Thread: GOP Senators' New Bill Would Let ISPs Sell Your Web Browsing Data

GOP Senators' New Bill Would Let ISPs Sell Your Web Browsing Data

https://politics.slashdot.org/story/...-browsing-data

Yesterday, Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) and 23 Republican co-sponsors introduced a resolution that would overturn new privacy rules for internet service providers. "If the Federal Communications Commission rules are eliminated, ISPs would not have to get consumers' explicit consent before selling or sharing web browsing data and other privacy information with advertisers and other third parties," reports Ars Technica. "The measure would use lawmakers' power under the Congressional Review Act to ensure that the FCC rulemaking 'shall have no force or effect.' The resolution would also prevent the FCC from issuing similar regulations in the future." From the report:

Flake's announcement said he's trying to "protect consumers from overreaching Internet regulation." Flake also said that the resolution "empowers consumers to make informed choices on if and how their data can be shared," but he did not explain how it will achieve that. The privacy order had several major components. The requirement to get the opt-in consent of consumers before sharing information covered geo-location data, financial and health information, children's information, Social Security numbers, Web browsing history, app usage history, and the content of communications. This requirement is supposed to take effect on December 4, 2017. The rulemaking had a data security component that required ISPs to take "reasonable" steps to protect customers' information from theft and data breaches. This was supposed to take effect on March 2, but the FCC under newly appointed Chairman Ajit Pai halted the rule's implementation. Another set of requirements related to data breach notifications is scheduled to take effect on June 2. Flake's resolution would prevent all of those requirements from being implemented. He said that this "is the first step toward restoring the [Federal Trade Commission's] light-touch, consumer-friendly approach." Giving the FTC authority over Internet service providers would require further FCC or Congressional action because the FTC is not allowed to regulate common carriers, a designation currently applied to ISPs.
    Without privacy, everything you do is for sale.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All it needs is a fluffy sounding name, and we are sold...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

passed 50-48

https://twitter.com/KedronBardwell/s...67961358159872
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Clearly a telecommunications lobby effort?

Why did Rand abstain.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Does using proxies help? Or do ISP's have access to what you do through proxies too?

I'm asking for a friend. I don't even know what the word proxy means.

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Clearly a telecommunications lobby effort?

Why did Rand abstain.
    And who were the lobbyists on the other side who got all the Dems to vote against it?

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    And who were the lobbyists on the other side who got all the Dems to vote against it?
    Just being anti for the sake of it, being good party line towers.

If you want to mask your IP address so they can't link anything to you, I think you have to get a VPN.
    THE SQUAD of RPF

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

If you want to mask your IP address so they can't link anything to you, I think you have to get a VPN.
    Your VPN provider is subject to subpoenas too.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Your VPN provider is subject to subpoenas too.
    Then get a good VPN that does not hold any logs of your activity or connections. Nothing there for the subpoena to reveal. Sadly, that type of tech is still quite easily defeated with the most primitive of web tracking: the Cookie.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

I honestly doubt that. Don't you think that if voting yes would garner them campaign funding and voting no wouldn't, then just being anti- wouldn't be enough reason to vote no?

Rand abstained but he did cosponsor this bill on 3/7/2017.

Anybody know why he cosponsored? This vote went totally under the radar.
    THE SQUAD of RPF

Were there any amendments since it was introduced?
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Then get a good VPN that does not hold any logs of your activity or connections. Nothing there for the subpoena to reveal. Sadly, that type of tech is still quite easily defeated with the most primitive of web tracking: the Cookie.
    How many VPN users have the skills to make sure their traffic is blocked when VPN is down?
    When VPN is down the traffic uses the real IP

Was winning over Democrat friends having them start to like Rand then he pulls this and I lost my case.. I'm shocked, personally. Ron wouldn't have cosponsored this in a million years and I'm usually one of the "Rand is just like his dad" people..
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    How many VPN users have the skills to make sure their traffic is blocked when VPN is down?
    When VPN is down the traffic uses the real IP
    Maybe 1 in 100, or even 1000? I think most people are utterly clueless when it comes to even the most basic form of network management tools.

Aside from that, considering it was all the GOP that voted FOR and Democrats that voted against the bill, it just shows how far the Republicans themselves, not the whole party but the Republicans have truly fallen. They ARE the $#@!ing Swamp that needs desperately to be drained.
    1776 > 1984

Quote Originally Posted by ds21089 View Post
    Was winning over Democrat friends having them start to like Rand then he pulls this and I lost my case.. I'm shocked, personally. Ron wouldn't have cosponsored this in a million years and I'm usually one of the "Rand is just like his dad" people..

Sometimes what Rand does seems odd on the surface but once we know the details, the landing is softened.
    THE SQUAD of RPF

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand is a phony

this is scary stuff.

I might have a solution to this. It's difficult to explain and I don't really have the time right now, but if you're interested, it's called an open-access network. Typically the fiber infrastructure is municipally owned. Another entitity, known as the Communications Operator or Network Operator acts as a sort of distributor to bring in RSPs(retail service providers) to compete for customers over the network. Changing ISPs becomes as easy as clicking a button.

In the scenario i'm working on here locally, the Network Operator is a member owned cooperative. All of the dealings of the cooperative are transparent. In negotiating with ISPs, we will require any retail service provider that plans on selling subscriber data to make it known up front that they intend to do so. Along with their help desk number, we will also require either the owner or a c-level person's direct contact information.

Here are a few links and examples. Basically, the fiber optic network becomes more like a road than a power line. Many services can be delivered to the residents down the same strand of fiber. Since many municipalities already have a fiber backbone and also have a need for more fiber for the their Advanced Metering infrastructure (SmartGrid) it makes sense for them to own the fiber. They also own most of the poles.

The build-out would be done by people voluntarily agreeing to a $4000 tax assessment that pays for the fiber over 20 years. Once enough people in an area agree to the assessment, to pay for the fiber, the build-out will begin. Home values are increased on average 3.1% by having fiber availability according to a study by someone (can't remember).

This model breaks the duopolies of the telephone and cable companies and opens up the market for service providers. I'm a network engineer by trade so that end of this is easily do-able. Where I'm going to run into trouble are the user interfaces required to make this work. If anyone has any interest in helping, let me know. If i get far enough along I may need it. I've budgeted money for web development and consulting.

If you're interested, check out these links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSQVvFY4lPI

http://www.localnews8.com/news/kifi-...28737/58679628

http://www.lightreading.com/gigabit/.../a/d-id/720514

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-access_network

https://muninetworks.org/content/open-access

Cards Against Humanity Creator Rails Against Congress

Congress has decided Americans' web browsing history isn't private, so Americans are now trying to turn the tables on Congress. Per the Washington Post, hundreds of thousands of dollars have been raised via various crowdfunding efforts—including more than $73,000 by Supernatural star Misha Collins and more than $173,000 by a Tennessee "privacy activist"—to buy browsing data for President Trump and members of Congress who voted for SJR34. As CNET notes, even Cards Against Humanity co-creator Max Temkin got into the act, tweeting on Monday: "If this s--- passes I will buy the browser history of every congressman and congressional aide and publish it." But some say everyone should hold off on writing a check. First, Trump still hasn't officially signed off on the bill (though he's expected to) that would keep things status quo, making such data free game for ISPs.

But also, per the Verge and Heavy.com, sharing individual browsing histories isn't legal except in rare cases, though sharing aggregate customer data is (and some worry these rules could one day be loosened). Taylor Hatmaker also writes for TechCrunch the crowdfunding efforts are "hypocritical," considering everyone's ostensible concern for privacy. Quartz notes even Temkin is walking things back, noting the bill hasn't been signed (he's now "skeptical" of any current GoFundMe efforts) and that it will be difficult to acquire Congress' web-browsing history even if the bill is signed. He asks people to donate for now to the Electronic Frontier Foundation. "If and when any data becomes available, myself and Cards Against Humanity will do whatever we can do [to] acquire it and publish it," reads his Reddit post—which still doesn't seem to sync with current legalities.
    http://www.newser.com/story/240557/c...fall-flat.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

This is why I use other peoples addresses , just in case .
    Do something Danke

This was a deregulatory bill. I'm not convinced fedgov has any business regulating this stuff in the first place. So Obama prompting a Democratic Congress made these regulations at the federal level, and Congress is working to repeal them and leave such things to the States and to contracts between provider and customer. Rand Paul would have voted for it were he present. Ron Paul would probably have voted for it too. This is one of those bills that has been taken way out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Rand is a phony

this is scary stuff.
    lol, no. You are very quick to believe what you are told, particularly when such things are alarming. Clickbait headlines must just play right hell with you huh?

I haven't read the bill myself, so I can't actually say for sure, but if the bill is just a straight repeal (as it has been advertised), I gar-own-tee you I'da done been voted fer it m'self. 'Cause the less DC regulates contracts like that the better IMHO. I don't really see their authority in it, given that every ISP business unit is intrastate not interstate. If such were to be regulated it belongs at the states. "Congress shall make no Law" and all of that jazz. They didn't sell this data before Obama regulated against it, and they won't be selling that data going forward. If they did, the free market would put them under a lot faster than some idiot DC lawyer. Just saying.

Don't forget you need to scramble your canvas fingerprint with some regularity too, or a forensic engineer can reproduce your traffic from your canvas fingerprint.

I use a no-logger VPN, I only allow trusted sites on a whitelist to give me cookies, and my canvass fingerprint scrambles every 24 hours, or every few minutes if I'm looking at sensitive content.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Don't forget you need to scramble your canvas fingerprint with some regularity too, or a forensic engineer can reproduce your traffic from your canvas fingerprint.

I use a no-logger VPN, I only allow trusted sites on a whitelist to give me cookies, and my canvass fingerprint scrambles every 24 hours, or every few minutes if I'm looking at sensitive content.
    How effective is it to block all canvas fingerprinting all together? I just disable canvas, but also means I cant play web games, which I dont anyway so no loss for me...
    1776 > 1984

How effective is it to block all canvas fingerprinting all together? I just disable canvas, but also means I cant play web games, which I dont anyway so no loss for me...
    It's effective enough, but scrambling is a bit more effective because you are somewhat noteworthy for NOT having a canvas fingerprint. It's not like they can piece together your identity from the LACK of a fingerprint, but it's a pretty good bet there are only 1, 2, or 3 guys running around that site without canvass fingerprints, so they may receive extra attention for that reason alone.

It's effective enough, but scrambling is a bit more effective because you are somewhat noteworthy for NOT having a canvas fingerprint. It's not like they can piece together your identity from the LACK of a fingerprint, but it's a pretty good bet there are only 1, 2, or 3 guys running around that site without canvass fingerprints, so they may receive extra attention for that reason alone.
    Agreed.

I'll also point out that another good Firefox Plugin to have is called "Request Policy".

Firefox - Request Policy Add-on
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...requestpolicy/

NOTE: Mostly for relatively tech savvy peoplez.

Basically what it does is gives users control over Cross Site Requests. For example, all requests from ronpaulforums.com to ronpaulforums.com goes thru. Requests to googlesyndication.com and googleanalytics.com can be prohibited. When you start using a plugin like this on big sites, they have twenty to thirty trackers and advertisers all trying to sniff out even more about you and shove $#@! down your throat and tell you to spend money you dont have on $#@! you dont need. If your machine doesnt make any requests at all to trackers, they have no way to get data from evercookies, fingerprinting, etc, at least for Third Party. Doesnt work very well against First Party tracking like going directly to googledotcom and useless against ISP Packet Sniffing without HTTPS Everywhere, and no VPN. Also, no guarantee that the VPN doesnt sell browsing history also as 82% prohibit HTTPS traffic.
    1776 > 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Rand is a phony

this is scary stuff.

This was a deregulatory bill. I'm not convinced fedgov has any business regulating this stuff in the first place. So Obama prompting a Democratic Congress made these regulations at the federal level, and Congress is working to repeal them and leave such things to the States and to contracts between provider and customer. Rand Paul would have voted for it were he present. Ron Paul would probably have voted for it too. This is one of those bills that has been taken way out of context.
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Does using proxies help? Or do ISP's have access to what you do through proxies too?

I'm asking for a friend. I don't even know what the word proxy means.
    The ISP can always at least see that you're connecting to the VPN in the first place.

What, if anything, it can see beyond that is up to the VPN.

As for the govenrment, it's safe to assume they see everything, all the time, no matter what you do.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 04-03-2017 at 05:32 PM.