded hunting and fishing access to 1.4 million acres in 46 states.
    The plan, announced Wednesday, would open 74 national wildlife refuges and 15 national fish hatcheries operated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to outdoor sporting enthusiasts.
    “Hunting and fishing are more than just traditional pastimes as they are also vital to the conservation of our lands and waters, our outdoor recreation economy, and our American way of life,” U.S. Interior Secretary David Bernhardt said of the news. “These refuges and hatcheries provide incredible opportunities for sportsmen and women and their families across the country to pass on a fishing and hunting heritage to future generations and connect with wildlife.”

In addition, the department plans to revise hunting and fishing rules at refuges in all states to more closely match state regulations.
    Last September, land managers of the Interior Department compared federal and state hunting and fishing regulations with a goal of streamlining policies in all 50 states; the review was the first of its kind for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
    “Well managed hunting and fishing are the backbone of conservation in this country, but inconsistent or overly complex regulations can act as a disincentive,” Service Principal Deputy Director Margaret Everson said in the Interior Department’s formal press release. “By aligning our refuge regulations with our state partners, we are reducing confusion and the regulatory burden on the American public, helping ensure the tradition and benefits of hunting and fishing can continue.”

One of the new refuges where hunting and fishing would be allowed is Green Bay National Wildlife Refuge in Wisconsin. Deer and elk hunting would be allowed for the first time at Seedskadee National Wildlife Refuge in Wyoming.

The Fish and Wildlife Service will accept public comments for 45 days on the plan, The Hill reports, with submissions to open at Regulations.gov.

Officials intend to finalize the proposal in September, ahead of the 2019-2020 hunting seasons.

More at: https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoo...rotected-acres
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why does a person need a permit or license to fish or hunt even on private land?

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Why does a person need a permit or license to fish or hunt even on private land?
    Because you don't own the wildlife just because it came onto your property. I am sure if you have a fenced off reserve where you raise and maintain your own wildlife, you can probably hunt whenever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Because you don't own the wildlife just because it came onto your property. I am sure if you have a fenced off reserve where you raise and maintain your own wildlife, you can probably hunt whenever you want.
    What about Pigeons?

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    What about Pigeons?

You mean flying rats? those are fair game. You kill em on sight and you get a payout for every scalp collected

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    If it is wildlife, would it not be wild and not owned by anyone?

Here you only need a fishing license to fish on public land . Hunting is much more complicated . The state and the feds recently doubled prices on hunting and fishing licenses ( state ) and duck stamps ( feds ) . Mrs O is 70 next year so this year I got her a lifetime senior for the same price of an annual under age 65 fishing license which is now 17.00 . It used to be the hunting & fishing was just around 17.00 . I was probably in my twenties before I ever had a license . Seems like if I recall the Fed duck stamp moved from 15.00 to 25.00 and they started at 1.00 . There is already a Pittman - Robertson 11 percent tax built into sporting goods which is excessive .
    Last edited by oyarde; 06-09-2019 at 12:55 PM.
    Do something Danke

If it is wildlife, would it not be wild and not owned by anyone?
    Should there be any prohbition to man made extinction? What if for example it was really profitable for someone to wipe out honey bees. Not saying I think this is a thing, just a possibility. Just look at that porkacolapse going on right now in China. What if that was man made and designed to damage the Chinese economy?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It is good the govt is expanding access to the people of the lands belonging to the people . A million and a half seems like there should be more coming too .
    Last edited by oyarde; 06-09-2019 at 01:10 PM.
    Do something Danke

In NH, for the most part, you do not.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    In NH, for the most part, you do not.
    If its all wild life, and there is no restrictions can I burn down the forest? What if some people just want to watch the world burn?

Seems silly to me that a person trying to catch a fish so he can eat dinner would violate a law and have his gear confiscated for not having the state sanctioned permit.