Thread: Sen. Jeff Sessions: Libertarian Or Authoritarian?

Sen. Jeff Sessions: Libertarian Or Authoritarian?

Sen. Jeff Sessions: Libertarian Or Authoritarian?

Tomorrow the Senate will take up Donald Trump's nominee for Attorney General, Sen. Jeff Sessions. Should libertarians cheer or be worried about an AG Sessions?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not libertarian:

Civil Forfeiture Finds A Champion
    May 13, 2015
    Opponents of civil forfeiture — myself included — have been waiting for someone to take the other side of the debate. Every year, the federal government uses civil forfeiture to seize more than $1 billion dollars in private property simply by alleging it was somehow involved in a crime.
    That changed at a recent hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee, when civil forfeiture finally found a voice in GOP Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama. Now we know what a full-throated defense of civil forfeiture sounds like.
    And that defense is unconvincing.

It’s not hard to see why champions of civil forfeiture are difficult to find. Consider the case of Russ Caswell, who testified at the recent Senate hearing. The government invoked civil forfeiture to take his family-owned motel, not because he did something wrong, but because some customers violated the law in the privacy of their own rooms. Caswell was forced to prove his own innocence to prevent the forfeiture of his business, which also happened to be his life-savings and retirement plan, all rolled into one.

Few are willing to go on record defending a practice that so blatantly disregards the fundamental principle of innocent until proven guilty — to say nothing of the right to private property.

Enter Sessions. Midway through the committee hearing, he declared that he was “very unhappy” with criticism of civil forfeiture, because in his view “taking and seizing and forfeiting, through a government judicial process, illegal gains from criminal enterprises is not wrong.” Apparently drawing a number from thin air, Sessions announced “95 percent” of forfeitures involve people who have “done nothing in their lives but sell dope.”

Now, nobody disputes that government needs the power to punish criminal behavior. But first things first: Before government labels someone a “criminal,” it has to secure a criminal conviction. The fact of the matter is, we have no way to know what portion of civil forfeitures involve genuine “criminals,” as the whole point of civil forfeiture is that government can take property without convicting or even charging anyone with a crime.
    Last edited by robert68; 01-09-2017 at 01:12 PM.

In answer to the question posed in the title, he is essentially a paleoconservative.

Points from the video...

Pros:
    Nice guy, Constitutionalist, States rights advocate, fiscal conservative, debt hawk.

Cons:
    War on drugs, military hawk, tough on whistleblowers (as is Obama, per Ron).

Not mentioned:

Sessions has consistently stood up to the US Chamber of Commerce, crony corporatists and GOP leadership that is in their pockets.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Senator Jeff Sessions will likely be a bad Attorney General.

We know this because we can look at his long history of voting for big government in the US Senate:

- voted to expand and empower the TSA

- voted for the Internet Sales Tax

- voted to arm the FDA

- voted for Patriot Act spying

- voted to increase the minimum wage

- voted for the Export-Import Bank

- voted to fast track TPP

- voted to raise the debt ceiling (multiple times)

- voted to expand Medicare

- voted to give the ATF unlimited access to firearms records without a warrant

- voted to give Obama power of indefinite detention

- voted for Cash for Clunkers

- voted to fund the IMF and UN

- voted for no child left behind

- voted to confirm Hayden

- voted for FISA and domestic spying (multiple times)

- voted to fund federal jobs training program

- voted for foreign aid (multiple times)

- voted to fund federal child care

- voted for national flood insurance, highway pork

- voted for federal land buying program

- voted to increase Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

- voted to continue funding invasion of Iraq

- voted for crop subsidies (multiple times)

- voted for Mukasey for AG

- voted for AIDS funding

- voted to fund Depts of Labor, HHS, Education, HUD

- voted for massive spending increases

- voted to increase NATO

- voted to subsidize alternative energy vehicles

- voted for airline bailouts

- voted for more aviation regulations

- voted to fund the Caribbean drug war

- voted to fund troops in Yugoslavia
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by robert68 View Post
    Not libertarian:

Civil Forfeiture Finds A Champion
    May 13, 2015
    Yep, he is not a libertarian.

U.S. Chamber of Commerce: Harry Reid Is Better Than Jeff Sessions

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce purports to be a Republican-leaning organization, but it actually ranked Democratic Senate Leader Harry Reid better than Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) in its new scorecard for 2014 votes.

Last year, the Chamber gave Sessions a 57 percent ranking. He voted four times with the big business group, three times against and once didn’t have a recorded vote. Reid, on the other hand, voted with the Chamber five times and against it three times, earning a 63 percent rating.

“Some may be surprised by the scores, but when you look at the bills the Chamber prioritized you can understand why a solid conservative like Jeff Sessions would perform poorly,” Heritage Action spokesman Dan Holler, whose organization does its own scorecards, tells Breitbart News. He says the Chamber’s scorecard “is littered with special interest programs and big government spending.”

Sessions has gone head-to-head with both Reid and the Chamber of Commerce on numerous occasions...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    In answer to the question posed in the title, he is essentially a paleoconservative.

Points from the video...

Pros:
    Nice guy, Constitutionalist, States rights advocate, fiscal conservative, debt hawk.

Cons:
    War on drugs, military hawk, tough on whistleblowers (as is Obama, per Ron).

Not mentioned:

Sessions has consistently stood up to the US Chamber of Commerce, crony corporatists and GOP leadership that is in their pockets.
    I honestly don't understand how one can be a fiscal conservative AND advocate for the war on drugs/military hawk. Morals aside, from a fiscal standpoint how can you look at those things and not think them a waste of money?

Definitely, not L/libertarian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I honestly don't understand how one can be a fiscal conservative AND advocate for the war on drugs/military hawk. Morals aside, from a fiscal standpoint how can you look at those things and not think them a waste of money?

Definitely, not L/libertarian.
    If I were a Senator, I certainly would be talking his ear off to convince him.

As far as the size and scope of government, everybody has their priorities. Rand prioritizes defense (not offense).

Perhaps an analogy would be a person's diet. Some eat like pigs, and weigh 800 lbs (kind of like our current government). Some would cut out all meat. Some would cut out all junk food. Some would only eat meat. Some would eat all carbs, some none. Some would eat a variety of things but carefully count calories. And some would advocate nothing but water and staring into the sun.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If I were a Senator, I certainly would be talking his ear off to convince him.
    I would vote for you.

As far as the size and scope of government, everybody has their priorities. Rand prioritizes defense (not offense).

Perhaps an analogy would be a person's diet. Some eat like pigs, and weigh 800 lbs (kind of like our current government). Some would cut out all meat. Some would cut out all junk food. Some would only eat meat. Some would eat all carbs, some none. Some would eat a variety of things but carefully count calories. And some would advocate nothing but water and staring into the sun.
    Jeff Sessions needs to go on that sun diet.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Going by what has been said in the hearings, the people who have worked for him really like him and think he would be a good AG. The people that have never met him have nothing good to say about him.

I think the role of Senator is different than the role of Attorney General. I'm not sure how that applies to Sessions. He sounds like a good man who functioned well as AL AG. How one functions as a state AG would be very different than how one functions as a US AG. The agendas are very different. In my lifetime I have seen US AGs go against the Constitution to violate laws of the states I've lived in. Maybe Sessions would not do that. I listened to him yesterday and he sounds like a very effective man.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

https://twitter.com/USAB4L/status/819265798976000013

I would vote for you.
    I appreciate your vote of confidence, but it's a job I wouldn't want.

I appreciate your vote of confidence, but it's a job I wouldn't want.
    Generally, the best qualified people are the ones who don't want the job.

I'm not sure the war on drugs is the issue on which this appointment should be judged. But you cannot on the one hand judge Holder and Lynch for not enforcing immigration law, and then expect Sessions to not enforce other law. It is the job of the Attorney General to enforce law, and it sounds as if Sessions did that quite well in Alabama. If you want federal law repealed, then talk to your US representatives and tell them what you want.
    #NashvilleStrong

Generally, the best qualified people are the ones who don't want the job.
    Paul Ryan didn't want to be Speaker, either.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I'm not sure the war on drugs is the issue on which this appointment should be judged. But you cannot on the one hand judge Holder and Lynch for not enforcing immigration law, and then expect Sessions to not enforce other law. It is the job of the Attorney General to enforce law, and it sounds as if Sessions did that quite well in Alabama. If you want federal law repealed, then talk to your US representatives and tell them what you want.
    Agree. And that's essentially what Session said during his confirmation. He will no longer be a legislator, and they are the ones responsible for making the laws.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    sounds like a butthead

He is above average for Washington, but he's very much a team player. Under Clinton and Obama his JBS scores fall between 74 and 94; but under Bush they fall between 52 and 65. Team players are among the most destructive players in Washington.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/index....nameid=S001141
    Amash>Trump

ΟΥ ΓΑΡ ЄCΤΙΝ ЄξΟΥCΙΑ ЄΙ ΜΗ ΥΠΟ ΘЄΟΥ

"Patriotism should come from loving thy neighbor, not from worshiping graven images" - Ironman77

"ideas have the potential of being more powerful than any army....The concept of personal sovereignty was pulled screaming from the ether into this reality by the force of men believing in a self evident truth, that men are meant to be free." - The Northbreather

"Trump is the security blanket of aggrieved white men aged 18-60." - Pinoy

Paul Ryan Disallows Individual Congressmen From Amending Spending Bills

Good video. Ron Paul brought up an interesting topic that I had not seen in the news. He said Paul Ryan changed the laws so that individual congressmen can no longer amend spending bills when the spending is related to gun laws, lgbt laws, abortion laws, and drug laws. So, in other words, Paul Ryan wants there to be spending on gun laws, lgbt laws, abortion laws, and drug laws.

Here is the part of the video where this is stated:

https://www.youtube.com/v/FhPMnDd0rmY&start=374&end=506

Just googled to see if i could find more information on this new rule, but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know any more about this?

A long long long long long time ago, Senator Jeff Sessions acted a tad libertarian, curiously enuff.