Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: #&^#$ The Bed (Again)

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post

Hamill is an idiot, I haven't seen TLJ yet but I will make up my own mind when I do, the 3rd installment of this trilogy will be the decisive factor, if it is bad I will reject the whole trilogy.
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 12-18-2017 at 10:39 PM.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.

The Last Jedi is being review bombed on Rotten Tomatoes

https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/18/1...es-review-bomb

By Julia Alexander Dec 18, 2017,

Star Wars: The Last Jedi is one of the top-rated movies on Rotten Tomatoes, according to critics, but scroll down the movie’s page a little further and audience testimonies tell a different story.

There’s a gaping disparage between what critics thought of the movie (certified fresh) and the feeling a majority of moviegoers walked away from the theater harnessing. How could a movie so universally applauded by critics not have the same resounding effect on general moviegoers?

It’s hard to discern whether reviews of the movie are genuine or, as some outlets have reported, generated by bots or organized attacks from 4chan. One Facebook group, “Down With Disney's Treatment of Franchises and its Fanboys,” which aligns itself as a pro-DCEU community, announced on Facebook that it had generated trolls to help review bomb The Last Jedi’s score on Rotten Tomatoes. (Review bombing is when a horde of negative reviews with low ratings are left on an entities page in protest.) The page defines itself by its anti-Marvel and anti-Disney stance as a pro-DCEU fan page.

“Thanks to friends of mine who taught me a thing or two about Bot Accounts, I used them to create this audience score through Facebook accounts created that subsequently logged into Rotten Tomatoes who rigged this score and still keep it dropping,” the post reads.

Questions about 4chan’s influence on the score have also been raised, but a thread on 4chan’s infamous politically incorrect forum, /pol/, has a number of site users claiming that 4chan wasn’t involved. Some 4chan users suggested it was a /pol/ attack because the audience rating is sitting at 56 percent, which could allude to a 2015 meme that /pol/ participants in Europe and the United States used. The term “56” has become notable among 4chan for a keyword used during organized attacks; when the score for The Last Jedi hovered at 56 percent, people thought it was a sign that 4chan was behind the review bomb.

One /pol/user noted that, “even if /pol/ could muster up 10,000 people, which would be like 2-3 times the amount for popular strawpolls posted more than once, it wouldn't be enough to change it to 56% and be able to keep it there.” This sentiment was echoed on the thread, with many /pol/ members claiming they wish it had been an organized attack, but downplaying any involvement in it.

Some of those comments have been screencapped and can be read below.

Angry Fans Petition to Have 'The Last Jedi' Abandoned and Remade

https://www.yahoo.com/news/save-apos-star-wars-apos-122842126.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Angry Fans Petition to Have 'The Last Jedi' Abandoned and Remade

https://www.yahoo.com/news/save-apos...122842126.html
    https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-di...official-canon

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Petition to Remove ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ From Official Canon Has Over 29,000 Signatures

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Haven't seen a SW since the first new one, as I don't feel a need to sit through a 2.5 hour advertisement for Disney merchandise and social programming.
    Last edited by devil21; 12-20-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

It was okay. It was well directed, but the plot seems kind of a mess and it was strange how they chose to handle Luke Skywalker.

Also awkward they didn't try to settle the absence of Carrie Fisher, unless her scenes in the next movie were shot already?

I feel like they should bring back a real Jedi like Mace Windu who didn't hesitate in deciding to kill a bad guy like Palpatine.

Last edited by VIDEODROME; 12-20-2017 at 04:55 AM.

Maybe Star Wars should have ended this way,

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Haven't seen a SW since the first new one, as I don't feel a need to sit through a 2.5 hour advertisement for Disney merchandise and social programming.
    ^^^ This

So , did it $#@! the bed or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    I feel like they should bring back a real Jedi like Mace Windu who didn't hesitate in deciding to kill a bad guy like Palpatine.

Nothing says badass motherfucker like a (purple) lightsaber.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    So , did it $#@! the bed or not ?
    Yes, it was confusing and dull. Star Wars: The Last Temptation was better in every way. Take the kids:

Daisy Rider, the lead chick in the Disney star wars, said in a Q&A panel that if people don't like her character, because she's good at everything and unrelatable, then they are just misogynists. I got into my local theater to see this movie, because I'm a card-carrying misogynist and the system works for me; I better get the movie I wanted - or else.

Last edited by Raginfridus; 12-21-2017 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I'm almost with you. I saw the first se-prequel and that was enough for me.
    I too am in this elite club.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

'Star Wars’ actress Daisy Ridley says criticism of her character Rey is ‘sexist'

http://www.nme.com/news/film/star-wa...sexist-1790171'

(she only resorts to crying sexist because she knows the criticism's true)

Anyway, like with most movies of the last 30 years, this one can be forgotten.

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” on Rotten Tomatoes currently has a 93 percent critic score, however, audiences disagree giving it only a 55 percent score. A few trolls attempted to take credit for manipulating the score but Rotten Tomatoes has confirmed to TheWrap that the audience score is authentic.
    Despite having an “A” Cinemascore, Dana Benson, the Vice President of Communications at Rotten Tomatoes tells TheWrap, “The authenticity of our critic and user scores is very important to Rotten Tomatoes and as a course of regular business, we have a team of security, network, social and database experts who closely monitor our platforms. They haven’t determined that there are any problems.”
    “For ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi,’ we have seen an uptick in people posting written user reviews, as fans are very passionate about this movie and the franchise. The number of written reviews being posted by fans is comparable to ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’,” Benson added.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...221606989.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” on Rotten Tomatoes currently has a 93 percent critic score, however, audiences disagree giving it only a 55 percent score. A few trolls attempted to take credit for manipulating the score but Rotten Tomatoes has confirmed to TheWrap that the audience score is authentic.
    Despite having an “A” Cinemascore, Dana Benson, the Vice President of Communications at Rotten Tomatoes tells TheWrap, “The authenticity of our critic and user scores is very important to Rotten Tomatoes and as a course of regular business, we have a team of security, network, social and database experts who closely monitor our platforms. They haven’t determined that there are any problems.”
    “For ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi,’ we have seen an uptick in people posting written user reviews, as fans are very passionate about this movie and the franchise. The number of written reviews being posted by fans is comparable to ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’,” Benson added.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...221606989.html
    Studios also like to blame-shift:

However, the studios shouldn’t be blaming their lighter-than-average take on poor reviews, as a new study has determined that Rotten Tomatoes doesn’t actually have much of an impact on a movie’s performance. This comes fromVariety, which reports that Data And Analytics Project director Yves Bergquist as USC’s Entertainment Technology Center has written a post on Mediumin which he analyzed film data from the last 17 years and determined that “Rotten Tomatoes scores have never played a very big role in driving box office performance, either positively or negatively.”

Bergquist’s study takes down a number of commonly held theories about box-office performance, claiming that critics aren’t harsher on big-budget blockbusters and that a huge production budget—a.k.a. expensive CG—doesn’tusually translate to better money. Most damningly of all, though, Bergquist determined that critics aren’t more negative than the average moviegoer, but that moviegoers are falling more in line with what critics think. In other words, if someone thinks a movie is bad, it’s because they recognize it as bad and not because a critic told them it’s bad.
    That means the studios’ real enemy is a more intelligent—or at least more aware—audience, not harsh critics or Rotten Tomatoes. Unfortunately, solving that problem will be a bit more complicated.
    somefuckingragihavetopayfor.com

Petition to Remove ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ From Official Canon Has Over 51,000 Signatures

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah, I signed as Fu*ku As*wh*re.

@Raginfridus,

Do note that this movie was perhaps essentially rushed because Disney decided to drop a Star Wars flick every year once they acquired the IP for the sake of what @devil21 said,

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan (I think the almighty original trilogy is just decent, I don't ignore their overall impact on the film industry which is what I acknowledge/appreciate them for. Sci-Fi is one of my favorite genres. Star Wars is also arguably a prime example of how cinema can cause a cultural impact/social engineering. Providing some insight in regard to the human psyche.), but I saw this on Tuesday. Was fairly disappointed with it. Didn't really like it. Which is a shame, because I actually liked Ep. VII/The Force Awakens. Harrison Ford is one of my favorite actors and I thought he did a fantastic job in it. Glad he played a major role. That said, it wasn’t just Ford that led to my liking of the film, I thought that it ended on a very strong note in regard to optimistic speculation for where they would take the future of the series/universe/the new characters.

Unfortunately, it appears that they managed to somehow ultimately drop the ball with this new trilogy. This film is filled with so many character assassinations. I'm not sure if Ep. IX will save it.

This is probably the worst year in Hollywood yet (at least for me). I don't think there was a single blockbuster flick I didn't walk out going meh/trash this year.

Oh well, at least J.J. Abrams will be back for Ep. IX?

http://metro.co.uk/2015/11/27/star-w...times-5528694/

Steven Speilberg seemed to have loved The Force Awakens, apparently saying that he saw it three times according to actress Daisy Ridley. On the other hand, he seems relatively silent about this movie...

----

Something that's interesting is that the director of this movie directed the best episode of Breaking Bad IMO (legendary tv show)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_(Breaking_Bad)

That said, his previous feature films (Brick and Looper) were okay/meh at best from what I remember...

---

Why doesn't anyone tell Kylo Ren that Darth Vader became good in the end?
    "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever." - Founding Father Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    'Star Wars’ actress Daisy Ridley says criticism of her character Rey is ‘sexist'

The weird thing is I don't have a problem with any of the characters except Luke and sadly Phasma was disappointing.

The plot though feels like it's heading to ending almost more absurd than The Matrix trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by uncharted View Post
    Why doesn't anyone tell Kylo Ren that Darth Vader became good in the end?
    Who would tell him? Only Luke was there and he aint talking to nobody.

Also, did he really turn good in the end? Its the way of the sith to eventually overthrow their master.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    They turned Luke into a pussy.

Han Solo's son is a pussy.

Not much original... disappointing.

I will still see the final episode.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    They turned Luke into a pussy.

Han Solo's son is a pussy.

Not much original... disappointing.

I will still see the final episode.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Who would tell him? Only Luke was there and he aint talking to nobody.

Also, did he really turn good in the end? Its the way of the sith to eventually overthrow their master.
    @specsaregood

Wouldn't Luke explain in detail as to what happened during that battle at least to Han and Leia shortly after (long before Kylo was born)?

Wouldn't have he had countless conversations with Yoda and Ben Kenobi about that bout too? (I think those Jedi masters could detect if he was lying and the like)

I always saw that scene where I say that Vader "turned good" (which he did once he saw his son getting shocked by Sidious) as the whole "even though he's seemingly pure evil, there's still some light in him" theme like they are trying to do with Kylo Ren right now. The irony is that Luke tapped into things like rage (which is the ways of the Dark side iirc) during that fight, ultimately overpowering him (to the point where it impressed Sidious, no? He attempted to convert him shortly after). While Vader acted (I'd say) out of moral integrity, saving his son from Sidious. The balance between good and evil in all of us.
    Last edited by uncharted; 12-22-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever." - Founding Father Thomas Jefferson

I thought it was interesting that they show how the arms dealers sell to both sides.
    Stop believing stupid things

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post

I agree. She's saying this because in the back of her mind, from the first time she read the script, she has been saying to herself, "Ok, this broad I'm playing can fight and drive better than any man. Fine. But how am I supposed to convince audiences that she can also read a map?"

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    Pretty much this^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    Yea that's true... I guess the one with Leia just added a new layer of impossibility to it. Not getting hurt by the explosion AND surviving space.
    Not to mention we assume that she wasn't trained. But her brother, who built a whole Jedi academy, is one of the most powerful Jedi ever. He almost certainly taught her how to use the Force. If not to the level of a Knight then at least somewhat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast