Thread: Syrian Rebels Try to Shoot Down Commercial Airliner

Syrian Rebels Try to Shoot Down Commercial Airliner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe they really are this wretched, or maybe someone overdubbed the dialogue for propaganda purposes. I don't know.

idiots.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

Is it just me or did I hear an American voice on the radio at around 1:35?

I can confirm the translation is accurate.
    Inactive

List of Liberty-minded candidates for Congress in 2014
    Party: Libertarian (since registration) / Religion: none (Ignostic)

“If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.”
    ― Dhammapada, v. 61

"Asking why there are no Libertarian countries is akin to asking why there are no Atheist Theocracies." - #AncapJackal

Quote Originally Posted by Smart3 View Post
    I can confirm the translation is accurate.
    Are you able to see their lips to tell if that is them actually saying it?
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

saw a video on liveleak where rebels were being paid in US dollars

Quote Originally Posted by ninepointfive View Post
    saw a video on liveleak where rebels were being paid in US dollars
    people do use dollars over there
    “I'm real, Ron, I'm real!” — Rick Santorum
    “Congratulations.” — Ron Paul¹

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muwahid View Post
    People use dollars everywhere. For example in Russia when you want to buy something expensive (home appliances, a car, a boat, etc) you always may in dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Muwahid View Post
    I am sure there are CIA dollars floating around Syria as well.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

'Til death do us part: Marriage destroyed by war

Just months ago, 18-year-old Ayat Al-Qassab danced with her family as she celebrated her marriage. Now, her shattered and bloodied body lies in a grave below the crumbling buildings of Homs. As her parents bury their third child, they celebrate and thank God for her martyrdom.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/29/world/...html?hpt=hp_c1

At first I was surprised to see this on the front page of CNN, because at first I thought they were talking about the drone strikes....

I was thinking about the wrong muslims, my bad
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

http://news.yahoo.com/syria-rebels-f...143342865.html

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Syrian rebels fired warning shots at an airliner preparing to take off from Aleppo airport in the first direct attack on a civilian flight since the uprising in Syria began 21 months ago, a rebel commander said on Friday.

The commander, who gave his name only as Khaldoun, told Reuters by Skype that snipers from his brigade had hit the wheels of Syrian Airways flight RB201 on Thursday.

"Those were warning shots," he said, adding that the plane had been unable to take off. "We wanted to send a message to the regime that all their planes - military and civilian - are within our reach."

There were no immediate reports of the incident on Syrian state media.

Rebels accuse the government of using civilian aircraft to transport weapons and Iranian fighters they say are helping President Bashar al-Assad's forces. Insurgents have cut off many of the road links to Aleppo, Syria's biggest city.

Fighting around Damascus has made the road to the capital's international airport unsafe for traffic. Foreign airlines have stopped flying there. According to flight schedules, the Cairo-bound RB201 usually flies from Damascus rather than Aleppo.

"What happened with Damascus airport will happen to Aleppo, even if the price is higher," Khaldoun said in reference to battles convulsing Aleppo since July.

Another rebel urged civilians not to use Aleppo airport or Syrian Air flights "as they will be targets from now on".

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    'Til death do us part: Marriage destroyed by war

Just months ago, 18-year-old Ayat Al-Qassab danced with her family as she celebrated her marriage. Now, her shattered and bloodied body lies in a grave below the crumbling buildings of Homs. As her parents bury their third child, they celebrate and thank God for her martyrdom.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/29/world/...html?hpt=hp_c1

At first I was surprised to see this on the front page of CNN, because at first I thought they were talking about the drone strikes....

I was thinking about the wrong muslims, my bad

Of course they'd put anti-Assad propaganda on the front page.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mmfmj View Post
    [SNIPPED]
    "Those were warning shots," he said, adding that the plane had been unable to take off. "We wanted to send a message to the regime that all their planes - military and civilian - are within our reach."
    [SNIPPED]
    GTFOH 'those were warning shots.' They just had such rusty, piece of $#@! AA guns that they couldn't line up the shot. I'm sure word will come down that they better knock that $#@! off. Can't drum up American support with a blown up airplane. Of course, they could always say Assad was the one who blew it up.

Wow, that bunch of guys seems stunningly incompetent.

First, they don't know the difference between a civilian plane and a military airliner.

Second, they obviously lack discipline as their leader had to tell them not to shoot. Also, one dude had a flag tied around his neck, which suggests they have no uniform standards...or for that matter no military training at all.

While its kind of broad conclusion to make based on the crew of one anti-aircraft gun, the rebels have got to be getting a LOT of help to have made the kind of progress they've made. Those guys don't seem like they could fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Best,

James

Guys,

I just want to weigh in with another thought here. We've been giving money and support to the Syrian rebels for a while. These situation tend to get messy in terms of who gets what money and which weapons (think Afghanistan post soviet withdrawal). Since Al-Qaida is in Syria, won't some our money and support inevitably go to Al-Qaida? I remember 9/11...so any situation which even has the hint of supporting Al-Qaida seems like a really, really bad idea to me.
    Last edited by james1844; 12-30-2012 at 10:35 AM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by james1844 View Post
    Since Al-Qaida is in Syria, won't some our money and support inevitably go to Al-Qaida? I remember 9/11...so any situation which even has the hint of supporting Al-Qaida seems like a really, really bad idea to me.
    Our gov has been sending money to Al-Qaeda for a very long time I don't imagine they will stop now
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Are you able to see their lips to tell if that is them actually saying it?
    The words used are accurately translated into English.
    Inactive

List of Liberty-minded candidates for Congress in 2014
    Party: Libertarian (since registration) / Religion: none (Ignostic)

“If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.”
    ― Dhammapada, v. 61

"Asking why there are no Libertarian countries is akin to asking why there are no Atheist Theocracies." - #AncapJackal