Thread: Why Mazda Is Purging Touchscreens From Its Vehicles

Why Mazda Is Purging Touchscreens From Its Vehicles

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...m-its-vehicles

Tablet-like touchscreens have become the ubiquitous interfaces of choice, and they’re seemingly everywhere in daily life, on everything from thermostats to coffee makers and refrigerators. But Mazda really doesn’t think they belong in cars—or at least anywhere near the driver’s seat.

It wasn’t a decision that was hastily made, according to company officials. However, as they started studying the effects of touchscreens on driving safety (and driving comfort), it soon became clear what the priorities should be with this completely new system that makes its debut in the 2019 Mazda 3.

It started out by looking at actual times—the times spent looking away from the road to make a screen selection, and the time needed to refocus the eyes on something close versus the road ahead—and decided that it needed to home in on factors that reduced that time.

Avoiding the swipe-’n’-swerve

“Doing our research, when a driver would reach towards a touch-screen interface in any vehicle, they would unintentionally apply torque to the steering wheel, and the vehicle would drift out of its lane position,” said Matthew Valbuena, Mazda North America’s lead engineer for HMI and infotainment.

“And of course with a touchscreen you have to be looking at the screen while you’re touching...so for that reason we were comfortable removing the touch-screen functionality,” he added.

Personally, I think anything that forces you to take your eyes off the road is an obvious bad idea. Quite literally ANY older vehicle with out this Swipe and Crash bull$#@! built into them is 1000 times safer because you can just as easily identify what youre touching by feel as opposed to screens which force you to look at them. You can feel the knob to turn up the fan, turn down the heat, or change a radio station.

Thoughts? AF, care to weigh in on this one?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I agree.

Good for Mazda.

Government goons will mulct you out of hundreds of dollars and possibly arrest you if they catch you finger $#@!ing a sail fawn.

But you're supposed to do the same damn thing to control every single function of your vehicle.

I'm convinced it's been these nuisance devices that have driven fatalities up recently.

High performance cars have tactile switches, buttons and knobs for a reason.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    High performance cars have tactile switches, buttons and knobs for a reason.
    This. ^^^
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

how is that new Mazda skyactiv X engine coming? will it be in this 2019 Mazda 3?
    Last edited by axiomata; 06-22-2019 at 07:07 PM.
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

Mazda made the right decision.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Bravo Mazda ....

Common sense is rare and unpopular these days, yet , here we are, good on you.......