View Poll Results: Is being on foodstamps bad?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • wholly bad

13 25.49%
  • indiferent

5 9.80%
  • depends on circumstance

22 43.14%
  • no, they are good

2 3.92%
  • get off of them now!

9 17.65%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How does one one get off foodstamps?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by driller80545 View Post
    Ok, I'll say it: Oilfield's hiring roughnecks!!!! No experience required. Good pay, good benefits, unlimited advancement potential.
    WHAT!!!????

No way.........................

You mean there's real work out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    WHAT!!!????

No way.........................

You mean there's real work out there?
    Yeah, unfortunately those kinds of jobs require actual labor which turns most of the emasculated crybaby whiners like the OP off from them.

Quote Originally Posted by VBRonPaulFan View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately those kinds of jobs require actual labor which turns most of the emasculated crybaby whiners like the OP off from them.
    I'd love to send my older kid out there. Long days of hard work would do him an amazing amount of good.

Quote Originally Posted by palm View Post

Considering that you've deleted that post along with all of your other posts, I'm going to assume you deleted it because you said the worst thing you possible could have said

... you mosnter
    If you wanted some sort of Ideological purity, you'll get none of that from me.

I see most of Palm's posts were deleted, but if I recall the basic tone of it all, I think there is a lesson for us to learn here. Palm is a product of a progressive society, there are some inherent character flaws there, but a lot of it is because of what he has grown up in. For example:

1) He grew up in foster care and has no family support for his education - Buchanan was talking about the destruction of the American family for years now. This is an example of what occurs when there is no family unit.

2) He is taking student loans and grants to pay for his education - there's a lot to be said about that of course, but the notion that he should have worked his way through school was likely never a thought in the first place, because the money was there to be had. He is going to community college. The cost there (he attends the one in my area) is about $500 for a 3 credit class. That is more than affordable for someone who wants to work their way through school.

3) He is working a retail job (GameStop IIRC). That is a low paying job that is designed for part time and teenage workers. Jobs like that are not meant to sustain life. However, as a product of the progressive society, it appears that was not a consideration. As many have noted, there are plenty of jobs out there for those that wish to do some hard work.

4) He has lofty ideas. While it is great to want to start a business, and to have ideas about that, his ideas were far beyond what would be achievable by someone of his age and experience. Big dreams, without a grasp on reality - likely encouraged by our society that fails to give people a reality check. So the wheels are spun and nothing is ever accomplished.

5) His communication skills were poor. For those that saw his letter to an employer, you can see that his communication was below average. He is a product of our public education system, and is in college, but does not have the ability to communicate properly.

While I don't mean to pick on him specifically, he put himself out there as an example. And it is one that speaks volumes about the problems that liberalism has created.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I'd love to send my older kid out there. Long days of hard work would do him an amazing amount of good.
    Yeah, I get disgusted with people my age (i'm 29) and especially younger now who are always talking $#@! about what they're 'going to do', but that never want to get off of their ass to actually put in the work to get there. Our society is turning into a bunch of bitches who want, want, want, but don't want to do the hard work to get to it. They assume that they can just go to school, get a few good marks by teachers who don't give enough of a $#@! to teach but are more interested in just passing you through the system, and they'll graduate and land a job paying them six digits.

Palm, that isn't the way life works, bud. Be prepared to start at the bottom of the ladder doing relatively monotonous, $#@!ty work until you've proven yourself. You work hard, get promoted, and work to where you want to go. You don't get what you want right away because you think you're awesome and 'deserve' it.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone717 View Post

4) He has lofty ideas. While it is great to want to start a business, and to have ideas about that, his ideas were far beyond what would be achievable by someone of his age and experience. Big dreams, without a grasp on reality - likely encouraged by our society that fails to give people a reality check. So the wheels are spun and nothing is ever accomplished.
    How is he not old enough or experienced enough to start his own business? Mark Zuckerberg was in his early twenties when he started facebook and thats now a roughly $100 billion business. The same can be said for Jobbs or Gates. You don't need 50 years of experience to start a business. You just need to be smarter and more determined than everyone else.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by VBRonPaulFan View Post
    Yeah, I get disgusted with people my age (i'm 29) and especially younger now who are always talking $#@! about what they're 'going to do', but that never want to get off of their ass to actually put in the work to get there. Our society is turning into a bunch of bitches who want, want, want, but don't want to do the hard work to get to it. They assume that they can just go to school, get a few good marks by teachers who don't give enough of a $#@! to teach but are more interested in just passing you through the system, and they'll graduate and land a job paying them six digits.

Palm, that isn't the way life works, bud. Be prepared to start at the bottom of the ladder doing relatively monotonous, $#@!ty work until you've proven yourself. You work hard, get promoted, and work to where you want to go. You don't get what you want right away because you think you're awesome and 'deserve' it.
    My older one doesn't even think he needs college. He's very gifted - smart as a whip - but we (both parents and his educators) told him exactly how smart he is, so he believes that he doesn't need an education. He has no drive to succeed, content to cruise by on as little work as possible. Breaks my heart.

My uncle spend 16 years in the Navy. Got a Masters in finanace while he was in, and taught at the Navy school in San Diego. When it came time for him to re-up for the last time before he qualified for retirement, he found he'd have to spend some time on a ship again, and wanted nothing to do with that. So he left the military, expecting to enter the civilian world as someone commanding a top salary. Didn't happen. He ended up taking a job at a pest control company, eventually buying his own franchise about 10 years after that.

The world owes you nothing, and is perfectly happy to give you just that when you demand what's rightfully yours.

Quote Originally Posted by tttppp View Post
    How is he not old enough or experienced enough to start his own business? Mark Zuckerberg was in his early twenties when he started facebook and thats now a roughly $100 billion business. The same can be said for Jobbs or Gates. You don't need 50 years of experience to start a business. You just need to be smarter and more determined than everyone else.
    1.)Those are the exception not the rule.
    2.)They have a skill (computers) which counts as experience. Palm does not appear to have any of those things. Also, they had money. Something Palm does not.

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    Lol wow. Two people voted that being a victim of this takeover by design is "wholly bad"

Would either of you care to explain why?
    It's morally wrong. It's theft. It makes you dependent. It stops you from learning the skills necessary to take care of yourself.

They are wholly bad.

My older one doesn't even think he needs college. He's very gifted - smart as a whip - but we (both parents and his educators) told him exactly how smart he is, so he believes that he doesn't need an education. He has no drive to succeed, content to cruise by on as little work as possible. Breaks my heart.
    Unfortunately this happens all too often. I speak from experience, as I am that "smart one" that has no drive really. I consider myself to be extremely smart, but when I was in school I coasted the entire way through, because it was boring and didn't challenge me at all. I honestly don't think I learned anything in high school except for some English rules. Other than that, everything I learned I learned on my own time.

Also, in regards to your earlier comment about real men don't accept govt. handouts. I agree with you. So we aren't a dead breed (just a dying one)

Quote Originally Posted by jcannon98188 View Post
    1.)Those are the exception not the rule.
    2.)They have a skill (computers) which counts as experience. Palm does not appear to have any of those things. Also, they had money. Something Palm does not.
    What he wants to do has not been done before. So how is he suppose to get experience? The only way he can get experience is to start his own business.

There are companies that specialize in startup investing. He can get money from them if he knows what he is doing.

His idea is a restaurant business. He doesn't have to be an expert in computers. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to put together a menu of healthy food.

What he wants to do has not been done before. So how is he suppose to get experience? The only way he can get experience is to start his own business.

There are companies that specialize in startup investing. He can get money from them if he knows what he is doing.

His idea is a restaurant business. He doesn't have to be an expert in computers. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to put together a menu of healthy food.
    Start up capital for a restaurant is high. Rent, equipment, supplies, staff, etc. Likely 100K minimum for the smallest of places. I have a hard time thinking that there will be capital investors for a new restaurant if it is being headed up by someone with little, if any, industry experience and no cash of their own in the project.

As an investor, why would I gamble on a new restaurant and take all the risk, when I could just as easily purchase an existing restaurant with established business?

Start up capital for a restaurant is high. Rent, equipment, supplies, staff, etc. Likely 100K minimum for the smallest of places. I have a hard time thinking that there will be capital investors for a new restaurant if it is being headed up by someone with little, if any, industry experience and no cash of their own in the project.

As an investor, why would I gamble on a new restaurant and take all the risk, when I could just as easily purchase an existing restaurant with established business?
    There are no restaurants doing what he wants to do. Why would I want to invest in the same crap that everyone else does? I don't. I don't want to eat at those crappy restaurants, and I certainly don't want to invest in them.

If he has his idea clearly thought out, I think investors would consider investing provided he surrounded himself with a good team.

Also, I'm not saying he's smart enough to do this or not. I'm just saying there's nothing stopping someone his age from doing something like this. Many investors are also more likely to invest in a young person than someone who is old. The perception is that young people have better ideas and are more innovative.

Your choice. I wouldn't either. But everybody invests differently, and if he can find an investor then hurrah for him. But his attitude, which seems to consist of alternating between asking for advice then angrily and defensively taking any won't go far with the money men.

Look how his story changed and subsequently disappeared in this thread. Is that indicative of somebody you'd trust to do business with? People who invest wisely tend to be able to spot bull$#@! a mile away.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Seems like I missed an interesting thread before this guy deleted all his posts.

Your choice. I wouldn't either. But everybody invests differently, and if he can find an investor then hurrah for him. But his attitude, which seems to consist of alternating between asking for advice then angrily and defensively taking any won't go far with the money men.

Look how his story changed and subsequently disappeared in this thread. Is that indicative of somebody you'd trust to do business with? People who invest wisely tend to be able to spot bull$#@! a mile away.
    I would love to own a restaurant and actually have a pretty solid idea for one, however, most restaurants fail, and fail hard. Plus, my idea would only work in a cosmopolitan setting, and that's the last place I'd want to live these days.

I should try to sell the business model to someone though, or be a distant partner or something.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

Being on food stamps isn't good. The bigger problem than the single mother on food stamps is the politicians that created them and the politicians who vote against reducing food stamps.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

There are no restaurants doing what he wants to do. Why would I want to invest in the same crap that everyone else does? I don't. I don't want to eat at those crappy restaurants, and I certainly don't want to invest in them.
    If a restaurant is turning a profit then people will invest in it, regardless of how crappy the food might be. Why else would McDonald's have a market cap of 98 billion. Remember for investors and venture capitalists it is all about the bottom line.

If he has his idea clearly thought out, I think investors would consider investing provided he surrounded himself with a good team.

Also, I'm not saying he's smart enough to do this or not. I'm just saying there's nothing stopping someone his age from doing something like this. Many investors are also more likely to invest in a young person than someone who is old. The perception is that young people have better ideas and are more innovative.
    It takes more than a good idea to get investors. You need to have a demonstrated revenue stream and skin in the game. Have you ever sought investment capital for a business venture? I have and I know that it is extremely difficult to get money unless you already have something in place. Investors do not invest in ideas, they invest in businesses. What he has is an idea, it may be a good one, but he needs to invest his own money to prove it is a viable commodity before he can expect others to partner with him. Unless of course they are family or friends that will take a stake in him - but people from the outside are not going to invest in an idea.

I have friend in the business. He and his wife started out young, in their early 20's. They were both in the industry for a few years when they decided to open their own place. To get the money, he tended bar and she waited tables about 80 hours per week. They lived in a one bedroom apartment, they had one car between the two of them - they denied themselves every luxury most of us take for granted. They saved up enough cash over a few years (about 200K) and started a small place, they built it up over the years and now (about 15 years later) they never have to work another day for the rest of their lives. In fact they started a second restaurant about 5 years ago, built that one up and sold it for 2.5 mil. They still have their first place.

But there is a difference between them and what the OP has talked about - they worked their asses off, 2 jobs a piece for years to get to where they are. The OP has not expressed that level of commitment in his posts.
    Last edited by tbone717; 04-20-2012 at 12:46 PM.

If a restaurant is turning a profit then people will invest in it, regardless of how crappy the food might be. Why else would McDonald's have a market cap of 98 billion. Remember for investors and venture capitalists it is all about the bottom line.

It takes more than a good idea to get investors. You need to have a demonstrated revenue stream and skin in the game. Have you ever sought investment capital for a business venture? I have and I know that it is extremely difficult to get money unless you already have something in place. Investors do not invest in ideas, they invest in businesses. What he has is an idea, it may be a good one, but he needs to invest his own money to prove it is a viable commodity before he can expect others to partner with him. Unless of course they are family or friends that will take a stake in him - but people from the outside are not going to invest in an idea.

I have friend in the business. He and his wife started out young, in their early 20's. They were both in the industry for a few years when they decided to open their own place. To get the money, he tended bar and she waited tables about 80 hours per week. They lived in a one bedroom apartment, they had one car between the two of them - they denied themselves every luxury most of us take for granted. They saved up enough cash over a few years (about 200K) and started a small place, they built it up over the years and now (about 15 years later) they never have to work another day for the rest of their lives. In fact they started a second restaurant about 5 years ago, built that one up and sold it for 2.5 mil. They still have their first place.

But there is a difference between them and what the OP has talked about - they worked their asses off, 2 jobs a piece for years to get to where they are. The OP has not expressed that level of commitment in his posts.
    There is a huge market available for someone who wants to sell real food. Take it from the perspective of someone who only eats healthy foods, there are hardly any restaurants you can go to that sell you healthy foods. I would like to eat out more, but there is not much available.

I've sought capital before, and you are right that many investors want you to have an established business and want you to have exhausted all your money and your friends and family's money. But what really sells investors is having one simple compelling concept that is capable of making a ton of money. Anyone who has tried to eat healthy knows there is a huge gaping hole in the restaurant/health food industry. I am confident that if I wanted to, I could sell this concept to investors. The bigger issue is is this guy going to do everything that is necessary to make that business successful. I don't know that answer. I don't know him. But thats something he would have to demonstrate to get money.

There is a huge market available for someone who wants to sell real food. Take it from the perspective of someone who only eats healthy foods, there are hardly any restaurants you can go to that sell you healthy foods. I would like to eat out more, but there is not much available.

I've sought capital before, and you are right that many investors want you to have an established business and want you to have exhausted all your money and your friends and family's money. But what really sells investors is having one simple compelling concept that is capable of making a ton of money. Anyone who has tried to eat healthy knows there is a huge gaping hole in the restaurant/health food industry. I am confident that if I wanted to, I could sell this concept to investors. The bigger issue is is this guy going to do everything that is necessary to make that business successful. I don't know that answer. I don't know him. But thats something he would have to demonstrate to get money.
    I understand where you are coming from, but understand that concepts are a dime a dozen. And honestly, there is nothing preventing an investor from hearing an idea and taking it for his own. There is no patent on good ideas. Unless someone is financially invested in an idea, they have little to offer potential investors. A patent, well that is a different story because there is IP in the patent, but a really good idea for a restaurant is not going to get someone to fork over the necessary cash to get it running unless the person comes to them with capital.

Now let's say you have 100K of your own money and need another 100K to get going - well in that case you have something to offer, but if all you have is an idea on paper, you aren't going to get far.Now you may be able to sell the idea to investors for a small amount of money, but having long term equity in the business requires you having some skin in the game. Investors are looking for one thing - a return on their money. They aren't looking to work for it, that is what the money does for them.

Quote Originally Posted by palm View Post
    --
    palm there is nothing wrong with taking food stamps. fuk those people who give u the moral argument blah blah blah, its you vs the government. if you did a financial balance sheet of all your income vs taxes, even a bum pays 10-20% in taxes though "user tax" such as sales, fee, etc.. you should do everything in your powers to get that money back including going on food stamps if your eligible and staying on the food stamps long as possible.
    bottom line, you can't think it as a handout or helping out, u need to think of it as getting money back.

EDIT: then u get the $#@!ed up people who say "hey my taxes are going to pay for that" technically no. his grand children is going to pay for that. (plus if u even audit those $#@!ed up republicans, most of them are on different welfare like social security, army pension, or government pension.)
    Last edited by psi2941; 04-20-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    Rand Benedict Paul.
    Not only did he sell us out, this douche bag did it to his own father! I'm more upset him selling his father out. I don't care who i think is going to win i would never sell my father out. If his willing to sell his father out what else is for sale?

One of the other problems with Food Stamps is that it is a trap into the system. I quick looked up the eligibility requirements and a single person earning less than $1037 per month is eligible. So where is the incentive for someone to go out and get a job that pays them more money? If you are making $1000 per month and getting government hand outs via food stamps, why would you take a job that pays you 1200 a month and lose your benefit?

This is something that the progressives knew would occur which is why the plan itself is so destructive to people. This, along with other forms of welfare, enslave people into a government system that many can't or won't ever get out of. It was just on the news today that one in seven people are getting food stamps now - that is a problem that will only get worse, unless we change the system and the overall culture of entitlement that we have in this country.

We need to go back to the way things were done in that past with charities taking care of the poor and needy. That way individuals can monitor people's progress and get them off the handouts rather than enslaving them to a life of welfare.

There used to be a church program in an area we used to live in. When they had someone come to them that was in need, someone from the church would sit down with them and go over their finances. Until they got rid of every luxury (cable, internet, gym memberships, etc) they would not get anything from the charity. They were then mentored by someone who would show them how to live within their means and help them improve their situation. A far better solution for those experiencing a temporary set back in life.
    Last edited by tbone717; 04-20-2012 at 02:50 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    One of the other problems with Food Stamps is that it is a trap into the system. I quick looked up the eligibility requirements and a single person earning less than $1037 per month is eligible. So where is the incentive for someone to go out and get a job that pays them more money? If you are making $1000 per month and getting government hand outs via food stamps, why would you take a job that pays you 1200 a month and lose your benefit?

This is something that the progressives knew would occur which is why the plan itself is so destructive to people. This, along with other forms of welfare, enslave people into a government system that many can't or won't ever get out of. It was just on the news today that one in seven people are getting food stamps now - that is a problem that will only get worse, unless we change the system and the overall culture of entitlement that we have in this country.
    Add price and currency inflation in, and it's a nightmare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by psi2941 View Post
    palm there is nothing wrong with taking food stamps. fuk those people who give u the moral argument blah blah blah, its you vs the government. if you did a financial balance sheet of all your income vs taxes, even a bum pays 10-20% in taxes though "user tax" such as sales, fee, etc.. you should do everything in your powers to get that money back including going on food stamps if your eligible and staying on the food stamps long as possible.
    bottom line, you can't think it as a handout or helping out, u need to think of it as getting money back.

EDIT: then u get the $#@!ed up people who say "hey my taxes are going to pay for that" technically no. his grand children is going to pay for that. (plus if u even audit those $#@!ed up republicans, most of them are on different welfare like social security, army pension, or government pension.)
    Oh its FINE! Take the Food Stamps. After all, its not us that pays for it, its your grandchildren!

Real wonderful argument there genius. How the hell does a person who claims to support freedom even think something like this? It is thinking like yours that got us all screwed in the first place. Idiot.

I understand where you are coming from, but understand that concepts are a dime a dozen. And honestly, there is nothing preventing an investor from hearing an idea and taking it for his own. There is no patent on good ideas. Unless someone is financially invested in an idea, they have little to offer potential investors. A patent, well that is a different story because there is IP in the patent, but a really good idea for a restaurant is not going to get someone to fork over the necessary cash to get it running unless the person comes to them with capital.

Now let's say you have 100K of your own money and need another 100K to get going - well in that case you have something to offer, but if all you have is an idea on paper, you aren't going to get far.Now you may be able to sell the idea to investors for a small amount of money, but having long term equity in the business requires you having some skin in the game. Investors are looking for one thing - a return on their money. They aren't looking to work for it, that is what the money does for them.
    It depends on the entrepreneur. If investors feel like he can get the job done, there's really no reason not to invest if they like the concept.

I really don't feel like concepts are a dime a dozen. Usually the person who invents the concept is the best person to actually run it. Other people can try and copy it, but if they don't truly understand it, they are not going to get the same results as the person who invented it. One example I can give is the system I designed as a manager to help run our business. Nomatter how great I was at developing new supervisors to run the place, they could never run my system as good as me when I wasn't there. You just can't replace a great leader who knows the rules inside and out.

If investors don't want to work for their return, why would they want to steal your idea and run it themselves? The safe money would be to invest in someone who is willing to do the dirty work and who can up with the concept himself.

I've heard investors give speeches similar to yours, so there is some validity to that. I've read all these bull$#@! things investors say they want a potential investment to have, but when you are presenting to them the one thing they are focused on his your CONCEPT.
    Last edited by tttppp; 04-20-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcannon98188 View Post
    Oh its FINE! Take the Food Stamps. After all, its not us that pays for it, its your grandchildren!

Real wonderful argument there genius. How the hell does a person who claims to support freedom even think something like this? It is thinking like yours that got us all screwed in the first place. Idiot.
    what does supporting freedom have to do with to protecting your expenses.

So lets say a business owners who grosses 250k in profit per doesn't want to pay the 30% income tax because that's just insane to pay 30% of your income to the government and instead pays himself according to the law a reasonable wage of his services of 30k per year. Then after that he pays himself as corporate dividends at the rate of 15%. is that wrong too? according to the spirit of the law he should be paying about 30% but now he really is only paying 16-17%. are all those Americans are the problem too? (mitts been doing this for years) (steve jobs too, his salary was 1 dollar per year)

EDIT: honestly, i would not even bother with all this bs, if it wasn't for the government taking too much. even a church who operate on a voluntary 10% basis does a better job then a government who forces everyone to pay around 50% if u include every tax and hidden tax.
    Last edited by psi2941; 04-20-2012 at 04:38 PM.
    Rand Benedict Paul.
    Not only did he sell us out, this douche bag did it to his own father! I'm more upset him selling his father out. I don't care who i think is going to win i would never sell my father out. If his willing to sell his father out what else is for sale?

Exactly... why would you want to EARN an extra $100 per month when it would cause you to lose a $500/mo benefit?

I see this as the major problem with the "food stamps" etc. system as well. It creates INCENTIVE to keep below requirements because the moment you're a penny over... you lose hundreds per month.

CITIZENS's DIVIDENDS

I think the "food stamp" system is necessary... there are many genuinely needy that would starve without the program (there are many a senile, severely handicapped, mentally ill, etc. amongst us). The GREATEST problem lies in the disincentive created when you're at the poverty line to ever make it above the poverty line; when you're kinda handicapped, but could get by with great effort; when you're unemployed and could get a job but are floating on benefits.... I think every man woman and child should get stamps; equal rations for all... For those that need them... they eat. For those that don't need them... they're a kick back on what you pay in... and you still eat. For those that are at the poverty line... they are a safety PLATFORM for ALL instead of a safety NET for the failing: a platform from which to improve yourself, take risk, and grow economically without ever having to worry about losing your benefit and being worse off just because you get a $1 raise. And for those that want to give them back... I say you get a income tax % reduction every year you decline your dividend.

I think if we're going to have welfare programs... then they should not be for the needy, but for all. Entitlements for "degenerate" groups only creates more degenerates; its like feeding rats.

thoughts?

flames?

presence
    Last edited by presence; 04-20-2012 at 05:47 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

It depends on the entrepreneur. If investors feel like he can get the job done, there's really no reason not to invest if they like the concept.

I really don't feel like concepts are a dime a dozen. Usually the person who invents the concept is the best person to actually run it. Other people can try and copy it, but if they don't truly understand it, they are not going to get the same results as the person who invented it. One example I can give is the system I designed as a manager to help run our business. Nomatter how great I was at developing new supervisors to run the place, they could never run my system as good as me when I wasn't there. You just can't replace a great leader who knows the rules inside and out.

If investors don't want to work for their return, why would they want to steal your idea and run it themselves? The safe money would be to invest in someone who is willing to do the dirty work and who can up with the concept himself.

I've heard investors give speeches similar to yours, so there is some validity to that. I've read all these bull$#@! things investors say they want a potential investment to have, but when you are presenting to them the one thing they are focused on his your CONCEPT.
    From my own experience in business (which is over 25 years), I never knew of someone who had an idea alone and was 100% financed through outside investors, especially something as generic as a restaurant. Yeah, yeah I know he has a really cool restaurant idea, but restaurants as a whole are a very risky investment.

When it comes to investments, concept is important, but what matters the most is the potential return on investment and that can only be demonstrated through a track record of existing sales. It would be really hard to convince me that a restaurant being run by someone with no previous restaurant ownership experience is going to be a smart investment.

Really though this all goes back to the core issue here, which is the desire to work hard to get what you want. If I recall the OP's posts correctly, there was always an excuse being made for his life situation. For someone like myself who worked part time jobs and made a lot of personal sacrifices to support my business as it was growing, I have little sympathy for someone that isn't spending every waking moment of their day working or looking for work instead of taking a government handout.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast