Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Starbucks in hot water for having cops remove two black men from Philly store

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    These guys had been there for literally minutes. These two men weren't smelly and hadn't been there for hours. The man who had set up the meeting was white. He obviously didn't think it was unseemly to go to Starbucks for the primary purpose of having a meeting
    Oh yeah. That was the primary purpose.

Actually, I heard they were just buying Skittles.

Just trying to find some Skittles to buy.

What a world we live in, where some Innocent, Wide-Eyed boys -- business boys -- cant' just share a bag of Skittles in peace.

“What did they get called for?” asks the man, Andrew Yaffe, who is white, referring to the police. “Because there are two black guys sitting here meeting me?”
    What an unbelievable coincidence! Good thing he just happened to show up at the perfectly opportune moment.

then freaking out when the "wrong people" actually take you up on that is simply not good business.
    YES! YYYEEEESSS!!! YEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!

Starbucks is incredibly racist and this incident was all about RACE! All baristas HATE black people!

Boycott Star Bucks Now! Stir up that usefully stupid mob! Ha, ha, so easy.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by H_H View Post

What a world we live in, where some Innocent, Wide-Eyed boys -- business boys -- cant' just share a bag of Skittles in peace.

What an unbelievable coincidence! Good thing he just happened to show up at the perfectly opportune moment.

Starbucks is incredibly racist and this incident was all about RACE! All baristas HATE black people!

Are you trying to be an ignorant and incoherent a$$hole or does that just come naturally? Just curious.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Are you trying to be an ignorant and incoherent a$$hole or does that just come naturally? Just curious.
    What are you trying to be?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    What are you trying to be?
    Myself. That's who I always am. Take it or leave it. I really don't care. I have consistently said in this thread Starbucks has the right to have what I believe are to be stupid business practices. I haven't delved into identity politics the way H_H was. I didn't call anyone racist. The guilty flee when no man pursues.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.

It is as systemic as your predictable response.
    Like calling Police on a Student in her own Dorm.. for being Black.
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/09/us/ya...rnd/index.html

And the Homeless issue is a red herring since it has nothing to do with any of these incidents.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    It is as systemic as your predictable response.
    Like calling Police on a Student in her own Dorm.. for being Black.
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/09/us/ya...rnd/index.html

And the Homeless issue is a red herring since it has nothing to do with any of these incidents.
    I do not have enough +rep to give this post.

I hope you see it @dannno and @Danke and @timosman and @Schifference.

I've kicked people out of the bar for not buying anything and I've told them they couldn't use the restroom but I've never called the cops on anyone. I've somehow managed to make people leave without help.

Black, white, homeless, gainfully employed....I didn't discriminate. You buy something or you GTFO.

Since I avoid Starbucks at all costs, I don't know their policy on squatters but calling the cops was excessive, unnecessary, and just plain dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Oh, and I got kicked out of a Chinese restaurant after I bought something for sitting too long, lol. I ordered Mongolian Beef, ate it, and was waiting for Mr A to pick me up when the mean little Asian lady who owned the place yelling at me, "You eat. You pay. You leave. No sitting." It was so funny, I couldn't even be mad.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I've kicked people out of the bar for not buying anything and I've told them they couldn't use the restroom but I've never called the cops on anyone. I've somehow managed to make people leave without help.

Black, white, homeless, gainfully employed....I didn't discriminate. You buy something or you GTFO.

Since I avoid Starbucks at all costs, I don't know their policy on squatters but calling the cops was excessive, unnecessary, and just plain dumb.
    Oh, and I got kicked out of a Chinese restaurant after I bought something for sitting too long, lol. I ordered Mongolian Beef, ate it, and was waiting for Mr A to pick me up when the mean little Asian lady who owned the place yelling at me, "You eat. You pay. You leave. No sitting." It was so funny, I couldn't even be mad.
    LOL. Great story! And yes, if a place has a consistent policy and uniformly enforces it, on the white/black/brown man/woman/undecided with the laptop/tablet/book/newspaper it's unlikely there will be any problems asking someone to leave who is violating the policy. I'm curious though. As a bartender did you never get someone who actually just wanted to order his/her drink once his/her friend arrived? I'm not a bar goer and never have been. But there have been plenty of times I waited at a restaurant for my friend to arrive before ordering.

LOL. Great story! And yes, if a place has a consistent policy and uniformly enforces it, on the white/black/brown man/woman/undecided with the laptop/tablet/book/newspaper it's unlikely there will be any problems asking someone to leave who is violating the policy. I'm curious though. As a bartender did you never get someone who actually just wanted to order his/her drink once his/her friend arrived? I'm not a bar goer and never have been. But there have been plenty of times I waited at a restaurant for my friend to arrive before ordering.
    Absolutely. If someone said they wanted to wait for their guest, I would bring them a water and tell them it was to keep other bartenders from bugging them. Someone sitting at a bar with nothing in front them makes it look like no one has helped them and, if you have decent staff, people start stopping and asking them if they need anything. And, btw, I worked in downtown Atlanta. I had every kind walk through those doors. Hell, I even had Grady patients wander in still wearing their hospital gowns.o_O

I watched an interview with the guys and a couple of things bugged me...

1) I was left with the impression the Starbucks employee didn't ask them to leave but just called the cops. That's $#@!ed up.
    2) The guys brought in their own water. WTF? Don't bring outside food or drink into a restaurant. It's $#@!ing rude.

I watched an interview with the guys and a couple of things bugged me...

1) I was left with the impression the Starbucks employee didn't ask them to leave but just called the cops. That's $#@!ed up.
    When the story came out, it was told/not disagreed: that the manager told them to buy something or leave, they refused, manager asked them to leave, they refused, the manager told them she was calling the cops then, they guys replied "I don't care". meh

I hope you see it.
    She was not sleeping in her dorm room, she was sleeping in a common area where apparently there are rules against sleeping. That lady would have called the cop on a white person sleeping in there too if they looked shady.

"This sorta incident breaks my heart everytime..." wrote one man. "Why do white folks always call police on black folks all the time why?!!!"

Hmm, I dunno, I wonder why..

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    When the story came out, it was told/not disagreed: that the manager told them to buy something or leave, they refused, manager asked them to leave, they refused, the manager told them she was calling the cops then, they guys replied "I don't care". meh
    Okay, I was watching an interview and their lawyer was sitting there. Maybe I didn't get the story.

I'm gonna call this one a draw.
    Starbucks manager was a giant douche for calling the cops. Assuming they were asked to leave and didn't, they were douches. Just goes to show ya, $#@!s are everywhere.

I hope you see it @dannno and @Danke and @timosman and @Schifference.

WTH?

What do these two incidents have somehow me not knowing that they were not homeless people? I just brought up the point that now homeless will find it easy to find shelter in Starbucks with their policy change.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Okay, I was watching an interview and their lawyer was sitting there. Maybe I didn't get the story.

I'm gonna call this one a draw.
    Starbucks manager was a giant douche for calling the cops. Assuming they were asked to leave and didn't, they were douches. Just goes to show ya, $#@!s are everywhere.

People choose their own attire and their own attitude. There are pro's and cons to going around looking and acting like a thug (no matter what color your skin). One of the pro's is that people are scared of you and tend not to mess with you. One of the cons is that people are scared of you and so you don't get to go into places like Starbucks and just "hang out" without buying anything.

If "Derek" walks into Starbucks, nobody is denying him the restroom key. "Pookie" on the other hand.. this has nothing to do with race.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/p87njw...tuff-can-t-win
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Every Starbucks I've been to, if people are just sitting around they always have one thing: a laptop or tablet or something. That means they can probably afford a coffee at some point so they don't get bothered.
    She was not sleeping in her dorm room, she was sleeping in a common area where apparently there are rules against sleeping. That lady would have called the cop on a white person sleeping in there too if they looked shady.
    Not sure what someone sleeping in a dorm room has to do with whether or not someone without a laptop looks homeless.

Not sure what someone sleeping in a dorm room has to do with whether or not someone without a laptop looks homeless.

I was responding to the article you posted about the girl sleeping "in her dorm" who had the cops called on her. She was not sleeping in her dorm room, she was sleeping in a common area that has rules against sleeping.

And in Starbucks people sitting around reading a book have bought something. People with a laptop, probably have, but maybe not, maybe they are using the wifi. But maybe they will get tired or thirsty or hungry, so no reason to kick them out especially if the place isn't full.. as long as they are being quiet and are fitting in with the atmosphere. If they are dressed up like thugs and putting off a thug vibe then they will probably get kicked the $#@! out.
    Last edited by dannno; 05-14-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    WTH?

What do these two incidents have somehow me not knowing that they were not homeless people? I just brought up the point that now homeless will find it easy to find shelter in Starbucks with their policy change.
    Under the old system all a homeless person had to do was dumpster dive for a broken laptop to take into Starbucks based on the @dannno rule. Or maybe panhandle until he got 5 bucks to buy some overpriced coffee and then just stay the rest of the day.

Should Starbucks provide free laptop rentals in exchange for clicking on ads? You've clicked on 100 ads, here is your free latte and a code to the restroom.

I was responding to the article you posted about the girl sleeping "in her dorm". She was not sleeping in her dorm room, she was sleeping in a common area that has rules against sleeping.
    I didn't post the article. You must be thinking about @pcosmar.

Edit: Just went back and read the article Pete linked to. You made assumptions not in the article. Just because one student claimed there was some rule against sleeping in the common area doesn't mean that's true. And likely it's not true. A rule against where a college student can fall asleep? Do you seriously believe that to be true?

Last edited by jmdrake; 05-14-2018 at 11:09 AM.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You replied to the article and what pcosmar said, and told me I should watch it!!!

Sorry, that sounded like a ringing endorsement of what pcosmar said to me. You can go back and read it yourself.

Should Starbucks provide free laptop rentals in exchange for clicking on ads? You've clicked on 100 ads, here is your free latte and a code to the restroom.
    Whatever rule Starbucks has should be enforced consistently regardless of whether or not you have a laptop or have on a suit or whatever. Don't give the world over the impression that you are a meeting space if you are not.

You replied to the article and what pcosmar said, and told me I should watch it!!!

Sorry, that sounded like a ringing endorsement of what pcosmar said to me. You can go back and read it yourself.
    It was a ringing endorsement of the point he was making that the issue isn't about homelessness. That said, your assessment of the article is lacking. There is no evidence in the article other than a statement made by the idiot that called the cops that there was an actual rule against falling asleep in the common area in the dorm.

Quick! Call the cops! A college student fell asleep without proper authorization!

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    your predictable response.
    You actually predicted this response?

I dare you to predict my next response!

Been called many things, but predictable isn't even... plausible!

Whatever rule Starbucks has should be enforced consistently regardless of whether or not you have a laptop or have on a suit or whatever. Don't give the world over the impression that you are a meeting space if you are not.
    What a frigging nazi you are. 100% consistency!

I haven't delved into identity politics the way H_H was. I didn't call anyone racist.

Oh! I guess I mis-stunder-ud.

[Starbucks] then freaking out when the "wrong people" actually take you up on that is simply not good business.
    "Wrong People." Wrong people. Hmm. Wonder what you meant by that.

What a frigging nazi you are. 100% consistency!
    Okay.....not sure if you are serious but okay. Just to be clear I think Starbucks has a right to make stupid business decisions. I'm not demanding free coffee or "sensitivity training" or whatever. I just think it's stupid to give one impression about your business but then operate it in a different way. You disagree? If so, why?

"Wrong People." Wrong people. Hmm. Wonder what you meant by that.
    You tell me. Why did you feel the need to bring up "skittles" in a thread that didn't mention them? Triggered perhaps?

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Edit: Just went back and read the article Pete linked to. You made assumptions not in the article. Just because one student claimed there was some rule against sleeping in the common area doesn't mean that's true. And likely it's not true. A rule against where a college student can fall asleep? Do you seriously believe that to be true?

Rules are not always made to be uniformly enforced. For example, it may be against the rules to sleep in the common area in a dorm. However if a student falls asleep studying they may not enforce the rule. They may only enforce it if somebody is posting up and purposely sleeping there.

There is this thing called the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.

People don't want people who are harassing or bother customers in their store. People want to feel safe in their living quarters. So they may enforce their rules more strictly on those people. At times, they may be a minority. In fact, they may be the majority of the time. That is irrelevant, and it doesn't mean the person enforcing the rules is racist.

Okay.....not sure if you are serious but okay. Just to be clear I think Starbucks has a right to make stupid business decisions. I'm not demanding free coffee or "sensitivity training" or whatever. I just think it's stupid to give one impression about your business but then operate it in a different way. You disagree? If so, why?
    Could you stop contradicting yourself?

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast