Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ocasio-Cortez wants to tax speech?

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    The entire gist of the modern liberal platform other than killing babies is pretty much founded on taking money from who they wish and giving to who they wish with the force of the govt from a public that is not armed as well as the govt , so yeah , pretty sure there are Zero liberals that sympathize with a taxpayer wanting to keep as much of His money as he can . To view them as anything other than the enemy is entering a state of confusion . These are not peaceful people .
    Except that liberals like to think of themselves as peaceful. In fact they like to think that "peacefulness" is their main attribute along with "compassion". The question "what should be done to people that don't pay their taxes" absolutely freaks out liberals. Try it sometime. They get super pissed off and they NEVER answer. That question proves their core belief (redistribution) is theft so they won't answer it. Most conservatives will at least answer the question and admit they are in favor of a penalty, but they also want to minimize it. Most libertarians are against a penalty.

For the record I'm against a penalty, however if you could somehow prove that a country could not raise enough taxes voluntarily to defend itself from invasion, I might be in favor of a penalty using the "lesser of two evils" logic.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I do not think real conservatives would be .
    Unfortunately there are very few real conservatives.

I notice that the Freedom Caucus in Congress only has 34 of 235 Republicans. I think it would be safe to say that less than 15% of Republicans are real conservatives.

It seems to me that very few people can think outside of the box when it comes to the role of government in their lives.

There is a much bigger market for bull$#@! than truth.

Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Except that liberals like to think of themselves as peaceful. In fact they like to think that "peacefulness" is their main attribute along with "compassion". The question "what should be done to people that don't pay their taxes" absolutely freaks out liberals. Try it sometime. They get super pissed off and they NEVER answer. That question proves their core belief (redistribution) is theft so they won't answer it. Most conservatives will at least answer the question and admit they are in favor of a penalty, but they also want to minimize it. Most libertarians are against a penalty.

For the record I'm against a penalty, however if you could somehow prove that a country could not raise enough taxes voluntarily to defend itself from invasion, I might be in favor of a penalty using the "lesser of two evils" logic.
    My primary objection to the government by tip jar concept is that it gives the big donors too much power to tilt the scales of justice by threatening to stop their usual contributions.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

most conservatives would recognize that it IS theft
    Where can one find these conservatives? Rush, Hannity, and 99% of the GOP conservative base don't consider the belief that taxation is theft to be a conservative belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Where can one find these conservatives? Rush, Hannity, and 99% of the GOP conservative base don't consider the belief that taxation is theft to be a conservative belief.
    I don't know, it seems like those guys are against taxation in general. My point is not that conservatives are awesome, my point is that liberals are much, much worse. Liberals are the direct opposite of a libertarian. Conservatives are kinda, sorta libertarians who make a whole bunch of exceptions.

I don't know, it seems like those guys are against taxation in general.
    They are definitely for taxation in general. And they would vehemently castigate anyone who was against taxation in general, and refuse to consider such a position as in any way conservative.

I once heard Hannity say that the ideal income tax rate was 20%. He thought taxes should be reduced to that rate, and it wouldn't be until they got lower than that that they would be too low. His reason: because that's what Reagan supported.

How do you think these conservatives want to pay for all the government spending they support? In their view, Obama totally gutted military spending, and it was and still is vital that we increase it back to whatever they think it needs to be. And this pro-military stance is part of what defines conservatism to them, as well as to most people who use that label the way it's normally used.
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 01-08-2019 at 02:53 PM.

They are definitely for taxation in general. And they would vehemently castigate anyone who was against taxation in general, and refuse to consider such a position in any way conservative.

I once heard Hannity say that the ideal income tax rate was 20%. His reason: because that's what Reagan supported.
    Also he is biased , probably lives in NY and pays over 30 so was thinking of getting himself a break.
    Do something Danke

They are definitely for taxation in general. And they would vehemently castigate anyone who was against taxation in general, and refuse to consider such a position as in any way conservative.

I once heard Hannity say that the ideal income tax rate was 20%. He thought taxes should be reduced to that rate, and it wouldn't be until they got lower than that that they would be too low. His reason: because that's what Reagan supported.

How do you think these conservatives want to pay for all the government spending they support? In their view, Obama totally gutted military spending, and it was and still is vital that we increase it back to whatever they think it needs to be. And this pro-military stance is part of what defines conservatism to them, as well as to most people who use that label the way it's normally used.
    It's all relative. Many liberals including Cortez want a tax rate of at least 70%.

Are you denying that liberals are worse than conservatives?

It's all relative. Many liberals including Cortez want a tax rate of at least 70%.

Are you denying that liberals are worse than conservatives?
    No.

But I will deny that the labels "liberal" and "conservative" are very useful.

By the historically dominant usage of the terms, and the usage that still dominates in most of the world outside the US, the people you're calling conservatives are liberals, and the ones you're calling liberals are conservative.

I will also deny that conservatives are always better than liberals. On some issues they are, and on others they are worse. And on some issues, what's called liberal one decade will be called conservative the next and vice versa, such as what we're seeing now with immigration policies.

At any rate, getting back to the question that prompted this line of discussion, someone said that they liked to ask so-called liberals what should be done to tax evaders, noting that liberals had trouble answering that. And my retort is still just as applicable, that the same question should be posed to conservatives. And that, in fact, it will generally prove to be the case that so-called conservatives will be more strident than so-called liberals in their demands that tax-evaders (and all other law-breakers, for law and order are sacrosanct to today's so-called "conservatives") be imprisoned and shot dead if they resist arrest.

No.

But I will deny that the labels "liberal" and "conservative" are very useful.

By the historically dominant usage of the terms, and the usage that still dominates in most of the world outside the US, the people you're calling conservatives are liberals, and the ones you're calling liberals are conservative.

I will also deny that conservatives are always better than liberals. On some issues they are, and on others they are worse. And on some issues, what's called liberal one decade will be called conservative the next and vice versa, such as what we're seeing now with immigration policies.

At any rate, getting back to the question that prompted this line of discussion, someone said that they liked to ask so-called liberals what should be done to tax evaders, noting that liberals had trouble answering that. And my retort is still just as applicable, that the same question should be posed to conservatives. And that, in fact, it will generally prove to be the case that so-called conservatives will be more strident than so-called liberals in their demands that tax-evaders (and all other law-breakers, for law and order are sacrosanct to today's so-called "conservatives") be imprisoned and shot dead if they resist arrest.
    Actually liberals want tax-evaders shot just as dead as conservatives. Otherwise their whole philosophy is wiped out. It's just that they won't answer the question if you ask them.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...232952097.html

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez responded Saturday to GOP strategist Ed Rollins’ reference to her as “little girl” during an appearance on Fox Business Friday, calling his characterization of her “misogyny” that should be taxed.

“GOP loves to insult my intelligence, yet offers *this* as their best + most seasoned opposition to my policy proposals. If anything, this dude is a walking argument to tax misogyny at 100%,” she said in a tweet. “Republicans rob everyone the opportunity of real policy debate by resorting to this.”

During a guest appearance with host Lou Dobbs on Friday, Rollins dismissed Rep. Ocasio-Cortez as a “little girl” over her remarks to “60 Minutes” this week that top earners should be taxed up to 70 percent.

Also Read:Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Slams Right-Wing Twitter Troll for Calling Her a 'Bitch'

“If you’re going to put her out front with her mouth, she now has attention she’s never had before and you’re going to put the little girl who wants to do pre-Reagan economics and seventy percent taxes, the Democrat women are basically going to be damaged badly,” Rollins said.

Is there anything she won't tax?
    He did use the wrong word, perhaps Hussy works better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12