Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Millennial dads have pathetic DIY skills compared to baby boomers

Exclamation Millennial dads have pathetic DIY skills compared to baby boomers

That's because they are bone idle, soyboy, retards, mostly, poisoned and weakened by emasculating toxins in the air, food and water, minds and souls fogged and befuddled by gynocratic institutions that they have lived their whole lives in, and the Cult of Safety.

Millennial dads have pathetic DIY skills compared to baby boomers

https://nypost.com/2019/06/06/millen...-baby-boomers/

By Tyler Schmall June 6, 2019 | 5:12pm

Are dads’ essential DIY skills in decline?

Are dads’ essential DIY skills in decline? According to new research, millennial dads are less capable than their own dads when it comes to everyday DIY fixes, preferring to rely on professional help instead.

A new poll of 1,000 millennial dads and 1,000 baby boomer dads found that when a DIY task needs to be done at home, more than half of millennials prefer to call a professional.

And when it comes to emergency “handiness” scenarios, millennial dads fall short in almost every category.

Millennial dads are less likely than their boomer counterparts to be able to change a car tire on the side of the road, unblock a toilet or sink, reset a tripped circuit breaker or even open a stuck pickle jar with their hands.

The new survey, conducted by OnePoll on behalf of Alarm.com, found that modern dads’ toolkits have declined too.

Many millennial dads reported not owning a cordless drill (46%), a stepladder (49%), a set of screwdrivers (38%) or even a hammer (32 percent) — an item owned by 93% of boomer dads.

Why the decline in DIY?

Both generations pointed to modern technology becoming harder to fix as the top reason.

“The technology in the average home has evolved,” says Anne Ferguson, VP of marketing at Alarm.com.

“Hi-tech upgrades like smart home technology require professional support, especially safety and security upgrades. Even the handiest dads see the value of partnering with a professional service provider on an important project like a smart home security system.”

The definition of what it means to be a “handy” dad has also changed, said 79% percent of millennials. Seventy-four percent of boomers agreed with them.

For example, while boomer dads have the edge when it comes to traditional DIY, 62% of boomer dads concede that millennial dads are better at tech-related tasks.

Millennial dads are also more likely than their own fathers to prioritize family time over DIY.

Sixty-one percent would rather hang out with their children than spend that time on DIY, while 49% of millennial dads say they’ve done better than their own dad at spending quality time with their kids.

“Just as dads’ roles have evolved, so has the definition of handiness,” says Ferguson.

“Today’s time-pressed dads are quick to master new tools like apps and mobile technology for their families’ benefit. They’re also more likely to outsource time-consuming home maintenance to professionals who have the tools and training to get the job done right — a handy trade-off that enables today’s dads to spend more time with the people they love.”
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Millennial dads are less likely than their boomer counterparts to be able to change a car tire on the side of the road, unblock a toilet or sink, reset a tripped circuit breaker or even open a stuck pickle jar with their hands.
    I can do all those, especially the pickles, sweet
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Born in '87. I just built my own house. And I don't mean hired people. I mean did everything but the HVAC. Had my son with me just about every time I was working.

How's that for the best of both worlds
    Last edited by tfurrh; 06-07-2019 at 08:39 PM.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

They are comparing 2 groups where one group has 20-40 years more experience on this earth?

Millennials are pathetic. Disgusted that I have to be a part of that generation.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Well, their dads had 18-20 years to teach them...why didn't they? That kind of thing used to be handed down through the generations, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

change a car tire on the side of the road, unblock a toilet or sink, reset a tripped circuit breaker or even open a stuck pickle jar with their hands.
    That's pathetic. Do they hire someone to open the pickle jar? o_O
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Many millennial dads reported not owning a cordless drill (46%), a stepladder (49%), a set of screwdrivers (38%) or even a hammer (32 percent) — an item owned by 93% of boomer dads.
    What in the flying $#@!? How can you not own a set of screwdrivers? #doesnotcompute I've needed them for basic repairs of things I own and around the house since I was a teenager.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I do a lot of handy work and chores...but as I get older, I could just work at my regular job longer hours and pay someone to do the chump work. Much more cost effective.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I do a lot of handy work and chores...but as I get older, I could just work at my regular job longer hours and pay someone to do the chump work. Much more cost effective.
    I save a lot by doing everything myself , so much I do not even have to work anymore .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I save a lot by doing everything myself , so much I do not even have to work anymore .

I'd hire ya, but I don't appreciate shoddy work, no matter how cheap.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I'd hire ya, but I don't appreciate shoddy work, no matter how cheap.
    Lol , what makes you think it would be cheap ?
    Do something Danke

Lol , what makes you think it would be cheap ?

Beads are cheap here, not sure about Indian Wooden nickels.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    A new poll of 1,000 millennial dads and 1,000 baby boomer dads found that when a DIY task needs to be done at home, more than half of millennials prefer to call a professional.

And when it comes to emergency “handiness” scenarios, millennial dads fall short in almost every category.

The new survey, conducted by OnePoll on behalf of Alarm.com, found that modern dads’ toolkits have declined too.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Many millennial dads reported not owning a cordless drill (46%)
    Also, $#@! a bunch of cordless drills. Goddamn things with batteries that wear out in next to no time, have to be left plugged in perpetually otherwise they are dead when you need to use it. Screw that, I have a nice corded drill and 200+ft of various extension cords that never needs a battery changed and always works. I don't have any cordless power tools, just corded and they always work. Hell, did they even have much in the way of quality cordless drills when boomers were dads and not granddads?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Also, $#@! a bunch of cordless drills. Goddamn things with batteries that wear out in next to no time, have to be left plugged in perpetually otherwise they are dead when you need to use it. Screw that, I have a nice corded drill and 200+ft of various extension cords that never needs a battery changed and always works. I don't have any cordless power tools, just corded and they always work. Hell, did they even have much in the way of quality cordless drills when boomers were dads and not granddads?
    Not really. I have both but mostly use corded. A cordless is handy on occasion but I prefer not to use them generally, guess that make me a dinosaur.
    Last edited by Origanalist; 06-07-2019 at 10:09 PM.
    "The Patriarch"

I don't know where they're getting these statistics at, most of the millennials I know are pretty handy.
    "The Patriarch"

+rep

RPF is about the only thing I do socially online. Took me three hours to figure out how to get a URL for picture of the house
    Last edited by tfurrh; 06-07-2019 at 10:19 PM.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

I don't know where they're getting these statistics at, most of the millennials I know are pretty handy.
    Probably a bad sample-likely only the very *young* milennials from big cities. :P Lots of surveys and studies use $#@!ty sample techniques nowadays. #institutionalbias

Depends on what you value. If you value having time to do other things, you're not saving a lot. #Austriantheoryofvalue #divisionoflabor

cordless drills are great, use them all the time.

I bet only some LGBTQHB+ would agree with you.
    Last edited by Danke; 06-07-2019 at 11:04 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

They can't mix mud.
    "The Patriarch"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm afraid to ask what for.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

They can't mix mud.
    I hire chump work like that out.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I'm afraid to ask what for.
    PM me, I have videos.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

PM me, I have videos.
    No, thanks.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post
    RPF is about the only thing I do socially online. Took me three hours to figure out how to get a URL for picture of the house
    Nice. Now that’s a porch.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

For drilling, always used the old corded drill. But for screwing, found the cordless was handy.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast