Thread: Newly Released Documents: Abraham Lincoln Sought to Deport Freed Slaves Out of America

Newly Released Documents: Abraham Lincoln Sought to Deport Freed Slaves Out of America

Book: Lincoln sought to deport freed slaves

The Washington Times
    February 9, 2011

The Great Emancipator was almost the Great Colonizer: Newly released documents show that to a greater degree than historians had previously known, President Lincoln laid the groundwork to ship freed slaves overseas to help prevent racial strife in the U.S.

Just after he issued the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863, Lincoln authorized plans to pursue a freedmen’s settlement in present-day Belize and another in Guyana, both colonial possessions of Great Britain at the time, said Phillip W. Magness, one of the researchers who uncovered the new documents.

Historians have debated how seriously Lincoln took colonization efforts, but Mr. Magness said the story he uncovered, to be published next week in a book, “Colonization After Emancipation: Lincoln and the Movement for Black Resettlement,” shows the president didn’t just flirt with the idea, as historians had previously known, but that he personally pursued it for some time.

“The way that Lincoln historians have grappled with colonization has always been troublesome. It doesn’t mesh with the whole ‘emancipator,’ ” Mr. Magness said. “The revelation of this story changes the picture on that because a lot of historians have tended to downplay colonization. … What we know now is he did continue the effort for at least a year after the proclamation was signed.”

Full Story:
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-freed-slaves/

More Information on Abraham Lincoln:

Lincoln Unmasked: What You're Not Supposed To Know about Dishonest Abe (2006)
    - Dr. Thomas DiLorenzo

The Real Lincoln: A New Look at Abraham Lincoln, His Agenda, and an Unnecessary War (2003)
    - Dr. Thomas DiLorenzo
    Last edited by FrankRep; 02-10-2011 at 01:01 PM.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    not really a new find. Lincoln was very involved in the Illinois chapter of the American Colonialization Society. It had been known for quite a while that Lincoln, like many of his contemporaries, hated slavery but did not want blacks to stay here as equals. This, however, is the first time a respected scholar of history has touched on the subject as far as I can recall. (I'm not a civil war historian)

LOL. Not only are you doing revisionist history here Frank, but you've got your title wrong too. Why on earth would Lincoln deport slaves out of Africa? Lincoln pushed for voluntary repatriation of slaves to Africa. I don't have a problem with that.

Oh, and Thomas Dilorenzo has been caught being "dishonest" about the Morrill Tariff too. In his false attempt to "debunk" the Washington Post article "5 myths about why the South Seceded" he made a big deal about the Morrill Tariff. But he was dishonest in that he left out the fact that the tariff was not passed until after the south seceded.

See:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post3068446

And:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post3068469

Ironically, in order to defend what he wrongly saw as a "slight against the south", Mr. Dilorenzo effectively made liars out of the 10th amendment center which took the same position about the state of tariffs prior to the civil war as did the Washington Post article. (And Frank, I thank you for posting that 10th amendment center video some time ago.)
    Last edited by jmdrake; 02-10-2011 at 05:53 PM.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Oh, and here's the D.C. emancipation statute for reference.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/fea...ncipation_act/
    On April 16, 1862, President Abraham Lincoln signed a bill ending slavery in the District of Columbia. Passage of this law came 8 1/2 months before President Lincoln issued his Emancipation Proclamation. The act brought to a conclusion decades of agitation aimed at ending what antislavery advocates called "the national shame" of slavery in the nation's capital. It provided for immediate emancipation, compensation to former owners who were loyal to the Union of up to $300 for each freed slave, voluntary colonization of former slaves to locations outside the United States, and payments of up to $100 for each person choosing emigration. Over the next 9 months, the Board of Commissioners appointed to administer the act approved 930 petitions, completely or in part, from former owners for the freedom of 2,989 former slaves.

Although its combination of emancipation, compensation to owners, and colonization did not serve as a model for the future, the District of Columbia Emancipation Act was an early signal of slavery's death. In the District itself, African Americans greeted emancipation with great jubilation. For many years afterward, they celebrated Emancipation Day on April 16 with parades and festivals.

Read em and weep Lincoln haters.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    you are supportive of a man who ordered the butchering of his own citizens?
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

LOL. Not only are you doing revisionist history here Frank, but you've got your title wrong too. Why on earth would Lincoln deport slaves out of Africa? Lincoln pushed for voluntary repatriation of slaves to Africa. I don't have a problem with that.
    Out of America. How do you consider this revisionist history?
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Yeah man. $#@! habeas corpus and civilized warfare and all that bull$#@!.

Oh, and Thomas Dilorenzo has been caught being "dishonest" about the Morrill Tariff too. In his false attempt to "debunk" the Washington Post article "5 myths about why the South Seceded" he made a big deal about the Morrill Tariff. But he was dishonest in that he left out the fact that the tariff was not passed until after the south seceded.

See:

And:

Ironically, in order to defend what he wrongly saw as a "slight against the south", Mr. Dilorenzo effectively made liars out of the 10th amendment center which took the same position about the state of tariffs prior to the civil war as did the Washington Post article. (And Frank, I thank you for posting that 10th amendment center video some time ago.)
    Colonization voluntary or involuntary does not absolve Lincoln, no does it absolve for the protectionist and interventions views in which he believed in tariffs and "public improvements".

But as far as the Tariffs, just cause they haven't passed earlier doesn't mean they weren't part of why the south succeeded. We get angry about Legislation before it passed all the time, remember all our efforts against the DISCLOSE act or even Obamacare, the divide and angst in the country started not with the legislation passing but with a fundamental debate way before they were even introduced.

Thinking that people don't care about legislation until it's passed seems kind of Naive.
    Alex Merced - A Champion of Freedom
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

HAYEKFORUMS.COM
    - Economics and Philosophy Discussion and Debate

ALEXMERCEDFORUMS.COM
    - Libertarian Community and Discussion

Donate to Help Alex Merced promote Liberty Full Time

FACEBOOK PAGES YOU SHOULD LIKE

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by McBell View Post
    Yeah man. $#@! habeas corpus and civilized warfare and all that bull$#@!.
    Oh, Lincoln did a lot of things wrong. But hate him for what he actually did. Don't run around making stuff up wholesale.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMerced View Post
    Colonization voluntary or involuntary does not absolve Lincoln, no does it absolve for the protectionist and interventions views in which he believed in tariffs and "public improvements".
    You're missing the point. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you can make stuff up. Should I be able to say Bush and Obama BBQ'd children on the Whitehouse lawn just because they did a lot of other bad stuff?

But as far as the Tariffs, just cause they haven't passed earlier doesn't mean they weren't part of why the south succeeded. We get angry about Legislation before it passed all the time, remember all our efforts against the DISCLOSE act or even Obamacare, the divide and angst in the country started not with the legislation passing but with a fundamental debate way before they were even introduced.
    Let's look at Obamacare. Would it make sense for states to secede over Obamacare if it didn't pass? That would just be stupid. Why guarantee the passage of something you don't like when you can just vote it down? The Morril Tariff would NOT have based if it were NOT for secession.

Furthermore if you read the link I posted you will see the Dilorenzo purposefully left out the fact that the tariff had not passed in doing his analysis. That's just dishonest...period.

Thinking that people don't care about legislation until it's passed seems kind of Naive.
    No. What's naive is pulling your senators out when they could have stopped the legislation! Further if you go back and read the southern declarations of secession some of them don't even mention the tariff! Ask yourself this. How many southern states were willing to stand with South Carolina against a worse tariff during the nullification crisis?* Answer? ZERO! It's naive to think that all of these states suddenly cared about a tariff that couldn't pass when they weren't willing to stand up with South Carolina against a tariff that DID pass.

Please watch this.

* Note. The tariff behind the nullification crisis was a 35% ad valorem tax and on some things it was as high as 50%. The Morill tariff was a 26% ad valorem tax with a 36% tax on certain items.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 02-11-2011 at 07:37 AM.

Very interesting thread...thanks everyone for posting.

For sometime now I have been researching American History and the Constitution. I have resorted to studying early documents and text books...before Woodrow Wilson got his hands on the educational system. His twisting of the facts became very evident well after his passing (1960's).

I have also been posting my research online so that my homeschool families can use them as lesson plans. http://www.read-phonics.com/constitution-slavery.html

You're missing the point. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you can make stuff up. Should I be able to say Bush and Obama BBQ'd children on the Whitehouse lawn just because they did a lot of other bad stuff?

Let's look at Obamacare. Would it make sense for states to secede over Obamacare if it didn't pass? That would just be stupid. Why guarantee the passage of something you don't like when you can just vote it down? The Morril Tariff would NOT have based if it were NOT for secession.

Furthermore if you read the link I posted you will see the Dilorenzo purposefully left out the fact that the tariff had not passed in doing his analysis. That's just dishonest...period.

No. What's naive is pulling your senators out when they could have stopped the legislation! Further if you go back and read the southern declarations of secession some of them don't even mention the tariff! Ask yourself this. How many southern states were willing to stand with South Carolina against a worse tariff during the nullification crisis?* Answer? ZERO! It's naive to think that all of these states suddenly cared about a tariff that couldn't pass when they weren't willing to stand up with South Carolina against a tariff that DID pass.

Please watch this.

* Note. The tariff behind the nullification crisis was a 35% ad valorem tax and on some things it was as high as 50%. The Morill tariff was a 26% ad valorem tax with a 36% tax on certain items.
    I agree that I doubt it was soley the tariff that was able to garner the popular support for succession, although I do believe the people who used other things (such as slavery) to drum up the support did it for economic reasons. Kind of like how people many conservative pundits demonize muslims for alterior motives, but create real sentiment among the electorate.

HAYEKFORUMS.COM

ALEXMERCEDFORUMS.COM

When looking at history you always got remember there are parallel tracks of motivation, the motivation of the masses and the motivation of those who direct those motivation typically for alterior motives which motives are more important.

For example intervention in the middle east, what's more important the anti-muslim sentiment of the people or the business interests of the military industrial complex and it's politcal cronies who stir up those sentiments. So what I'm saying when understanding the Civil war it's arguable more important to understand the motivation of those that steered public sentiment than that of the public itself since the publics opinion is shaped by those influencers.

Also ignoring Tom Dilorenzos work, Thomas Woods and Mark Thornton have done great work on the economic mechanisms that played before, during and after the war.
    Last edited by AlexMerced; 02-11-2011 at 09:11 AM.

HAYEKFORUMS.COM

ALEXMERCEDFORUMS.COM

See:

And:

Ironically, in order to defend what he wrongly saw as a "slight against the south", Mr. Dilorenzo effectively made liars out of the 10th amendment center which took the same position about the state of tariffs prior to the civil war as did the Washington Post article.
    I have the same problem with Thomas Dilorenzo's work as well. And the Morrill Tariff's are not the only issue he obfuscates. I know he brought much history to light with his research, but at the same time he is not forthright in all his writings. That shines poorly.
    "Everyone who believes in freedom must work diligently for sound money, fully redeemable. Nothing else is compatible with the humanitarian goals of peace and prosperity." -- Ron Paul

Brother Jonathan