Thread: Chronic pain is determined by emotions, scientists believe

Chronic pain is determined by emotions, scientists believe

01 Jul 2012

Emotions may determine why some people are more likely to suffer chronic pain than others, a study has found.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...s-believe.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    maybe that's why my back still hurts. I need to chill out and try to ignore it.

That hurts me in my emotions. /Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by sevin View Post
    maybe that's why my back still hurts. I need to chill out and try to ignore it.
    One of John Stossel's most popular segments ever was on backpain and an incredible cure by Dr. Sarno...long story short... The problem is in your head. Negative emotions like rage deny blood to key areas to your body which causes your pain. Stossel is normally a skeptic of this type of thing and was a long time back pain sufferer...was miraculously cured after addressing his emotions.

The correlation between negative emotions and physical ailments is incredible actually... Some interesting resources on the subject:

http://www.pure-and-simple-healing.c...l-healing.html

I've read 'Heal Your Body' by Louise Hay and it's quite eye opening. Most specific ailments in the body can be mapped to a specific negative emotion.

Here is the segment from John Stossel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUEQHXaMnx0&feature=gv

Kind of scary thinking how much government/insurance money goes down the drain for unnecessary surgeries and treatments when simple emotional treatment would do the trick (Dr. Sarno says he has a 90% success rate!).

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by rpwi View Post
    One of John Stossel's most popular segments ever was on backpain and an incredible cure by Dr. Sarno...long story short... The problem is in your head. Negative emotions like rage deny blood to key areas to your body which causes your pain. Stossel is normally a skeptic of this type of thing and was a long time back pain sufferer...was miraculously cured after addressing his emotions.

The correlation between negative emotions and physical ailments is incredible actually... Some interesting resources on the subject:

http://www.pure-and-simple-healing.c...l-healing.html

I've read 'Heal Your Body' by Louise Hay and it's quite eye opening. Most specific ailments in the body can be mapped to a specific negative emotion.

Here is the segment from John Stossel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUEQHXaMnx0&feature=gv

Kind of scary thinking how much government/insurance money goes down the drain for unnecessary surgeries and treatments when simple emotional treatment would do the trick (Dr. Sarno says he has a 90% success rate!).
    I never knew about John Stossel and Dr. Sarno... But Ive heard Howard Stern mention him plenty of times... Howard claimed to have excruciating back pain for years and tried everything... But Dr. Sarno cured his back pain instantly and he has been a fan ever since.

I've been there with the whole chronic back pain gig. I'm skeptical but hey, if it works...

Montel Williams should give this treatment a whirl for his MS. I'd be interested in his take on it.

Sort of related, this deals more with acute pain and I don't really have a source but it works pretty good.

So I read something somewhere a long time ago that your pain sensors and the signals they send to the brain can be manipulated immediately after experiencing the pain.

This is done by recreating the event that caused the acute pain. Example: You are in the kitchen taking care of chores with your mate. She leaves one of the cabinet doors open and your catch the corner of the cabinet door on the top of your head.

So to deal with this, what you would do immediately after the injury is put yourself in the exact scenario that caused the injury. Basically move the wounded area right up to the corner of the cabinet door.

I read this and it works surprisingly well. Say you hit your thumb with a hammer, smashing it. Bring the hammer head down right over the top of your thumb. Watch and feel as that pain disappears. Pretty cool.

Here in my local area, there is a story about an old pioneer who in his 50's started having horrible joint pains so much that he couldn't walk or do much of anything. After weeks of lying in bed a burden to his family, a local Native tribal healer came to see if he could help. After a thorough examination, he send his helper back to the indian village, and told the wife that "a cure is on the way". a few days later, a group of strong hunters from the village came to the pioneer cabin, and carried the ailing man out into the cold January weather, and threw him in the river. His choice was to swim, or drown. He chose to swim, and never suffered joint pain again.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Icymudpuppy View Post
    Here in my local area, there is a story about an old pioneer who in his 50's started having horrible joint pains so much that he couldn't walk or do much of anything. After weeks of lying in bed a burden to his family, a local Native tribal healer came to see if he could help. After a thorough examination, he send his helper back to the indian village, and told the wife that "a cure is on the way". a few days later, a group of strong hunters from the village came to the pioneer cabin, and carried the ailing man out into the cold January weather, and threw him in the river. His choice was to swim, or drown. He chose to swim, and never suffered joint pain again.
    It also could have overwhelmed a lot of the receptors that were firing at the time. When your body has something else to work towards / focus on, it will push a lot of other pain into the background. It works for a lot of pain, though I will admit that biting my tongue to minimize the pain in a broken toe has recently left me with a lacerated tongue
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    I've been there with the whole chronic back pain gig. I'm skeptical but hey, if it works...

Montel Williams should give this treatment a whirl for his MS. I'd be interested in his take on it.
    A mom already cured her daughter's MS awhile back... full dairy fat diet and getting rid of crap like soda... daughter was cured from not being able to talk to back to normal in about 6 months or so.

I have found that smoking a bowl and exercising my core and back muscles more has done wonders for my back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    I have found that smoking a bowl and exercising my core and back muscles more has done wonders for my back.
    My back is nearly pain free since i retired .