Thread: Air France-KLM Launches Ludicrous New Airline To Attract Hipster Millennials

Air France-KLM Launches Ludicrous New Airline To Attract Hipster Millennials

There’s a new budget airline serving Europe, and eventually long haul destinations from Paris, and its name is…Joon. That’s “riffing”, apparently, on the French word “jeune” which means young, and is meant to attract a clientele of millennials who can’t see past a very uncool airline conglomerate, Air France-KLM Group's, attempt at rebranding. According to Bloomberg.
    What corporate France lacks in cost-cutting potential, it makes up for in style. That at least appears to be the recipe at Joon, the latest aviation brainchild of Air France-KLM Group, which starts operating this week. The pitch goes like this: tech-savvy and fashion-conscious flight attendants serve de rigueur staples from baobab juice to organic quinoa salad as millennials jet from Paris to Barcelona and Brazil at discount rates, streaming videos above the clouds.
    Apparently, Joon is born out of some “hard-heading thinking” at Europe’s biggest airline, which aims to boost the groups profits by cutting costs more than the air fares. For those who’ve been paying attention, Air France-KLM doesn’t have the greatest track record in developing budget airlines. Indeed, the expansion of Transavia, the group’s existing low-cost brand, led to a strike by Air France pilots which cost hundreds of millions of Euros in 2014. This time, instead of aiming at pilot costs, Air France- KLM is targeting cabin crew, as Bloomberg explains.
    Where the Transavia plan sought significant concessions from pilots, Joon will pay them as much as Air France does -- instead securing savings of 40 percent on cabin crew costs versus the mainline brand. That will reduce expenses by up to 18 percent overall.
    Ticket prices won’t be in the bargain-basement range, with a one-way trip to Lisbon on Jan. 8 priced from 50 euros ($59), according to Joon’s website. That’s cheaper than previously charged by Air France, which will vacate routes that Joon takes up, but still 8.74 euros more than the same journey with EasyJet Plc, Europe’s second-biggest discount carrier and a major force in the French market, and 11 euros higher than charged by Transavia, which will duplicate some of the new carrier’s services.
    Reading that, you might be forgiven for thinking that Joon might compete a bit too aggressively with other parts of the group, although we’re probably mistaken.
    However, from the customer’s perspective, it’s all about how “cool” the new airline is going to be, beginning with the underpaid cabin crew.
    Hence the focus on cool (cabin crew will wear electric-blue polo shirts and white sneakers that resemble Adidas AG’s popular Stan Smiths) as Joon seeks to woo a clientele that’s price sensitive but which also, it hopes, puts a high value on technology and lifestyle requirements.
    Passengers will be able to stream movies and shows on their own devices, playing to the always-connected crowd while saving on the cost of screens. All seats will feature USB ports for charging and, from next year, free Wi-Fi.
    Here’s a photo of some of the cabin crew, not sure who the old guy is…

…ahh, he’s the CEO of the Air France-KLM group. Free WiFi aside, Bloomberg cautions that everything else is going to cost.

More at: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...er-millennials

@Danke might want to sign on.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is every generation Millennials from now on, so kids born in 2049 will still be Millennials?

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Is every generation Millennials from now on, so kids born in 2049 will still be Millennials?
    No, born in 1982-2000

Oldest are 35, youngest are 17. The oldest graduated high school in 2000, the youngest were born in 2000.
    Last edited by dannno; 12-01-2017 at 03:13 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Considering most millennials $#@!ed in the head politics, they ought to get a milk crate on the deck of a Tupolev-134 and a bowl of cold horsemeat borscht.

Then they'd feel right at home.

Joone, the director NSFW:

Last edited by timosman; 12-01-2017 at 06:05 PM. Reason: NSFW

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Considering most millennials $#@!ed in the head politics, they ought to get a milk crate on the deck of a Tupolev-134 and a bowl of cold horsemeat borscht.

Then they'd feel right at home.
    Its in their pedigree: granddad was FDR for life and their mom a feminist.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    No, born in 1982-2000

Oldest are 35, youngest are 17. The oldest graduated high school in 2000, the youngest were born in 2000.
    Smells like rabid collectivism. I'm seeing start years as soon as 78 and end dates as early as 96: little profit to anybody but teen magazines, fake scientists at Rasmussen, and advertising executives.
    Last edited by Raginfridus; 12-01-2017 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Its in their pedigree: granddad was FDR for life and their mom a feminist.

Smells like rabid collectivism. I'm seeing start years as soon as 78 and end dates as early as 96: little profit to anybody but teen magazines, fake scientists at Rasmussen, and advertising executives.
    Anybody claiming that $#@! is wrong.. I know because I was born in 82, and there was a DISTINCT difference between kids my age and kids a year older (born in '81). The older kids were way more like their older gen x peers, but all the new computer equipment and new teaching methods and new stuff was aimed at kids my age. Every year I got this sense that the teachers were doing new things to facilitate a new type of teaching.. You always got this sense they were trying something new on us all the time.. it wasn't until later when we realized that we were the graduating class of 2000 that it made sense.

Helicopter parenting became way more extreme for kids in my age group and younger. The whole safespace/PC/coddling mentality was much stronger.

Facebook was first available when I was a senior in college, so the kids who graduated in 2003 could not signup for facebook until it was available to the public at large. We were on it from the beginning.

I guess you could say it ended in 1998, or 1999, but why not 2000, millenial afterall.. and why would someone born in 81 be a millenial if they graduated high school in '99??

Edit: and to add.. they were originally going to call us Generation Y (why?)... and it looks like Gen Z is the born 1998-2000+ range
    Last edited by dannno; 12-01-2017 at 07:43 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Anybody claiming that $#@! is wrong.. I know because I was born in 82, and there was a DISTINCT difference between kids my age and kids a year older (born in '81). The older kids were way more like their older gen x peers, but all the new computer equipment and new teaching methods and new stuff was aimed at kids my age.
    Older kids are always more like older kids to younger children. This has always been; its best not to trust in the parameters set by social engineers.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The pitch goes like this: tech-savvy and fashion-conscious flight attendants serve de rigueur staples from baobab juice to organic quinoa salad...
    ...and I stopped reading.

$#@! that garbage. Lobster thermidor.

Build a civilized airline, where smoking's allowed.